• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM FPS (The Bureau) about to be re-revealed, teasers sent out

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Video of the teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3xqroeWX44

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/news/is_2k_about_to_re-announce_xcom.html

After nigh on 8 years of development, we can see what they've finally come up with.

Let's relive memory lane while we wait:

xcomgirlrebel_bigexseb.png

xcom_e3_screenshot_iirupzp.jpg

originald6pcp.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Oh nice, thanks for sharing. I'm really interested in this and to see what they've come up with.

Xater

Even with the name change I expect disappointment. This game went through some major trouble...

It also didn't look great before.

Hopefully all these delays & shifts have resulted in a Sleeping Dogs-type miracle.

Mostly likely though, it'll be a decent tactical shooter with a unique visual flair.

Saty

So it's still X-COM branded?

The game won't sell enough to cover the cost of sending these packages to media sites.

Maybe it was just me but the map on the videogamer video made me think it might be open-world? Could of course just be a map of the area though.

I sorta remember rumours that this changed from an FPS to a squad-based TPS like SOCOM, I think? That would be preferable to an FPS, at least.

It'll definitely be interesting to finally see what's become of it.

Truant

I thought it looked awesome. Running a 60's style secret hideouts with scientists smoking and experimenting on weird tech seemed so cool. Combat also seemed fine. We got the real XCOM, so why hate on this?

Xater

I thought it looked awesome. Running a 60's style secret hideouts with scientists smoking and experimenting on weird tech seemed so cool. Combat also seemed fine. We got the real XCOM, so why hate on this?

The whole black goo thing looked dumb. Nt scary at all just dumb and kind of funny. If this teaser suggests they are still in then I don't know what they are doing...

The hate came before the real XCOM was announced. Given that the real XCOM came out and was awesome I think people would be up for the original game that was announced IMO. I am.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a note, since it started circa 2005, technically it might be 7 years since I'm not sure when in 2005 it started.

Micerider

Called it. I'm curious to know if they fundamantaly changed the game for a reboot or if they just bothered slapping another name on it to keep Xcom ragefans away. I think it's a good move, Xcom did not need a shooter branch yet this game might have interesting things of his own.

Daingurse

Pretty much my thoughts on this game. Last year's Xcom was excellent and I like the themes of this shooter.

Chuck

Still without luck

My thoughts exactly. The thing I'm wondering is how much they'll change because that 2011 demo was XCOM, just an fps. Board of global panic, squad of different agents, aliens. The style and look of everything was the interesting part of it for me. I just wonder if they'll keep it the same in terms of gameplay and label it something new, or rip out the xcomyness and make it too different. Hope it's the former.

antitrop

I heard you like aliased images. Holy fuck. Looks like they were captured at native PS1 resolution.

The girl reminds me of Rage.

AdamMPSP

I saw a theater demo of this game at E3 2011 and it was the third most promising thing I saw at E3 that year, right behind Bioshock Infinite and Prey 2.

I was honestly disappointed with the generic modern-day setting of last year's X-COM, because I was so into the old-school FBI feel of the first person shooter. I'm glad to see this is gonna finally come out. Hope it's decent.

BHK3

Banned
Re-revealed? I always thought Xcom was the shooter until the strategy game came out of nowhere to me. 8 years now?

Crystalkoen

I guess the biggest question on my mind right now is...

Is this going to be better than XCom: Enforcer?

I don't think "bad" was a descriptive enough term for that game. I considered it the "freebie" when I bought the entire X-Com pack on Steam back in the day... and still felt ripped off.

antitrop

At least this game won't turn out to be a shitty third-person Ghostbusters clone like the final ripoff picture in the OP.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Oooooh, those screenshots bring back a lot of exciting memories.

Can't wait to see.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I expect the final product will be OK but rushed, and in the end we'll find out that this version of the game was only developed for a year or two at most.

I hope this is something like an FPS version of XCOM - as in it has character customization, base building, research etc. I really like those sort of things in games.

Muzzy

As long as they keep the 60s setting I'm still interested. But I wonder if they just turn the game into third-person view or if there's been a lot more change.

Sulik2

This game always seemed like it had a really cool concept. I can't wait to see what its like. I am hoping for Alpha Protocol in FPS format.

antitrop

I understand it's heavily stylized...but what the hell is "rebel girl" supposed to be?

A fine example of awful character design.

Like what you should put up on a projector in art schools and say "Now, students, this is what you don't do. Now that is out of the way, let's talk about what you should do.".

Kajiba

Hopefully this will be good.

I remember when the game first came out and it looked like bioshock lol. I really didn't have a problem with that...atleast we knew what we was going to get at that time.

Top Bottom