• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Coming to NA

Namco announced it for release today along with Project X Zone.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/21/one-piece-pirate-warriors-2-announced

Piracy and brawls go hand in hand. Developer Tecmo Koei discovered the successful combination with their brawler One Piece: Pirate Warriors. And now, it will be getting a PlayStation 3-exclusive sequel in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2, which will be published by Namco Bandai.

Based on the anime series of the same name, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 takes the Dynasty Warriors style of combat and throws it into the world of Monkey D. Luffy and his crew of swashbucklers.

“One Piece fans will explore wondrous and mysterious island environments in the bizarre realm beyond the Grand Line while they sail through uncharted territories, including previously unreleased stages such as Skypiea,” says publisher Namco-Bandai.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 is due out summer 2013.

Crunchyroll states that it will be PSN exclusive again.

Siliconera confirms no Vita version for NA

“Unfortunately the game will not be available for Vita in North American territories,” a Namco Bandai representative shared with us.

I'm pretty sad to see that the Vita version isn't coming out over here.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Didnt they already announce a western release `for this summer ? No Vita version ? Erm okay.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
They announced its release just for Europe, not NA. Also, where's the Vita image?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I wanted it for Vita... Hope it comes to Europe.
Might just be IGN's rewrite. Crunchyroll states:

That's not all, though--crowd fighter favorite One Piece: Pirate Warriors returns with One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2! The sequel will be a PlayStation Network exclusive, and will also be debuting this summer.

So I'm guessing OPPW sold good enough for Namco Bandai to do this. Would anybody happen to have sell numbers or anything?

I bought the first game on launch day and enjoyed it immensely, I won't mind picking this up come summer too.

2GGclpi.jpg

Mines

Mpl90

Now they did. They previously announced an EU release for this summer.

Crunchyroll said North America, so unless I got confused...

The Vita version isn't coming to EU or NA.

I was answering to cw_sasuke. Before today, as you said, we had just the announcement for Europe.

So I'm guessing OPPW sold good enough for Namco Bandai to do this. Would anybody happen to have sell numbers or anything?

I bought the first game on launch day and enjoyed it immensely, I won't mind picking this up come summer too.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors is the fifth best-selling game in 2012 in Japan, with over 800 000 units sold. I doubt it sold that much in the west, but I'm sure it sold good enough.

did the first one include japanese voice option?

That was the only option.

Takao

Banned
So I should probably just sell my Vita if even Koei isn't willing to bring games over at this point.

Namco Bandai is publishing this game.

do you read

I guess we can scratch off God Eater 2 then if they're not willing to localize a Vita port of a game they're already translating. I didn't know Sony QA was that expensive...

Woooooooo

Still haven't gotten all medals in the original. Had waaaay more fun than I expected. Great moveset, animation and models.

Mpl90

do you read

I guess we can scratch off God Eater 2 then if they're not willing to localize a Vita port of a game they're already translating. I didn't know Sony QA was that expensive...

And to think that God Eater actually came out with the Burst version over here... Do we know how much did GE:B sell in NA, at least? I'm ready for an awful amount, though.

Pikma

Banned
Namco announced it for release today along with Project X Zone.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/21/one-piece-pirate-warriors-2-announced

Crunchyroll states that it will be PSN exclusive again.

I'm pretty sad to see that the Vita version isn't coming out over here.

Crunchyroll said:
Namco Bandai also teased a "big announcement" for February 4! We'll be sure to bring you more details on these titles as they become available!

What do we have here?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

do you read

Koei has published Omega Force titles in NA before that Bamco wasn't willing to.

do you eat shit?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Project X Zone and Pirate Warriors 2? Today is a good day.

I'm guessing by the quick turn around that we won't get the dub actors again? That's a shame.

sense

i feel like a lot of games get delayed vita releases because they want to try and sell these niche games at the 60$ price point first and then down the road release the vita version for 40$ when the console versions comes down in price as well. so i wouldn't count out the vita version yet.

Sqorgar

Banned
For real. I need to delete the first game and some other install data/PSN games to even come close to getting this.
This will be the fifth Musou game announces as digital-only in the US (the second PS3-only). The games are roughly 11 gigs in size and take several dozens of hours to download over PSN's slow service. This is only the second sequel. The others come from completely different series (One Piece, Ken's Rage 2, DW7 Empires, and Warriors Orochi 3) which play very differently and a Musou fan is likely to want quick access to each of them (I'm currently play WO3, One Piece, and Trinity: Souls of Zil'Oll - casually, but simultaneously).

It's getting ridiculous. It is just not physically possible to be a PS3 Musou fan in the US anymore.

Tiu Neo

This will be the fifth Musou game announces as digital-only in the US (the second PS3-only). The games are roughly 11 gigs in size and take several dozens of hours to download over PSN's slow service. This is only the second sequel. The others come from completely different series (One Piece, Ken's Rage 2, DW7 Empires, and Warriors Orochi 3) which play very differently and a Musou fan is likely to want quick access to each of them (I'm currently play WO3, One Piece, and Trinity: Souls of Zil'Oll - casually, but simultaneously).

It's getting ridiculous. It is just not physically possible to be a PS3 Musou fan in the US anymore.

Yeah... I'll probably delete the first game when this one is released, but this, DW7E, WO3 and Ken's Rage 2 are so different that I'll probably have them all on my hdd at the same time. Between this and Plus, my 500GB drive is getting full pretty fast :(

Maybe I'll rush Ken's Rage 2 so I can delete it, but WO3 and Empires I can see myself playing even after I got their platinum trophies...

DR2K

Banned
I guess I'll get it on PS3, but I'm not sure why they can't put it out on Vita as well. Since it's the game game can be released in the same format.

I feel your pain also. I had to delete DC Universe Online off my HDD just to make room for this game. Not only that but on my DCUO profile I had a lvl25 hero, and payed $5 for the green lantern DLC.

It truly is a pain to keep up with the musou games.

Sqorgar

Banned
I guess I'll get it on PS3, but I'm not sure why they can't put it out on Vita as well. Since it's the game game can be released in the same format.
My guess is that either A) They don't want to release the same game at a lower price point simultaneously or, more likely, B) the Vita isn't doing terribly well right now and they don't think they'll get their investment back, C) the Vita version is still deeper in development at the moment and it is premature to announce it, or D) the Vita version kinda sucks.

BatDan

My guess is that either A) They don't want to release the same game at a lower price point simultaneously or, more likely, B) the Vita isn't doing terribly well right now and they don't think they'll get their investment back, C) the Vita version is still deeper in development at the moment and it is premature to announce it, or D) the Vita version kinda sucks.

This was the reason Namco gave for not localizing Tales of Innocence R, so that sounds likely.

Drago

Awesome news :D

I never played the first one but, assuming I don't need to play 1, I'll be sure to get this once it comes out.

What a day for announcements, thanks Namco!

Slow service? I downloaded the first in 30 minutes.

Aru

Great. Will surely buy it on my US account then. I don't mind having the game in digital format, it'll be cheaper. Especially if they do a similar PS+ offer like they did for the first game !

BatDan

One thing we can take from this is that the first Pirate Warriors did well in NA despite being digital only, and $50 dollars. I still need to get it...

This was the reason Namco gave for not localizing Tales of Innocence R, so that sounds likely.

One would think that a DD release of a game that's being localized anyway would be a much more attractive proposition than an RPG that's never previously been localized and is exclusive to Vita, though.

Takao

Banned

[citation needed]

Besides, the cost of localizing Innocence R and One Piece PW2 on Vita are vastly different. Innocence has no official translation AFAIK, but Scamco is obviously translating this One Piece game. The only costs they'd need to recoup here are the Sony certification, and translation reprogramming costs, which shouldn't be a huge cost.

Looking it up, Namco Bandai US confirmed they're publishing the Vita version of MUD: FIM Motocross, so this may indeed be a case of delayed release/announcements.

Top Bottom