• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

Teknoman said:
I can understand complaints about lack of certain modes or characters, but not being able to delete your save in a game of this type isnt that big of a deal.

Its a very strange way to fight used game sales (unless they have some other reason) for sure, but it doesnt seem like it'll have an effect on people who will want to keep the game anyway.

Unless the data for the save is on the SD card?

I checked, and it's not on the SD card.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think I already regret my purchase....

If I sell off the "numbered and limited" case from the Capcom store that comes with the game it may offset the cost enough that I don't care.
That's if anyone cares about that to buy it.

bearcatjosh said:
And no word of how to delete saves in the manual?
There is word.

IMG_20110624_155703.jpg

Unfortunately, that word is it cannot be done.

beje

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
There is word.

[/IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/FallenOne666/IMG_20110624_155703.jpg[/IMG]

gsGJj.jpg

Waiting for 15€ or lower price tag

Vyse The Legend said:
There is word.

Well...thanks for sharing. If Capcom doesn't want the game to be re-sold, it should be a $20-25 download. This just seems slimy. Are there at least multiple save slots?

I bet I already know the answer to that one...

Mafro

Couldn't care less about not being able to delete my save. It's almost as if some folk on here find the silliest excuses to not buy a game they probably weren't going to buy in the first place.

bearcatjosh said:
Well...thanks for sharing. If Capcom doesn't want the game to be re-sold, it should be a $20-25 download. This just seems slimy. Are there at least multiple save slots?

I bet I already know the answer to that one...

You know the answer.

In other news, the game is actually really fun. Perfect for pick-up and play. Plus, the RPG elements, combined with my "gotta level up everything" OCD, will ensure I play this religiously.

Effect

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this. I doubt I'd plan on reselling the game but still. I do like restarting over from a fresh save now and then. Can you have more then one save slot at least? Some people share games with family or significant others. What is being saved? Unlocked stages or local scores and that's based on your initials right after the end of each stage?

Mafro

Vyse The Legend said:
You know the answer.

In other news, the game is actually really fun. Perfect for pick-up and play. Plus, the RPG elements, combined with my "gotta level up everything" OCD, will ensure I play this religiously.
Give us some info on the Revelations demo. Is it the same controls as Mercs?

beje

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Because of the inability to delete a save? I'm confused by some of the reactions in here.

Though maybe, it's just a "last nail in the coffin" sort of thing?

Well, it's more the inability to replay from scratch and also being stuck with a game I can't trade because nobody will want it.

Effect said:
Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this. I doubt I'd plan on reselling the game but still. I do like restarting over from a fresh save now and then. Can you have more then one save slot at least? Some people share games with family or significant others. What is being saved? Unlocked stages or local scores and that's based on your initials right after the end of each stage?

Mission progression (ranks, stages completed, mission select)
Skill progression (you can unlock skills and level them up)
Unlocked characters
Unlocked costumes
Unlocked load outs

Teknoman

beje said:
Well, it's more the inability to replay from scratch and also being stuck with a game I can't trade because nobody will want it.

Mercs doesnt seem like a game you would wanna replay from scratch anyway. Now if Revelations was this way, then i'd see a problem.

Capcom certainly love their DRM...

Couldn't you pull out the game card while it's saving though? That should corrupt the save and, unless Capcom are complete assholes, the game should just delete it and create a new one.

Teknoman

AndyMoogle said:

Couldn't you pull out the game card while it's saving though? That should corrupt the save and, unless Capcom are complete assholes, the game should just delete it and create a new one.

Wesker would just pop up the next time you turned on the game, "Poor performance indeed", and then your save would be restored.

Should have just released this at launch, would have been perfect :/

Lol at no delete saves, hmmmm I have played used/traded games that have no delete saves(super monkey ball 3D) but that's just stupid.

I might just try to trade Zelda Oot for it.
To the guy from New York that has it, if your done and want Zelda pm me :D

M3d10n

AndyMoogle said:

Very low chance. To prevent corruption in the exact scenario you're describing, many games use two save "pages". A new save is written over the oldest page, which then gets marked as the newest page. If you interrupt the saving process, the latest save data is untouched.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I hate to say this - I can't believe I'm saying this - but "I canceled my pre-order".

I don't want to buy a game designed never to be experienced again for a stupid-ass reason like "USED GAMES IZ PIRACY".

Think about this. Say that RE:M3D becomes a launch classic for the 3DS. There's only so many copies in circulation. Eventually nobody will *ever* be able to enjoy the game for the first time, because every copy... will have been played through.

I might say "Well, that's idiotic and sad, but it won't affect me with a fresh copy". True. But I actually have friends and family. I can't ever let anyone else play it, gift it to someone when I'm finished, etc.

I might get a copy when it's in the (NEW! HA HA!) bargain bin.

beje

Banned
Kaijima said:
I hate to say this - I can't believe I'm saying this - but "I canceled my pre-order".

I don't want to buy a game designed never to be experienced again for a stupid-ass reason like "USED GAMES IZ PIRACY".

Think about this. Say that RE:M3D becomes a launch classic for the 3DS. There's only so many copies in circulation. Eventually nobody will *ever* be able to enjoy the game for the first time, because every copy... will have been played through.

I might say "Well, that's idiotic and sad, but it won't affect me with a fresh copy". True. But I actually have friends and family. I can't ever let anyone else play it, gift it to someone when I'm finished, etc.

I might get a copy when it's in the (NEW! HA HA!) bargain bin.

Exactly this, you explained it with better words.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Thank you based Amazon customer service! I was able to get the $20 credit from pre-ordering OoT3D applied to Mercenaries. That credit was supposed to only be used with certain games, but they were nice enough to be lenient on it. $20 was a much more appealing price.

I can't wait until Tuesday.

EDIT: The undeletable saved file does suck, but I think I can manage with this type of game. I can understand the general disapproval though.

Effect

Gotta say I canceled mine as well (Amazon.com). It doesn't make any sense why one can not delete their save and start over. People do like to replay games and unlocking different things is part of the game. They are pretty much denying people the ability to do that. For a full priced game that is unacceptable the more I think about it. I tend to play games, leave them and then go back some time later. Usually when I do I like to start fresh. I guess I'll pick up something else like Samurai Warriors Chronicles or Dead or Alive in it's place. I am annoyed that this isn't in the description because this is an anomaly and not standard practice.

Teknoman

MasterShotgun said:
: The undeletable saved file does suck, but I think I can manage with this type of game. I can understand the general disapproval though.

Same here. Its a score attack game with different unlocks and upgrades, so i'm not sure why you would want to start over after upgrading everything...but it would suck if you couldnt do this on more story oriented games.

Are there any other DS games with saves that work this way?

Kai Dracon

Actually, permanent save file totally fucks one aspect: the score attack itself. Never being able to reset scoreboards, combined with lack of online leaderboards, means nobody else can play the game even with fully upgraded characters, just for the gameplay itself.

Clunker

This "no deleting the save file" is the craziest shit I have heard in ages. :/ I don't know that it bugs me personally, but I do think I will seriously be reconsidering my original plan to get this off of Goozex.

Kai Dracon

dallow_bg said:
You can delete it in SFIV right?
No way they'd do this with Revelations...

You can initialize data in SFIV yeah, so another player can have their own identity and battle points online.

Thing is, SFIV isn't the type of game with leveling up progression, unlockables (in the 3DS version) and so forth.

I think they took the chance to do this with Mercenaries since it's an arcade score attack game. Permanently "ruining" the unlockables, leveling up, and in-game score record for any subsequent players who re-bought a used copy must have seemed like the "perfect!" way to gut used sales.

Now, when anybody trades the game in, it will permanently be played out. Characters unlocked, perks earned and upgraded, ranking scores for missions and levels set by the original owner.

That's what it comes down to. They tried to find a way to attach the game permanently to one buyer, and get rid of a lot of its novelty and value to potential subsequent owners.

beje

Banned
MoxManiac said:
OMG you guys rage over the silliest things

So, you're being handed a literally disposable game and it's "the silliest thing"? Wow, here, take this lube, I'm sure you will love it...

What's next? Single player games you can only play once? Please, remind me to get a new hobby when that happens...

Wait, so you cannot delete saves at all.. so how many save slots are there? WTF happens when you finish the game? :/ Ridiculous.

SmithnCo

dallow_bg said:
No way they'd do this with Revelations...

They'd be completely crucified if they did that, the only reason they can get away with it here is because this is basically a score attack game.

While this probably won't affect a lot of players it's understandable why people are upset. I wonder if eventually someone will find a workaround, like turning off the power while saving as someone suggested.

Teknoman

Phonomezer said:
Wait, so you cannot delete saves at all.. so how many save slots are there? WTF happens when you finish the game? :/ Ridiculous.

You get to replay missions with powered up characters?

Its not really disposable because alot of people still buy games like Mario Kart DS and dont start a new save.

Strange decision yes. Game breaking with a game like this...I dont think so.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Hell, most people who want to replay a Pokemon game will just buy the other version. Unless of course they don't care about keeping everything they worked for.

Teknoman said:
You get to replay missions with powered up characters?

Its not really disposable because alot of people still buy games like Mario Kart DS and dont start a new save.

Strange decision yes. Game breaking with a game like this...I dont think so.

^Exactly.

If this were a game with a real, single-player story mode, I'd understand the rage.

Sqorgar

Banned
That's really going to mess with people who want to challenge themselves with atypical playthroughs, like winning without upgrades.

Street Fighter Turbo Revival didn't let you erase it's save 10 years ago and no one bothered. Boycotting a game coz of this is the craziest thing I ever did hear.

heringer

Vyse The Legend said:
^Exactly.

If this were a game with a real, single-player story mode, I'd understand the rage.
Even so, it's a huge problem. With everything unlocked you lose all the sense of progression and reward. You lose an incentive to keep going. Not to mention this will probably break a lot of the initial missions, since you can use the best weapons and power ups from the get go.

They should at the very least offer more save slots.

Lucentto

Banned
heringer said:
Even so, it's a huge problem. With everything unlocked you lose all the sense of progression and reward. You lose an incentive to keep going. Not to mention this will probably break a lot of the initial missions, since you can use the best weapons and power ups from the get go.

They should at the very least offer more save slots.
You can, you know. Play online.

Top Bottom