• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Especially for people in Europe.

I know many folks over there that have data caps, which is nuts! Delta patcher will help immensely.

Not really, Europe has some of the best internet connections in the world (maybe even better then the US). We never had data caps here in the Netherlands. Also we have the fastest overall connections in Europe and are in the top 5 internet countries in the world.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Whew, this one has a lot packed into it.

Some Endeavor style domes in that base at 10:53 and a bit of farming equipment at 11:00.

I was surprised that render-to-texture was something that engines didn't do already. It's certainly an improvement from having your UI drawn as a flat overlay.

Edit: hey, VR actually got a mention at 16:45. Nice

Zabojnik

I cannot get over this
https://fat.gfycat.com/BlankMeekLeafhopper.webm

It honestly is pretty much a 1:1 recreation of what my mind always thought UI would look like in a projected helmet. Blockbuster quality effects and believability here.

EVpWTde.png

Star Citizen & Iron Man legend John Likens vindicated. I, for one, always believed in his vision.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

iHaunter

Not really, Europe has some of the best internet connections in the world (maybe even better then the US). We never had data caps here in the Netherlands. Also we have the fastest overall connections in Europe and are in the top 5 internet countries in the world.

Well...I guess I was mistaken, everyone seems to be saying no.

I haven't met anyone in the US with Data Caps, but I guess that might just be me? I get 400 Mbps for $70 here in NJ. :O

~Cross~

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Latest Schedule Report, In which aim dates fucking disappear and "finish" isnt even categorized but its on september 8.

Now given the change in narrative over the past few weeks about these things needing to be ready FOR THE EVOCATI its safe to assume that september 8 is now their evocati release date and anything after that would be for ptu and live.

No bamboozle forecast now mentions their worst case scenario to be mid october when it used to be lateish september. I still think anything september for live is becoming a pipedream. Anything post 3.0 in this year is extremely unlikely before they have to close up shop for the holidays. Maybe some bugfixes for whatever inevitably breaks once it hits live.

word is streamers attending gamescom will be playing the 2.6.3 build lmao and they didn't include dates for evocati or PTU either... YIKES.

looks like i was right about October too.. i guess im better at release schedules than the team over at CIG.

Zabojnik

word is streamers attending gamescom will be playing the 2.6.3 build lmao and they didn't include dates for evocati or PTU either... YIKES.

Well, I mean, Gamescom is all about SC, so they were obviously not going to show off 3.0 before the main event on Friday, regardless of how far along it is. Right? Having said that, yeah, these delays are no doubt bound to mess up their convention plans. Hopefully they'll have some (other) cool stuff to show. Judging by what we've seen on AtV lately, I think they'll be fine.

Well, I mean, Gamescom is all about SC, so they were obviously not going to show off 3.0 before the main event on Friday, regardless of how far along it is. Right? Having said that, yeah, these delays are no doubt bound to mess up their convention plans. Hopefully they'll have some (other) cool stuff to show. Judging by what we've seen on AtV lately, I think they'll be fine.

Exactly.

It's just like any other year that they couldn't get a new build out. They didn't care to just postpone stuff just because of it.

looks like i was right about October too.. i guess im better at release schedules than the team over at CIG.

I imagine they will push out the evocati for gamescom

Ganyc

well, the streamers can't play 3.0 when it's not even evocati ready.

look at the schedule, they explain why they removed the dates. (but you can still see the final date on the schedule, i imagine that this is the evocati date)

Eolz

Lol, I'd be really interested where that "word" is coming from
because it's not what is happening

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Latest Schedule Report, In which aim dates fucking disappear and "finish" isnt even categorized but its on september 8.

Now given the change in narrative over the past few weeks about these things needing to be ready FOR THE EVOCATI its safe to assume that september 8 is now their evocati release date and anything after that would be for ptu and live.

No bamboozle forecast now mentions their worst case scenario to be mid october when it used to be lateish september. I still think anything september for live is becoming a pipedream. Anything post 3.0 in this year is extremely unlikely before they have to close up shop for the holidays. Maybe some bugfixes for whatever inevitably breaks once it hits live.

Anyone know why every time I visit this page now it launches both SteamVR and the Oculus app?

~Cross~

I imagine they will push out the evocati for gamescom

Assuming that they arent delayed anymore, they'll finish mission givers in the middle of gamescom. That leaves them a day to bug fix and finish the build exclusions/mergers to create viable build. Doesn't seem very likely.

This doesn't even take into account the recent increase in scope that has left them TBD on things like moons needing to be reworked to be less sparse and possibly the character creator. Not to mention it took them a week to get a net decrease of 7 bugs, from the 90 they had. They would have to forgo their whole "These bugs need to be fixed before the evocati release" plan they've been trying to justify for the last month.

Lol, I'd be really interested where that "word" is coming from because it's not what is happening

Please, if you have more accurate information, share it. Last years plan was to try and stream 2.6, then that cut down to 2.5, then finally settled for 2.4.

Zabojnik

Who even cares what they'll show at Gamescom. All I want is some junk food, good company and bitching about how we should stick to our Twitch channel during the livestream. #traditions #fuckdiscord #onlyduringsteamtho

iHaunter

Seeing the quality of everything, I kind of stopped caring about release dates.

I'd rather wait to have everything the quality it is in the world that it is, this is the only chance that I can see for us to have a game like this. No developer will ever invest in a game that might now be possible.

Who even cares what they'll show at Gamescom. All I want is some junk food, good company and bitching about how we should stick to our Twitch channel during the livestream. #traditions #fuckdiscord #onlyduringsteamtho

You mean like every SC event where I get rather toasty on beer and tell you all how much I love you guys?

Sounds like a lot of fun to me, regardless of announcements :D

Exactly. It's no different then them showing 1.0 or 2.0 at GamesCom. When they've not released a new build yet. CIG isn't going to rush 3.0 out to appease the impatient. Especially not on the show room floor were lots of people that know nothing about SC or CIG will be walking through and wanting to play something stable. Which even with all 2.6 faults it is indeed stable.

Basically the Show Floor is for the non-backers and the press to talk to CR (Even see him play a build of 3.0 there). The even itself is for the backers and it's always been that way. They've never really showcased a brand new build at Gamescom before.

Anyone that's bring it up as some huge negative have an agenda.

Zabojnik

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/897243859587026945[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/897564066591494145[/tweet]

It's happening. Well, something is.

Newboi

I didn't know that Sandi Gardiner‏ was a Star Citizen Co-founder. Did she work on Wing Commander with Chris Roberts?

Anyway, I'm always excited to see progress with Star Citizen. I'm hoping that they can really blow everyone away with an in-game 3.0 demonstration.

Daedardus

I didn't know that Sandi Gardiner‏ was a Star Citizen Co-founder. Did she work on Wing Commander with Chris Roberts?

Anyway, I'm always excited to see progress with Star Citizen. I'm hoping that they can really blow everyone away with an in-game 3.0 demonstration.

I don't know if she worked on the game with him, but surely a friend of Roberts must have been a big Wingman Commander.
Sandi's married to Chris.

Normally founders help with initial start up money. Since she is married to Chris it probably was no brainer for him to get her involved. She is an actress so he put her in front of a camera for marketing and in the game as a character.

Ganyc

Friday at 21h CEST. Or 9pm (12pm PDT / 7pm UTC), as some people prefer to call it. Plus the traditional delay, of course.

and before that, we will get an Interview with Chris and Gamestar:

Chris Roberts will be joining the GameStar Live Stream at Gamescom. Tune in to the GameStarDE Twitch or Youtube channel on Thursday, August 24, at 1:30 PM UTC to catch a live Q&A session with the man himself.

Zabojnik

and before that, we will get an Interview with Chris and Gamestar:

Chris Roberts will be joining the GameStar Live Stream at Gamescom. Tune in to the GameStarDE Twitch or Youtube channel on Thursday, August 24, at 1:30 PM UTC to catch a live Q&A session with the man himself.

Nice. I knew I did the right thing when I took the week off.

F!ReW!Re

Hey guys are there any good longer vids about 3.0 and the features in it or should I wait for gamecon?

I haven't been keeping up with the game and I'm building a new system soon, planning to maybe jump on this...

So, based on their projected "must fix" bugfix rate, they're 5 months from an 'Evocati' release.
I assume the evocati is like the pre-beta version, but I'm not up-to-date with the jargon.

Yet they are also saying in the same progress tracker page they have a release target in less than 3 weeks.

I have no idea what to believe at this point, but I'm going with the Christmas release date, based on previous "it'll be at [convention stream]" followed by "actually it's not ready, but it's nearly done" followed by "we're not doing it until the next update, stay tuned for big news at [next convention]".

So, based on their projected "must fix" bugfix rate, they're 5 months from an 'Evocati' release.
I assume the evocati is like the pre-beta version, but I'm not up-to-date with the jargon.

Yet they are also saying in the same progress tracker page they have a release target in less than 3 weeks.

I have no idea what to believe at this point, but I'm going with the Christmas release date, based on previous "it'll be at [convention stream]" followed by "actually it's not ready, but it's nearly done" followed by "we're not doing it until the next update, stay tuned for big news at [next convention]".

You have no idea how this works or what your talking about...so stop speculating.

Top Bottom