• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Acerac

Banned
Yeah i do those but this isn't the "spider mount exclusive for herbalists LUL" people are flipping out over. This isn't what pushed Sky Golem from a 50k mount to a 200k mount.
The key is to find an excuse to be in the area anyways. I hadn't knocked out my Suramar quests since I had started the expansion late and I farmed tons over those first few days. You have to consider that a stack of roses would easily fetch 40k+ with Felwort being even more absurd if you happened across it.

No doubt at this point I've found myself farming far less, but after the first 100k or so it feels a lot less urgent.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Oh hey, my Patron of War FoS and title appeared. (The one you had to watch the arena twitch stream to get)

I forget to get that, :( I logged on but it was like.. couple hours before the arena had started and I wasn't home when they started, etc.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Salty about my mythic +3s today. We were easily going to beat the timers on both (wardens and maw of souls) but we had silly wipes that fucked us. Oh well :/

Still no legendaries for our group lol

I don't know where you guys have time to farm herbs. I have my hands full in between AP quests and/Mythic+. I pick up herbs when I'm out doing stuff but otherwise I have other things to worry about than maxing Aethril.

I don't do that much of Mythic/Mythic+ dungeons. That's how. And I don't really sweat AP quests too much either (which admittedly has put me behind a tad.) If you're just grinding AP/potential drops at gear, it gets old. Especially since to have a decent shot at upgrades from Mythic+, I'd have to be doing +7s or higher, which aren't really puggable. So I'm limited to times when my guild isn't raiding and there's available tanks/healers.

M.D

What's up with the Versatile Skystone socket it's showing me there but it doesn't appear when I open it up?

m0P2u9V.jpg

HowZatOZ

Banned
I've played a good deal of Druid and Warrior both as tank so I'll offer my personal insight. As a qualifier, Druid is my main so it has better gear and much more play time. Both tanks have their pros and cons in my opinion.

- Warrior pros: Very functional tank, the fact that ignore pain works on both magic and physical damage is nice, and Ignore Pain is very strong even after the changes. The AoE stun they get in shockwave is great, especially for 5man content. Their damage reduction cooldowns are pretty nice and varied, artifact ability is a bit clunky but still good, and spell reflect when you get the artifact trait is super nice. Mobility is amazing and has no equal. They get several DPS CDs and abilities to add to group damage, and can do solid AoE and ST DPS.
- Warrior cons: You have absolutely no "actual" self healing (Victory Rush is not nearly good enough), and as such have no true self sustain. On other tanks, if your healer dies you can often do enough to keep yourself up, but as a warrior your HP is a ticking clock that will run out eventually and you cannot change this. Mostly impacts me in world content, because Ignore Pain will always let 10% of damage through, any big world mob that does more than 15% of your HP in damage every 30 seconds will eventually kill you without outside interference so there are theoretical limits to your self sustain and soloability. You don't really have a great "oh shit I just got spiked to 10% life" ability, Last Stand is fine but 3 min CD is pretty long, otherwise it is just "put up Ignore Pain and hope that is enough", and Shield Wall and Last Stand just have kind of long CDs for what they do in general. And last con is playstyle, at least defensively. Ignore Pain is always the answer, your entire character is based around building up to an IP and using it, so for me it gets a little one-note. But with CDs and Shockwave and Spell Reflection this is a minor point. Final con is that even after the nerf, warrior is looked at as one of if not the strongest tanks, meaning future nerfs are always a fear.

- Bear pros: I think Bear has one of the more elegant active mitigation systems in the game. Especially once you get some of your gold traits plus Guardian of Elune talent, you have a LOT of freedom with how you mitigate. Lots of physical damage coming in? Stack ironfurs. Magic happening? As a bear you have on demand 30% magic damage reduction. Just took a big damage spike? Frenzied Regen heals you for 50% (plus talents) of the damage you just took, and has routinely healed me for 50% total HP. Frenzied Regen I think is one of the best spike damage recovery tools in the game right now, highly underrated. Bear also is one of the smoothest tanks with incoming damage. You will rarely make your healer panic, your damage intake is very often smooth and manageable. And you have a ton of CDs to help, between the absolutely overpowered Rage of the Sleeper on a 1.5 min CD, Barkskin as a ~1.5 min 20% DR that you can use freely, and TWO CHARGES of Shield Wall, meaning you can use your biggest DR whenever you want and know you still have a charge banked for that moment in the fight that requires it. You can be quite self sufficient if played correctly, I've tanked the last boss in Maw mythic and Valor mythic after my healer died and lived through minutes more of combat. You can do a ton of AoE damage if specced correctly, while also being basically unkillable for that AoE pack. You have a lot of freedom with talents, and have a variety of builds that work. And most importantly, I find the Bear "rotation" to be very fun and satisfying without being overly complicated meaning you can focus on your tank duties like add management and survivability. Lastly, bear is super powerful (world first mythic +15 used a bear) but seems to be sliding under the radar so nerfs are less likely than on warrior.
- Bear cons: the other hand of the pro, is that because your physical and magical DR are separate, you need to know ahead of time whether an ability is physical or magic. Tree boss in DHT picking you up? Yea, thats actually magic damage, even though it totally seems like it would be physical. So if you don't want to know fights beforehand, playing Bear can be rough. ST damage as a bear is quite low, and you have no real DPS boosts that don't cost you survivability, which can lead to some minor threat issues in raids. You have no nice AoE stun or ranged silence/grip to get those pesky ranged mobs/casters in, though Roar is awesome for mass interrupts (still weird they gave a disorient that breaks on bleed ticks to the tank that has an AoE bleed in their ST rotation). Mobility is mostly fine, definitely nowhere near warrior or DH, though you lose your best personal mobility to take the best raid mobility spell, so that definitely sucks. Your single target and AoE rotations are virtually the same, as your AoE spammable ability is also your ST filler, which is very mildly annoying. If you don't take Galactic Guardian, your rotation is super simple and pretty boring, though GG is so far and away the best talent this matters less.

Just some quick unorganized thoughts, hope it helped a little. Dunno if it is obvious, but I definitely prefer playing Bear, but both tanks offer a lot and are strong and satisfying to play. I also recommend playing both thru the artifact questline if possible to get a feel yourself, but that might not be an option.
Thank you mate, that's some amazing insight. I'm currently maining bear with our guild on heroic EN but I wanted to look back at warriors again and see where they are at. I think I'll settle on at least levelling him up and see how I go with tanking.

I love my druid bear but I am noticing a few things like mobility or the need to premeditate damage so I can react with mitigation relevant to said damage. It's little bit picky things but I would like to see if warrior fits into my style. Thanks again mate!

Sölf

Changes to Mythic+ Dungeons:

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613731368

Prior to the hotfix, this Cache contained 400 base (pre-Knowledge-modifier) Artifact Power. After the hotfix:
Mythic 2-3: 500 base Artifact Power
Mythic 4-6: 800 base Artifact Power
Mythic 7-9: 1000 base Artifact Power
Mythic 10+: 1200 base Artifact Power

At the same time, any additional (bonus) chests awarded for beating the Mythic Keystone timer by a very large amount will no longer contain any Artifact Power. They will still contain items of the appropriate power level, as before.

Quoted the most important part. I agree with the ever increasing AP, but not sure if I would have completely removed it from the additional chests.

scy

Huh ... I think I want to say I agree with the changes overall but I'll have to see it in action.

v1perz53

Sölf;219328823 said:
Changes to Mythic+ Dungeons:

Quoted the most important part. I agree with the ever increasing AP, but not sure if I would have completely removed it from the additional chests.

I like the changes overall, but still leads to some awkward interactions. Such that if you have all the time in the world to do runs, it is optimal for you to start running at +2 then make sure not to get any extra chests and upgrade 1 at a time. Same total number of loot chests, but WAY more AP that way. My group won't be doing that because we are time limited but still a bit silly that now the optimal solution is never upgrading more than +1.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So let me get this straight, people were just running +2s for ez AP? Now you're rewarded more for doing a number of Mythics and you have more incentive to complete any kind of Mythic+ at all rather than spamming +2/+3s purely for AP?

scy

Yeah, I think it removes a lot of the pressure for missing 2/3 timers in random pugs. I think the numbers could be slightly higher (500, 900, 1200, 1500) but that's also me saying it since it's a little weird to think of current 3 Chest M+2 is the same as post-change M+10.

Does lend itself to the time inefficient method of do +2, +3, +4, etc. instead of taking the skips but probably not worth it vs just spending that time doing more of the higher tiers.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is it just me, or did we get the same Archaeology quest 2 weeks in a row(the one with a Tauren student)? I shouldn't be wasting my time doing it again right?

v1perz53

Yeah, I think it removes a lot of the pressure for missing 2/3 timers in random pugs. I think the numbers could be slightly higher (500, 900, 1200, 1500) but that's also me saying it since it's a little weird to think of current 3 Chest M+2 is the same as post-change M+10.

Does lend itself to the time inefficient method of do +2, +3, +4, etc. instead of taking the skips but probably not worth it vs just spending that time doing more of the higher tiers.

Yea the more I think about it this seems to only affect carry groups or super high end raiders who have all the time in the world. For any group that runs out of time before getting their keystones to the max level of their ability this will be pure positive for them.

Is it just me, or did we get the same Archaeology quest 2 weeks in a row(the one with a Tauren student)? I shouldn't be wasting my time doing it again right?

Archaeology quest changes every 2 weeks. For US it is on the 2nd week of the 3rd quest now, spear of rethe. 2 weeks prior was the item that makes a column of stars, and I can't remember the one before that.

Sölf

It's always 2 weeks, has been like this for the other 2 also. I just don't know why we get the breadcrumb at the start of each week.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They only offer a new quest biweekly. For whatever reason the system resets every week and offers the same quest two weeks in a row.

Sölf

Yea the more I think about it this seems to only affect carry groups or super high end raiders who have all the time in the world. For any group that runs out of time before getting their keystones to the max level of their ability this will be pure positive for them.

Yeah, my group has now only +4 and above keystones and we probably will never fall below that unless someone can't come online for a whole week. Our highest clear so far was +6 (twice, last week and this week) and the last time we got +2 chests was a level 3 Eye of Azshara. So this change will help us more than it harms us. And I think it will be the same for most people who do this content.

v1perz53

Sölf;219330662 said:
Yeah, my group has now only +4 and above keystones and we probably will never fall below that unless someone can't come online for a whole week. Our highest clear so far was +6 (twice, last week and this week) and the last time we got +2 chests was a level 3 Eye of Azshara. So this change will help us more than it harms us. And I think it will be the same for most people who do this content.

Same for us, I was kind of upset that we started with all +5 chests in our group since we did a +7 last week, but this change will soften that blow a bit. Just glad we didn't run our keystones earlier in the week, that definitely would've felt bad. Though I still do wish we could start with +2s since we could still use plenty of upgrades even from +2, and extra legendary chances are always good.

Sölf

Man, that thread and the MMO-Champion one are already good reads. I expected these comments.

Though one thing I actually do agree with:
AP should be determined by dungeon length. Maw of Souls giving the same amount as Halls of Valor is silly, even though Halls has basically a timer twice that long.

Haly

Well i'm tired of being not rich. Time to dip my toes into the enchantment market.

v1perz53

Actually the more I think about it the more I dislike this mythic+ change. Half the fun of the runs was pushing as hard as you can to get as low a time as possible, but now especially at higher keystone levels you really don't want to. Like for us at our +5 keystones it is really beneficial for us to only upgrade them by +1 at first, because a +6 is much easier than a +7 (don't get the second affix till +7). So I'm sure my group will want to do our +5s with 1 chest. Just sounds really boring, since a 1 chest +5 is trivial whereas with the old system every run was fun as we were pushing hard for as good a time as possible. I don't think there should be a full on DOWNSIDE to beating the dungeon really quickly, the upside of saving some time overall doesn't seem to be potent enough.

Haly

Depends on the secondary stats, but the socket probably isn't worth 15 iLvls.

Unless you're a Frost Mage.

Still using an 825 Crit/Haste ring with a gem slot despite being at 850 overall ilvl. Jewelry is particularly sensitive to secondaries because they have no primary stats to take advantage of raw ilvl differences.

scy

Sölf;219331388 said:
Man, that thread and the MMO-Champion one are already good reads. I expected these comments.

Though one thing I actually do agree with:
AP should be determined by dungeon length. Maw of Souls giving the same amount as Halls of Valor is silly, even though Halls has basically a timer twice that long.

There's that and probably tweaking the bonus chest rewards to give something else in it. Augment Runes, the shoulder Enchant satchels, mats, etc. I get that it'd be nice to get maybe 1 token extra or something once you get to the affixes but I think they're just trying to head off the change simply moving the +2 farm up a few tiers and want to make the system as a whole more about going up the tiers without locking you from the lower ones entirely.

Realistically, they could probably make the AP gained scale with the M+ rank (i.e., 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. all have a different value) and then have beating the timer give you the AP token from the higher tier. For instance, 3 chests on a +5 should give you the +7 tokens. At least so it's not as straightforward as 3 chests but only 1/3rd the AP, it can be like 3 chests but 1/2 the total AP. Just make it a bit more time efficient at least.

Xeteh

I'm not really one for achievements but I have some friends who are and I'm a tank so I'm only 5 away from Glory of the Legion Hero achievement.

M.D

Playing Outlaw, getting to 858 and losing on damage to mixed classes like DH and Monks is fucking depressing

How do you not have at least one Rogue spec be one of the top dps

Haly

Do you think I should switch to tank?

Mythic PUGs have surplus of healers.

I feel like it's the opposite. There's a surplus of tanks (thanks to DH) and a lack of healers.

cdyhybrid

Playing Outlaw, getting to 858 and losing on damage to mixed classes like DH and Monks is fucking depressing

How do you not have at least one Rogue spec be one of the top dps

On bosses or what? Last I saw both Assassination and Sub were simming higher than Outlaw in single target.

Edit: Guildie just got 895 legs with a socket from H Renferal lul

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Got a super weird glitch in raid tonight.

We were doing the spider boss and on the run back I got phased from everyone else. They summoned me to them and then the spider boss got a buff that did 500% damage buff that one shot the tank.

After that I kept getting phased from the group and when I got ported to them, my character couldn't do any abilities and the raid saw me doing animations but not moving.

Strimei

I took my monk through the Arcway and Court of Stars earlier, regular mythic, and its kinda interesting how a few weeks and everyone getting gear made them both far easier.

I remember going opening week and lot of struggling at times (particularly to the second boss in CoS) but now, cakewalk.

Renekton

I feel like it's the opposite. There's a surplus of tanks (thanks to DH) and a lack of healers.
Everytime I open dungeon section, there are 6+ groups with 1 healer and 3 dps waiting on a tank, maybe 1-2 group with a tank which does not accept my scrubby 850-ness. So I join the group with only DPS and hope some undergeared tank graces us with his presence.

M.D

On bosses or what? Last I saw both Assassination and Sub were simming higher than Outlaw in single target.

Edit: Guildie just got 895 legs with a socket from H Renferal lul

I pugged a Violet Hold Mythic run and then went on with 3 of the guys to do Maw +2, Eye +5, Thicket +7 (got 2 chests on the first two. It was a fun run, got from 854 to 858
) and was overshadowed by a WW monk and a DH a lot of times. I know they shine in AoE situations but the DH out-damaging me on single target boss fights as well.

Talking in general, the fact that rogues are a pure dps spec in my mind at least means that one spec should be at the top of charts but right now its populated by ench shaman or windwalker

Also, there's some real issues with Outlaw.
I get that its an rng spec and I love that aspect of it, but I don't think most players would claim they are happy with the way it works right now. There's no internal logic to it and you can literally roll a single buff 6 times in a row and that's just frustrating because you're missing out on so much potential damage.

BTW, I tried using Ghostly Strike in heroic a couple of days ago without really using it beforehand and I was doing fucking awful lol
don't try to change your talents last minute without getting used to it first ;p

belmonkey

Grr, might have beaten the spider boss in EN for the first time after learning all the tactics from a few wipes, but I (as 1 of the 3 healers) died milliseconds before my guardian spirit could activate after hitting the button. One of these days I'll get through the raid. I think I could even do heroic, if I knew all the tactics better, because healing normal seemed kinda easier today at 843 Ilvl.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The problem is with the new numbers completing a +8-10 with 1 chest is worse than getting 3 chests from a +2/+3. So it ends up being a pretty massive nerf to AP gains, and let's be honest, AP isn't really all that plentiful relative to how much you need to level up at this stage.

Would have been a good change in my book if +1ing anything above a 7 gave equivalent or more than 3 chesting a +2/3 under the old system.

Sarek

The problem is with the new numbers completing a +8-10 with 1 chest is worse than getting 3 chests from a +2/+3. So it ends up being a pretty massive nerf to AP gains, and let's be honest, AP isn't really all that plentiful relative to how much you need to level up at this stage.

Would have been a good change in my book if +1ing anything above a 7 gave equivalent or more than 3 chesting a +2/3 under the old system.

You only get AP from one chest now. The extra chests can only contain loot and money.

Top Bottom