• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B says things about microtransactions

does he actually run a tumblr called "dude huge speaks"

like, is that a for real reality or am I having a nightmare from which I cannot wake

test_account

XP-39C²
People keep paying for microtransactions, so it is pretty clear that the market wants it. Personally i've never really been affected by microtransactions so far. I remember the thing about Dead Space 3 for example, but i didnt feel that it affected the game at all for me.

EDIT: I'm thinking about retail priced games then, not Free To Play game. Free To Play games are often designed a lot more around micro transactions.

Jawmuncher

Clifford Unchained.....
Just imagined a cross between Clifford the big red dog and Django.

Anyway he really does end it with what everyone has been saying for ages, we all vote with our dollars. And if the masses are all for micro transactions there isn't much we can do.

anaron

lorelaitelephonecpu5m.gif

GAMERG0D

If you’re currently raging about this on GAF, or on the IGN forums, or on Gamespot, guess what? You’re the vocal minority. Your average guy that buys just Madden and GTA every year doesn’t know, nor does he care. He has no problem throwing a few bucks more at a game because, hey, why not?

He mentions GAF first of all places, lol.

If you don’t like EA, don’t buy their games. If you don’t like their microtransactions, don’t spend money on them. It’s that simple.
Now my main issue here is, if it's a singleplayer game (as you all know, EA wants microtransactions in ALL their games) shouldn't all content be available to the player in the game rather than an online store? I'm sure when we buy a game we want the FULL experience available to us, not through DLC.

Glix

He doesn't address AT ALL the shady shit that has been done

He doesn't talk about games being released incomplete. He doesn't talk about Season Passes that don't pan out. He doesn't talk about content being removed from the game to act as DLC.

There is a reason that no one complains about The Walking Dead and having to pay for each episode.

We're not stupid Cliffy.

test_account

XP-39C²
Now my main issue here is, if it's a singleplayer game (as you all know, EA wants microtransactions in ALL their games) shouldn't it be available to the player in the game rather than an online store? I'm sure when we buy a game we want the FULL experience available to us, not through DLC.
Is there any recent examples for this for EA games? I can only think of stuff that servers as time savers, such as unlocking thing early. You dont pay for any content, you just pay to get access to the stuff earlier. Kinda like paying for a cheat code, in a way. Have there been any stuff where you pay for actual content regarding those micro transactions?

"If everyone bought their games used, there would be no more games."

Meditate on this Zen koan and you will achieve enlightenment.

Bgamer90

Banned
As I've said in a previous thread, I've only bought about $100 worth of DLC through out this whole gen. I've played/went through just as much content this gen as I have in previous gens before DLC existed (possibly even more content).

Overall, if I see DLC that I don't like, I just ignore it. If a game has too much DLC to the point in which the main game is really lacking in content then I just won't buy the game. Simple.

Don't get why some are acting like they are being forced into doing something.

Game budgets for AAA games have gone up a whole lot. It's either this, or have game be $80+; Pretty sure more would complain about the latter.

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Oh wow lol.

Dwingvatt

Banned
To produce a high quality game it takes tens of millions of dollars, and when you add in marketing that can get up to 100+ million. In the AAA console market you need to spend a ton of cash on television ads alone, never mind other marketing stunts, launch events, swag, and the hip marketing agency that costs a boatload in your attempts to “go viral” with something. Not only is the market more crowded than ever but your average consumer has many more entertainment options than ever before in the history of humanity. (Hell, when levels are loading in our games my wife and I read Twitter and Reddit.)

Sorry, that only applies if you want to produce games with Hollywood style budget. Platinum have already proven you don't need a huge team to produce with tens of millions of dollars to produce a quality game.

Bayonetta and Vanquish IMO trumps a lot of games that was developed using tens of millions of dollars.

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Oh snap lol

Is there any recent examples for this for EA games? I can only think of stuff that servers as time savers, such as unlocking thing early. You dont pay for any content, you just pay to get access to the stuff earlier. Kinda like paying for a cheat code, in a way. Have there been any stuff where you pay for actual content regarding those micro transactions?

If they went the DS3/ME3 route for those games, I'd be fine with it. Competitive multiplayer gets a bit tricky.

As far as I know I haven't seen any microtransactions that actually affect the content of the game. Let it stay that way.

LiK

People keep paying for microtransactions, so it is pretty clear that the market wants it. Personally i've never really been affected by microtransactions so far. I remember the thing about Dead Space 3 for example, but i didnt feel that it affected the game at all for me.

wait til you hear what the upcoming DLC is about.

CliffyB

Playah
Just because I don't have a job and I'm sleeping until noon every day doesn't mean I no longer care about my first love...video games.

And that brings me full circle to my main point. If you don’t like the games, or the sales techniques, don’t spend your money on them.

You vote with your dollars.
Absolutely.

But my problem is not with looking at the games industry as a profit making business. My problem is how these monetization schemes provide direct incentive to cut completed content from the core game to repackage later as DLC, or to add or extend in-game XP grinds and unlockables or resource gathering needs.

If a premium item exists solely to overcome frustration or shorten a grind, then I'd argue those grinds and frustrations shouldn't be in the game to begin with, and that they were probably put in the game or made more onerous purely to give premium content a reason to exist.

The last thing I want is more grinds, or NPCs telling me in-game to view the marketplace to buy exclusive missions. Its one thing to see ads everywhere I go in the physical world, but its another thing entirely when I'm getting propositioned to buy more stuff from game characters or menu items. Especially so if I've already paid the retail price for a game. Even moreso if I'm already being asked to pay Microsoft a tax to play the multiplayer elements of that same game that I already paid for.

It may be good for business but it doesn't seem positive for the game experiences themselves.

Top Bottom