• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer Self-Service Refunds for Xbox One & Win10

GreyWind

dYawp2j.jpg

Announcement posted in the Insider dashboard for what seems Alpha ring testers. Likely to launch soon.

You’ve spoken; we’ve listened. In support of offering gamers the freedom of choice, we’re making changes to the Microsoft Store purchase experience by offering customers a simple way to instantly return digital products like games and apps through account.microsoft.com.

When a game or app leaves you wanting more, we're here to help. Self-service refunds on Xbox One and Windows 10 provide a quick, simple way of returning a digital product.

To request a self-service refund:
1. Navigate to account.microsoft.com and sign-in.
2. From the top menu bar, select Payment & billing > Order history.
3. Navigate to a purchased game or app, and select Request a refund.

Please note the below conditions for requesting a self-service refund:
• Games and apps are eligible for self-service refunds within 14 days of purchase if you have less than 2 hours of play time across all accounts.
• DLC, season passes, and add-ons are not eligible for self-service refunds.
• The game or app must be downloaded and launched before requesting a self-service refund.
• You must wait for at least 1 day after the game or app's release before requesting a self-service refund.
• Certain Windows 10 apps may not be eligible for self-service refunds.
• Microsoft reserves the right to block access for users who abuse self-service refunds.

Image credit: Xbox Reddit

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Damn, thats great. I wish i could get a refund for Gears 4.

One step closer to trading digital purchases.

jem0208

That's awesome. I wonder if there's a limit to how many you can have. If there isn't that's basically a free two hour trial for any game.

Chris1

Good shit, next up Playstation and Nintendo hopefully. No reason this shouldn't be standard across all digital stores.

Pleased about the 2 hour limit aswell, I may even buy some games I normally wouldn't have to try out.
Yes I know I'm abusing it :(

AHA-Lambda

God damn!!!

Looks like Valve's limitations on refunds though are quickly going to become the industry standard too.

This should also put some real pressure on others to follow suit now, especially with Sony when it comes to their dreadful customer service >_>

Megatron

Anyone who doesnt think competition is a good thing is delusional. This right here is why you shouldnt root for one console to destroy another.

dugdug

Banned
Well done to MS for this. Hope this forces Sony at the very least to take the step as well. Next step is to make some games I want to buy on their service. ;)

Top Bottom