• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks: Flipnote Studio

Shiggy

Volume 7 and 8 of Iwata Laughs:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/systems/volume_7_14206.html
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/systems/volume_8_14207.html

dsi_iwata_asks_vol8_02.jpg
dsi_iwata_asks_vol8_07.jpg
dsi_iwata_asks_vol8_23.jpg
dsi_iwata_asks_vol7_14.jpg
dsi_iwata_asks_vol7_20.jpg
DSi_IA_Vol4_image02.jpg

Hope they are not old.

faridmon

Shimizu-san has been working hard with me ever since the Tokyo software development office was set up. He's a player-character programmer...

Iwata:He was in charge of designing Mario's actions in Super Mario Galaxy.

by actions, do they mean Animation?

RyuKanSan

:lol :lol I would feel intimidated sitting across from the head of one of the most successful companies and my boss. But reading it, Iwata makes it seem like a more relaxed atmosphere with all that damn laughter.

BooJoh

RyuKanSan said:
:lol :lol I would feel intimidated sitting across from the head of one of the most successful companies and my boss. But reading it, Iwata makes it seem like a more relaxed atmosphere with all that damn laughter.
Google Chrome is giving me a malware warning on your avatar's domain (cs.bleedingsoul.org) when I visit this thread.

Shiggy

BooJoh said:
Google Chrome is giving me a malware warning on your avatar's domain (cs.bleedingsoul.org) when I visit this thread.

He doesn't have an avatar in my browser, did he delete it?

RyuKanSan

yeah imma change it. i wonder why i was gettin that malware thing as well. thanx for letting me kno it was my avatar lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Iwata Asks said:
Kotabe:
Then Ike-chan - Hiroshi Ikeda - approached me.

Iwata:
Ikeda-san has already retired from Nintendo, but he was once Miyamoto-san's boss.

Kotabe:
Ike-chan also joined Toei Animation when I did.

Iwata:
Huh?! Really?!

Kotabe:
That's why I call him Ike-chan. He's older than I am, but I argued with him a lot, too. Like when we made Flying Phantom Ship9. He was the director and I was the animation director.

Iwata:
I see.

Miyamoto-san, sorry to have kept you waiting.

Miyamoto:
No problem.

What the fuck is up with Miyamoto and just jumping out in unrelated conversations?

Iwata Asks said:
Kotabe:
In the animation world, we study books like that as hard as we can. Like how to make movement smooth. But that gradually came to be seen as unnecessary, because the number of frames got lowered.

Iwata:
I see. Anime for commercial television only uses a few frames per second.

Miyamoto:
And there are frames that don't move.

Kotabe:
That was something else that frustrated me. About that time, Ike-chan asked me if I would enter Nintendo and give advice about animation. I had hardly ever played video games, though. The only one I knew was Space Invaders. (laughs)

Iwata:
You played Space Invaders?

Kotabe:
No, I just watched others play. (laughs) So I had no idea why animation was necessary for video games.

Miyamoto:
That's understandable.

Kotabe:
But I said if he thought animation would be helpful, I didn't mind. I only intended to be at Nintendo one or two years, though. That became 21 years! (laughs)

Everyone:
(laughs)

So it seems that Miyamoto's boss was the original Random Employee Kidnapper.

Koizumi said:
Early in April of 2008. At the time, we thought we'd call it Flipbook Workshop. You could make flick book animation and enjoy watching it. But one day one of the programmers rejected it by saying he had nothing to do with flick book animation.

Koizumi said:
We talked about making it into WiiWare3, so if you connected to the network you could exchange notes with lots of people, not just with your friends. At the time, we didn't know anything about the Nintendo DSi.

Iwata said:
Only a few people within the company knew about it at that time.

that's how Nintendo does it eh.. they don't even tell their own employees!

wrowa

RyuKanSan said:
That's how it works at Nintendo: Laugh or get fired! :p

C.T.

Volume 8 is awesome. Yoichi Kotabe. Everyone should read it.

edit: he knew Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and worked with him, worked on Nausicaä and Heidi o_O

Miau

Neo Member
Iwata said:
No, not at all. Every time you gave some sort of instruction, it was like a ray of understanding hit everyone. How are you able to work such magic?

"Tell me, why are you so awesome?":lol

Top Bottom