• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Gui_PT

D4Danger said:
I just found out Chrome has a context menu api and whipped this up quickly.

unless somebody beats me to it (or already has) I'll try and put this up soon for people to download

http://i.imgur.com/pXIll.png[

(it won't look this bad)[/QUOTE]

That would be highly appreciated

leng jai

Everytime I try Chrome a lot of pages just sudden fail to load out of nowhere for no reason. Bloody infuriating, makes me go back to Opera every time.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
irfan said:
Is there a way I can save a browser session, like a window with 3 tabs?

Options > Basics tab > select "Reopen the pages that were opened last"

this will restore your last session.

Desperado

Love that the [X]/stop loading page button is integrated with the reload page button. Having that on the right side of the screed didn't make much sense to me.

Woffls

My dreams have come true! The stupid gap between tabs and the top of the screen has disappeared! Browser of the Forever.

leng jai said:
Everytime I try Chrome a lot of pages just sudden fail to load out of nowhere for no reason. Bloody infuriating, makes me go back to Opera every time.

Yeah, mostly this. Right now, I'm having difficulties with Gameday animations on mlb.com. And on my netbook it uses significantly more resources when a number of tabs are open compared to Opera.

But it's always a good alternative to bloaty Firefox nevertheless.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMFG I need that image properties extension like yesterday!!

Question... Can you get GIF comments from the metadate?

Mike Works said:
just installed this and don't like it... how do i turn it off? not seeing it in the extensions page.

Wrench -> Options -> Personal Stuff -> Reset to default theme

artist

Banned
D4Danger said:
Options > Basics tab > select "Reopen the pages that were opened last"

this will restore your last session.
Thanks but is there a way I can store multiple sessions.

vazel

Banned
Hell yes at the built-in pdf viewer!

Edit: Wow this is noticeably faster. Not just hyperbole anymore from people whenever a new version of Firefox, Opera, and Chrome are released. This time it's for real. I was disappointed before that Chrome wasn't as fast as I'd like but now it is.

vazel

Banned
Can anyone else view pdf's? I uninstalled Adobe Reader but now all Chrome does is download the pdf's instead of opening them in the browser.

Threi

notag
vazel said:
Can anyone else view pdf's? I uninstalled Adobe Reader but now all Chrome does is download the pdf's instead of opening them in the browser.
about:plugins

also, never use adobe reader again. If you must use a PDF reader use Foxit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Desperado said:
Wait, pinned tabs no longer stay put when you close them? That was one of my favorite features...

:O

:/

That is lame. And it seems counter to the whole app tabs thing... then again, maybe they want to make a stark difference between "pinned tabs" and "installed app tabs."

Well, whatever. I hardly close Gmail anyways.

Oh and this is cool, if you have Gmail pinned and it wants to notify you of something, it looks like a light glides over the tab. :D

Threi said:
about:plugins

also, never use adobe reader again. If you must use a PDF reader use Foxit.

I've always used the Docs/PDF view extension by Google. I don't even think I have Adobe Reader on my computers.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
vazel said:

type chrome:plugins into the address bar and see if the built-in PDF reader is disabled.

cnizzle06

Banned
Great. Shortly after upgrading, my browser froze and now it says "This application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135). Click OK to close the application" everytime I try to reopen it.

Somebody help? :(

Jerk

Banned
So, still no chance of getting noscript right?

That is the only thing keeping me from switching.

I do not feel safe browsing the web without noscript.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cnizzle06 said:
Great. Shortly after upgrading, my browser froze and now it says "This application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135). Click OK to close the application" everytime I try to reopen it.

Somebody help? :(

That happened to me and it was because I had a virus. I've heard it's either that, or because something is up with .NET.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Another cool little change: Ctrl and = increases the page size, whereas you had to hold shift before to turn it into a +.

Threi said:
right click > print

?
Hmm... that's strange. I'm accessing the Blackboard Academic Suite to look at some stuff for class, and whenever I right click on this page the "print" option doesn't show up. It does on every other page I visit. I checked in IE, and "print" does show up in Blackboard.

Very weird...

Opera is still my #1, but Chrome is really amazing. It really has matured a whole lot since it first came out.

Also, I use the Dev channel. I thought most people who knew about it used the Beta channel...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
These browser designs don't make any damn sense. Why is the address bar so damn big when all I type in is neogaf.com, espn.com, and hulu.com. I don't give a damn about the rest of the address.

Who really cares about seeing the "/href#2334222323/client=android" bullshit at the end of a webpage address? Or if I MUST see that garbage string, let me click a button to extend it, but I guarantee you it will be the most underutilized button on the browser. Nobody cares. Move the bookmarks and all menus up there, make the tabs thin, and give me the rest of the window for the webpage, which is the reason I opened your stupid browser to begin with!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
VanMardigan said:
These browser designs don't make any damn sense. Why is the address bar so damn big when all I type in is neogaf.com, espn.com, and hulu.com. I don't give a damn about the rest of the address.

Who really cares about seeing the "/href#2334222323/client=android" bullshit at the end of a webpage address? Or if I MUST see that garbage string, let me click a button to extend it, but I guarantee you it will be the most underutilized button on the browser. Nobody cares. Move the bookmarks and all menus up there, make the tabs thin, and give me the rest of the window for the webpage, which is the reason I opened your stupid browser to begin with!

Chrome is smart about this and makes everything but the main domain name gray instead of black. And having a bigger URL bar gives a larger area to click, and less chance of an error trying to get into the address bar.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oh please, they're super tiny on phones and nobody has issues, You can cut that address bar in half and NOBODY will go "durr, I can't click on it".

dismas

Only thing I dislike is that ctrl+shift+b bookmark manager shortcut doesn't work anymore. Also, is the tab closing animation during close other tabs new? I've just noticed it now and it looks pretty cool.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
VanMardigan said:
Oh please, they're super tiny on phones and nobody has issues, You can cut that address bar in half and NOBODY will go "durr, I can't click on it".

It's Chrome's main feature though and is prominently featured in all the various artwork for it. They made a big deal about combining both boxes into one long one.

Besides, if you have lots of extensions installed, you run out of that space quick. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
VanMardigan said:
How about an icon for extensions? Like the wrench, but instead, how about a head with fake hair? /badumbish

You mean like... this?

28wldva.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
I guess I'm not on the Dev channel anymore. So... when do we get Chrome 7?? I'm looking forward to hardware acceleration.

LJ11

Is there an extension similar to Firefox's Tab Mix Plus? That's the only thing keeping me on Firefox. They're both similar enough, to me anyway, but Chrome does feel a bit faster.

D4Danger said:
I just found out Chrome has a context menu api and whipped this up quickly.

unless somebody beats me to it (or already has) I'll try and put this up soon for people to download

pXIll.png

(it won't look this bad)
WTB

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jasoco said:
I guess I'm not on the Dev channel anymore. So... when do we get Chrome 7?? I'm looking forward to hardware acceleration.

The schedule is six weeks per release. So mid-October, probably, although I suspect it'll slip to early November. I've believed for a while that the Web Store and Chrome OS will launch when 7 does, or shortly after.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
:lol

Another little tweak. Middle/Ctrl clicking Back, Forward, or Refresh opens those pages in a new tab. Actually kinda cool. :lol

Top Bottom