• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime: Microsoft rejected Tequila Works’ game before it became PS4 exclusive

VG Leaks has posted documents that appear to have come from Microsoft’s XBLA submission process. The game was initially called Echoes of Siren and was pitched as an Xbox 360, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 7 release. Tequila Works stated that it needed $3 million in partial funding to bring the game to Xbox Live alone, then a further $40,000 for Windows 8.

The game was listed on the document as ‘fully exclusive’ on Xbox formats, and at the time only needed 24 more months before completion. In its pitching form; Tequila Works describes Rime as a, third-person isometric RPG with a “great deal of exploration, crafting, survival and hero defence.” The studio also compared it to Orcs Must Die!

The elevator pitch reads, “Gauntlet meets Minecraft meets Jason and the Argonauts,” and continues, “As the darkest legends go, there is a far-off island where evil spirits inhabit and they are able to terrify the most determined and brave heart. It is now as Ecos; the damned island.

“Not always it was this. At another time a great civilization was developed in it. Their inhabitants bloomed until becoming a lighthouse in the dark. History became legend. Legend became myth. Many looked for the island and its secrets. Now, their bones and empty fortresses remain as a reminder of their imprudence.”

5a-600x638.jpg

5b-600x348.jpg

VG247 via VGLeaks

Update:
This was already confirmed by the Tequila Works CEO in this interview:
http://deusexmachina.es/entrevista-raul-rubio-ceo-y-director-creativo-de-tequila-works/ (in spanish)
From the interview i posted before:
[...]Then the Xbox One plans were announced and everything changed. The people at Microsoft say that the game doesn't fit in the strategy of the new console, that they are looking for "connected experiences" and the social factor. Rime didn't fit because it was a single-player game, a very traditional game experience. [...]

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If this game ends up half as good as it looks, MS will have really missed out. Funny thing is this game would would entice me to get an XB1 far more than Titanfall

Jigolo

Well we really don't know much about it or how good it will be. Sony just like to take more chances then MS.

SJRB

Gold Member
Massive error in judgement on Microsoft's end. But as a PS4 player I'm glad they rejected it and Sony picked it up. Looks pretty amazing.

Cornbread78

Obviously too artsy for MS.. Who knows how the final producr will come out though..

When will we see more of the game anyhow...

Well we really don't know much about it or how good it will be. Sony just like to take more chances then MS.

You never really know that beforehand. But a good pitch at least deserves a chance. So many games wouldn't have been made if not somebody would have taken a risk at some point.

Grimløck;101431736 said:
who can we thank at sony for securing Rime? shu, boyes, shahid?

Shu, Denny... and Smith, I guess.

XDev, although their role is collaboration with 3rd-party is under the WWS umbrella.

Kifimbo

Maybe Microsoft wasn't satisfied by Deadlight quality and/or sales and didn't believe in Tequila Works anymore. Jury is still out.

Sorc3r3r

What's more interesting is the vision and the goals that TW has for Rime!

I wasnt aware of all the stuff they want to do with this game.
Seems great!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I was hoping for an atmospheric action/adventure game, but the description sounds like a bunch of crafting bullshit and aimless survival. I know those are very popular elements, but they aren't for me. :(

keit4

Banned
From the interview i posted before:

[...]Then the Xbox One plans were announced and everything changed. The people at Microsoft say that the game doesn't fit in the strategy of the new console, that they are looking for "connected experiences" and the social factor. Rime didn't fit because it was a single-player game, a very traditional game experience. [...]

RE_Player

This reminds of when Microsoft rejected Heavy Rain because they didn't like the child kidnapping aspect. Sony's been taking a lot of risks and for the most part I feel like Microsoft is playing it safe when it comes to which games they back.

Jigolo

You never really know that beforehand. But a good pitch at least deserves a chance. So many games wouldn't have been made if not somebody would have taken a risk at some point.
But its kind of like you posted, this game seems so unique and different kind of like Flower or Journey for example. I don't think I can name one game that's "out there" like these games I just mentioned on the Xbox platform. And yeah the game might end up being shit and bombing in sales, but there really is only one way to find out. By actually getting it out to the public

Paz

Based on what we've heard/seen, I'm kind of doubting that the Rime that exists today is the same as what is being pitched here, it probably just evolved from that though. Also, I probably would have said no to someone pitching "Popular game A meets high selling game B meets famous thing C" so I can understand Microsoft here.

It turned out to be a really interesting looking game though, keen to see where it goes when we see more.

Lucifon

Imagine the amount of games which Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo don't go for, which then end up going to the other platform. This is nothing surprising, or negative towards Microsoft. They all do it.

Bungie

If it's able to run on Windows phones then I most likely wouldn't have played it anyways & where's the Xbox One in all of this?

If MS did fund this, I wouldn't have went back to my 360, Fable Anniversary was my goodbye to it.

Top Bottom