• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Mascot

That's a deal with the UI really, which I hope has had a massive overhaul.

There are multiple reports that the UI has been overhauled and improved for pCARS 2. The first one received a LOT of complaints about general usability and it seems SMS are keen to address this.

Mascot

A self-proclaimed WMD2 user on GTP said this:

The videos above are from an internal presentation and were used in a temporary placeholder intro for the game. It's not a trailer, the announce trailer is done and should expect to see it sometime early Feb.

If he is to be believed: MORE GOODNESS INCOMING SOON.

fresquito

A self-proclaimed WMD2 user on GTP said this:

If he is to be believed: MORE GOODNESS INCOMING SOON.
I can confirm: This is the placeholder intro video. It's a bit old too. I don't know about any confirmed official trailer releasing early february, though (I'm not denying what this guy said, but I cannot confirm it either).

Mascot

I can confirm: This is the placeholder intro video. It's a bit old too. I don't know about any confirmed official trailer releasing early february, though (I'm not denying what this guy said, but I cannot confirm it either).

Turns out the guy who said about the 'official' launch trailer coming early Feb was the same guy that created this leaked intro, so that puts a little more weight behind his claim about February.

Same guy just said:

One thing I can say is when the official trailer does hit, it will be in 4K. So keep an eye out for that (even on a 1080p screen there is a benefit) , as it uses 5x bitrate of normal 1080p on youtube)

fresquito

Turns out the guy who said about the 'official' launch trailer coming early Feb was the same guy that created this leaked intro, so that puts a little more weight behind his claim about February.
That would be Ed Mas. He is not a WMD guy, he's from the staff. Super talented and nice guy, I must add.

fresquito

Yeah, I'm eager to see what he comes up with. Even if I can play the game right now, his trailers are awesome.

On a different note, one of the things that I've learned with being part of WMD is how little videogame fanatics know about videogame making, and how little respect they tend to have towards those making them. I mean, You go out on YT and see "Leaked OFFICIAL Trailer", when it is nothing but an inside video that was added to the builds just to test that the intro video code was working correctly. The guy that made this is very upset that people will judge this as an official work. He's got some pride, you know.

I won't even go about leaking stuff just for 5 mins of "glory"... I guess I'm getting older, lol.

_machine

Yeah, I'm eager to see what he comes up with. Even if I can play the game right now, his trailers are awesome.

On a different note, one of the things that I've learned with being part of WMD is how little videogame fanatics know about videogame making, and how little respect they tend to have towards those making them. I mean, You go out on YT and see "Leaked OFFICIAL Trailer", when it is nothing but an inside video that was added to the builds just to test that the intro video code was working correctly. The guy that made this is very upset that people will judge this as an official work. He's got some pride, you know.

I won't even go about leaking stuff just for 5 mins of "glory"... I guess I'm getting older, lol.
Yeah, I can concur that it can be quite crushing when something like that happens. It's such a shame, because for all of it's downsides, WMD as a plaform was and has been something quite amazing. For me, even though I really enjoyed pCARS and naturally got more back from the project than I would've even though, the journey itself was such an amazing experience that definitely helped me in my career (and the things in the development that didn't not seemingly work, gave me purpose in making things better in the industry).

Of course, at the same time with the more closed development of pCARS2, I do miss the active GAF thread we used to have, and the timed races and more. Having played the game in development, I do have very high hopes and I know that I'll once again be more than satisfied.

Mascot

I also can't wait to see what he's come up with. I thought this placeholder was pretty damn awesome.

One of my fondest memories in the pre-release buildup to pCARS was the phenomenal fan-made videos that sporadically appeared. They really did a fantastic job of promoting the game and building hype. Jonz came out with some crackers, but a lot of them were brilliant.

This one stuck in my memory. It's just so expertly crafted. Never gets old.

https://youtu.be/zDgAojJEVhA

Castef

Banned
Not the same people (not as many, with some returning and some new), and not in the same way (there's no financial return). But yes, there's a WMD2 for PC2. It's working far better than WMD1, though.

That was one of the worst aspects of the first game.

Every time someone mentioned Project Cars... BAM! "Excuse me, sir, do you have 5 minutes to talk about Project Cars?" :D

pCARS1 was a crossgen-game for majority of its development. It was built to be scalable and to run on 7th gen. The push for nextgen-only release happened very late. That will not be a issue for for pCARS2, they will aim for 8th gen from the start, and that will push the visual bar higher.
I hope so. The replays in particular were rubbish in comparison to GT games, so hopefully they can address that. Obviously the gamepad controls were terrible too, and the SP campaign mode needed a lot more polish, but everyone talks about those things so hopefully they get addressed. If they can nail those aspects, and GT Sport fails to deliver on the audio front, then Project Cars 2 could do very well on the PS4.

Well, I really thought this video might cause a bigger stir than it has..!
Is there really that much apathy?
Edit: I guess America hasn't woken up yet.
It wasn't anything special, all of the driving game trailers seem to look alike these days.

Can't wait to see the proper trailer 😮

With Sony fucking up their racing franchise, and Assetto Corsa being a pos, it's all on SMS to deliver dat bug free, fully featured, multi-class sim racing game on PS4. I hope they can achieve this and hit that september date.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

With Sony fucking up their racing franchise, and Assetto Corsa being a pos, it's all on SMS to deliver dat bug free, fully featured, multi-class sim racing game on PS4. I hope they can achieve this and hit that september date.

Bug free? Ahahaha. Pcars 2 will be a lot of things, but bug free it wont

New cars, new manufacturers, new tracks, snow, rally x, pick-up trucks, full seasonal changes to track environments, ice racing, dynamically forming puddles...

Are you sure you actually watched it?
Are those things unprecedented in a driving game? I wasn't really surprised by any of them.

02900aed820882ed98c13cc0c140016356e4d6a1b05add7d52de7d6784062503.jpg

I remember backing CARS 1 back in 2011 and getting access to their community forums. The community manager (or whatever his role was) was one of the most passive aggressive officials I've seen. Thank god the forums weren't public because that guy was not very likable.

fresquito

Are those things unprecedented in a driving game? I wasn't really surprised by any of them.
Seasonal changes are, as is the dynamic creation of puddles (not only puddles, puddles are but a small fraction of livetrack 3.0). I can see why people can not trust SMS, but you are denying the obvious.

Mascot

Well yes, many of them ARE unprecedented, and certainly in Project CARS. What other game has procedurally-generated puddles that form with increased rainfall? Or tracks that accurately reflect the time of year with dynamic environmental effects?

Edit: beaten like a ginger stepchild.

danowat

Banned
The cynic in me says all these little leaks and tidtits of info are controlled hype building techniques, but anyway......

Dynamic track and weather are extremely important, even a small amount of dynamic affects, like the TOD in PCars 1, has a huge affect on how each race pans out, dynamic puddles are seriously impressive, and should add a lot to the game, that kind of tech is what makes PCars stand out amongst the rest of the sim racing games.

Well yes, many of them ARE unprecedented, and certainly in Project CARS. What other game has procedurally-generated puddles that form with increased rainfall? Or tracks that accurately reflect the time of year with dynamic environmental effects?

Edit: beaten like a ginger stepchild.

I believe DRIVECLUB had this, harder it rained the bigger the puddles? Games still have a way to top their weather system IMHO but obviously the targeting of 30FPS helped them do crazy shit onscreen.

danowat

Banned
I believe DRIVECLUB had this, harder it rained the bigger the puddles? Games still have a way to top their weather system IMHO but obviously the targeting of 30FPS helped them do crazy shit onscreen.

Did they have an affect on the physics in DC?

Been a while since I played it.

terrible

Banned
I've been neglecting my racing sims for months now since I've been busy catching up on other games but it's cool that this seems to be getting relatively close to release. Even with its obvious issues I still really liked pCARS 1. I'm getting this game for sure.

I just want good FFB out of the box for pCARS 2, all this extra stuff is cool but I'm not super fussy overall personally. A big car and track roster is never a bad thing though, especially if they nail the controls with a controller. It'd stand a chance of stealing some Forza and GT fans if they do. If they don't get the controller stuff right it'll definitely remain a niche title for people with a wheel like myself imo.

What other game has procedurally-generated puddles that form with increased rainfall? Or tracks that accurately reflect the time of year with dynamic environmental effects?
Those are both nice I guess, but not OMG UNBELIEVABLE features, at least to me. Hopefully decent replays, gamepad controls, and SP campaign were all higher priorities.

Maybe the seasonal track changes will be a big deal; I come from a country where it doesn't snow during Winter and our native trees are all evergreen, so seasonal changes at our tracks don't really amount to shit :)

fresquito

Those are both nice I guess, but not OMG UNBELIEVABLE features, at least to me. Hopefully decent replays, gamepad controls, and SP campaign were all higher priorities.
I don't want to spoil anything, but this goes far, far, far beyond having aesthetic changes. Racing games tend to be "do this in this track with this car, and now do it x times". That's not what real driving is like. What you do in a real track depends on so many factors, from temps, to wetness, to dirt, to grip build up, to tyre temps and wear. If implemented properly, all these things together make it a game changer. I hope they accomplish their goal.

Now, of course, if controls are garbage, nothing of this will matter, but calling these nice features is a big understatement.

Savoury69

Neo Member
I also can't wait to see what he's come up with. I thought this placeholder was pretty damn awesome.

One of my fondest memories in the pre-release buildup to pCARS was the phenomenal fan-made videos that sporadically appeared. They really did a fantastic job of promoting the game and building hype. Jonz came out with some crackers, but a lot of them were brilliant.

This one stuck in my memory. It's just so expertly crafted. Never gets old.

https://youtu.be/zDgAojJEVhA

Wow, just wow... that video is simply outstanding!

(Buggers off to watch all his other stuff...)

Mascot

I hope they fix their UI, probably hurt the amount of time I put into the game more than the bugs.

I'm probably looking forward to seeing this more than a lot of other things, actually. The criticism of the first GUI has allegedly been taken on board so I'm looking for big improvements here, and not just on the front end menus. The whole logic process needs careful thought so that things like changing a livery should be quick and simple without having to drill down through multiple submenus or back out to the car selection screen. Even things like the pit stop menu need an overhaul to make them snappier and more intuitive during the heat of a race.

And for the love of God, bring the quick car selection screen kicking and screaming into the 21st century so it doesn't look like a school PowerPoint presentation with pictures straight from a 2003 Nokia.

_machine

And for the love of God, bring the quick car selection screen kicking and screaming into the 21st century so it doesn't look like a school PowerPoint presentation with pictures straight from a 2003 Nokia.
Hahaha, ice-cold, but quite apt.

I think the work-in-progress material looks pretty good, but of course implementation takes time and UI tools are generally shit across all engines I've ever seen, so unexpected cuts wouldn't be anything new. I really do hope they start showing something soon in public too.

Hopefully, loads of leaderboards with comprehensive filters too.

YESS! And leaderboards from all modes (not time-trial only, but showing in which mode and track condition the time was achieved) with lots of filter options (so you could have see the classic time-trial fixed-ToD/Temp/Fuel leaderboard as well). That would be fantastic. And I want either cross-platform leaderboards or friends-list social challenges (or bothi if possible). I would consider buying AC on console too, if it had those features.

Mascot

YESS! And leaderboards from all modes (not time-trial only, but showing in which mode and track condition the time was achieved) with lots of filter options (so you could have see the classic time-trial fixed-ToD/Temp/Fuel leaderboard as well). That would be fantastic. And I want either cross-platform leaderboards or friends-list social challenges (or bothi if possible). I would consider buying AC on console too, if it had those features.

The cost of server space always seems to be the catch-all excuse for limited leaderboards. I've never really understood this. Numbers take up very little storage surely..?

The cost of server space always seems to be the catch-all excuse for limited leaderboards. I've never really understood this. Numbers take up very little storage surely..?

It does make sense if you want to save replay data for ghosts and to DQ cheaters and find out how the game is being cheated on.
An HQ replay file in AC can be hundreds of MB at 333Hz (physics engine) in a long race with a big grid and all telemetry data saved.
But you could also save just positional and input data at 120Hz as well (if I'm not mistaken, you'd need at least double the refresh rate, but for server-based downloadable replays I'd be fine with 30fps replays) which would make for small files especially if it's only for one car and one lap.

Mascot

It does make sense if you want to save replay data for ghosts and to DQ cheaters and find out how the game is being cheated on.
An HQ replay file in AC can be hundreds of MB at 333Hz (physics engine) in a long race with a big grid and all telemetry data saved.
But you could also save just positional and input data at 120Hz as well (if I'm not mistaken, you'd need at least double the refresh rate, but for server-based downloadable replays I'd be fine with 30fps replays) which would make for small files especially if it's only for one car and one lap.
So ditch the ghosts and keep the times. You can't race a ghost in real life unless you are Scooby Doo, and he's a dog.

And a cartoon.

So ditch the ghosts and keep the times. You can't race a ghost in real life unless you are Scooby Doo, and he's a dog.

And a cartoon.

They should give us ghosts at least for times set in time-trial (like pCARS1) and for social challenges you can set-up and make available to your friend list.
You know... throw us a Scooby snack
giphy.gif

Edit: If not, you can always race King Boo in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Switch
jpg

Top Bottom