• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

As much as I like having a larger HDD and not having to swap games on a whim when I decide to play something that's not installed and I have no room for, I guess I will install one of my 1TB SSDs left over from my previous PC build (replaced with an m.2 in my new build).

A 2TB would be nice, but they are far too expensive still.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
With all the writes happening due to the record function, is an SSD really a good idea?

Even if you use your PS4 Pro on a daily basis and record tons of footage the wear of the SSD will take at least a decade for you to notice any significant loss of speed.

The wear level of SSDs is greatly exaggerated. I still have SSDs from 2009 tha work just fine.

Does the auto record function constantly write to the drive, and not just sit in memory dedicated to the OS?

Don't think they have enough RAM to have a 720p (and soon to be 1080p) clip sit in memory. Anyway, I would need a 2TB SSD, and not sure I would want to spend that kind of money. I could buy an Xbox One S for around that price.

FZW

You will be limited by money because SATA3 SSD can go over 4TB.
The boost you will get in install, loadtimes, etc will be a gamer changer with SSD + SATA3.

Edit - Fixed for accuracy.

Thats a pretty huge obstacle to overcome, think ill pass. Like a previous poster said wake me up when Sony comes with a more practical storage solution.

Anyone want to buy a 2014 PS4 in the UK? Just kidding I will keep it as a backup.

I was on the fence about PS4 Pro but not anymore after reading this.

c0de

Xb1 USB load times are faster right?

Why are people saying this without waiting for some data? Of course SSD's will finally get utilized, but HDD and SSHD won't see a difference?

Load times are abysmal right now with SATA 2 even for HDDs

SATA 2 offers more bandwidth than these drives support.

amdb00mer

This is good news. It will definitely help boost SSD drive performance and allow games to load faster. Installs will still be about the same for disc to HDD as i'm sure they are using the same blu-ray drive that is currently in the PS4. Even with SATA3 support the blu-ray drive can only read so fast. Digital downloads may see a small decrease in install time.

Why are people saying this without waiting for some data? Of course SSD's will finally get utilized, but HDD and SSHD won't see a difference?

Load times on USB aren't faster because USB3 is faster than SATAII, they're faster because you're not sharing time with the OS doing other things on the same disk.

Also, HDD/SSHD won't benefit greatly from SATAIII for a few reasons. Biggest reason, SSDs don't just beat out old spinners in raw throughput, their real benefit is in reading and writing small files. The very best HDD/SSHD simply cannot compete with even the worst SSD when it comes to handling small files are multiple requests for different files. There is no seek time on an SSD like there is for a spinning drive. While it's true that an SSD will saturate a SATAII link easily, it'll also be able to utilize more of the available bandwidth doing whatever is asked of it, a spinner won't.

ethomaz

Banned
From what I understood this claim come because the SATA controller chip used can be linked to USB3 lames but Sony can attach the chip to SATA controller too.

I mean... I read about this talk but nobody can provide evidencies it is using USB lames instead SATA or PCI-E lames.

Thats a pretty huge obstacle to overcome, think ill pass. Like a previous poster said wake me up when Sony comes with a more practical storage solution.
More practical storage solution?

What is more practical than upgrade an HDD (for storage) or SDD (for speeds)???

ethomaz

Banned
Because you have two separated sources to get data... internal HDD for cache/SO and external for gaming data... so it will be faster because you can read/write both at the same time.

SATA2 is faster than all HDD or SSHD... so it won't make difference at all for HDDs or SSHDs.

SSDs are faster than SATA2... so it will get the boost with SATA3.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Id get an SSD, but there is no way in hell I'd go balls to the wall with a high end one. A cheap brand like Corsair or Crucial should be amazing.

A Samsung (best of the best) would be better served in my PC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A bit lower end drives like Crucial or Sandisk will more gen suffice for a console and 1tb will be under $200 on BF/Cyber Monday.

What would be nice is if Sony could get External drives up and running so that people could get a smaller SSDs and transfer the games they are playing at the moment over to the SSD.

Bebpo

Banned
How easy is changing out the HDD? I did it with PS3 and it was easy, but never tried with ps4 because 500gb was enough. But for SSD I can see it worth changing out.

How easy is changing out the HDD? I did it with PS3 and it was easy, but never tried with ps4 because 500gb was enough. But for SSD I can see it worth changing out.

As easy as in PS3 I'd say - only weird part is why you need PS4 firmware on pendrive for the whole process?

Adam M

Hopefully it can reach 500-600 MB/s read speed which is good enough for a comfortable loading time in games. Of course people with PCIe based SSDs will still complaining but there are always malcontent people..

I wonder if the FireCuda is the only reliable product from Seagate. But what I like is, is that the FireCuda has a 5 year warranty to go along with it. If it can be had for $120 and be a reliable drive, then fuck yeah getting one.

I do wonder if they will be out before November 10th (PS4 Pro release date).

Top Bottom