• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

HelloMeow

It's really not just planetary landings. It's also loot and crafting, multicrew, commander creation and ship launched fighters. And a lot of other stuff, like ships, qcq maps and new weapons.

Wreav

Banned
I generally dont have time (especially since its the finals..) but i logged on and landed on 4 planets. The first one, on top of a mountain, that took me ~25 mins descending its slope, barely made it out alive with 3% hull. I didnt find an icy planet that looks icy like the screenshots in the op yet, i did land on an icy worlds, but it was more rock than ice.

Amazing tech.

Still the AMD bug in SC though -_-
The AMD bug is the driver's fault, and a new one is on the way.

golem

Great op! Not sure if these updates will lure me back into Elite world for a long period of time but they sound interesting. Will give it a spin later

Hmm.. so it's up on Steam. Am I right with the assumption that if I buy Horizons on Steam I'll have a seperate entry in my library, so Ill have to uninstall ED and reinstall it as ED Horizons?

Yep. I just uninstalled the original version after making sure it wasn't using any of the files. ED Horizons works fine without it.

It permanently has the version number in the bottom left corner though... Is there any way to remove this? I didn't see an option for it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Its a bummer full "all" planet type landings wont make it in 2016. I will be waiting for that until I upgrade from my $15 space only version.

You know honestly I'm kind of glad they are divvying it up. If it was all at once it would be a tad overwhelming, I mean there are a LOT of airless planets out there to explore and run around on.

Buggy Loop

Btw, remember newsletter 49?

"free access to one of the 5 new ships when it’s released!"

Im a premium beta backer, didnt find any ships in my inventory :(

Sarcasm

Kind of weird.

1) ED has an update on steam...8GB.

2) ED: Horizons is a separate library entry that is 6GB +/-

Do I need the OG client?

Reese-015

Ok so I've managed to land my ship on a planet and drop down in my vehicle and it's amazing... Now why does my vehicle not drive? It's just... stuck when I deploy it.

Sibylus

Banned
So is the lifetime expansion pass coming this winter as suggested in the OT? Will it be on Steam or just Frontier's store?

Jedi2016

Heh.. I never stopped using the original launcher, so I'm good. Won't be able to play for a couple hours, though, got too much shit to do tonight. FUUUUUUU

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yo...... This looks awesome. I bought an X52 and TrackIr for this game and loved it. Got bored space trucking after a few weeks but, it is a damn fine game. I'll wait a bit to see how this pans out before a purchase. Looks fun though. I'd love to be able to race buddies in a canyon on a planet. That'd be bad ass

JambiBum

I got mine from their site.

That's where I've been trying to get mine from. It shows up in the partner keys tab right? I saw on their forums that some people still haven't gotten theirs and will probably get them tomorrow so it isn't that big of a deal.

Reese-015

You're driving controls aren't mapped.

Okidoki. That was dumb of me. Though why the hell did they not map throttle up to accelerate...

Anyway, this is all pretty damn awesome. The sense of scale, isolation, exploration,...

Shit's damn heavy on the cpu/gpu though. Had to turn terrain quality and terrain material quality down to low. :/

Okidoki. That was dumb of me. Though why the hell did they not map throttle up to accelerate...

Anyway, this is all pretty damn awesome. The sense of scale, isolation, exploration,...

Shit's damn heavy on the cpu/gpu though. Had to turn terrain quality and terrain material quality down to low. :/

I don't know what it's like for a brand new owner but I did find it very strange that they weren't mapped with default controls when I first played the beta.

The black friday skins are great. Pure colors especially black are the kind of skins I'd expect to be the best selling. I'm surprised they gave that one for free.

bobeth

Damn, $45 is really steep for the addition of planetary landings. I was under the impression that expansions would be running in the 15-25 dollar range.

Ugh.
I feel the same. Even with the 25% off, itvs 60$ canadian. It feels expensive for an expansion, which it is.. I'll wait for a sale, which is unfortunate..

This is confusing. I just downloaded the update on Steam and after running it I have a choice of 32 bit or 64 bit ED but no mention of horizons. Meanwhile, I have a separate install for horizons downloading another 6 gigs, 2 gig smaller than the original game. So what's going on here? Can I run the updated original and go make a landing or do I now need to wait for that other download and run that instead?

Sarcasm

This is confusing. I just downloaded the update on Steam and after running it I have a choice of 32 bit or 64 bit ED but no mention of horizons. Meanwhile, I have a separate install for horizons downloading another 6 gigs, 2 gig smaller than the original game. So what's going on here? Can I run the updated original and go make a landing or do I now need to wait for that other download and run that instead?

You have to run the one that says: Horizons from your library.

Horizons is a separate entry in Steam. If I had to guess, they went that way because it's probably the only way they could add it as an Early Access game.

Just something they overlook sometimes when moving from beta -> live. They'll patch it out.

lol sometimes? How does something like that even stay in when they push it to the final version? I figure they would automate removing the dev tools and stuff like that.

DrBo42

Horizons is a separate entry in Steam. If I had to guess, they went that way because it's probably the only way they could add it as an Early Access game.

And the only way they can remove all the negative reviews this shallow expansion is going to get before they finish the year.

lol sometimes? How does something like that even stay in when they push it to the final version? I figure they would automate removing the dev tools and stuff like that.

FD gonna FD.

Chris_C

A quick story from a new commander.

I'd never played one of these kinds of games before, but picked up Elite during a Steam sale. Needless to say, the learning curve has been extremely steep, especially since the in-game tutorials don't exactly hold your hand.

It can be immensely frustrating as my third mission asked me to locate some Painite, which I didn't know at the time is hard to locate. After two days of flight tutorials and setting up a control system for my Xbox controller I was comfortable with, I headed for the system indicated in the quest log. I was armed with a pair of mining lasers and the Google-powered knowledge that I should look for planets with metallic rings.

I got to the right system, but after about 30 minutes of flying around in supercruise, I was unable to find any "strong signal sources" which are supposedly indicative of the presence of Painite. Running low on fuel, I decided to head to a nearby station to resupply. Then I accidentally engaged FSD and made a jump that used up just about all my fuel. It took me to an uninhabited star system with nothing but a single sun for company.

I knew it was the end, but I couldn't bring myself to fly into the sun. I pointed my ship in the direction of the nearest station and entered supercruise, wondering if momentum might take me to safety even if my fuel ran out. 5.4LY away seemed so near, yet so far.

Sure enough, I ran out of fuel and dropped out of supercruise, and came to a dead stop. Almost immediately, an unidentified craft whizzed past my cockpit. A quick scan, a tense moment... was he here to help? Could he help? And he sent a message, "hand over your cargo or be destroyed." I had two ancient artifacts in my hold and hastily tried to dump them, and then realized I couldn't, because the cargo scoop wouldn't deploy. Bzzzat! Bzzzat! He'd opened fire.

I wouldn't let him have the cargo. I looked to the right, scrolled down to self-destruct, and confirmed. Felt like a failure. I know you're supposed to die in games, but it feels a bit more real in Elite.

I'm not sure I'm having fun, but it's an interesting experience and I want to learn more. How do I join up with a GAF crew?

Alright, OT is DONE...for now. It will be a constant WIP, so please let me know if anything should be added. Over the next day, I'm doing to work on a little flowchart that should help with ship selection for noobs

Yes, they do--don't know if it is making Year 2, though.

However, from the AMA, sounds like your fighter ships can be deployed and controlled by AI?

Cool, I have a long "wait and see" with this game (played A LOT back in Sept 14 when they had the beta deal going on).

I just wanted to fly around near a planet, I have a decked out Anaconda but i want it to be able to move my smaller ships ... not sure if they added that kind of stuff yet, I'll have to check. Because having a "home base" really sucks, I just want to cruise out into the middle of nowhere and see what stuff I can find.

I have SDK .7 for my DK2 so hopefully the .8 works like some have mentioned.

Man, planetary landings and such have been what I've REALLY wanted. Hopefully it's a bit more fleshed out than the community stuff.

Downloading now though, hopefully have some time to get it running with the DK2 so I can show the family this weekend.

Fasty

Alright, OT is DONE...for now. It will be a constant WIP, so please let me know if anything should be added. Over the next day, I'm doing to work on a little flowchart that should help with ship selection for noobs

Here's a Google Doc Spreadsheet of GAF commanders from the original Elite Dangerous thread. Might be worth posting (or starting a new one, as a lot of these commanders seem to not be online anymore)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eEBdWaH9-S7jsV92F6EIEaQ2GJ15mPq9XwZPqikCHvs/edit?usp=sharing

Great OT, I would add

https://eddb.io/ - For finding stations, goods, ships, etc., and
http://coriolis.io/ - For ship outfitting

This kind of functionality should really be in the game itself.

This + actual in-game communication options outside of chat. Wish we could interact with others in-game to coordinate for stuff like Powerplay and Community Goals.

Anyway--added both to the "Resources" section and also added the outfitting page to the outfitting section.

Since we're adding resources to the OP I would recommend adding FaceTrackNoIR to the op, it's a free, webcam based face tracking software that can add an approximation of TrackIR functionality to the game.

I've always wanted to try CQC, it looks really fun. I love the maneuverability of the little fighters but I'm scared what kind of toll that kind of white knuckle combat will have on my HOTAS over time. I'm watching a stream of someone playing now and the new Imperial Fighter has a damn nice cockpit. One thing is for sure, the Imperials have style.

Jedi2016

First landing on an ice world... fucking incredible.

I did have to turn terrain to medium and materials to high. Ultra ran at around 8-10fps, I guess the old 680 has finally met its match.. hehe. But it's running fine now. Not sure of the exact framerates, but it's smooth (no thanks to Gsync, I'm sure). I might try turning the materials back up, I'm not sure which of the two settings is causing the most framerate trouble.

Did anyone else have problems with practically every control for the SRV being bound inverted by default? I can't count the number of times I had to back into the control menu to fiddle with the inversion settings on practically every axis. Even the mouse for the turret controls.

And then I did a flyby of a nearby settlement, which no one told me was high security. There was no way to request docking or anything, so now I've got a bounty and I'm wanted at my own home station. Just fucking great. Yeah, I know, it'll wear off in a day. I'll just take some missions in another system tomorrow until the heat's off.. lol.

kvk1

Did anyone else have problems with practically every control for the SRV being bound inverted by default? I can't count the number of times I had to back into the control menu to fiddle with the inversion settings on practically every axis. Even the mouse for the turret controls.

Yes, setting up the controls for that thing was super frustrating.

I just ended up using a gamepad for it instead of my HOTAS.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yes, setting up the controls for that thing was super frustrating.

I just ended up using a gamepad for it instead of my HOTAS.

I spent a good half hour setting up my HOTAS to drive the SRV, but finally got it where I like it. However, using a 360 pad sounds like it might work well actually, I might have to try that tomorrow.

Man, I'm having a blast with Horizons so far. My first landing was on Diagandri AB2, an ice planet that was fairly stunning looking.

JbPNzdV.png

6RxhdS1.png

Found a bunch of materials, I really like how the wave scanner works, that thing's pretty slick. Got myself into a canyon that was a right bitch to get out of, these ice worlds can cause traction problems! Came upon a wrecked cargo container that was guarded by two skimmers, turns out they were wanted too so I actually got a bounty for taking them out, not to mention the couple of tea canisters they were guarding. You could make a living just driving around salvaging wrecks and selling the loot, pretty fun.

I spent all night roaming around one planet, LOL!

Effect

I really wish the SRV controls were mapped right from the start. If the gamepad works I'll just try plugging that in.

Top Bottom