• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, how come Sony didn't invest in any big 3rd party exclusives?

Remember though guys, TitanFall is an EA partners game. Respawn owns the Ip. There is a big chance MS could come in and buy the studio and Ip if the game does well.

They could, but the whole reason for the big split was due to poor relations and Activision wanting them to keep making CoD. I doubt they'd sell out to MS just to do the same, especially when MS is notorious for doing the same thing (remember Bungie?). Titanfall will come to Ps4, I very much doubt it won't. Not when their's so many millions potentially on the table.

It's not really accurate seeing as Sony probably spends more in gaming than MS. Certainly was the case last gen.

I meant being flashy in spending their things... like bringing KINECT to Oprah or having ad banners everywhere for their latest console... Sony on the other hand is more cautious in using their money
sadly some times to the expense of their own product marketing

I meant being flashy in spending their things... like bringing KINECT to Oprah or having ad banners everywhere for their latest console... Sony on the other hand is more cautious in using their money
sadly some times to the expense of their own product marketing

Which is weird. Seems MS has to spend a lot more money than Sony just to be able to keep up (and even then, they still failed to outsell them). I wonder why that is.

The brand will carry it by itself, just like the PS3-oh, wait...

Kind of did though. Especially in Europe where the PS3 rapidly overtook the 360's year long lead in most countries and then started eating away at the Wii. The HD consoles ended up neck and neck, maybe even PS3 in front and it had pretty much nothing to do with 3rd party exclusives but everything to do with 1st party exclusives.

Which is weird. Seems MS has to spend a lot more money than Sony just to be able to keep up (and even then, they still failed to outsell them). I wonder why that is.

they need to make their employees twitter accounts more loveable :p

no seriously I tweet of @yosp saying Yes or No is as equivalent to MS giving a news update to several gaming websites... I don't know why but MS employees aren't as loveable it seems :/
you can't deny that the word Playstation is quite prominent in some countries... the brand has created a stable name for itself in exclusives, Abroad games such as JRPGs, and even new sub entities such as PS Plus

Furyous

Xbox One is getting DR3, RYSE, Titanfall and that Insomniac game exclusively. Sony has a lot of good games too, but nothing exclusive from 3rd parties. Seems like Sony invested a lot of money into smaller indie games but most people don't care about those.

Why couldn't they just get 1 or 2 exclusive 3rd parties? They are good with Ubisoft maybe they should have paid them more to get Watch Dogs to release early on the PS4.

Those small indie games add value to their platform as unique titles.
Those 3rd party exclusives Microsoft has them in third place globally according to ********

Sony doesn't need third party exclusives because they'll be toned down graphically. You mentioned the NFL deal so I ask you a question. What company can spend $400 million on one deal? If one fourth of their subscribers take the deal then the company made money. However, that assumes these customers have an NFL.com account, cable, and a Redzone subscription. Microsoft didn't secure an exclusive Premier League deal.

No third party goes exclusive because of the potential 3 million lost sales. What would that cost? It's far more important to invest in their first party offerings that use the full power of the console.

Biker19

Banned
Presumably because Sony are in it for the long haul and one would have to suspect that Microsoft aren't. Sony are looking to provide numerous great exclusive experiences for the next 10 years. Microsoft will do it for a few.

It happened with the Xbox, with the 360, and nothing hints towards a change in policy.

Ultimately, their policy over the 360 era leaves them with a seriously unproven first party and a lot of tarnished franchises. Forza is one of their only really strong franchises. Fable and Halo have been seriously damaged by recent outings in my mind. No studio in Microsoft's stable commands the interest that Sony Santa Monica, or Naughty Dog do. Not even close.

And that's going to wind up backfiring on Microsoft in the long run. This is one of the very reasons why PS3 overtook the 360 on hardware sales in Europe, because Sony had the exclusives & more games on their platform while Microsoft was busy with just Halo, Gears, Forza, & Kinect since 2010.

Why should Sony waste a lot of money on 3rd party timed exclusives when those games will most likely come to their platforms, anyway? It wouldn't benefit them in any way at all.

Raonak

Banned
Because it's a much better idea investing the money into your first party studios. who will never / can never jump ship or go multi.

Tabular

Banned
Microsoft is in a different situation than Sony. They have more money and less 1st party studios. Like a game of monopoly this leads to different strategies. Sony also has more power in their gpu and seems to have targeted some 3rd party multiplats with deals that may give them lead platform development and therefore better versions of games. This, combined with great first party studios will be a strong enough strategy for the first year. The deals with big third parties might happen later though, once Sony has a good install base.

Biker19

Banned
They have profited over a $1,000,000,000 for the last three years off of the Xbox. NPV back to 2001 has been negative but those are all sunk costs. The future is what's important and they have turned the Xbox line into a profit center.

But how long do you think that their shareholders are going to keep putting up with Microsoft moneyhatting timed exclusives for the Xbox brand before they force Microsoft to either stop spending all of their Windows money for that, or to shut down the Xbox division or something? They're already getting pretty fed up with the Xbox division not making them a huge sum of money, & this is one of the reasons why.

Their warchest isn't exactly infinite, nor does the Xbox/Entertainment division have unlimited access to the money that Microsoft made from Windows.

343 Industries
Black Tusk Studios
Team Dakota
PressPlay
Twisted Pixel Games
Lift London

MS Osaka
MS Victoria

They are investing in new first party studios.

Yeah, only to cover the short term in the beginning. They did the same thing with the original Xbox & the Xbox 360.

Kelthink

they were too late. the damage was done already over the years. catching up now doesnt matter since a new gen is about to start.

You do realise Sony has always supported the existing console during the launch window of a new one, yeah? Please define your points a bit

nib95

Banned
when a new gen starts the old one becomes irrelevant. i could see ps3 catch wii one day,does that mean wii didnt win in sales?

Lol. No it doest. Not for the console manufacturers, nor the publishers, developers or gamers. For example, the game I'll probably be playing most this year is GT6, and I'll be getting that after I get my PS4, to play on my PS3. If an older gen console can continue to sell well even after the release of its successor, that's an even bigger success.

See PS2.

Lol. No it doest. Not for the console manufacturers, nor the publishers, developers or gamers. For example, the game I'll probably be playing most this year is GT6, and I'll be getting that after I get my PS4, to play on my PS3. If an older gen console can continue to sell well even after the release of its successor, that's an even bigger success.

See PS2.
its not going to be at the forefront though. the new system(ps4) will be. so wii didnt win the gen? answer this.

nib95

Banned
its not going to be at the forefront though. the new system(ps4) will be. so wii didnt win the gen? answer this.

Wii won the gen, but there is still a good chance PS3 sales overtake the Wii for the lead later down the line.

And when you say fore front, fore front of what? Current gen games like GT6 and GTA V will probably sell better than any next gen title. Whilst these consoles are new, fresh, and all the rage, the install base will still be small to begin with, and stocks limited.

Wii won the gen, but there is still a good chance PS3 sales overtake the Wii for the lead later down the line.

And when you say fore front, fore front of what? Current gen games like GT6 and GTA V will probably sell better than any next gen title. Whilst these consoles are new, fresh, and all the rage, the install base will still be small to begin with, and stocks limited.
i can see ps3 eventually catch wii. if it does you think wii lost?

dungtongue

Neo Member
They can't afford it and to an extent they don't need to. Sony gets a lot of exclusives by default from Japan in the long run. The amount they'll lose to a launch window line up is negligible, especially with all the good press. Their limited resources are better spent on first party studios.

nib95

Banned

I guess? I certainly wouldn't say the race is over the moment the new consoles come out. Like, even now Wii sales are still important to Nintendo, especially with the abysmal sales from the Wii U.

Similarly Sony will still want the PS3 to sell well over the next few years even with the PS4 there taking the lime light. I'd imagine there'd be a lot more profit in the PS3 for Sony than the PS4 at this point, just as was the case with the PS2 long after the PS3 was released. Early adopters and hardcore gamers pay the premiums early on, and pave the way for the softcore and casual mass market later down the line, which usually don't appear till after further price drops.

Gskyace

I guess you just can not stop them going multi.

64e7655fjw1e8ckvq9dedj20co077gna.jpg

Source:http://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-3567464-1-1.html

Replicant

this story start to be old....stop it...pls...developers choose where to go and from who accept the money...why you think sony buy entire studios and ips?...is just from prevent a game or some "ideas" from some good developer to go more platforms

i would add that i prefeer how ms do with their devs...freeing them to choose when and how end the collaboration (obv theres a contract to respect behind this "choice")...without owining their ip ..(i.e gears etc etc)...meanwhile sony buy studios and ip's...(that are clearly invented by peoples in studios that maybe one they will leave that studios)...and force an ip lifeliving to be on one console..

The last time I check it was MS who did a takeover of RARE from Nintendo. And as far as buying IP, have you forgotten how Bungie had to hand over their Halo IP to MS to regain their freedom? Yeah, how kind of MS and how not hypocritical of you.

The last time I check it was MS who did a takeover of RARE from Nintendo. And as far as buying IP, have you forgotten how Bungie had to hand over their Halo IP to MS to regain their freedom? Yeah, how kind of MS and how not hypocritical of you.
Why would they let their biggest IP go? They 100% owned Bungie until Bungie wanted to go independent to make Destiny.

EGM1966

Funny thing is you were right up until the "oh wait". Their brand power did help them come back to sell the same as 360 in less time last gen (worldwide - they did lose a chunk of US due to price and weak online early one that they never fully recovered from)

according to Syphon Filter the PS2 sold 106 m while the PS1 did 72 m.

the billions of dollars generated by the older systems after the start of the new gen are irrelevant because Sony and its partners are filthy rich.

the great games that debuted on the older systems are irrelevant since only early adopters deserve satisfaction.

the fact that the PS3 is thriving at expense of the Wii and its successor is irrelevant because Nintendo's console sold extremely well five years ago.

2008 is relevant while 2013 is irrelevant.

Wii sales collapsed years before the Wii U launch. Nowadays, the Wii U is trailing behind the GameCube.

And the PS3 is partially responsible (360 is doing a good job in NA)

PS3 ~ 2 (Wii + Wii U) YTD 2013

Nintendo is losing the seventh, the eighth generation, and if they don't wake up, they will lose their home console business.

jaosobno

Xbox One is getting DR3, RYSE, Titanfall and that Insomniac game exclusively. Sony has a lot of good games too, but nothing exclusive from 3rd parties. Seems like Sony invested a lot of money into smaller indie games but most people don't care about those.

Why couldn't they just get 1 or 2 exclusive 3rd parties? They are good with Ubisoft maybe they should have paid them more to get Watch Dogs to release early on the PS4.

Why would Sony pay for 3rd party exclusives when the have quite a few, elite, 1st party studios that can dish out (IMO) better exclusive games than any 3rd party studio?

Microsoft is in a completely different situation than Sony. They know that they can't compete with Sony's 1st party offering, therefore they must rely on 3rd parties.

Top Bottom