• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

OchreHand

Wanted to do something serene this time

jeremy_deveraturda_covet.png

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
OchreHand said:
Wanted to do something serene this time

jeremy_deveraturda_covet.png

Very nice, not much to say other than maybe some more highlights in the sky would help, some "god rays", even ... but I would have to see it first. I enjoy that youre telling us a story with the piece, maybe you should push it even further? Adding some hints of monsters lurking in the shadows could help you do that.

funkmasterb said:
Just put up my 2008 animation reel!

http://bradkinley.com/?page_id=13

Excellent reel, I love the flour sack and brings me back to my 2D animation days, good music too! Did you do all the lighting and shader work as well? Its pretty brilliant really, since you use blocky 2D shapes with high res shader and texture work, giving it a very "next gen Hanna Barbera" look to it.

OchreHand

Raging Spaniard said:
Very nice, not much to say other than maybe some more highlights in the sky would help, some "god rays", even ... but I would have to see it first. I enjoy that youre telling us a story with the piece, maybe you should push it even further? Adding some hints of monsters lurking in the shadows could help you do that.

Hey thanks! I actually had light rays from the sky but I softened them for more serenity
i think the next piece i'll attempt a monster , never did one before but it should be fun at least trying

You are all amazing, especially OchreHand and Raging Spaniard.

Damn, you're really gods among men.

That said, I made a drawing in Photoshop from the Jazz singer Diana Krall.

Didn't turn out how I wanted it, but I didn't care.

Diana_Krall_by_PizzaLuigi.png

OchreHand

Pizza Luigi said:
You are all amazing, especially OchreHand and Raging Spaniard.

Damn, you're really gods among men.

hey, thanks a lot for the kind words

You got the likeness down for Diana Krall. I would just push the values of your drawing, it'll look more solid that way

bigben85: i'm actually digging your Akuma sketch. something about the underlying sketchiness adds energy

Xtyle

OchreHand said:
bigben85: i'm actually digging your Akuma sketch. something about the underlying sketchiness adds energy

Thanks.
One thing I like to put in that kind of drawings is energy and indication of movement.

Xtyle

Pizza Luigi said:

I think your busy background (all those lines) are in competition with your foreground objects. it is rougher than the rest of the drawing and that is catching attention. Could try toning that down or fade it out a little...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Good to see your stuff bigben, looking sharp!
Im retouching some old artwork so that I can add it to my portfolio, heres an environment concept in that vein.

Before and after:

waterside_house.jpg

waterside_house_2.jpg

Man, there are some hot pieces in this thread
I finally got a (tiny) wacom tablet and Im still trying to learn how to draw digitally but this is my most recent thing. Im trying to write my own comic and I figured it would be better to do it on the computer. Hopefully I can finish it and get it out by next century
1stpagecopy.jpg

I'm trying to get back on the horse, but it's mostly dragging me behind it with my leg caught in the stirrup. :lol

Doodles from work.

SpeedRacer.jpg

Friday seems to be my new Sketch Jam day, hopefully.

Halycon said:
Where are the tentacles?

And who's that guy?

Trixies with dixies?! That would be hot with her mini skirt. :D

Also staring at this Mach 5 toy I realized the car, viewed from the top is shaped like a woman's torso. I have to wonder if that was on the designers mind? Ingenious!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Take Out Bandit said:
Trixies with dixies?! That would be hot with her mini skirt. :D
You know what you must do.

soultron

Banned
n502876390_1762314_1570.jpg

I got bored tonight. I typically draw more graffiti style stuff, but I wanted a hipster self-portrait just like every other cool kid out there.

I don't have a scanner, not that it would matter!

Raging Spaniard

Cool new stuff guys

Just got back from Vegas and instead of sleeping I felt like painting, so there you go

merman.jpg

soultron

Banned
Witchfinder, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Maybe it's just because I take pride in writing, but I cannot stand that graffiti font. Your image is so classy, and the "Just Jeans" logo is a great fit with the image, but the graf font just clashes with the whole deal.

Just offering a critique. I think your choices in typography are just as important a part of that piece as the actual hand drawn art. If you're going ever going to add graffiti stylings to something, just draw it out yourself -- it'll look ten times better and won't look played out.

sammy

nice pencil work Extollere! All kinds of awesome in this new art-thread, good incentive for us all to get our practice on .... now that MonsterHunter3 has been shown i can take a MH break and do some doodles. WipEout HD should interrupt my flow nicely though.

I'm getting back into the sketching now that fall is here and it's nice out, some photoshop stuff lately:

Dino's and Mammal-Like reptiles:
MDtorosaurus.jpg

Dimetrodon_mammal-like_rept.jpg

exploring Europa:
spawning.jpg

a study of a Sargent sketch:

sargent-study-two-boys.jpg

10 min clothing gesture:
gesture3.jpg

some GF fanart .... this little dude's design came out way too r-type ... thinking i might just close the cockpit in, if it won't look too much like a maschinen krieger style rip-off
itsabughunt.jpg

some stuff for friends:

ashocto.jpg

sweetpotatoevine.jpg

more nerdy shit in the works as i type

Haly

sammy said:
nice pencil work Extollere! All kinds of awesome in this new art-thread, good incentive for us all to get our practice on .... now that MonsterHunter3 has been shown i can take a MH break and do some doodles. WipEout HD should interrupt my flow nicely though.

I'm getting back into the sketching now that fall is here and it's nice out, some photoshop stuff lately:

Dino's and Mammal-Like reptiles:
MDtorosaurus.jpg
Wat.

EVIDENCE%203.jpg

evidence2.jpg

just took the compilations straight from the site. i have been fuckng lazy trying to get jobs lately or doing new work but a new website upgrade will infuse me with some awesome sauce to since ill have to create a lot of new images for it.

pretty much decided i really want to to do story board, above free lancing for spot illustration. my vector portfolio doesn't really convey my skills on life drawing as well as they are.

sammy

blackadde said:
here's a paper bear fighting a robot koala.
Untitled-3.jpg

!! ROCK !! I love it

i've had requests to show some kind of tutorials so here's a work-in-progress Tigrex fanart I've been chipping away at slowly that might expose some of the process ... about half-way through, but i promised myself i'd finish it off when i got time. fanart's slow because i can't just make shit up :p
Oracrest and I were on a quest and he got trampled after cookin' a gourmet steak :D i felt obligated to do my own take on the even. the cat's going to be worked over from a picture of his sibling's pet cat
looks-tastey.jpg

Haly

sammy said:
!! ROCK !! I love it

i've had requests to show some kind of tutorials so here's a work-in-progress Tigrex fanart I've been chipping away at slowly that might expose some of the process ... about half-way through, but i promised myself i'd finish it off when i got time. fanart's slow because i can't just make shit up :p
Oracrest and I were on a quest and he got trampled after cookin' a gourmet steak :D i felt obligated to do my own take on the even. the cat's going to be worked over from a picture of his sibling's pet cat
http://www.cerebral-art.com/Sammy/ESB/looks-tastey.jpg
Looking forward to even getting a glimpse at the process. So hyped.

sammy said:
!! ROCK !! I love it

i've had requests to show some kind of tutorials so here's a work-in-progress Tigrex fanart I've been chipping away at slowly that might expose some of the process ... about half-way through, but i promised myself i'd finish it off when i got time.

yeah, i'd really like to see how you work to. from sketch to finish. is there a way? a site?..
i'm really impressed

sammy

thanks :] I'm cleaning up my Photoshop collection of brushes that i can upload tomorrow for you folks to download. tons of stuff from brushes i've made and found, some M@ brushes and Sparth brushes from conceptart.org
they're good inspiration for some experimenting

i had an architecture tutorial from a while back, i'll find it and load it up

sammy said:
thanks :] I'm cleaning up my Photoshop collection of brushes that i can upload tomorrow for you folks to download. tons of stuff from brushes i've made and found, some M@ brushes and Sparth brushes from conceptart.org
they're good inspiration for some experimenting

i had an architecture tutorial from a while back, i'll find it and load it up

thanx ahead!
conceptart.org = amazing by the way.... just brilliant artists...

I'm really amazed with the work in this thread. When I was in the Fine Arts Department of my school, I'd rarely see work as strong as some of the stuff in here, and you guys keep pumping it out! Its always nice to see in art threads how everyone is generally appreciative, and the internet anonymous asshole rule is broken.

This thread is inspiring and I'd like to try to get into the digital painting side of things. I do have Photoshop (with a Wacom tablet), but didn't really understand its potential until seeing some of the work on here and random spots on the net.

I guess it would suit this thread, so I'm asking it here: would people mind sharing any communities, resources, links etc, that they might have available to someone trying to get back into the art community. I've really done mostly traditional 2-d stuff before, but I'd love to experiment with Photoshop, but don't really know where to begin for brush techniques and methods (whenever I've done Photoshop coloring, it tends to come off very pastel looking and I can't seem to blend colors on the computer well). I've tried googling some sites, but most of the results are really bad anime or comic book rip off styles that are even worse than the really cheap "how to draw this way" books that are all over the market.

So if anyone is inclined to include great resources, please do, I know I'll be going to this thread a lot to see all the work. Thanks guys.

God damn Sammy, you make me sick! :D

How long do you spend on your pieces?

I didn't get anything done today at work because I had to do work, and an excessive amount since my dickhead co-workers all bailed out when the workload reached critical mass. Leaving me like a ball bouncing off the bumpers in a pinball machine. >:|

sammy

EDIT:
k, they're down ... time to widdle that file size down, i have a few new brushes and i can compact all of mine into a file of their own.

mmmmmkay, get 'em while they's hot! it's a rather large file full of brushes ( 39.6mb )
I'll take them down once i experiment with new brushes which is pretty often, and then put more up. so if anyone wants to host, that would be very much appreciated :D

it's a grab-bag of a few PS default brushes (most PS defaults are Craig Mullin's from what i've learned) ...... and tons of random stamps/textures i've found over the internet. many brushes in the middle created by the very talented M@ and a few from the legendary Sparth. Tons of my brushes are at the very bottom, some made from scans of my marker work (inspired by David Downton's illustration) and some brushes i capture from my pencil hatchings ... then all kinds of stamps and junk I'm still experimenting with:

the basic round #19 is always a good one to get started with .... anyone familiar with Homeworld 1&2's animatics will know what that brush looks like :)

The Take Out Bandit --- it all depends, if it's a subject i'm familar with i can usually breeze through a quick painting. but i try a lot of unfamiliar stuff often, and never limit myself on time. it's good to admit when you're ignorant of a subject and take some time to do some research/reference.
The Tigrex illustration will probably be something i end up spending 15+ hours on (many different characters in that one, so i've been pausing the game a lot and referencing the concept-art book). while something like the little concept of the GF ship was from a scanned in thumbnail and once color was put down probably took 30+ min at most

sammy said:
mmmmmkay, get 'em while they's hot! it's a rather large file full of brushes ( 39.6mb )
I'll take them down once i experiment with new brushes which is pretty often, and then put more up. so if anyone wants to host, that would be very much appreciated :D

it's a grab-bag of a few PS default brushes (most PS defaults are Craig Mullin's from what i've learned) ...... and tons of random stamps/textures i've found over the internet. many brushes in the middle created by the very talented M@ and a few from the legendary Sparth. Tons of my brushes are at the very bottom, some made from scans of my marker work (inspired by David Downton's illustration) and some brushes i capture from my pencil hatchings ... then all kinds of stamps and junk I'm still experimenting with:

*right click save*
PHOTOSHOP brushes

the basic round #19 is always a good one to get started with .... anyone familiar with Homeworld 1&2's animatics will know what that brush looks like :)

The Take Out Bandit --- it all depends, if it's a subject i'm familar with i can usually breeze through a quick painting. but i try a lot of unfamiliar stuff often, and never limit myself on time. it's good to admit when you're ignorant of a subject and take some time to do some research/reference.
The Tigrex illustration will probably be something i end up spending 15+ hours on (many different characters in that one, so i've been pausing the game a lot and referencing the concept-art book). while something like the little concept of the GF ship was from a scanned in thumbnail and once color was put down probably took 30+ min at most

thank you. will experiment wit that!!

Top Bottom