• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie of the Battlefield new screens/video and release info

kay

Edit 2/21
619vcAdArQL._SS400_.jpg

51QDrG9dg6L._SS500_.jpg

val02.jpg

val03.jpg

val04.jpg

val05.jpg

val06.jpg

val07.jpg

val08.jpg

val09.jpg

val10.jpg

val11.jpg

val12.jpg

val13.jpg

val14.jpg

val15.jpg

val16.jpg

val17.jpg

val18.jpg

val19.jpg

val20.jpg

val21.jpg

val22.jpg

val23.jpg

val24.jpg

val25.jpg

val26.jpg

Release info:
Date: 24/4/2008
Price: 7,980 yen (standard edition), 9,980 yen (limited edition box)

Limited edition box set features:
Edelweiss tank
2201651968_eb56d432dd_o.jpg

Figure of Alicia
2200858847_ba77689a1c_o.jpg

World Guide book
2201651988_9353c308f4_o.jpg

Screens (click for bigger):

More at http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1213075_1124.html
I have uploaded the video to megaupload if someone wants it (click the picture).

duckroll

zoku88 said:
It would have been nice if they included an artbook or something..

They kinda did. The World Guide book is 32 pages, and should be the usual stuff with artwork and designs and stuff. Overall the LE looks pretty cheap. The figure looks pretty low grade, and the tank is a Motor Tank Collection, which makes 5 dollar 1/87 scale tank models. For 20 bucks more, the value definitely doesn't appear to be there.

kay

Yeah the things are cheap but at least there is one as some people go crazy for this stuff. It's better than the DMC4 anime though!

duckroll

The character designs are pretty hot. Since the game is due in April I'll probably pick it up. Previously I was considering passing because it was rumored for March and it was getting pretty crowded there.

zoku88

Ynos Yrros said:
The design doesn't make any sense. Some of the things they are wearing are completely impractical :/.
These are pretty practical compared to some other RPGs (anything Nomura touches.) Plus, skirts give you more freedom of movement... or something....yea....

But,yea. The designs seem fine. The last three people are obviously not foot soldiers (I think) so it makes sense that their uniforms wouldn't be good for combat. Look at some uniforms for generals from the 1700's or something.

el Diablo

Banned
As someone whose gaming preferences are usually filled by JP devs i need this, Yakuza 3, and WKS (the only JP games on the near horizon) like a fat kid needs cake.

Really interested in this game, between the artistic style and that the gameplay walkthrough video on the JP PSN store made it look alot like an action SRPG. If i'm not mistaken you have free reign to explore the battlefield fight but are limited by turn points.

zoku88 said:
These are pretty practical compared to some other RPGs (anything Nomura touches.) Plus, skirts give you more freedom of movement... or something....yea....

But,yea. The designs seem fine. The last three people are obviously not foot soldiers (I think) so it makes sense that their uniforms wouldn't be good for combat. Look at some uniforms for generals from the 1700's or something.
There's one component in your mind that should be tingling when you read my post and didn't.

I think that most if not all designs are explainable and make sense.

zoku88

Ynos Yrros said:
There's one component in your mind that should be tingling when you read my post and didn't.

I think that most if not all designs are explainable and make sense.
It's 6:30 AM here and I have yet to go to bed :-/ Can you explain what I missed? :lol

pretty good...if the story is decent I might pick this up. While I like the design, some of the settings look a bit bland. Hopefully they wont feel bland, or there will be some interesting environments

zoku88 said:
It's 6:30 AM here and I have yet to go to bed :-/ Can you explain what I missed? :lol
You missed people complaining because video game characters, that live in magic filled futuristic worlds where a blu ray disc can change into clown squirell, wear apprel that is just not practical. In short, I was being sarcastic ;).

The design of this game does look awesome in my opinion.

klee123

Knowing how much of a LE whore I am, I'll most likely get the LE for 2K yen extra over the regular edition. The figure looks pretty crappy tho.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Holy Crap, I love the character designs so much.

This along with Advance Wars: Days of Ruin are character designs that I just adore.

The lead, Alicia looks great, and the cast of villains are just awesome

Durante said:
I hope it's "when" and not "if".

Considering that this game doesn't fit the westernized image that Sega is trying to use, the chances that the game will not come out in the States are pretty darn high. At least the PS3 is region free so we can import it.

Hcoregamer00

Narcosis said:
That doesn't help people like me, who look at kanji and just see weird markings

A game like Valkyrie of the Battlefield will garner a large cult following (a la Sakura Taisen) if it will never get a USA release. That means I will give it 6 months until we see Translation guides and walkthroughs.

Even if the game doesn't get a domestic release, at least we have the option of playing the Japanese release

Hcoregamer00 said:
Considering that this game doesn't fit the westernized image that Sega is trying to use, the chances that the game will not come out in the States are pretty darn high. At least the PS3 is region free so we can import it.

It was listed for Fall in the last EGM.

besada

Banned
Day one purchase. I've been super-hyped about this game since the very first set of screens. Every time I see more, my desire expands.

Paracelsus

Hcoregamer00 said:
A game like Valkyrie of the Battlefield will garner a large cult following (a la Sakura Taisen) if it will never get a USA release. That means I will give it 6 months until we see Translation guides and walkthroughs.

I'd still prefer an USA release rather than a "huge cult following".

Not mentioning we'll have to see how huge will be this so-called "cult".

Defuser

Paracelsus said:

Is SRPG popular in Japan?

Hcoregamer00

Red Blaster said:
It was listed for Fall in the last EGM.

This is EGM we are talking about, it means nothing.

I want a press release to confirm USA release (although I am a bit happy).

Paracelsus said:

Same here, I would also prefer a USA release.

The question is whether Sega will release it because this game is a niche game.

dionysus

Yaldog
Hcoregamer00 said:
Same here, I would also prefer a USA release.

The question is whether Sega will release it because this game is a niche game.

Hopefully they will. There is almost no competition in this genre on next gen HD in the US. The only thing I can think of is Disgaeia (sp?).

On the flip side US ps3 owners haven't really been supporting anything that is not a shooter.

Pachael

Paracelsus said:
As long as it's called "Sakura Taisen" or "Super Robot Taisen" it has good chances to succeed.

The former's stock is almost gone, sadly :< The latter will do much better in the JP market. I think Sega might give Valkyrie a chance in the US market but as usual, dub and market poorly and have it bomb statewide, ensuring we'd never get a sequel. I hope this doesn't become the case, but it's Sega, so.

Hcoregamer00

dionysus said:
Hopefully they will. There is almost no competition in this genre on next gen HD in the US. The only thing I can think of is Disgaeia (sp?).

On the flip side US ps3 owners haven't really been supporting anything that is not a shooter.

Yeah, I am a little worried that the PS3 owners are buying more American games when I bought a PS3 for the Japanese ones. Hopefully it will change when Final Fantasy 13 is released in the States.

Pachael said:
The former's stock is almost gone, sadly :< The latter will do much better in the JP market. I think Sega might give Valkyrie a chance in the US market but as usual, dub and market poorly and have it bomb statewide, ensuring we'd never get a sequel. I hope this doesn't become the case, but it's Sega, so.

The blu ray disc holds 50 gigs(dual layered), Sega has doesn't have a reason to make the game single language.

Ramune

As many times as Sega dropped the ball on Sakura Taisen games being released outside Japan, I expect this one to experience the same fate. Thank goodness for region-free out the box on the PS3. Sony deserves kudos on that decision. The cast looks great, and have a very inspired look here and lord knows the PS3 could use a good SRPG in it's lineup. The stars need to align for a US/UK release though.

That last guy, can't help but think "Xanatos" from Gargolyes. :lol

Hcoregamer00

Ramune said:
As many times as Sega dropped the ball on Sakura Taisen games being released outside Japan, I expect this one to experience the same fate. Thank goodness for region-free out the box on the PS3. Sony deserves kudos on that decision. The cast looks great, and have a very inspired look here and lord knows the PS3 could use a good SRPG in it's lineup. The stars need to align for a US/UK release though.

That last guy, can't help but think "Xanatos" from Gargolyes. :lol

Well, as I mentioned earlier the game is "Niche" and "very Japanese"

That doesn't bode well, but I am hoping that maybe sega would grace us with a release.

Pachael

Hcoregamer00 said:
The blu ray disc holds 50 gigs(dual layered), Sega has doesn't have a reason to make the game single language.

Neither do they have the reason to make it dual language as it costs more and they'd want to see how the title fares before considering a US port. They took a while to even consider a Yakuza port and look how that turned out?

Hcoregamer00

Pachael said:
Neither do they have the reason to make it dual language as it costs more and they'd want to see how the title fares before considering a US port. They took a while to even consider a Yakuza port and look how that turned out?

No, I was not talking about dual language as in Japanese text along with english localization (a la Japanese releases for Gyakuten Saiban). I was talking about having dual language voice acting for the USA release.

A big difference.

Pachael said:

If a small company like Atlus is willing to do dual audio for their games, then nearly no company has an excuse not to, especially one as big as Sega.

Top Bottom