• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

meppi

I'm tempted to get a 128GB one to replace my iPad3 64GB version.
But what I really want is a 256GB version instead.
We're never going to get this within a reasonable timeline are we? :(

I'm tempted to get a 128GB one to replace my iPad3 64GB version.
But what I really want is a 256GB version instead.
We're never going to get this within a reasonable timeline are we? :(

Did you fill up all 64GBs?

I don't really see a 256GB one coming any time soon but who knows, when it's cheap enough to include I guess it could be an option. The 128GB already seems like a pretty niche product.

I'm still waiting for them to drop the 16GB model and go with 32/64/128 (with the 32 going down to the 16's price, 64 to 32's price, etc.), I hope that ends up happening at some point.

meppi

Did you fill up all 64GBs?

I don't really see a 256GB one coming any time soon but who knows, when it's cheap enough to include I guess it could be an option. The 128GB already seems like a pretty niche product.

I'm still waiting for them to drop the 16GB model and go with 32/64/128 (with the 32 going down to the 16's price, 64 to 32's price, etc.), I hope that ends up happening at some point.

Yes I did. I run a non-profit video game magazine preservation project with the backing of the publishers involved, so having a ton of retro magazines on there that are around 200-300MB each fills it up very quickly.

A friend of mine asked me just a month ago if I wasn't thinking of selling my iPad to upgrade to the new model, but I told him that the only thing that would make me upgrade was a large jump in storage space.
Doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon though.

I've just sold my Nexus 7 for an iPad 4. So far I love it except for:

- Not being able to chose que quality in YouTube.
- Google Maps not available for iPad.
- Can't chose an app to open when clicking on a wiki link and such.

If those are corrected, I will be really happy.

1. Use a third part Youtube App I use Mctube Pro (free version).

2. Google has said this is coming.

3. Nothing can be done about that.

alekth

Is there a way to watch movies over my network without any encoding taking place?

Not quite sure exactly what you mean, but AVPlayerHD recently implemented streaming over ftp, and the app plays a lot of formats. Though I still have the odd issue with audio sync on some mp4s, and stick to XMBC on jailbroken iPad (which is pretty much the way to go on a jailbroken device).

Is there a way to watch movies over my network without any encoding taking place?

I believe that Plex will serve up the files Directly if it's of the right format.
I'm also pretty sure that GoodPlayer can download files and play them natively, though you'll get better performance on h.254 encoded videos.

Hi folks,

Thinking of buying my wife an iPad this weekend. We both have iPhones with our own apps purchased on each of our accounts.

Does the iPad have any kind of multiple account functionality? What is the best way to deal with going from 2 to 1 account on an iDevice?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

Thinking of buying my wife an iPad this weekend. We both have iPhones with our own apps purchased on each of our accounts.

Does the iPad have any kind of multiple account functionality? What is the best way to deal with going from 2 to 1 account on an iDevice?

Thanks!

No multiple accounts on device, but you can purchase from multiple store accounts if you want. (ie: it's fine to have games from multiple store accounts, but there's just no seperate "desktop" or anything like that)

The only problem with this route is that whenever you want to update an app you need to login using whomever bought the item in question. Likewise, if you need specific iCloud support you would have to change that information in settings prior to loading the app.

That doesn't sound too bad. Sounds like we should stick to one account from now on for iCloud purposes, or until they finally support multiple accounts.

Thanks!

That doesn't sound too bad. Sounds like we should stick to one account from now on for iCloud purposes, or until they finally support multiple accounts.

Thanks!

I don't imagine multiple accounts are coming anytime soon but who knows now that Ive is in charge. The nice thing is that you can keep iCloud seperate from App store login so it should work seperately in that aspect regardless of the fact that they are both Apple IDs

numble

I don't imagine multiple accounts are coming anytime soon but who knows now that Ive is in charge. The nice thing is that you can keep iCloud seperate from App store login so it should work seperately in that aspect regardless of the fact that they are both Apple IDs
Ive isn't in charge of deciding such things.

Rubenov

When will the new new iPad be revealed? I thought the previous one launched in April last year... (and they used to come 1 per year around the same time).

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just grabbed a 32 gb 4th gen iPad, any must have apps to download? I have tweebot, facebook, Songza, a few games, plus standard news / utilitie apps.

Quick

Banned
I just grabbed a 32 gb 4th gen iPad, any must have apps to download? I have tweebot, facebook, Songza, a few games, plus standard news / utilitie apps.

Tweetbot is awesome.

Check out Flipboard, too. There's also Pocket for saving news articles to read later. There's AVPlayerHD for video playback of almost any format (no need to convert) and Comic Zeal for reading comics.

Check out this thread.

Will likely sell my iPad mini and pick up the 5th gen iPad sometime this fall.

iPad has been my most used device for the past two years of like everything that I have.

Quick

Banned
Will likely sell my iPad mini and pick up the 5th gen iPad sometime this fall.

iPad has been my most used device for the past two years of like everything that I have.

I've been thinking of selling my 3rd gen iPad, but it still does its job well and I've had no issues with it.

Plus, I have the PS4 pre-ordered, so my money will probably be tied to that for November.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've had my 4th gen iPad for almost a week now, and I don't know how I lived without it. I'm not a big apple guy, but its amazing and perfectly consolidates every program I need and use daily, and makes it effortless to switch between them with no system slow downs or problems.

alterno69

Banned
Got an iPad mini from my wife today, i was plesently surprised. I've had a first gen iPad for almost three years now and it's by far my most used gadget ever, it was long overdue for an update tho and the mini is perfect for my. I can finally browse my photo apps without crashes and the size is just perfect for me.

Awesome little device.

>_< For some reason my iPad 3 just suffered a stress fracture (there's a crack down the entire length of the screen.) Warranty expired a month ago and the credit card doubler only accepts manufacturers defects. :(

Anybody tried a full screen glass replacement themselves before? Apple is insisting on the $300 replacement charge so it's either go it alone or pay some strip mall joint to do it for $150.

Quick

Banned
Bless you Quick, I never knew you were part of the Apple IT crew

ib16Qkbs0mNlsa.gif

It's that or DeviantArt. No one can go to DeviantArt without seeing some crazy shit.
I kid.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Got the go ahead to upgrade the Mini to an iPad 5. White 64GB (and retina) here I come. Will be a little strange going back to the 9.7.

Wouldn't want the Mini 2 if it was Retina?

How legit is that iPad 5 in September rumor?

iPad 5 is coming, the only question is whether the conference will be September or October. The iPad 4 was announced late October 2012 and came out a bit over a week later.

Yeah, iLounge said October (give or take a couple weeks) back in January. I have a feeling that the hardware itself is pretty much ready to go but we're waiting on iOS 7. Whenever the next iPhone debuts we'll get the next iPad a month later. So September or October is likely the window. Leaning towards October though personally.

Definitely ready for the 5, though.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I am using an iPad at work now and I need a case.

The case my boss bought me is stupid.

The perfect case would have as much of the following as possible...

• Place for a note pad (odd I know, but sometimes paper is handy)
  • Place for business cards
  • Place for pen/stylus
  • Pockets or sections for other stuff?

Also...is there such a thing a case that allows the iPad to stay IN the case but still be able to use the camera?

Yeah, iLounge said October (give or take a couple weeks) back in January. I have a feeling that the hardware itself is pretty much ready to go but we're waiting on iOS 7. Whenever the next iPhone debuts we'll get the next iPad a month later. So September or October is likely the window. Leaning towards October though personally.

Definitely ready for the 5, though.

Going for the LTE model this time

VPhys

• [*]Place for a note pad (odd I know, but sometimes paper is handy)
    [*]Place for business cards
    [*]Place for pen/stylus
    [*]Pockets or sections for other stuff?

The ipad is supposed to take the place of most of if not all those things.

• Place for a note pad (odd I know, but sometimes paper is handy)
  • Place for business cards
  • Place for pen/stylus
  • Pockets or sections for other stuff?

Also...is there such a thing a case that allows the iPad to stay IN the case but still be able to use the camera?

Might just want to get some sort of traditional folio (like from a university book store or something) and just throw the iPad in that.

Going for the LTE model this time

Still don't think I'll go with LTE this time since I have wifi pretty much everywhere I go, but I will go back up to 64GB (and get the white model this time).

Can anyone recommend me the best, yet an affordable way to connect a Third gen iPad to the TV?

I'd like it to actually mirror the iPad fully, but not just run photos and video etc. what are my cable /HDMI options? And cost too please. It's a third gen (iPad 3) jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1 with the old (classic) 15 pin connection.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone recommend me the best, yet an affordable way to connect a Third gen iPad to the TV?

I'd like it to actually mirror the iPad fully, but not just run photos and video etc. what are my cable /HDMI options? And cost too please. It's a third gen (iPad 3) jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1 with the old (classic) 15 pin connection.

Thanks in advance.

Use something like this and find a Jailbroken app that will mirror the display via video output.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKX-nc2oi7kCFaU5QgodQmYAZw

Sakujou

Banned
the new one looks pretty promising especially finally with stereospeakers, but wont buy a new one until my one doesnt get supported anymore.

Top Bottom