• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want good ice cream. What are good brands and their flavors?

lenovox1

This is borderline blasphemy. Blue Bunny is so phenomenally mediocre. I'll take the listeria if it means getting Blue Bell back into Vegas.

Blue Bunny is full of fillers and gums too. That helps keep it creamy even when stored for a long period of time, but it also loses flavor, body, texture, everything that makes ice cream good...

How is it that there are thousands of options but only Cold Stone sells Sweet Cream?

Please help, me I'm dying

Yeah, I can only ever find sweet cream at ice cream shops :(

Apparently Tillamook has sweet cream gelato, but I can't get that locally.

Hell must be discovering a favourite flavour and finding out it is only available at Cold Stone.

PS: Jeni's has a sweet cream pint btw.

jjGwnVR.png

Zoe

Hell must be discovering a favourite flavour and finding out it is only available at Cold Stone.

PS: Jeni's has a sweet cream pint btw.

I actually like Cold Stone! But there aren't any around here :(

Sweet Cream is the perfect flavor to add to. I'll have to see if I can find Jeni's...

Ponn

Banned
Blue Bell is still great, they had a problem and fixed it. It’s not like they keep screwing up like Chipotle. Their Brides Cake ice cream is awesome and one of the best mint chip ice creams.

Ben and Jerry’s is overrated. It’s classic example of just because it costs more doesn’t mean it’s better.

If you happen to be blessed enough to have a Publix nearby then you have your GOAT ice cream right there.

Publix Pumpkin Pie ice cream - has the little Pie pieces and right mix of spice flavoring. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and dash of nutmeg, mmmm.

Publix Apple Pie ice cream - not quite the GOAT as the pumpkin pie but damn is it close.

Publix Chocolate Trinity - good fucking lord who thought up this was a goddamn mad man. You like chocolate? Well here you go. Just know nothing will satisfy your chocolate craving ever again.

Publix Cookie Quarry frozen yogurt - yea not ice cream but I dare you to tell me you can tell the difference. This is the absolute best cookies and cream type ice cream/yogurt I’ve ever had bar none. And it’s frozen yogurt so it’s good for you, right? Sure it is!

teepo

Jeni's is legit and is still the best ice cream i've ever had. the best way to describe it is Ben and Jerry's done right, with no compromises and the ratios perfected. i went to about ten ice cream shops during my last trip to LA and i was left surprised by how much i preferred Jeni's over the rest, especially in texture. that's saying a lot given the competition in LA is no joke

i thought with all the recent ice cream shops popping up that were obviously influenced by Jeni, she'd have fallen towards the bottom of pack, kind of like how Momofuku Ramen has in New York. what's most impressive is that the several Jeni's located in LA are as far removed from the original Columbus, Ohio flagship store as can possibly be. i can only imagine the quality being consistent across the entire country

unfortunately that shit is way too out of my price range whenever i come across it at the grocery store. though they just opened up a shop in DC finally :D

lenovox1

Ooh! Because I just had one and it was on my mind because of this thread: the best consumer chocolate ice cream bar is hands down a Dove dark chocolate bar.

The vanilla ice cream they use is perfectly smooth and sweet and balances the bitter, creamy elements of the Dove shell perfectly. 😋

Haagen Daz. 16% butterfat, super premium ice cream.

If you're in the Bay Area, Mitchell's. Incredibly good and some really unusual seasonal flavors.

Graeters is a brand from Cincinnati, OH, but they are in scattered stores here and there. You can also buy online and have it shipped anywhere.

Not ideal for a spur of the moment desire, no, but it's some of the best shit I've had. No crazy flavor combinations, more traditional. My personal fav is black raspberry chip. It's outstanding.

toohectic

Roselani's Haupia flavor. Yum! But unfortunately it's only available in Hawaii. So my second choice is likely Ben & Jerry's Milk and Cookies. So good!

Sounds like I gotta try Talenti again. Only tried the Mediterranean Mint flavor and I wasn't a huge fan. The mint flavor had a bad after taste to me. So I'll have to try one of the other flavors.

I feel like we have this thread every 2 months. No complaints here, I love ice cream. Anyone remember Baseball Nut at Baskin Robins? Shit was legit

Fuchsdh

Oh god, first two posts absolute nail it. Always, always stick with coffee for Haagen-dazs. One of the best store bought ice creams of all time. But get something crazy from Ben and Jerry's. Like Phish Food

phish-food-detail.png

Now I really want Phish food.

As I'm not normally a huge topping/ingredients guy in my ice cream, these days I lean more towards Hagen Daz. It's great and it's easy to find pretty much anywhere.

And, if we count gelato, while Talenti is pretty great, this flavor is utter perfection to me:

haagen+dazs+black+cherry+amaretto+gelato+pint.jpg

Skyr

Oh god, first two posts absolute nail it. Always, always stick with coffee for Haagen-dazs. One of the best store bought ice creams of all time. But get something crazy from Ben and Jerry's. Like Phish Food

phish-food-detail.png

GOAT GOAT GOAT

Also not available in germany :mad: why why why
Had a giant portion at boston harbor a few months ago and was in heaven.

Hyoukokun

Talenti is decent but I prefer Gelato Fiasco to it.

The peanut butter and espresso flavours are both quite brilliant.

Gelato Fiasco is amazing. Their best flavors (IMHO) are Strawberry Balsamic and Sweet Resurgam (a burnt sugar + almond flavor), which can be hard to find outside of their actual stores in Maine.

There's been a surge of premium ice cream lately. They're all pretty good. I do like how Haagen Dazs still manages to keep it's good texture without any gums. I wouldnt write off an ice cream just because it has a stabilizer like guar gum but I don't like ice cream where you can notice it. Modern day Breyers sucks for that.

Yes! I really can't stand most ice creams now that I've become used to good ice cream without all the gums and stabilizers.

The best ice cream I've found is either Turkey Hill "All Natural" ice creams, or Haagen Daz "Five" ice creams.

Both of these do not contain any of the thickening, stabilizing and emulsifying Agents (Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Lactase Enzyme, Tara Gum, mono & diglycerides, etc.) found in most other ice creams.

These will actually melt if you leave it out, instead of turning into a gelatinous blob. And they taste much richer and creamier because of it, imo.

turkey+hill+all+natural+vanilla+quart.jpg

74570650507.jpg

Ryuukan

Every time someone posts Ben & Jerry's, I die a little bit inside.

Ben & Jerry's ice cream tastes amazing, still gives a full pint (unlike haagen-dazs crooks) and supports progressive social movements

either you're a hardcore #maga bro or you expect everyone has a "mom & pop" ice cream shop across the street from them

Graeters website, from my earlier post. Currently featuring Stout & Pretzel ice cream. I haven't had that one yet, but everything else is just wonderful. If anyone is here is ever going to Cincinnati, do yourself a favor and stop there.

Top Bottom