• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

What is ghosting? Lag?

It is an exploit due to the global server location system.

Player is engaged in combat, he takes note of the enemy players location, disconnects, joins another server relocates behind enemy player, rejoins original server and kills the player from behind.

IMACOMPUTA

It is an exploit due to the global server location system.

Player is engaged in combat, he takes note of the enemy players location, disconnects, joins another server relocates behind enemy player, rejoins original server and kills the player from behind.
AKA bitch shit!

owlbeak

At night it should be absolutely fine. I can get right up to them crouch walking.

In the day though theres a new addition, basically the game has a 'probability' of you being randomly seen. Its really not beneficial to sneak now; as no matter how careful you are, a random zombie might chase you and hit you when you don't expect it. I mostly run everywhere now.

Am hoping they remove it from the game; or replace it with Zombies moving towards you - not chasing, just changing direction - adding some difficulty.

Atm its a bit game breaking, but it is alpha and it is a recent addition.
I hope so. Not nearly as fun when you can be seen regardless of distance and stealth. :\

I preferred it the way it was before that change.

RyanDG

Elektro was tense today. A bandit had littered the place with bodies; but I got him in the end.
He had a camping tent - woot. I bag it and prepare to move on; log off for dinner.

I was watching someone go on a tear through Elektro. There were a couple of times I was going to take a shot at him, but realized it was better for me (only my crossbow) to hold off and see if he got any closer to my hiding spot. He moved on, but he took out 2-3 people in a span of about 15 minutes. Wonder if it was the same guy.

Those of GAF that play DayZ, what is your opinion on The War Z? If you haven't heard of it, http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07...r&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&page=1 is the link that talks about it. I've always wanted to play DayZ once I got a good gaming rig, but I might hold out and just go to that, I'm not sure =/

MMO with Quests versus DayZ. Completely different. Right now DayZ incorporates the experience of being in the aftermath of some kind of apocalypse. That MMO sounds entirely like every other Zombie game around, throw you into a mess of zombies with a group of survivors with a pre-defined goal. That's fun, but it's not what is so attractive about DayZ.

killed a cow and was cooking the steaks. apparently the fire was hungry because it ate 4 of my 8 steaks. They just vanished into thin air. Odd.

Luckily the 4 I still had were enough to get me to 12000 blood

DTKT

Exploit time.

When you cook a steak, you can press the "Cook Meat" again. You can do it twice per steak. That means that each steak in your inventory can be used twice.

NH Apache

Banned
There's a new game called the War Z coming out sometime this year. It seems pretty similar to DayZ.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/19/the-war-z-a-new-zombie-survival-experience?page=1

IGN needs a better editor damn. Do they even proofread these things?

So I just spawned in, and for some reason I'm on the southern coast now instead of being near Stary. It said day 0 coming in to the match but I still have all my gear. Weird.

And now begins the long trek.

Edit: and kicked.

And back-ish.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Stay away from Elektro - 2 bandits, killing everything they see and putting stuff in their full backpacks to make it 'bug out' of the game.

Unlikely. If they just want to destroy loot they can't carry all they have to do is hide the bodies.

If they're destroying loot that is in a spawn point, on the other hand, they're farming and actually doing everybody else a favor by getting rid of the useless drops so real loot can spawn.

zon

Sure. Just too busy to get back in it atm.

Yeah, but not as much as I used to.

Bonjour!

Currently its not letting me play. Might try again at lunchtime.

Just got it last night ........ eventually got it up and running.

Should be on for a few hours tonight.

Add me on steam ..... Jburton.

Good to see that eu-dayz is not completely dead. I was worried at first when I didn't see anyone on Mumble.

Orgun! I have wondered where you and the others went. I took a break and when I came back to DayZ all of you were gone. I've got a irl friend hooked on the game and we've been playing it together for about a week now. I'm trying to get a second one to join too. :)

wolfmat: Ok, the game will still be around for you when you have the time again. And your character will still be left too, I was gone for 3-4 weeks and my old character was still alive and well.

McBradders: Bonjour! What is wrong with it?

JBurton: I have sent you a friend request on steam.

If they're destroying loot that is in a spawn point, on the other hand, they're farming and actually doing everybody else a favor by getting rid of the useless drops so real loot can spawn.

Right well - this. Not sure if this is helpful to anyone, seeing as their killing the entire population whilst also taking any new spawned loot for themselves.

WedgeX

Banned
I don't think I'll play touch the game again until they add some goals. Right now the main goal is to survive. I can survive in the woods easily. Why should I go to Elektrozavodsk and other cities?

Make up your own goal. Mine is to retake a city. And Imma do it, too.

I enjoy it solo much more than with friends. I don't have to run anywhere for half an hour to meet up and I have to scavenge supplies because nobody will give them to me.

This is one problem I have never encountered with the GAF group. Everyone is fairly generous to fellow gaffers.

RyanDG

Just had one of the best scavenging runs I've had in Elektro (while dodging a group of marauders before the server reset).

Ended up walking away with a Canteen, Czech Pack, Map, Compass, Watch, Shotgun, Pistol, Hatchet, Hunting Knife, Matches, and a crap ton of bandages all in the matter of about half an hour. I'm tempted to go hole up in the woods for a while while I decide what I want to do with all this stuff.

Edit - Maybe I should do a Gaf cookout. ;)

Aku-Audi

Me and my friends were playing this for a while today, and we set up a tent, stored our things and saved it there before eating lunch for a few minutes. Came back on to find our tent completely gone, along with our stuff.

Fuck

I am a terrible judge of character, anyone I think may be friendly is a bandit, and anyone I think is a bandit is friendly. RIP T Bone

His only mistake was carrying a scoped rifle.

RyanDG

I am a terrible judge of character, anyone I think may be friendly is a bandit, and anyone I think is a bandit is friendly. RIP T Bone

His only mistake was carrying a scoped rifle.

I tried to see about helping someone a bit earlier who I thought was being chased by zombies. Ended up paying for it with a rifle blast to my back while I was trying to run away from them after I realized that there was probably a misunderstanding about my intentions. Easy come, easy go. ;)

News Bot

Banned
Is it normal for there to be a god damn bench right inside one of the barracks of the NW airfield? The game began to lag out like crazy and I got shot at suddenly. Hacker?

Lost my precious night vision goggles. :(

legacyzero

Banned
This is one problem I have never encountered with the GAF group. Everyone is fairly generous to fellow gaffers.

Yeah. Especially if you are playing with that Legache guy. He's so dreamy. :p

I think I may actually jump back on DayZ this weekend. Hmmm.... I haven't played for almost a month.
Yeah, I NEED to get back on. Between family and backlog (and frustration from Hackers) Ive been away. But I miss the deep talking MOB, the team killing Gibs, the deep disappointment of getting murders after days of collecting things.

Yep. This weekend for sho

WedgeX

Banned
Yeah. Especially if you are playing with that Legache guy. He's so dreamy. :p

Yeah, I NEED to get back on. Between family and backlog (and frustration from Hackers) Ive been away. But I miss the deep talking MOB, the team killing Gibs, the deep disappointment of getting murders after days of collecting things.

Yep. This weekend for sho

I have a collection of rifles for those I travel with the next time I see some gaffers.

Tonight featured at least twenty people being killed while battling for Cherno. Still not compelled to venture northward.

legacyzero

Banned
Le Gassy? Not such a cool dude... or is he?
iUqVG0ylH3iWe.gif

1. Bring your friend to the tallest building in cherno pretending to look for people to shoot or whatever
2. Specify which one of you is the target
3. ????
4. Loot his dead body
Payment options: 1 easy payment of Sardines
I work pro bono occasionally as well.

Orgun

Orgun! I have wondered where you and the others went. I took a break and when I came back to DayZ all of you were gone. I've got a irl friend hooked on the game and we've been playing it together for about a week now. I'm trying to get a second one to join too. :)

I'll have to start jumping on mumble more often. Most of my ARMA time lately has been with the shacktac guys doing stuff like

Providing CAS

A taste of command

Helicopter Race

KareBear

Were is the best place to purchase Arma 2(digitally) primarily for the purpose of playing DayZ?I see its available on steam and some other services.Im just wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.Thanks in advance for any help.

WARP10CK

Banned
Were is the best place to purchase Arma 2(digitally) primarily for the purpose of playing DayZ?I see its available on steam and some other services.Im just wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.Thanks in advance for any help.

Arma 2 combined operations on steam is really cheap right now. Just buy it there dayz works just fine with that version.

But make sure you buy the combined operations pack since dayz requires it.

Twinduct

Man I suck in this game. I aggro zombies way too easily and then I end up running around, looking for a barn or something I can use to subdue my chasing zombies.

Fun fact, if you run towards a player with 13 zombies chasing you, don't expect him to help you :<

ZenVolta

Lost my M16 with M203 on a server change. Was kinda sad about it since I had a 3 HE rounds. But what makes it weird is that I kept all the ammo, so I had 6 Stag and 2 Stag SD mags just filling up space. Still wanted to blow something up though lol

ZenVolta

rocket said:
Working on 1.7.2.4

Includes a first cast attempt at fixing ALT-F4.

Will put up a Pending Update thread when I have an eta for release

This is should make people very happy. Maybe just as many unhappy lol

Top Bottom