• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 System Software Firmware 4.20

jakeellis01

PS3 System Software version 4.20 will be released on June 26 2012. This update will introduce a number of new features including:

- When the wireless stereo headset (CECHYA-0080) is connected, you can now adjust the sidetone level for microphone audio. Select [Sidetone] under (Settings) > (Accessory Settings) > [Audio Device Settings].
--o Off: Disable microphone audio from the headset
--o 1-5: Enable microphone audio from the headset

- You can now set the amount of time until the system automatically turns off. Under (Settings) > (Power Save Settings) > [System Auto-Off] you will be able amend the time for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features]:
Video/TV/Music/Photo - After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
Game/Other Features - After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
--o If you enabled [System Auto-Off] in system software prior to version 4.20, the selected time will be set for both [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [Game/Other Features].
--o The default settings are [After 4 Hours] for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [After 1 Hour] for [Game/Other Features].

Ds4Az.png

- Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.
--o You cannot use [Copy Multiple] to select data that is copy-protected.
--o Some saved data cannot be copied.
--o The upper right corner of the screen displays:
===== the number of saved data items that are selected
===== the total number of saved data items
===== the total file size of the saved data items that are selected

- Virtual surround sound functionality enabled for the wireless stereo headset (CECHYA-0080) for Blu-ray or DVD movies, giving you a superior audio experience.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/25/ps3-system-software-update-v4-20/

- Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™)), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.
o You cannot use [Copy Multiple] to select data that is copy-protected.
o Some saved data cannot be copied.
o The upper right corner of the screen displays:
- the number of saved data items that are selected
- the total number of saved data items
- the total file size of the saved data items that are selected

FINALLY!

I3rand0

- Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™)), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.
o You cannot use [Copy Multiple] to select data that is copy-protected.
o Some saved data cannot be copied.
o The upper right corner of the screen displays:
- the number of saved data items that are selected
- the total number of saved data items
- the total file size of the saved data items that are selected

#gamechanger

I wonder if this will fix my 14% installation error. Whenever I download a large game and go to install it the install will fail at 14%.

androvsky

For not having had any sort of firmware update since February, that's a whole lot of not very much.

(in before "there's an update every time I turn on my PS3!")

edgefusion

This is it for the XMB really isn't it? I have to admit I was kind of hoping for some kind of tidied up XMB or redesigned XMB announcement during E3. Sony have shown a general apathy toward the interface for so long now I think this is it for PS3 and we won't see anything new until whatever PS4 has.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

finally

6 years later,not bad for SCEJ.

androvsky

Does the web browser score more than a 3DS in the acid3 test yet?
It has since February, or is the 3DS higher than 92/100? PS3 is 99/100 last I checked.
This is it for the XMB really isn't it? I have to admit I was kind of hoping for some kind of tidied up XMB or redesigned XMB announcement during E3. Sony have shown a general apathy toward the interface for so long now I think this is it for PS3 and we won't see anything new until whatever PS4 has.
Yeah, pretty much. I'm sure you could get jeff_rigby to explain how there's going to be a major overhaul in the fall, but he was saying that last year too. And even if there is a huge update, it'll still probably have the XMB as the interface.

BosSin

Time to do some detective work and see if any changes have been put in place for more improvements on the web browser, where art thou jeff rigby!?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My kinda update.
KNQ0c.gif

At least it adds a few things other than increased software stability. It's been awhile since we've seen any new features or improvements.

Andrefpvs

I was getting anxious, all this time without a new firmware update!

The new features are welcome, but one must wonder if we'll ever see a significant firmware update for PS3 ever again.

Shahed

- Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.

Could have used this last week! Traded in my old PS3 for a new one. Would have saved so much time backing up my saves.

At least it'll help when copying my saves back to the PS3. Never really got around to it yet

Returners

- You can now set the amount of time until the system automatically turns off. Under (Settings) > (Power Save Settings) > [System Auto-Off] you will be able amend the time for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features]:
Video/TV/Music/Photo - After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
Game/Other Features - After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
--o If you enabled [System Auto-Off] in system software prior to version 4.20, the selected time will be set for both [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [Game/Other Features].
--o The default settings are [After 4 Hours] for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [After 1 Hour] for [Game/Other Features].

Heck yes!

When my files go to the cloud, it always says 'Some items could not be transferred due to lack of space,' even though I've only used aout 14mb of the 150mb provided. Anyone else get this?

krae_man

I miss two things:
1. Ability to reorder the items that I'm downloading
2. Search through my download list

3)The ability to put install files into folders
4)Make it so you don't need twice the free hard drive space of a games size to install it. If you want to download a 15gb game, you need 30gb of free space to install it. They fixed this issue on the PSP, yet apparently decided "yeah, we don't need to fix that on the PS3".

Is that Wireless Stereo Headset item supposed to fix the horrible "mic feedback" they stupidly put in earlier this year that completely ruined the headset sound? I'm interested in that headset but passed on it because they completely fucked it up. If it's fixed I can put it back on my wishlist ;)

PS+ automatically gets the patch doesn't it? I turned mine on the other day and it had downloaded loads of game patches. Does it do the same for system firmware?

Top Bottom