• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

vivekTO

Congrats to Guerrilla for Horizon Sales, hopefully other studios and publishers take some notes and do something similar i.e. investing in new IPs.

Congrats to Guerrilla for Horizon Sales, hopefully other studios and publishers take some notes and do something similar i.e. investing in new IPs.

And invest in more diverse and interesting protagonists/settings while they're at it.

Yep. I would have never been as interested in Horizon had it not been so distinct; i.e. a female protagonist and robot fucking dinosaurs. Hopefully it will dispel the myth that female protagonists don't sell and that studios cannot improve (the number of people writing the game off before release because they didn't like Killzone was absurd). I don't imagine other publishers will take the right messages from this though.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
We got a gameplay demo and a developer video diary at Paris Games Week later that year. Most recent update AFAIK was earlier this year with a photo/screenshot from Ancel. What's the problem? Why would it be cancelled?

Yup, especially when almost everyone is going for open-world games now.

Its Sucker Punch's turn now :)

Yup, especially when almost everyone is going for open-world games now.

Its Sucker Punch's turn now :)

For some reason I kinda want that Western themed concept art to be Sucker Punch's new IP. That seems a little too grounded for them though. I can't see it not being open world whatever is though.

Its a new IP Too?? Confirmed??

That has been the word for the longest time now. No reason to doubt it. Nothing official though.

It's about time for Nate Fox to get out of hibernation. =/

original.gif

I doubt Sony will have any involvement with this new project. Will be interesting to see which publisher gives them a second chance on big stage.

I kinda want Sony to give them a shot at redemption and let them do a sequel to The Order 1886. I mean the engine was solid and graphics were awesome, so all they have to do is work on the gameplay this time, surely they could make a much better game this time around, it definitely has potential to be good.

I kinda want Sony to give them a shot at redemption and let them do a sequel to The Order 1886. I mean the engine was solid and graphics were awesome, so all they have to do is work on the gameplay this time, surely they could make a much better game this time around, it definitely has potential to be good.

I think the IP still has potential as well, but the departed Shinobi was very adamant that it's dead.

Endo Punk

If they need a shot at Redemption it should be with new IP and definitely not 1886 sequel. The IP is far too toxic now. I'm glad RAD are making an original AAA action game, hope they make all the right moves this time.

RAD talked up ambition of owning their own IPs, and while they own Lone Echo and Deformers by virtue of two publishers who don't mind funding developer-owned IPs at this stage...

AAA games are still in the nebulous stage where it's extremely difficult to get funding for games whose IP ownership doesn't go to the publisher.

So I'm definitely curious to see who's the publisher for RAD's AAA action game. Even if the IP ultimately belongs to the publisher, the amount of investment and attachment that RAD had for The Order...

Part of me thinks it's far likelier than not their new AAA IP is to Demons Souls what Dark Souls was.

I think the IP still has potential as well, but the departed Shinobi was very adamant that it's dead.

Yeah, it's a shame if true.

If they need a shot at Redemption it should be with new IP and definitely not 1886 sequel. The IP is far too toxic now. I'm glad RAD are making an original AAA action game, hope they make all the right moves this time.

If they could revive it, they would have to make it clear in the previews and early trailers that this is a totally different and improved experience, it wouldn't be easy but it could be possible, although it does seem unlikely it will happen.

I'm sure they have learnt from what happened with The Order and shouldn't make that mistake again.

Why even bother with an 1886 sequel

It'd be like Hello Games making "No Man's Sky 2"

No Man's Sky is Sean Murray's passion, and frankly I find it hard to imagine he'll separate himself from the concept of NMS even if he has to end up using a different name to reduce the toxicity of the brand association.

Its a new IP Too?? Confirmed??

Officially it's not confirmed, but that's what Shinobi said.

What are the bets we will hear more about Ready at Dawn's next AAA title (pre-production phase started presumably late 2015).

http://www.readyatdawn.com/careers-main/

Well, they're doing Deformers and a VR game, right? I'd guess they won't be ready to talk about something like a new AAA development for some time yet.

I'd love a sequel, but it's really not happening. The first game was a big flub, and Sony haven't mentioned it at all since then. Plus, at Nightengale points out, there's a certain degree of 'toxicity' associated with it now, and that's hard to shake with big AAA games.

RAD talked up ambition of owning their own IPs, and while they own Lone Echo and Deformers by virtue of two publishers who don't mind funding developer-owned IPs at this stage...

AAA games are still in the nebulous stage where it's extremely difficult to get funding for games whose IP ownership doesn't go to the publisher.

So I'm definitely curious to see who's the publisher for RAD's AAA action game. Even if the IP ultimately belongs to the publisher, the amount of investment and attachment that RAD had for The Order...

Part of me thinks it's far likelier than not their new AAA IP is to Demons Souls what Dark Souls was.

Can they use that engine or is it Sony's property? Can't see another publisher signing up for The Order 1886 under a different name either.

I would love a sequel to 1886. The game did so much right, Graphics, voice acting, OST and world building I thought were all outstanding. If they could improve length and scope of the gameplay they could have something very special.

Always thought 'The Order 1913' based around an alternative WW1 setting could be amazing.

Joystick

What's wrong with that? Why does the first entry in a franchise have to be everything. Be the best? Isn't UC4 better than UC1 for example?

I would LOVE a sequel to The Order: 1886. I really enjoyed the first and I understand that it was not everyone's cup of tea, but take on board some of the criticisms, more polish, a sequel could be great.

I would love a sequel to 1886. The game did so much right, Graphics, voice acting, OST and world building I thought were all outstanding. If they could improve length and scope of the gameplay they could have something very special.

Always thought 'The Order 1913' based around an alternative WW1 setting could be amazing.

They should have just copied Gears gameplay like I expected them to do. Thst would habe sufficed. Should have been co-op like it appeared to be in the reveal trailer.

Can they use that engine or is it Sony's property? Can't see another publisher signing up for The Order 1886 under a different name either.

Engine belongs to them.

IP, game assets, etc belongs to Sony, but just as Sony doesn't own Unreal Engine, they don't own RAD's engine.

They should have just copied Gears gameplay like I expected them to do. Thst would habe sufficed. Should have been co-op like it appeared to be in the reveal trailer.

The biggest shortfall of Order was the team's struggle or inability to craft engaging, multi-faceted enemies. Encounter design they were still able to make something out of it, but in general the werewolves and other enemies just don't have the level of dynamic combat bowl that other acclaimed TPS games execute.

The God

No Man's Sky is Sean Murray's passion, and frankly I find it hard to imagine he'll separate himself from the concept of NMS even if he has to end up using a different name to reduce the toxicity of the brand association.

Sure, making a new IP that's similar is one thing but to make a direct sequel with the same name just doesn't make sense given the reputation of the originals

vivekTO

Well, they're doing Deformers and a VR game, right? I'd guess they won't be ready to talk about something like a new AAA development for some time yet.

That is what I was saying earlier , apart from Deformers , VR and MultiAAA IP the have other big Announcements as well which they will share with us, i wonder what they will be like??

The IP is Sony's, the engine is RAD's. It's what they're using on their next two games.

If they did a sequel they should set it within a few years (i.e. The Order: 1890 and take Galahad to India. For fixes I would suggest:

• Bigger levels with more distinct geography and more verticality. They should take a lot of inspiration from Naughty Dog in how they designed levels in Uncharted 2, 4 and TLoU.
  • More interesting combat: varied weapons and gadgets, maybe enemies that can only die to certain weapons or attacks (i.e. you can knock down vampires with ordinary weaponry but only kill them with fire).
  • More horror stuff. If you're going to have vampires and werewolves in your game, make them goddamn interesting! I don't think you fight any vampires in the game, and the werewolf fights were incredibly dull.
  • More varied enemies. Despite the interesting setting, you spend 95% of TO1886 fighting human rebels. Such a dull use of the premise.
  • Make Galahad full-on Victorian Steampunk Batman. Heck, maybe have him running around India hunting the monsters, and have Igraine and Lafayette hunting him, ordered to bring him home.
  • Maybe have some proper exciting set-pieces that happen in-game (as opposed to in-cutscene). Again, I would look towards the stuff ND did in Uncharted 4, or if they want to go lower-key, TLoU.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
What's wrong with that? Why does the first entry in a franchise have to be everything. Be the best? Isn't UC4 better than UC1 for example?

I would LOVE a sequel to The Order: 1886. I really enjoyed the first and I understand that it was not everyone's cup of tea, but take on board some of the criticisms, more polish, a sequel could be great.

Ppl who have bought it at 1/4th price(including myself) aren't that disappointed with it than those who had paid full price.These days, when many are hesitant to even buy UC's dlc at full price, not sure if creating a sequel would be a good idea, irrespective of how good the game turns out to be.

The God

The first entry doesn't have to be everything, and let's not act Uncharted 1 had the same reputation as The Order when it released

The name is tainted. Maybe they could make a spiritual successor in a new IP.

If an new game in the Order were to actually be funded, I'd think it would be a good idea for the series to actually... step away from being a TPS and go for an action game set in the Arthurian timeline instead.

A gritty alt-history swords & low-fantasy Arthurian timeline action game with werewolves, vampires & other mythological creatures.

... Man, now I feel sad that it'll likely never happen. The game had a ton of flaws, but the visual direction, world setting and atmosphere was really good.

Rymuth

If an new game in the Order were to actually be funded, I'd think it would be a good idea for the series to actually... step away from being a TPS and go for an action game set in the Arthurian timeline instead.

A gritty alt-history swords & low-fantasy Arthurian timeline action game with werewolves, vampires & other mythological creatures.

... Man, now I feel sad that it'll likely never happen. The game had a ton of flaws, but the visual direction, world setting and atmosphere was really good.
Tell me about it - cyberpunk and steampunk (which I consider to be the genre The Order falls into) are two woefully underserved settings.

Salz01

If there was an Order 2, I'd be there day 1. It just needed a tweak here and there to the formula. It wasn't that bad of a game, and the negative comments are totally overblown. It's way more interesting to play (imho) than Gears 4, which I still haven't brought myself to finish.

Spoiler one week in advance : Sony Corporation did very good during the last fiscal year. Praise the Kaz. Of course we will have to wait next thursday to know about the PlayStation division in particular and how many PS4 were shipped.

Now he must fix Sony Pictures which is a complete clusterfuck.

Yeah, Sony Pictures was I think their only division losing money in their last fiscal report, I think?

They probably need to move away from trying to compete on a blockbuster scale and do a bunch of films that cost under $50 million. Also, no video game movies as they're always terrible and hardly ever appeal to the intended video game audience.

Yeah, Sony Pictures was I think their only division losing money in their last fiscal report, I think?

They probably need to move away from trying to compete on a blockbuster scale and do a bunch of films that cost under $50 million. Also, no video game movies as they're always terrible and hardly ever appeal to the intended video game audience.

Disagree. Resident Evil has been a major earner for Sony almost two decades. They will definitely reboot that franchise. Not sure about taking on new properties like Uncharted and TLOU though as don't really bring anything new to or exciting to film. Could definitely see a Horizon movie in the future.

Turkoop

Banned

Yes, they made a lot of loss in the last quarter. It's a shame, they launched few interesting movies like Passengers.

Sony Pictures needs a complete shakeup from top-to-bottom.

Movie business is tough and cut-throat, but whatever comfort zone SP is in right now is downright saddening.

vivekTO

After seeing the results Kaz will be like
@lastminutehero
Code:
[IMG]http://imgur.com/pbVkFY5.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://imgur.com/dQoyfb4.gif[/IMG]

Top Bottom