• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Yep the dialogue is great. The game seems crazy good. Have you had any real problems with the controls?

It really hurts my hand after a while. Feels very cramped. I'll have a go with that ridiculous stand later on.

The on-foot stuff isn't really ideal either, but I'll have to play more before I draw any conclusion really.

Turn up the sound and watch in HD + full screen. I'm sorry if it's blurry or whatever. My work camera is ..at work. My iPhone had to do the job.

http://youtu.be/h_kwqehIG-4

Can't believe how ridiculous the dialogue is. Loving it!
Must resist urge to watch...

I did peek in a bit - sliding the intensity down, eh? ;-)

Have you tried higher intensity settings? How's the difficulty so far?

Buying Nintendo games in Germany usually makes for a pretty good deal. I got Mario Kart 7 for 33€, 3D Land for 35€ and Skyward Sword for 39€ all at launch. I like that about Nintendo games because you really don't have to worry too much about where and when to buy it. They have a fair price from the very beginning and usually don't drop a lot over time (if at all).

Kid Icarus on the other hand seems very expensive to me -- but I'm willing to wait and see if any good deals come up next week.
These are indeed good deals. Have seen KI for € 40 so far but that's only for pick-up (otherwise you'll have to add € 4 for p&p). Maybe MM will have some deals.

Ragus

Banned
Turn up the sound and watch in HD + full screen. I'm sorry if it's blurry or whatever. My work camera is ..at work. My iPhone had to do the job.

http://youtu.be/h_kwqehIG-4

Can't believe how ridiculous the dialogue is. Loving it!

227839420.gif

Azure J

Man, you guys talking about the humor and cast personalities are hyping me more than all the footage I've seen thus far. I'm so curious, but I must remain strong.

daffy

Banned
have you heard anything about the multiplayer experience , ranking, matchmaking, points system, any thing like that? thanks.

i hope communities are back. they said it would return.

linko9

Just saw an ad for this game during the Fla. State game. Glad they're advertising this game aggressively!

branny

Can someone please post a definitive answer on all the available control schemes?

We need input from both righties and lefties on each configuration in terms of functionality and comfort.

The game is only a week away, and I still feel like I'm in the dark. Is there face button movement for lefties who don't want to mess with the CPP? How does it work? Is it a decent alternative? A preferred alternative? Is the stylus-free control option viable? Which is most comfortable? Which is most effective? Etc., etc.

Conor 419

Banned
Haha, I love how much she bullies pit. It'll be cool if you can play as her/Medusa in multiplayer. Fuck it, Nintendo are doing DLC now, go for it chums.

Wait, you can turn off dialogue?!

A joke mail I sent earlier to NOA:
I asked:
Dear Masahiro Sakurai,
Would it be possible to have an option to switch to Japanese voice-overs?
I know it would be good if U.S. could keep using and improving our own voice actors, but quite frankly the English voice-overs and its dialogues at its current state distract me from enjoying the game fully...

Their reply:
Thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately, I would not be able to pass this email directly to Mr. Sakurai. As a rule, we do not forward ideas to our developers about games they are working on for a variety of reasons, but I appreciate your taking the time to share your suggestions with us. Rest assured that those who are currently designing and programming Kid Icarus: Uprising are among the best in the industry, tasked with creating the most enjoyable gaming experience possible. It's entirely possible that they have already thought of the same things you suggested!

As we get closer to the game's launch date, you can count on more information being revealed at our website (www.nintendo.com). Stay tuned!
Sincerely,

Alex Schuster
Nintendo of America Inc.

I can see how the on-foot controls arn't really hard but different, especially camera turning.
The enemies are wild and varied but actually fit this kind of game considering you have so
many weapon options and the original game was like that anyway.
With the amount of options, it looks like the start of the game is the lowest point till you find
your groove with the game.

Going to be playing this for a looooooooooooooooooooong time.

There we go. Three online wins out of three! I'm noting that IGN-Rich got 0 points in two matches ;P

It's as hectic as Smash Bros. I summoned a huge Monty Python-esque foot from the sky and made it stomp on people. No "communities" though. You can play with friends or with randoms and that's pretty much it.

You can use the gear you have from the single player though, and the more powerful the weapon you use, the more of the team's health bar will be drained when you die.

The on-foot controls are a problem, I must say. The game is screaming for a second analoge stick. I'll bust out the Circle Pad Pro when I get to work on monday.

There we go. Three online wins out of three! I'm noting that IGN-Rich got 0 points in two matches ;P

It's as hectic as Smash Bros. I summoned a huge Monty Python-esque foot from the sky and made it stomp on people. No "communities" though. You can play with friends or with randoms and that's pretty much it.

You can use the gear you have from the single player though, and the more powerful the weapon you use, the more of the team's health bar will be drained when you die.

The on-foot controls are a problem, I must say. The game is screaming for a second analoge stick. I'll bust out the Circle Pad Pro when I get to work on monday.

Can you play with friends on your team against randoms?

Or are friend matches and random matches kept separate?

The Lamp

Love the corny writing and dialogue, but man even watching that 8 minute video...I dunno. The enemy design looks like crap (as usual per Sakurai) and the ground gameplay looks really...awkward.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't know if I will be picking this game up because I'm a lefty. Been dreading the lack of handedness options since the 3DS was announced.

mu-chan

Neo Member

A few hours with the controls and it starts to click. A couple more and it starts to feel really good. A couple more and you start to realize Sakurai's genius--it becomes so intuitive and indispensable to success in the game. Go above intensity 7 and there's no WAY you could control the reticle fast enough with dual analog.

What the. You can offer some hearts to the goodesses and you won't get anything back. That's the weirdest menu option ever. "Hey, would you like to throw away all your money for no good reason?"

This is exhibit A on Sakurai's crappy enemy design.
Exhibit B is all of Subspace Emissary.

I have a hard time believing Sakurai's the one modeling the enemies in the game :p
Besides, the "Metroids" are in the first game as well.

That said, this game has a fuck ton of different enemies. It's pretty crazy, and many of them are indeed of terrible design, sorry to say. Oh well.

branny

I don't know if I will be picking this game up because I'm a lefty. Been dreading the lack of handedness options since the 3DS was announced.
Seriously, everything about this game seems wonderful, but whether or not the control options will be acceptable remains a mystery.

I'm extremely lefty (unlike others who claim to adapt fine with Wii controls and whatnot), but I'm buying this game Day 1. I plan to post my thoughts on the controls for those who'd like another perspective.

You can choose lefty mode.
We're asking for elaboration.

Top Bottom