• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

joe2187

Banned
Alrighty after nearly three days of trying I finally beat Unurtr, the boss of the school house dungeon floor 5.

Fuck that boss fight with an almighty ice blast.

Super infuriating, especially when I've gotten him down to .0001% HP and then he takes two extra turns and he gets a CP and 50% HP bonus.

How far am I from the ending?

Alrighty after nearly three days of trying I finally beat Unurtr, the boss of the school house dungeon floor 5.

Fuck that boss fight with an almighty ice blast.

Super infuriating, especially when I've gotten him down to .0001% HP and then he takes two extra turns and he gets a CP and 50% HP bonus.

How far am I from the ending?

Depends on how you play these games (eg, talking to all the NPCs and doing every side quest or going more straight through), but I'd say you have at least 30 hours left.

duckroll

Wait, you can get Rank A0 without getting S on every single chapter? I think I've missed like 3 points so far, I thought once you miss a single one, you're done?

Saphirax

Wait, you can get Rank A0 without getting S on every single chapter? I think I've missed like 3 points so far, I thought once you miss a single one, you're done?

Nope, you can miss more than 3 points. Up to 10 max I believe. I missed 3 AP and got A0 easily.

duckroll

Wow, there's hope for me yet! I think I missed one of the Mishy set items already, but I have all the 3 straps, should have all the fishing stuff too. Might not be too shabby overall.

I'm in Chapter 4 now, over 40 hours clocked. Heimdallr is really impressive. Both Nord and Heimdallr really highlight the benefits of going full 3D. I'm loving the scale.

duckroll

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - First 10 minutes

Oh, this sounds like a narrative recap of some content they cut out from the game because they couldn't finish it....

*goes read the Drama CD transcript on XSEED's site*

Okay, this is DEFINITELY content they cut out of the game because they couldn't finish it, lol. It even has a boss fight!

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Hours 1-2

Fuck yeah preparing for the School Festival is the best! This is just like that subquest event in TitS FC! Except bigger and better! And this time I don't have to help put up decorations! It's sooooo cool! Oh look, more Crossbell saga references I don't get, sneaked into optional quests! Oh look, another dating event! This game is uguu~!!!

HOLY CRAP! Actual School Festival! OMG! Actual minigames! Actual food stands! OMG DATING EVENTS!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THIS IS THE BESTEST! OMG OMG OMG!

*cycles through all Millium emotes*

(>_<) THIS IS THE BEST, GUYS! TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Hours 3-4

Whoa this Final Dungeon reminds me of a diet SMT game! It's totally weird but it's cool! I don't even know what's really going on! If this is the final episode of an anime it would totally be called "Save The School Festival!" Roflmao. Oh look, the final boss. Wait this is Unlimited Blade Works. I remember this from an animu! What's even going on! Whatever, the game will be over soon, I just want to see the concert!

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Hours 5-6

Finally, the ending! Well, this game hasn't been about much, but it makes sense that it ends with Class VII coming together to literally "perform" for everyone. Thematically this all makes sense. I'm really surprised the concert was so cheap though. They couldn't even afford real vocals? What's going on Falcom? And why is this song so famous that everyone is singing along. Am I missing about Crossbell saga reference?! Whatever... FINAL DATE time. Uguutastic~ Towa-sempai pls uguu with me!

*waits for credits to roll with next game teaser*

*waits some more*

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Hours 7-8

WHAT

THE

FUCK.

It's like the TV series ended and they just rolled right into a 2 hour anime movie where all the REAL SHIT happens.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

HEY I REMEMBER THESE MECHS FROM CODE GEASS!

WAIT WHY ARE THE LORDS OF ELEMENTAL FROM SRW HERE?!

HOLD ON WAIT THERE IS STILL MORE ACTUAL GAME?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DROWNING IN OUROBOROS MEMBERS EVERYWHERE!

Trails of Cold Steel - Final Chapter - Actual Final Battle and Ending

Whoa whoa whoa. This is a fucking BORING "mecha" battle. Zzzzzzzz. Oh okay there's another one. Shit it's just bori-.... Oh I see what they're doing here. There'll probably be a cutscene after this and a cliffhanger ending. Haha. Well played.

WAIT.

WHAT.

I AM IN A MECH FIGHTING WITH UNARMED KUNG FU AND MY CO-PILOT IS A TALKING CAT.

WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG RIGHT?!

Wow, there's a whole different tweaked battle system for mechs. This Xenoawesome! Haha take that! Tutorial battle win!!!!

There is.... MORE?!

WOW THIS BATTLE ROCKS. It's really tightly balanced and I need to actually pay attention to win, and there are lots of new skills to play with and it's awesome! OMG!

YESSSSSSS! I WIN! So... where's this cliffhanger I keep hearing about? Looks like I kicked their asses and they're going to retreat.

Wait...

what...

errrrrr

*credits roll*

This should be illegal...

About to start chapter 6 field trip.
Forgot to deliver the damn golden salmon in chapter 5. That was annoying, only quest I didn't finish, though I'm sure there are some hidden ones I don't know about.

I'm dying.

This was a helluva read. Hahaha.

f3Dhuhq.gif

"Kiseki" is japanese for "cliffhanger".

And CS1's is especially rough.

:p

Finally, the ending! Well, this game hasn't been about much, but it makes sense that it ends with Class VII coming together to literally "perform" for everyone. Thematically this all makes sense. I'm really surprised the concert was so cheap though. They couldn't even afford real vocals? What's going on Falcom? And why is this song so famous that everyone is singing along. Am I missing about Crossbell saga reference?! Whatever... FINAL DATE time. Uguutastic~ Towa-sempai pls uguu with me!

The concert is seriously my biggest disappointment with the game. I want to hear the Jusis-Machias duet, and the last song should be "Whereabouts of Light" goshdarnit!

This should be illegal...

You have the nerve of saying this even though the sequel is already around? HMPH

zakujanai

Currently in another FC replay (since CS2 is still over a month out for me) and I noticed something in one of the books. Has anyone confirmed whether the bird
with Vita
is an Erbe woodpecker?

Sorry for such a boring question but I'm curious and it may have significance
ie since they're extinct does this mean Vita is very old?

Obviously I realise this all may be covered in CS2 but somehow I doubt it.

Psxphile

I was about to say you might be reaching and trying to make connections where they were none, but I went and re-read the entry on the Wikia and its description of the bird is suspect.

However,
much like how Celine resembles a cat but is actually a familiar, so to might Grianos merely just look like a bird that went extinct.

duckroll

I was about to say you might be reaching and trying to make connections where they were none, but I went and re-read the entry on the Wikia and its description of the bird is suspect.

However,
much like how Celine resembles a cat but is actually a familiar, so to might Grianos merely just look like a bird that went extinct.

"In an interesting light, traditional songs sung by knights of times past make frequent mention of these birds as being a common sight."

Knights of time past.... like... knights of legends.... maybe great knights in the past... from Erebonia?

zakujanai

However,

Still not clear on the nature of Celine since I've not played CS2 but even with this in mind it suggests the bird has been around a long time.

The Erbe Scenic Route is a long way from Erebonia, is all I'm saying.

Not really, Liberl is a small nation.

"In an interesting light, traditional songs sung by knights of times past make frequent mention of these birds as being a common sight."

Knights of time past.... like... knights of legends.... maybe great knights in the past... from Erebonia?

This was what I was thinking too. The book doesn't give any dates so I don't know exactly when these birds ceased a common sight but it's clear that were for a long time up to their extinction. It's the use of the word azure that got me, crops up all over and is always significant.

Nyoro SF

Okay, the mispronunciation of marquis is getting me. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not pronounced Marqwiss, right?

According to the English dictionary you can pronounce it either Mar-kwiss or Mar-kee.

I know I was confused as well because I have always pronounced it Mar-kee.

According to the English dictionary you can pronounce it either Mar-kwiss or Mar-kee.

I know I was confused as well because I have always pronounced it Mar-kee.

Really? Same, I've only heard it pronounced Mar-kee. It's going to take some time to get used to that.

Currently in the final chapter, just finished the first day. I started this game way back in March so I'm glad to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
My life is getting less and less compatible with huge rpgs but I love'em so much!

Kinda surprised by the amount of typos since I don't recall seeing nearly as many in FC and SC, just had a scene with Alisha that had 3 in only a handful of lines.
I guess it's easy for stuff to slip through the cracks in such a gigantic script.

zakujanai

Really? Same, I've only heard it pronounced Mar-kee. It's going to take some time to get used to that.

That's that correct pronunciation of the word in French. It's a loan word in English but it is pronounced Markwiss here. A far worse English loan word in my opinion is lieutenant. Pronounced "lef-tenant" in England and "loo-tenant" in America (slightly closer to the correct French pronunciation).

Basically, English people didn't bother learning how to correctly pronounce French worse before they stole them.

Edit; just thought of another that never seems to bother people, nobody is worried about pronouncing Colonel as "Ker-nel".

Edit 2: Meant to add this originally. If you ask for a "Mar-kee" in England you just get a big tent (marquee).

duckroll

Kinda surprised by the amount of typos since I don't recall seeing nearly as many in FC and SC, just had a scene with Alisha that had 3 in only a handful of lines.
I guess it's easy for stuff to slip through the cracks in such a gigantic script.

That's nothing. In CS2 I spotted a typo in one of the early tutorial messages. Lol.

That's nothing. In CS2 I spotted a typo in one of the early tutorial messages. Lol.

Oh well, let's not be too hard on them, I have nothing but love for the guys and gals responsible for localizing these games.

Anyway, I'm about to start the
concert
, how many hours left until the credits role?

Eusis

Part of the problem probably is that this is one of those that the original developers have to handle versus a developer who can more readily tweak things as necessary. They'd probably have gotten most if not all those typos fixed within the last year if it were an option, but it isn't so what we got is what we got.

So the very last fight actually made me use the weaken enemies and retry option for the first time.
It's late and I've been playing this game for 7 months so I just wanted to get it over with.
Maybe I was missing something but I just couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, the last couple of hours was insane, good stuff.

Cliffhanger is almost as bad as FC's lol.

Gu4n

Part of the problem probably is that this is one of those that the original developers have to handle versus a developer who can more readily tweak things as necessary. They'd probably have gotten most if not all those typos fixed within the last year if it were an option, but it isn't so what we got is what we got.
What Eusis says. XSEED has to play everything through Falcom whereas they can update the Steam version themselves as much as they like. You see the same thing with both versions of SC: the PSP version's translation was dated by the time the game came out since it had to go through first Falcom and then Sony's regulations.

Limality

Banned
I've had this gem of a JRPG lying around since it came out. It has totally consumed me and I'm now in chapter 4. Great thing is: by the time I finish this, I'll have CS2 ready :D

The really great thing about CS is the constant change between Dungeon Crawling/School Life Sim, much like Persona 4. The story gets pushed at a good rate and one doesn't feel too constrained...they struck a really good balance here, nearly perfect up to now.

khaaan

I'm at the end boss of chapter 6 and for the life of me I can't defeat it. Specifically the second half, can I get some help please?

Enemy + character spoilers, all my characters are at level 60:

I can get through the first fight reasonably well though I did have to resort to a few of my more potent healing items. It's the second fight that's giving me trouble, particularly the two things that get summoned. Individually none of them feel like a huge threat but when they get successive turns going is when things start to get complicated. Initially I started off okay but then the main boss used an attack that basically wiped out three characters. At that point I was already getting a little overwhelmed in trying to cancel out enemy arts and take care of the spikes that the boss throws.

Right now I have Rean + Angelica on the offensive, Elliot on healing and Machias acting as support in both roles. I tend to keep everyone fairly close by so Elliot can pop off a Resounding beat every 4 turns. The walkthrough I checked encouraged Adamantine shield but isn't that really heavy and costly to keep up? From my understanding it only eats one attack too so I'm hesitant because I don't want to cast it only to have it used up by something that would otherwise be a scratch. One strategy I was thinking would be to pop off all my S-Crafts. It wouldn't get the boss but it would probably finish off one add and almost finish off the other.

Psxphile

I think the main issue is you trying to keep everyone together when a more effective strategy is to spread them apart in order to avoid getting AoE'd to death. This makes things harder healing-wise but that's what items and food is for. Consider bringing in Fie, equipping her with anything that will boost Evade and having her take point on the main threat while the rest of your troop handle the help while occasionally popping off an S-Break (especially when Critical turns come around for maximum damage) or to clear away the rabble. Having Fie there will (hopefully) draw the main boss's attention from the others and her high evade will keep her (mostly) safe while you have your way with the others.

Also consider that your guest character has a Craft that can inflict Faint @ 90% and the main baddie has some vulnerability to that: if you can Faint him you can really do some damage while he loses a turn.

Diablos54

So i'm replaying this before i start CS2, and did a nightmare NG+ run, but i was wondering, does it ever actually get difficult? I'm in chapter 5 now and it's been a cakewalk so far.

Psxphile

So i'm replaying this before i start CS2, and did a nightmare NG+ run, but i was wondering, does it ever actually get difficult? I'm in chapter 5 now and it's been a cakewalk so far.

Not really. Some of the Chapter 5 bosses might last more than two turns but enemies will start becoming more of a (mild) challenge in Chapter 6 and beyond.

You should be carefull around the CHap castle boss fight and the Chapter 6 final fight.
And the last dongeon ennemies can still kill you if you're not carefull.

Other than that , the last 2 bosses need caution but that's it.

khaaan

I think the main issue is you trying to keep everyone together when a more effective strategy is to spread them apart in order to avoid getting AoE'd to death. This makes things harder healing-wise but that's what items and food is for. Consider bringing in Fie, equipping her with anything that will boost Evade and having her take point on the main threat while the rest of your troop handle the help while occasionally popping off an S-Break (especially when Critical turns come around for maximum damage) or to clear away the rabble. Having Fie there will (hopefully) draw the main boss's attention from the others and her high evade will keep her (mostly) safe while you have your way with the others.

Also consider that your guest character has a Craft that can inflict Faint @ 90% and the main baddie has some vulnerability to that: if you can Faint him you can really do some damage while he loses a turn.

Thanks, I managed to beat it a couple nights ago.

I think I was blessed by RNG a lot because there always seemed to be at least one person who would evade successfully. I was able to take down the adds pretty quickly take down the two side enemies, after that focusing on the main boss was easy. I found success in keeping my healer on the opposite side of the map while everyone else wailed on the enemies. Now I just have to finish up the final chapter and then after that probably take a good sized break...a 60+ hour JRPG really burns you out ;_;

I hope the final chapter isn't too big in terms of dungeon length.

Reset

Just beat the game, and the game didn't really pick up/get interesting until the final chapter... It's probably the slowest RPG I've played. Weird thing is despite this I feel the urge to buy the sequel now because off the cliff hanger haha
But I'll probably wait till the summer since I don't really want to get burn out, oh and I feel dumb for not figuring out the who the mask guy was since now it seems pretty obvious. :[

danthefan

Just bought this in the sale... Is there much miss-able content? Is there any way I can completely screw things up? Anything in general to know going in?

Reset

Just bought this in the sale... Is there much miss-able content? Is there any way I can completely screw things up? Anything in general to know going in?

Yeah, there are missable stuff. If you don't get items on a certain day then you will most likely miss the ultimate weapons, and some quests are hidden.

Vic_Viper

Thinking about picking this up to have something to play on my Vita while wating for Persona 5.

How far into the campaign is it before you get the
Mech
? Is it pretty much right at the end, or do you get some time to mess with it?

Psxphile

Thinking about picking this up to have something to play on my Vita while wating for Persona 5.

How far into the campaign is it before you get the
Mech
? Is it pretty much right at the end, or do you get some time to mess with it?

pretty much, and no you don't

that being said, it's a pretty amazing sequence of events all the same

Top Bottom