• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

why not do alts to whatever exercises you planned to do?
It was work up to 80% of my 1RM and do max rep up to 10 and then back off sets 5x3 with 60 second rest in between. So I Was trying to conserve energy. After that it was just 3x8 of deadlifts. So I didn't want to do things in reverse lol

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
A pack of these with a glass of whole milk...forever frogtech

5bc48203-5203-4ff2-bfc0-0692b6f58081_1.53ac61f919136346db245ba814643308.jpeg

ILoveBish

Squats were great today. Feeling very good right now. But I finally ordered a Brook ps4 adapter and sf5, I hope I can just not get too addicted.

Right now I'm near a happy place lifting wise where I've got compounds down solid and a decent accessories routine. Slowly I'm getting into a good rhythm.

SeanR1221

RP diet template going well. I'm not used to meal prepping days in advance so that was the only big change.

Wife is having a harder time following her template. I think she was snacking (on fruit/quest bars) more than she realized.

ACE 1991

My pre like wore off. It's been almost an hour and I haven't done shit lmao. Fucking commercial gyms

My gym is literally unusable after 4pm. There is only one squat rack and always a long line of people waiting to use it. It's good motivation to get me up in the morning to lift before work, because there is basically no other option if I don't want to simply dick around on machines for an hour. Still, Retro Fitness is a pretty good commercial gym for the paltry sum of $19.99/mo. But god damn just buy a few more squat racks pls, I'd pay extra per month just for more racks or cages

My gym is literally unusable after 4pm. There is only one squat rack and always a long line of people waiting to use it. It's good motivation to get me up in the morning to lift before work, because there is basically no other option if I don't want to simply dick around on machines for an hour. Still, Retro Fitness is a pretty good commercial gym for the paltry sum of $19.99/mo. But god damn just buy a few more squat racks pls, I'd pay extra per month just for more racks or cages

i don't think there's any other gym left to get into that has all the stuff i need. and the one i do like is too far and traffic after 4 is a bitch to get through. i might search some more once la fitness contract is up in april. might sign up for a cheap third gym lmao

but yesterday was too much. the parking lot was literally filled with cars more than usual even for the monday crowd. it's just pre VD shit that ruined it. hopefully today everyone is out so i can use the bench.

ACE 1991

i don't think there's any other gym left to get into that has all the stuff i need. and the one i do like is too far and traffic after 4 is a bitch to get through. i might search some more once la fitness contract is up in april. might sign up for a cheap third gym lmao

but yesterday was too much. the parking lot was literally filled with cars more than usual even for the monday crowd. it's just pre VD shit that ruined it. hopefully today everyone is out so i can use the bench.

Are mornings not an option for you? I really love it since I switched, gym is basically a ghost town.

KillerBEA

I like going in the morning because it fits my schedule but sometimes it's hard to get the equipment I want in the order I want it in. So I make compromises as long as my main strength work for the day gets done first. PLus I got some junk volume I can do if I have to wait for equipment.

OHP feeling strong as fuck right. Gained some explosiveness in the bottom of the lift that wasn't there last week.. :D

Does anyone wait until night to eat or is that a bad idea?

I'm not normally hungry during the day and after a big work out I ALWAYS wake up at like 3:30AM hungry/sore as fuck.

Ixian

Made the mistake of trying to rip the bandaid off and going from bulking calories to cutting calories without a steady drop starting last week; I thought I was doing fine, but Sunday was OHP/Chins/Deadlifts and yesterday I felt exhausted and achy throughout the day and starving by the time I got home. Ended up stuffing my face, which did wonders for my pain but not so much for my diet. >_> Going to AYCE JBBQ with my girlfriend tonight and then I'm going to try to get back on the horse again. Dammit bulking season, you ended too soon.

Made the mistake of trying to rip the bandaid off and going from bulking calories to cutting calories without a steady drop starting last week; I thought I was doing fine, but Sunday was OHP/Chins/Deadlifts and yesterday I felt exhausted and achy throughout the day and starving by the time I got home. Ended up stuffing my face, which did wonders for my pain but not so much for my diet. >_> Going to AYCE JBBQ with my girlfriend tonight and then I'm going to try to get back on the horse again. Dammit bulking season, you ended too soon.

This is where I'm at. My lord, weighted chinups are eating shit right now after switching to a cut. Surprisingly my OHP might be going up though.

My gym opens at 5am. If I'm not at the racks by 5:15-5:20, they are usually taken. It's crazy.

Fight the people going for the racks. When you're done you won't even have to use them cause you got your training in already lol

Does anyone wait until night to eat or is that a bad idea?

Sounds like intermittent fasting to me. You shouldn't ever wake up hungry though (I eat basically right until I sleep, and sometimes I feel full as fuck.

Maybe consider refeeds? Scientifically speaking you get better fat loss that way anyway.

ILoveBish

Thank God I don't have to deal with rack issues at the gym anymore. Reading what you guys are going through brought me flashbacks of the crap I used to deal with.

Do what it takes, get a home gym going. It's worth every penny. Your time IS money.

Ixian

Maybe consider refeeds? Scientifically speaking you get better fat loss that way anyway.
I usually do, by virtue of attending events where it's nigh impossible to control my calories as I do in my typical day-to-day life. I think I just cut out too many calories too fast, especially considering how much more I lift compared to when I started bulking late last year. I was hitting the upper limit of weight I was comfortable with putting on during my bulking time and wanted to reverse course immediately, when I should have been a bit more careful about it.

Man idk if it's because I didn't get much sleep last night or what, but after my workout this morning I got so lightheaded I had to lie down for 45 mins. I'm at work now and I still feel a little off. I'm not about to die am I?

Man idk if it's because I didn't get much sleep last night or what, but after my workout this morning I got so lightheaded I had to lie down for 45 mins. I'm at work now and I still feel a little off. I'm not about to die am I?

was your workout particularly hard? did you drink enough water?

During heavy deadlift sets, I get dizzy right after about 50% of the time. Just a product of lifting heavy shit - it takes the life out of you lol

was your workout particularly hard? did you drink enough water?

During heavy deadlift sets, I get dizzy right after about 50% of the time. Just a product of lifting heavy shit - it takes the life out of you lol

Maybe a little dehydrated too?

Yeah I went pretty hard (for me). Bulgarian split squats are fucking brutal.

I thought I drank enough water but maybe I didn't.

At this point I think my main issue is sleep deprivation. Anytime I get 5 hours of sleep or less I feel like I'm gonna die the next day. My body probably didn't appreciate me trying to go hard on the morning exercise on so little sleep.

mf.luder

After a weekend of skiing I thought for sure I was fucked but I nailed 2x 385 on deadlift last night. Another week or two at 385 and then I'll push on.

Natural

Been on the 5/3/1 program for a little while now so as it's my deload week I thought i'd try hit some new PB's this week.

Monday I hit 95kg for OHP for a new one.
Deadlift I failed at 240kg, thought I loaded the bar at 240kg but was actually 220kg, so wasted some energy there - will try again Friday.
Bench today, wanted 150kg which I did for 3, so stopped and tried for 160kg after and got that for 1.
Squats tomorrow, aiming for 170kg but think I can maybe do 180kg for 1 at least.

Fucking hell it's hard to work anything with a busted rib. I thought I'd be fine doing the full on bro stuff but there was still a good amount in there that felt like it was moving my rib around. :(

Related... I'm no-where near as strong at that sort of high rep low rest stuff as I used to be.

ACE 1991

Been on the 5/3/1 program for a little while now so as it's my deload week I thought i'd try hit some new PB's this week.

Deadlift I failed at 240kg, thought I loaded the bar at 240kg but was actually 220kg, so wasted some energy there - will try again Friday.
Bench today, wanted 150kg which I did for 3, so stopped and tried for 160kg after and got that for 1.
Squats tomorrow, aiming for 170kg but think I can maybe do 180kg for 1 at least.

Mirin' those numbers, my dude. You must be a pretty big feller.

Currently on my surgery rotation which has been destroying all my free time. I'd be lucky to get in 2 days/week at the gym let alone 4 like I normally put in. Diet is still on point though and the fractional plates I purchased have been excellent for my bench and OHP. I can definitely see PRs being achieved on them sooner rather than later. Only 2 more weeks of this, then I hopefully will be able to get back on a more consistent gym schedule.

Need to get beach ready by late April (not that I'm already in good shape for it now, but I need to be able to turn some heads by then) :p

velociraptor

Incredible lifts.

I barely lift half of those numbers. I've been trying a linear progression routine but I just don't seem to be getting stronger.

How much stronger is one expected to get on LP before gains stall out? Is it a question of eating more calories, or changing to something like 5/3/1?

sphinx

the piano man
this is very frustrating...

I come visit my parents in Mexico, the last time people here saw me was 7 months ago.

I arrive and I eat, sleep, and train well the last 10 days, my shirts feel tighter, when on a pump during workout I for once like what I see in the mirror, I do cardio more often, everything is nice, life is great.

yesterday three times in a row from different people, in less than 24 hours, I get comments like "well, you've got fat/chunky these months" or a variation of that and not in a positive way like "you've got noticeable gains" or anything. it's like a condescending "oh I am so sorry for your current state, I hope you get your shit together, keep at it, if you believe in your dreams maybe some day you'll achieve your goals"..

at first I roll my eyes, then I get confused and start second-guess everything.

Big generally = fat to most people. Start doing random pullups and shit with your top off.

(I may have recently done something similar with someone I know.)

FuuRe

You know what, fuck it

awLpMmv.jpg

I shared this on r/loseit and forgot to share it in here

2015: 215lb
2016: 233lb
2017: 170lb

I'm 5'9'' btw

Few things I learned during this transition:

- There's no way to outweigh a shitty diet (Told in here several times but I learned it the hard way)
- You can lose steadily without hitting the gym, for the most part of my weight loss I didn't go to the gym nor did any kind of exercise, and I'm not currently doing any exercise (save for some sporadic bodyweightfitness) either but I'm planning to go back to the gym in a couple months
- Track your calories with MFP (This was game changing for me) and be honest to yourself, there's no need to lie by adding less amounts of food to a tracking app
- Do keto if you can, at least for me it did wonders so I highly recommend it to everyone

And don't give up! I experienced a 2+ month plateau and that really made me want to send everything to hell, shit WILL be hard, but it's the only way.

Natural

Incredible lifts.

I barely lift half of those numbers. I've been trying a linear progression routine but I just don't seem to be getting stronger.

How much stronger is one expected to get on LP before gains stall out? Is it a question of eating more calories, or changing to something like 5/3/1?

How long have you been on your LP routine?

Having a good diet is key first and foremost but for me personally when I stalled in the past for a week or two - i'd see that as a sign to shake up my routine - whether it's alternating between certain lifts weekly (e.g dumbbell incline press + barbell incline press) or changing the routine to something else.

I tend to change/tweak my routine every 6 months or so unless I feel as though i'm still progressing. Also worth noting that the higher you go up in weights the slower the progression will be for some lifts.

Excellent job FuuRe. Stick with it.

And don't give up! I experienced a 2+ month plateau and that really made me want to send everything to hell, shit WILL be hard, but it's the only way.

Did you not adjust your intake to compensate? Everyone gets plateaus, but 2 months tells me that you just tried to stick to what had been working for you, rather than adjusting.

ACE 1991

How long have you been on your LP routine?

Having a good diet is key first and foremost but for me personally when I stalled in the past for a week or two - i'd see that as a sign to shake up my routine - whether it's alternating between certain lifts weekly (e.g dumbbell incline press + barbell incline press) or changing the routine to something else.

I tend to change/tweak my routine every 6 months or so unless I feel as though i'm still progressing. Also worth noting that the higher you go up in weights the slower the progression will be for some lifts.

Since your bench is pretty ludicrous, any general barbell bench tips? I'm sitting at about 190 x 5 and my #1 goal this year is to hit 225lb for 2+ reps by the end of the year. I'm 5'8'' 173lb.

Top Bottom