• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Haines

Banned
HDR increases the color depth, so you're wrong about that. I have no idea what you mean about Netflix; they have incredibly high production value in their original content.

Hah, now that you mention it I did some Googling and you're right! Daredevil and Jessica Jones (the other show I tried) aren't in HDR yet! That actually makes me feel better, because I was feeling underwhelmed. I'll check out Marco Polo tonight.

Ok, well i read otherwise about netflix being awesome with the quality of 4k/hdr you will get. I will do some googling bc maybe the person was just wrong.

I didnt realize hdr helped with colors as well. I thought WCG was for that. Learned something new.

Hah, now that you mention it I did some Googling and you're right! Daredevil and Jessica Jones (the other show I tried) aren't in HDR yet! That actually makes me feel better, because I was feeling underwhelmed. I'll check out Marco Polo tonight.

Well, I just checked Netflix and apparently at some point in the last couple of weeks they did add HDR to Daredevil. Can't find any news about it online, so I'm guessing not many people have noticed. No clue when it happened, but I just checked it maybe a month ago and it still wasn't in HDR.

Also, apparently I was wrong, there is no pop-up notification when I use the built in Netflix app. Kind of weird.

Haines

Banned
Well, I just checked Netflix and apparently at some point in the last couple of weeks they did add HDR to Daredevil. Can't find any news about it online, so I'm guessing not many people have noticed. No clue when it happened, but I just checked it maybe a month ago and it still wasn't in HDR.

Also, apparently I was wrong, there is no pop-up notification when I use the built in Netflix app. Kind of weird.

Second person ive seen mention using the tv built in netflix app instead of the one on console.

Is there any reason for that? Ive never bothered,

It's all a mess! Are you definitely seeing HDR, as far as you can tell? I'm also going to try some HDR Amazon Prime content this evening to see if I get a popup.

Second person ive seen mention using the tv built in netflix app instead of the one on console.

I don't use a console, so I'm thankful there's a built-in app with 4K/HDR compatibility. My primary use for the TV is as a PC monitor.

Yopis

I turned on UC4. Used photo mode and tried variety of settings. Also it lets you turn hdr on in menu of game. Made sure to turn on other required settings in game mode. Got notification playing hdr on tv.

Worked great. Some scenes O preferred dynamic resolution others looked better without. Same for HDMI black level some better normal some low. On auto it was on low by itself.

Gonna tinker.

Symphonia

Banned

Because the PS4 app doesn't support 4K/HDR content as of yet, whereas smart apps bundled with 4K do. It makes more sense to use the app that allows 4K.

Haines

Banned
Because the PS4 app doesn't support 4K/HDR content as of yet, whereas smart apps bundled with 4K do. It makes more sense to use the app that allows 4K.

Ok didnt know this. Just subbed to 4k Netflix this morn. Hopefully they update the app on ps.

Symphonia

Banned
Ok didnt know this. Just subbed to 4k Netflix this morn. Hopefully they update the app on ps.
I believe it was announced at the conference that the Netflix app will be updated to support 4K/HDR, it's just a matter of when this will be, as no date was given.

Hjod

Banned
I just got my tv today, mounted it on the wall. I have a 65" KS8000 (EU). It looks great. Gonna tinker some with the settings :).

The only HDR content I can watch is netflix, but I have no idea if HDR is on ot not when using the app on the TVs OS haha. If the content is under the UHD/4K tab I'm guessing it's HDR. I'm going to check out Daredevil and see if something happens.

So if HDR is available the TV should show me a pop-up and change the sharpness, brightness if I choose to use HDR or do I need to change that myself? Would be kinda bad if I need to change the settings everytime I switch between non-HDR content and HDR content.

Edit: So I turned on Marco Polo and HDR activates there but not on Daredevil lol. I'm using the built in app.

Sorry for the long text peeps.

Don't use dynamic contrast. It's just processing away details. If your set its calibrated correctly (just use the rtings settings lol) you don't need this. Trust the people who mastered the content over your TV's auto processing!.
I'm reading this but my eyes tell me differently. The lights are off in my room but dynamic contrast off results in a very dim image, even with backlight set to 20 and contrast all the way up. Playing Gears 4 if it makes any difference.

Heck I don't even know if HDR is working all that well here. It's on but I don't know, don't really see a big difference.

\
Edit: So I turned on Marco Polo and HDR activates there but not on Daredevil lol. I'm using the built in app.

Sorry for the long text peeps.

So you DID get a popup when watching Marco Polo? I can't get it to work for the life of me. You're using the TV app?

Also I thiiink only season 2 of Daredevil is HDR. But again, mine isn't working as far as I can tell.

Tabs

I just got mine Saturday, and from everything I've read, the HDR label only pops up on external inputs, not the built in TV apps. But if it picks up HDR on the apps, it will max your backlight. I can confirm that is happening with Marco Polo and not Daredevil. Again, a little reading shows that all other HDR Netflix shows only support Dolby Vision right now, not HDR10. So we're all out of luck on that front unless Netflix adds HDR10 to the other shows or Samsung can update the TV to support Dolby Vision :/

So you DID get a popup when watching Marco Polo? I can't get it to work for the life of me. You're using the TV app?

Also I thiiink only season 2 of Daredevil is HDR. But again, mine isn't working as far as I can tell.

It's both seasons of DD. Tried them both this morning, and Marco Polo, none gave the pop up, all seemed to be working, though.

Ah ok, I see that if I turn my backlight down it jumps up to 20 when Marco Polo hits 2160p. I was watching HDR after all, I guess it just wasn't blowing me away.

Daredevil says HDR right under the title in the Netflix app. It would seem crazy to say that on Samsung TVs if the show wasn't HDR on said displays.

Bloodsent

Is it normal to leave the backlight at 20 in HDR mode? I know you are supposed to put it to that for gaming, but what about HDR movie/tv watching?

Haines

Banned
I could be wrong I don't have my tv yet.

I think someone on this thread said it should do the backlight automatically in those modes.

We just have to switch it in game mode bc a firmware glitch.

I just woke up. It's somewhere in the thread.

hookurs

Did we all agree on a communal gaming standard for settings, or are we just using rtings' settings? It'd be super swell if the OP had an agreed upon settings recommendations! One stop shop, instead of having to peruse these last 5 pages.

I actually used the settings on the AVS forums first post, but I'd like to know what all you guys are using.

Also are we using the soap opera effect for our PS4 input? What's it called? lol. I don't have it switched on for my TV input, but I can see it being helpful with the video gaming input? Keeping things all smooth-like .. but of course if you're using Netflix on the PS4 Pro then you'll wan to turn it off. I had it on for my PS3/PS4 on my last 240Hz Samsung TV there.

And is every HDMI input (65" KS8000) HDMC 2.2? No need to worry about picking the right port right?

Haines

Banned
I believe you can use any input.

Settings are very personal based on preference and every panel is different and lighting in every room is different etc.

I would suggest trying different settings and tinkering. Personally I would peruse all 5 pages and use my WOW disc and find what looks best to me over an afternoon.

I wouldn't touch the soap opera effect with a 10ft pole.

If you guys have a settings we can agree on is the best standard I can update the OP with anything you'd like.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Did we all agree on a communal gaming standard for settings, or are we just using rtings' settings? It'd be super swell if the OP had an agreed upon settings recommendations! One stop shop, instead of having to peruse these last 5 pages.

I actually used the settings on the AVS forums first post, but I'd like to know what all you guys are using.

Also are we using the soap opera effect for our PS4 input? What's it called? lol. I don't have it switched on for my TV input, but I can see it being helpful with the video gaming input? Keeping things all smooth-like .. but of course if you're using Netflix on the PS4 Pro then you'll wan to turn it off. I had it on for my PS3/PS4 on my last 240Hz Samsung TV there.

And is every HDMI input (65" KS8000) HDMC 2.2? No need to worry about picking the right port right?

Never ever use the soap effect for gaming. Ever.

D23

Dynamic Contrast: This applies special post-processing to increase contrast of the image. This behaves very differently when receiving SDR vs. HDR content. For SDR content, it is recommended that you set this to Off or Low, as higher values will cause loss of definition in dark/bright areas. For HDR content, Dynamic Contrast will make the image brighter. For HDR, recommend values are Low or Medium; Off will likely make the image too dark, while High may make the image too bright.

Straight from the official KS8000 owners thread from avsforum
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-owners-thread.html#/topics/2387466?_k=vaaqbw

maximrace

Again this is preference from an owner. Try switching between DC on and off. Although it is brighter with DC on you'll lose a lot of range. So what's the point in getting an expensive hdr tv if you won't use the higher range then? I thought the same thing too but after using DC off for a while you don't notice the dimmer picture anymore and you get the benefit of a bigger range.

hookurs

Ok, no soap opera effect, gotcha.

We're all reading different thoughts from different websites, so a standard recommendation for all of our PS4(P)s HDMI input for the KS8000 would be nice. But with what you said above, a lot of these settings are preference based aren't they? So it could be senseless.. just follow the AVS or rtings examples I suppose.

I'm just worried about having crushed blacks and not knowing what to do, when I finally sit down tomorrow night and read this thread.

Here's another question.. what options need to be selected on the PS4 itself? RGB Full? .. can't remember the other options there ... etc ... will the PS4P take care of these settings itself when I finally get my mits on it Thursday?

hookurs

Like if you visit this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310135

you get questions like this, which makes me sweat:

"I got some explanations from members (that I thank by the way) in another thread: some said that 2160p - YUV 420 is the one to use while most fo them said that that 2160p - RGB.

That is when I got eally really really more confused now after watching the DigitalFoundry video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJH...ature=youtu.be
Richard Leadbetter said that 2160p YUV 420 is for old 4K TVs with HDMI 1.4 that don't support 60 HZ while 2160p RGB is for 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 that don't support HDR!!!

Which is the adequate setting to get the best of IQ with HDR if you have one of the latest TVs like the Samsung KS 8000/ 9000 for example? I really want to know what option should anyone choose with the latest TVs in order to get everything from 60 Hz, 4:4:4 Chroma and HDR on PS4 PRO.."

This is crazy, do we really need to worry about these details? I think the answer is the YUV 420 ?!

dcx4610

Thoughts on Smart LED? I'm can't stand it. I can visually see it dimming and brightening areas of the screen. It's very distracting. I have it set to low and it's a little better. Overall I like the TV but all of the auto dimming stuff with no way of turning it off drives me crazy.

Thoughts on Smart LED? I'm can't stand it. I can visually see it dimming and brightening areas of the screen. It's very distracting. I have it set to low and it's a little better. Overall I like the TV but all of the auto dimming stuff with no way of turning it off drives me crazy.

I can definitely see it being distracting in very stark contrast scenes, like in space or something, but I've found it's still worth keeping on High for the dark blacks and bright whites.

I'm coming from using a projector, where I didn't get dark blacks or brights.

Lucifon

I'm reading this but my eyes tell me differently. The lights are off in my room but dynamic contrast off results in a very dim image, even with backlight set to 20 and contrast all the way up. Playing Gears 4 if it makes any difference.

Heck I don't even know if HDR is working all that well here. It's on but I don't know, don't really see a big difference.

It's because it isn't. There's serious exaggerations thrown around about it, but from my own experience, and people I know and trust the opinions of, they all struggle to notice the difference in any astounding way. It basically adds greater colour detail to some elements. It also depends on the implementation and of course how a TV is set up.

When you do the game brightness calibration you should leave brightness at the default position and only modify the HDR brightness slider. Other than that I'm not sure, but Gears was super impressive to me. The end of Act 2/start of Act 3 especially. There were many moments in that game where I had to squint because it got very bright.

SeanR1221

Like if you visit this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310135

you get questions like this, which makes me sweat:

"I got some explanations from members (that I thank by the way) in another thread: some said that 2160p - YUV 420 is the one to use while most fo them said that that 2160p - RGB.

That is when I got eally really really more confused now after watching the DigitalFoundry video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJH...ature=youtu.be
Richard Leadbetter said that 2160p YUV 420 is for old 4K TVs with HDMI 1.4 that don't support 60 HZ while 2160p RGB is for 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 that don't support HDR!!!

Which is the adequate setting to get the best of IQ with HDR if you have one of the latest TVs like the Samsung KS 8000/ 9000 for example? I really want to know what option should anyone choose with the latest TVs in order to get everything from 60 Hz, 4:4:4 Chroma and HDR on PS4 PRO.."

This is crazy, do we really need to worry about these details? I think the answer is the YUV 420 ?!

I'm curious to know as well. Which 2160 should we select, and should we go for full or limited RGB.

hookurs

The first 5 pages of that thread are a cluster fuck of opinions. I love my KS8000, but if us ultra nerds can't figure this shit out, regulars will be up the creek.

I'm curious to know as well. Which 2160 should we select, and should we go for full or limited RGB.

They already posted this in another thread and very knowledgeable people answered them. Why did they create a new thread? (Oh you... Digital Foundry)

I thought we had made it clear I guess not.

RGB 2160p is better unfortunately the current HDMI spec cannot support the bandwidth needed to do full Chroma Subs ambling. Hence YUV 4:2:0 at 10 bit Richard is being misleading but he's not wrong. YUV color compression was created for a need to limit bandwidth on sources a long time ago using an algorithm that essentially does... Well I'll let someone else explain it in the video below.

https://youtu.be/7JYZDnenaGc

Is that not correct, because that's essentially what the person was told by numerous people before they made that thread.

Season 2 of Daredevil is broken. I've spoken to Netflix about it.

On my TV (an LG) the first season is in Dolby Vision through my TV's app. Season 2 was flagged as DV on the info page too - but would never switch into the locked DV mode on my TV.

I spoke to Netflix about it and they acknowledged there was an issue with the content. A few days after I spoke to them about it the DV tab disappeared from the info page on the show's Second Season. So it looks like they've not fixed the problem yet.

Haines

Banned
and you don't care about me OP :p

Please answer my question 5 post up

Im not good with that stuff, so i didnt want to lead you astray. There is a good buying 4k tv thread that might have smarter people.

They both do say ks8000 anyways. I just have no idea what sellers you can trust etc

JeffG

One thing I did on my TV (Not the ks8000) to check and see what/how HDR was doing was fiddling with the HDR brightness level in Forza H3

Watch the sky while you are adjusting it and you can see what is changing. Might give you an idea on how you want your settings.

I am at work, so I am not sure if the same thing can be done with gears. (ie...change game level hdr brightness while seeing the actual game screen)

Season 2 of Daredevil is broken. I've spoken to Netflix about it.

On my TV (an LG) the first season is in Dolby Vision through my TV's app. Season 2 was flagged as DV on the info page too - but would never switch into the locked DV mode on my TV.

I spoke to Netflix about it and they acknowledged there was an issue with the content. A few days after I spoke to them about it the DV tab disappeared from the info page on the show's Second Season. So it looks like they've not fixed the problem yet.

Ah, interesting. I assume Daredevil's HDR is also broken on Samsung TVs? It does still show the HDR tag.

Ah, interesting. I assume Daredevil's HDR is also broken on Samsung TVs? It does still show the HDR tag.

Just checked now on my LG - as I've not looked for a week. The show as a whole (which includes both seasons) is listed as Dolby Vision on my TV. But only Season 1 is in DV.

I don't know what's going on at Netflix - whether they will fix Season 2. But it seems the issue is with the content on the servers - not on any devices you might choose to watch the show on. Right now Season 2 is definitely not HDR/DV.

Head.spawn

How the hell do you change the remote so that it works with consoles? When I first got my KS, the remote worked perfectly with my Xbox One S as far as controlling all basic functions and navigating the OS/apps with no special set-up from me; then a few weeks ago it just stopped working. I'm not sure if it was a TV update or an Xbox update that changed it, because they both updated around the same time, might have even been the same exact day, even close to the same time.

How the hell do I get that working again?

It was a really convenient to control things when I couldn't use voice commands, didn't want to turn on a controller or loading up an app on my phone or PC. Sorely missed.

edit: nevermind, seems to be working again after the latest Xbox update from today or last night, so that answers that question.

Just checked now on my LG - as I've not looked for a week. The show as a whole (which includes both seasons) is listed as Dolby Vision on my TV. But only Season 1 is in DV.

I don't know what's going on at Netflix - whether they will fix Season 2. But it seems the issue is with the content on the servers - not on any devices you might choose to watch the show on. Right now Season 2 is definitely not HDR/DV.

That's really unfortunate. There is some really great contrast in the show that I'd really like to see with HDR working. And then Luke Cage launched with no HDR! Get your shit together Netflix.

Top Bottom