• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Any sweet metal covers of otherwise non-metal songs?

Children of Bodom had that Skeletons in the Closet (Youtube playlist) release which was pretty cool.

Northern Kings.... Yeaaaah, not for me.

What other fantastic cover songs am I missing?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyway, for those who didn't see it in the first thread, I asked about everyone's favorite Iron Maiden songs.
Okay here's mine, in no particular order (tried to limit it to 15):

To Tame a Land
Powerslave
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Infinite Dreams
Alexander the Great
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Flight of Icarus
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Remember Tomorrow
Purgatory
Wasted Years
The Prophecy
The Clairvoyant
Killers
Prowler

Episode_(album)_cover.jpg

Season Of Change
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK74UqiuQIw

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's so roomy and luxurious in here.

Favorite Maiden Songs?
For listening:
Wasted Years
Powerslave
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Ghost of the Navigator

That's just the short-list. Realistically, I love anything off the first seven albums +brave new world, and occasionally listen to the post-bnw albums too. Paschendale,The Longest Day,and When the Wild Wind Blows are probably my most-played3 off those records. Don't think I've ever made it all the way through No Prayer for the Dying

But for playing badly on guitar? Aces High is my most-used song.

yaaaa new thread

Only 8 years to the next one.

Really, probably longer than that, unless people capitalize on events to make feeder threads outside of the purgatory of the community section.

But hey, purgatory is kind of metal, yeah? Suffering and redemption.

Maybe that dio tribute album will be big enough news to warrant its own thread...

Sweet lists, for sure (as in, the Maiden songs). All this Maiden talk reminds me I haven't listened to Seventh Son for a whole day. I should remedy that.

Also, I second the Unleashed in the East recommendations. The Fleetwood Mac cover is a personal favorite of mine when it comes to Priest, which is odd because it's both live and not even their own song. They just did a hell of a job covering it.

All y'all fools who are mentioning top Maiden songs and NOT INCLUDING FREAKING MOONCHILD are insane

It is one of the most badass songs of all times. The intro, the CORRECT use of synths (i.e. sparingly and only to set the mood early on), the riffs and drumming, complementary basslines, the passion dripping from Bruce's voice, and the goddam amazing lyrics.

I am he the bornless one
The fallen angel watching you
Babylon, the scarlet whore
I'll infiltrate your gratitude
Don't you dare to save your son
Kill him now and save the young ones
Be the mother of a birth strangled babe
Be the devils own, Lucifer's my name

And if you try to save your soul
I will torment you - you shall not grow old
With every second and passing breath
You'll be so alone your soul will bleed to death

One more dies one more lives
One baby cries One mother grieves
For all the sins you will commit
You'll beg forgiveness and none I'll give

I mean for Dio's sake, Maiden-GAF... this song literally has it all

Indeed. Such is the cross we bear.

Speaking of which, the first song of the upcoming Dio tribute album has been released!

Who better to honor a metal god than the venerable Halestorm?

Oh, right. Literally anyone else.

LOL...I remember going to shows when their dad was the bass player. I didn't particularly care for them then, or now.

I'd like to take this moment to express how Megadeth suffers from Spiderman 3 syndrome for me.

Super Collider and Mustaine's antics the past few years have nearly ruined what made Megadeth great. Hell even St. Anger and the Napster thing couldn't ruin Metallica for me the way Mustaine is ruining Megadeth. Their not even fun to watch live. :(

Also, I've giving Machine Head a shot. Starting with The Blackening since its apparently their most thrash-like album, and I love me some thrash.

Edit: Nvm I couldn't even get past the first song :/

If you care about buying digital, amazon.com has a Metal sale going on through march.

Physical or bust!

I'd like to take this moment to express how Megadeth suffers from Spiderman 3 syndrome for me.

Super Collider and Mustaine's antics the past few years have nearly ruined what made Megadeth great. Hell even St. Anger and the Napster thing couldn't ruin Metallica for me the way Mustaine is ruining Megadeth. Their not even fun to watch live. :(

Also, I've giving Machine Head a shot. Starting with The Blackening since its apparently their most thrash-like album, and I love me some thrash.

Edit: Nvm I couldn't even get past the first song :/

You started with the wrong Machine Head IMO. Go back to their original stuff, it's still what I like best. I would recommend:

Davidian

Went to an Alcest show earlier this year, they performed some of their older and heavier stuff, like Percees De Lumiere, which was nice.

Nice, they seem really chill live and I love their older stuff. The new album is laaame though, it doesn't really go anywhere; just vapid feel-good shoegaze without the counterbalance of any sort of tension or catharsis that the other albums had.

FACE

Banned
You started with the wrong Machine Head IMO. Go back to their original stuff, it's still what I like best. I would recommend:

Davidian

His mistake wasn't starting with the wrong album, it was giving Machine Head a chance.

HammerOfThor, instead of listening to that shitty band you should've just listened to Eternal Nightmare.

His mistake wasn't starting with the wrong album, it was giving Machine Head a chance.

HammerOfThor, instead of listening to that shitty band you should've just listened to Eternal Nightmare.

A valid argument for some. One that needs more balls than Eternal Nightmare in it though.

If you are one of those people who haven't heard Eternal Nightmare by Vio-Lence yet, do so now. Still the best Thrash Metal album I've ever heard.

I've heard it. I don't like it. It happens.

EDIT: I should clarify. The guitar work is solid, as is the drumming. The vocalist sounds like Spicoli and I've heard better sounding bass come from 4 tracks. Even at that, I can look by shitty production but, I can't look past a shitty vocalist.

I've heard it. I don't like it. It happens.

Nothing wrong with that, but it still falls under the radar for a lot of people.

I'm just simply suggesting to everyone to give it a shot no matter what. I did, and I found a hidden gem of an album.

EDIT: Ah, see I think that is kind of where the line is drawn. I've always loved the vocals, but I know a lot of people can't stand them. Different Strokes of course.

Watevaman

Does anyone here like 3 Inches of Blood? It's been years since I listened to them but I fired up Advance and Vanquish today and it's solid stuff.

Went to an Alcest show earlier this year, they performed some of their older and heavier stuff, like Percees De Lumiere, which was nice.

I've seen them this year as well. I really enjoyed it, I liked that they also played some heavier stuff. Who else played at the show? When I saw them Fauns and Hexvessel were supporting. Fauns was ok, dreamy pop/rock that lacked focus. Hexvessel was great, psychedelic folk band with Kvhost (ex Dodsheimgard, Code) as the vocalist. I love him as a vocalist and the music was was very impressive live.

PersonaX

When I saw them Fauns and Hexvessel were supporting. Fauns was ok, dreamy pop/rock that lacked focus. Hexvessel was great, psychedelic folk band with Kvhost (ex Dodsheimgard, Code) as the vocalist. I love him as a vocalist and the music was was very impressive live.

Yep, same here, the Shelter tour, i'm also very into dreampop/shoegaze so i knew what i was getting with the Fauns, i actually like them a lot, but that's another story...and yeah, Hexvessel is good stuff and just amazing live, i was so into it. I saw this thing two times, in Helsinki at first and then the day after in Tampere which is Hexvessel's hometown, so it was a good time, all three bands had their own thing going on and i think it made for a good night of music, also bumped into Hexvessel's lady bassist after the Tampere show, nice people.

rexor0717

Sub'd even though I probably won't post much. I've definitely liked quite a few of the bands posted in the previous thread.

I meant to do a proper feature on this band in the last thread, and still intend to do one here at some point, but for now I'll alert you all that the masterfully excellent band High Spirits dropped the first single from their upcoming sophomore album. Their first LP, Another Night, is one of my favorite albums ever. The name of the band is such a fitting description of the music... it's high energy, catchy, and beautifully simplistic in song structure without sacrificing any compositional elements.

Oh, and every single song on the new record is done ENTIRELY by Chris Black. Vocals, guitars, drums, and bass. You know, the same Chris Black who is also the creator of bands Superchrist and Dawnbringer, as well as involved in Pharaoh. He's one insanely talented dude, that's for sure.

Click the pic, Rick!

And if you even slightly enjoy the song (it's one that took a few listens to grow on me, but I've now heard it roughly 30 times), for the love of Odin check out the previous High Spirits album. It's one of the best records to throw on while drinking beer and chilling with friends, and has a level of accessibility that even my beloved Blind Guardian can't touch.

Ah, jeez. It looks like this post is turning into my write-up, doesn't it? Fine!

Click the pic, slick, for a link to the full album.

HammerOfThor in particular should check out the first song, as it's about living in Chicago.

I would quote wrap the album art, but NOPE. I want these staring you down, so you have no excuse not to listen! Take THAT, favorite GAF community!

Blackheim

New Vallenfyre May 12 in Europe and on May 13 in the US...

Sample

In case people need reminding :p

Vallenfyre is:

Greg Mackintosh (Paradise Lost) - Vocals, Guitar
Hamish Glencross (My Dying Bride) - Guitar
Scoot (Doom, Extinction Of Mankind) - Bass
Adrian Erlandsson (At The Gates, Paradise Lost, The Haunted) - Drums

Top Bottom