• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

I'm always amazed at these games that I used to see by the dozens regularly when i went game hunting back in the early 2000s for under $5 and what they go for now. I thought ristar was a regular run of the mill $10 genesis game, maybe $20-$30 complete. I'm out of touch with retro prices on systems i don't collect for.

Thats about what I feel the game should be worth. Not really sure what happened, but $100+ complete? Gaming Historian did a video back in 2015, but something happened over the summer where the price just shot up.

the Two Crude Dudes of 2017!

We need less Dude-Bro & more Crude Dudes nowadays.

IrishNinja

Thats about what I feel the game should be worth. Not really sure what happened, but $100+ complete? Gaming Historian did a video back in 2015, but something happened over the summer where the price just shot up.

We need less Dude-Bro & more Crude Dudes nowadays.

agreed on both fronts - ive personally gone all in on everdrivers & am patiently waiting for the bubble to burst & see more genny/SMS games back in my $5-10 range.

it's no fun scouring ebay to catch something for sub 50 when i knew it was 20 complete for a decade and a half...if i didn't need it during that window, i can wait.

agreed on both fronts - ive personally gone all in on everdrivers & am patiently waiting for the bubble to burst & see more genny/SMS games back in my $5-10 range.

it's no fun scouring ebay to catch something for sub 50 when i knew it was 20 complete for a decade and a half...if i didn't need it during that window, i can wait.

Yeah, i dont buy nearly as much as i use to, but i also have so much of what i want, i don't mind waiting on them. Splatterhouse 2 is the only big title i still want that commands money, and i'll get it in due time.

Its why i've enjoyed getting Game Gear stuff.

I honestly don't see that happening. Most carts are now either thrown away/destroyed or in private collections. You'd have to get to a situation where collectors start flooding the market with copies for that to happen. That seems unlikely. There's also a problem of distribution/easy access to copies since there's no official market for those games anymore.

IrishNinja

I honestly don't see that happening. Most carts are now either thrown away/destroyed or in private collections. You'd have to get to a situation where collectors start flooding the market with copies for that to happen. That seems unlikely. There's also a problem of distribution/easy access to copies since there's no official market for those games anymore.

there's gonna be stuff that stays in demand, sure - SNES might hold more than some others, but you can't convince me there's gonna be more demand than supply of Psycho Fox or ToeJam & Earl in 10-20 years. those titles in particular might not drop to late 90s/early aughts prices but they damn sure won't stay as inflated as the reseller market is currently seeing, you know? collectors will stay hoarding but while they're playing their part in driving prices up, sellers are still all over ebay/etc with supply for most titles.

now, take US saturn & turbo scenes...those i think have less chance of going back down to where they were forever, honestly. many titles - even the more common ones here - saw relatively (compared to bigger selling systems) small print runs, so even when a big part of the market inevitably moves on, there still might easily be enough interest for what's left to keep prices high.

note that much of the argument i'm making is more for games like Wonder Dog than Snatcher, mind.

there's gonna be stuff that stays in demand, sure - SNES might hold more than some others, but you can't convince me there's gonna be more demand than supply of Psycho Fox or ToeJam & Earl in 10-20 years. those titles in particular might not drop to late 90s/early aughts prices but they damn sure won't stay as inflated as the reseller market is currently seeing, you know? collectors will stay hoarding but while they're playing their part in driving prices up, sellers are still all over ebay/etc with supply for most titles.

now, take US saturn & turbo scenes...those i think have less chance of going back down to where they were forever, honestly. many titles - even the more common ones here - saw relatively (compared to bigger selling systems) small print runs, so even when a big part of the market inevitably moves on, there still might easily be enough interest for what's left to keep prices high.

note that much of the argument i'm making is more for games like Wonder Dog than Snatcher, mind.

Totally get where you're coming from. But I think that in 10-20 years many more copies of those fairly inexpensive games are going to be destroyed, lost or thrown away. I mean, nobody's going to hold on to all those copies of FIFA 2002 for years.

So in a decade (or two) you may get the same phenomenon as the one you see now with US Saturn. With supply and demand lower in absolute terms, but still similar to the situation atm in relative terms.

I don't want to preorder Paprium with that high price tag, so I'm gonna wait on impressions. Looks really cool though, and that neon color palette reminds me of some stages in Eternal Champions, lol.

Shaneus

Ugh, so finally got a SCART RGB cable for my MD1, hook it up to both of my PVMs (both of which are untested up to this point) and literally nothing appears on the screen. I hear the weird degaussing sound powering them up, but that's it :/

So off to troubleshooting I go, was really hoping to have them up and running to post some sexy PVM goodness here. Guess that'll have to wait.

dubc35

I know you said literally nothing, but not even a "no sync" on the lower left? May want to hit up the Retro AV club thread.

Shaneus

I know you said literally nothing, but not even a "no sync" on the lower left? May want to hit up the Retro AV club thread.
Might have to. There is literally nothing, as if there isn't even any power going to the tube. I don't even know if these monitors have an OSD or not anyway, so who knows.

I did get them as a pair quite cheap on eBay ($80AU for two 14 inch monitors), so I'm not discounting the SCART/RGB cable being faulty. So I'm going to try some component cables with this TV and see how I go.

IrishNinja

Totally get where you're coming from. But I think that in 10-20 years many more copies of those fairly inexpensive games are going to be destroyed, lost or thrown away. I mean, nobody's going to hold on to all those copies of FIFA 2002 for years.

So in a decade (or two) you may get the same phenomenon as the one you see now with US Saturn. With supply and demand lower in absolute terms, but still similar to the situation atm in relative terms.

you may be right here, i guess i'm just wondering how many people will care at that point? you're prolly not wrong to say "more than the number of people who did at the point you're highlighting" but i guess i'm trying to stay optimistic about it

I don't want to preorder Paprium with that high price tag, so I'm gonna wait on impressions. Looks really cool though, and that neon color palette reminds me of some stages in Eternal Champions, lol.

man, EC doesn't get any love, haha...and it's not like it's going anywhere so you might have a good call here, i just invested early cause Pier Solar was quality and i'm excited about the aftermarket scene pushing a high-quality beat-em-up

Shaneus

Got there eventually! First tested composite, thankfully worked okay. Then got some kind of display with component, but nothing solid. Then tried RGB again, and while I was about to try something with the sync out, I found that having literally anything connected to the sync out (even a BNC to RCA adaptor, with nothing connected!) shows the full picture. That looks like this:
tkaQtxRh.jpg

So I'm super stoked, looks way better than I expected. I have joined the club!

Galdelico

^ Groovy!

And... Genesis-GAF, I need your help once again. :D

I recently started to collect for the US Genesis too - in order to expand my Japanese-only Mega Drive collection - and I picked up 4 games so far: Desert Strike (which I found a brand new, cardboard-box version of), Eternal Champions, Red Zone and Ex Mutants (once again brand new).

Now, my main focus is to get the games 100% complete - including all kinds of extras/goodies/posters and whatnot they originally came with - and I think I overlooked other aspects. I literally just noticed one thing about the boxes/clamshells, that I'm completely clueless about.

I'm aware of the many different Japanese box variants - Taito, Capcom, Namcot, SEGA... - but not so much about US ones. I opened up Ex Mutants and I see it comes in a SEGA labeled clamshell, whereas both Eternal Champions and Red Zone - althought they're like new, and complete with everything as intended (posters, ads, reg cards...) - come in a case which looks exactly like those (pics aren't mine, they are from eBay auctions):
- pic 1
- pic 2

They don't look like modern replacement boxes, so I'm curious about where they may come from.

Thanks in advance guys. ^_-

Krelian

I'm not an expert on Genesis releases but could they be re-released games? Apparently some time into the Genesis' lifespan Majesco re-released certain games with reduces manufacturing costs, which also explain the manuals in black-and-white. I don't think I've ever seen generic boxes like that with PAL releases.

Got there eventually! First tested composite, thankfully worked okay. Then got some kind of display with component, but nothing solid. Then tried RGB again, and while I was about to try something with the sync out, I found that having literally anything connected to the sync out (even a BNC to RCA adaptor, with nothing connected!) shows the full picture. That looks like this:

So I'm super stoked, looks way better than I expected. I have joined the club!

Looks great! congrats on the dual PVM's

Galdelico

I'm not an expert on Genesis releases but could they be re-released games? Apparently some time into the Genesis' lifespan Majesco re-released certain games with reduces manufacturing costs, which also explain the manuals in black-and-white. I don't think I've ever seen generic boxes like that with PAL releases.

I've tried to gather some informations, but nothing solid so far... There seem to be differently 'branded' boxes for the Genesis too (Konami, Namco, EA, etc.), but I can't find anything about the nameless ones.

As for the cheaper re-releases, all I know is there were actually different versions of some games - usually one that came in a hard clamshell, and a reprint in a cardboard box (or was it viceversa?) - but neither of my two games seems a reprint. Sure Eternal Champions has a b/w manual - but I believe it's supposed to be like that - while the cover is in color, and comes with and ad and a double sided poster/software catalog. There's a cardboard box edition too, but it's different all around. As for Red Zone, I guess there's only one print available (once again, my copy came with alot of extra paper in it), but I may be wrong.
I would rule out the possibility they are rentals - as they are both in immaculate conditions, and according to the seller, they come from another collector - or repros (they're fairly cheap games).

Edit - I don't own PAL games yet, so I can't compare

Shaneus

Looks great! congrats on the dual PVM's
Thanks! It's on default settings too, so I'm sure I can get it looking slightly better.

Just thinking about what to do with the second one now. Tossing up between Saturn, PS1, maybe Dreamcast or maybe getting it working with PC (for emulation).

Given the Saturn's propensity for insane 2D, might go for that.

Shaneus

Saturn 2D is good, but its RGB output is godly. That was the first thing I hooked up to my PVM and it left the best first impression ever.
Sweet. Now I just need to work out why there's a difference between PAL and NTSC RGB cables and if it matters when I region mods my console.

Leynos

Genesis and Saturn, both are stunners in RGB.

I am (slowly) getting myself ready for RGB. I have a model 1 that is S-video modded, but it doesn't work with the 32X that I bought recently, so I bought another model 1 that was recapped. In addition, I bought a EuroSCART cable, and a combo power cord to replace the three huge wall warts. Everything should be in the post now, but I am missing the final, and most expensive, piece of the puzzle: a Framemeister. I had my finger over the purchase button yesterday, but I chickened out as the cost of the thing plus shipping would bring it close to $400, and it is back-ordered until June. I keep telling myself that I need to buy it now as it will be discontinued soon, and I do not know if Micomsoft is working on a replacement.

As for the Saturn, I am waiting to buy a Rhea, or a Phoebe before I purchase the actual system.

I keep vacillating between spending the money, or not as I balk at the prices of the hardware, and games, and just tell myself that Virtual Console, and other emulators are good enough, but I love the physical hardware! Help me, GAF!

Krelian

I've tried to gather some informations, but nothing solid so far... There seem to be differently 'branded' boxes for the Genesis too (Konami, Namco, EA, etc.), but I can't find anything about the nameless ones.
I stand corrected. I do have PAL games in blank clamshell boxes but they look a little different than yours.

Super Fantasy Zone
Gauntlet IV

They're two variations of unbranded boxes and from my quick eBay comparison at least Super Fantasy Zone is not supposed to be in a blank box but rather a Sega branded one. I'm not sure why but knowing it's not in the correct box bothers me :(

Also, I found these custom boxes that look suspiciously like the ones from your example. If I had to guess they're the ones you have but you'd have to compare yourself to be sure.

Everything should be in the post now, but I am missing the final, and most expensive, piece of the puzzle: a Framemeister. I had my finger over the purchase button yesterday, but I chickened out as the cost of the thing plus shipping would bring it close to $400, and it is back-ordered until June. I keep telling myself that I need to buy it now as it will be discontinued soon, and I do not know if Micomsoft is working on a replacement.
Have you thought about getting an OSSC instead? It's a bit cheaper and might be a good alternative.

Galdelico

I stand corrected. I do have PAL games in blank clamshell boxes but they look a little different than yours.

Super Fantasy Zone
Gauntlet IV

They're two variations of unbranded boxes and from my quick eBay comparison at least Super Fantasy Zone is not supposed to be in a blank box but rather a Sega branded one. I'm not sure why but knowing it's not in the correct box bothers me :(

Also, I found these custom boxes that look suspiciously like the ones from your example. If I had to guess they're the ones you have but you'd have to compare yourself to be sure.

You've been super helpful.
Actually, I can confirm that both my Genesis brandless cases are the exact same kind of that one you have for Gauntlet. Not only they look the same (only difference is mine have the hangtab), but they even come with the same code/number printed on the inner spine.

Still not sure whether or not they are legit, but at least they seem fairly common.
Thank you again. ^_-

Edit - I'm the kind of ocd collector who buys registration cards/posters/insets separately to complete a game (or original foam bricks for long-boxes which didn't come with their own one), so it bothers me a bit as well, but it's not a huge deal if you think about it. If they were exclusive clamshells (with a specific non-SEGA brand), or cases for some ultra-collectible games, I'd definitely want to track a few original replacements down, but for titles such as Eternal Champions... Well, I'd rather keep a mint and good quality custom box (if that's the case), over a poorer/damaged original one.

Krelian

Glad to be of help. Yeah, I'll keep the box of my Super Fantasy Zone. It does look like an ordinary Sega branded box otherwise.

Leynos

Have you thought about getting an OSSC instead? It's a bit cheaper and might be a good alternative.

I have, but I want an upscaler that upscales to 1080p, not just 720p.

In other news, I discovered that my new 32X was defective, and now have a replacement.

IrishNinja

Leynos

ah, what was wrong with the 32X?

It would get to the TMSS screen, and sometimes to the Sega logo, but, except in rare cases, no further. This happens when I tried the 32X in two different Genesis units. Both systems work on their own so it isn't a problem with my Genesises, er, Genisi, or whatever, but with the 32X. I went back to the retro game store, and they swapped it out with a functional unit.

It does feature line 4x and 5x modes with the latest firmware: https://www.videogameperfection.com/2017/02/15/quadruple-beyond-pushed/

Line quadruple with a 320x240 image results in a 1280 x 960 output image. But it's not the same as a standard 1080p picture of course.

It seems that it can do 1080p, but it crops the image, so that is a no-go for me. OSSC also does 1600 x 1200, which my monitor is capable of displaying so that is a bit intriguing. It is, however, an older monitor like the link mentions, and I would like to replace it with something newer. I still think that the Framemeister would suit my needs better.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So march is finished, and I hope everybody had fun with Ristar which imo was a pretty interesting game. Now its april and Marvel Land is the new choosen one as it was second in the voting. I am in Paris for the whole month with no game consoles, so wont be able to join myself, but hope you guys are having fun with it!

So... X-Men: The Clone Wars. Is there any other game out there, that when you turn it on, you're automatically supposed to start playing? You don't see the title screen until you past the first level. It's weird I can't think of any other game that does this.

Timu

So... X-Men: The Clone Wars. Is there any other game out there, that when you turn it on, you're automatically supposed to start playing? You don't see the title screen until you past the first level. It's weird I can't think of any other game that does this.
It's one of the only games that does that, and each time you start up the character is randomized.

Snippets from my yesterday's Mega Drive night:

And, spoliers, just in case...

looking goood! nice Galdelico =)

i need to buy this game

IrishNinja

Clone Wars is such a huge jump over part 1, it's crazy

also i must have rented Marvel Land at least twice in the day, never did end up owning that one but it's an interesting game!

It would get to the TMSS screen, and sometimes to the Sega logo, but, except in rare cases, no further. This happens when I tried the 32X in two different Genesis units. Both systems work on their own so it isn't a problem with my Genesises, er, Genisi, or whatever, but with the 32X. I went back to the retro game store, and they swapped it out with a functional unit.

Alot of times with the 32X they aren't actually broken. There's two ribbon cables inside the 32X that I have no idea why, but they come loose slightly over time. 9 times out of 10 if you have a 32X that isn't working, or just not booting, opening them up and reseating those two cables fixes the problem.

If the noise varies in pitch and volume depending on what's on screen, the common reason is the Composite signal bleeding into the audio wires in your terribly designed RGB cable. A vsync cable or a properly shielded cable (with coax wires) should remove any interference you hear.

Ive ruled this out because I bought a replacement ac adapter which removes the audio buzz, but introduces two wonderful lines of static that run along the screen when powered on.

Why is it so hard to find a good quality genesis power cable?

I bought this one thinking it met all the specifications but it screws with the video signal.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HI6T5MM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also the RGB cable I use on genesis came from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ which is a very reputable seller and it's worked for years until recently.

I always suggest Retro Game Supply (if you're not located in the EU, they ship overseas too). I've been using one of their all-in-one PSU for my Japanese Mega Drive 2 + Mega CD 2 - only for convenience and space-saving, as both my original power bricks worked fine - and it works flawlessly. IIRC, a few gaffers purchased from them, and they all reported back very positive impressions.

I'll pick up the genesis 1 and sega cd combo, I used to own a sega cd but got rid of it because i wasn't using it.

Voliko

Landstalker:

Am I missing something? I started this a couple of days ago. Got past the swamp dungeon. Not really sure if I should keep going. The controls work but still feel awkward at times. The combat is terrible, pretty much every enemy so far can be beat by standing still and mashing A. I only have to change this strategy if a second enemy decides to fight on a different side. The music is ok to good, sometimes repetitive. The graphics are decent but Nigel looks goofy as hell.

There are some clever gameplay elements in the dungeons, but then again there's a bunch of rooms where you just clear out all the enemies. Even the parts where you have to dodge obstacles or what not, the only punishment is losing a little health. You have access to a lot of health items, and you get revived if you die when having one on you.

Does it get any better? Is this worth playing?

Krelian

^ Probably not if you're not having fun. It's been a while since I played it but I remember having fun right from the start.

Has anyone started this month's game of the month yet? I'll start this weekend. Just interested in people's opinions :)

I also noticed that the topic hasn't been changed yet.

I doubt I'll play this months game since I'm in Japan and can't find it here. I doubt I'll be able to get it in time if I can't find it these next few days.

Landstalker:

Am I missing something? I started this a couple of days ago. Got past the swamp dungeon. Not really sure if I should keep going. The controls work but still feel awkward at times. The combat is terrible, pretty much every enemy so far can be beat by standing still and mashing A. I only have to change this strategy if a second enemy decides to fight on a different side. The music is ok to good, sometimes repetitive. The graphics are decent but Nigel looks goofy as hell.

There are some clever gameplay elements in the dungeons, but then again there's a bunch of rooms where you just clear out all the enemies. Even the parts where you have to dodge obstacles or what not, the only punishment is losing a little health. You have access to a lot of health items, and you get revived if you die when having one on you.

Does it get any better? Is this worth playing?

Other than awkward jumping, I thought it was great. If it isn't clicking for you, you might as well quit now and try something else.

Leynos

Alright, so things are coming together. I received my all-in-one power supply for my Genesis/32X/CD monstrosity from retrogamesupply.com, and it makes things so much easier. I also received a Genesis-to-32X patch cable with stereo, and a SCART cable from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk. I can't use the SCART cable yet as I don't have an upscaler, so I will have to stick with composite on a shitty TV for the time being.

My newly recapped Genesis is working great, and it was a relief to learn that my Sega CD that was sitting in a box actually works. I tried Surgical Strike, and I am quite enjoying the bombastic nature of the game. Shit blows up, real good!

I also received some games:
- Twin Cobra - a basic vertical shooter. Meh.
- Pac-Man 2: The Adventures of Pac-Man - I am surprised that this seems to be an adventure game, and not an arcade game. Don't think that I will play it again.
- Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday - an RPG, not to my liking.
- Alien 3 - A decent enough game, but I had my fill of it years ago.
- T2: The Arcade Game - Fun, but short. I was able to finish the game in a single sitting despite not having played it in about 20 years. Except for that damn third level with the aerial HKs shooting at the pick-up truck; I have never been able to finish that level without a cheat.
- Pebble Beach Golf - snooze-fest. I am surprised that it has battery back-up that still works.
- Sonic 3 - I already have a copy.
- Sonic and Knuckles - another duplicate. Battery back-up still works. The previous owner is a much better Sonic player as he/she had multiple saves with all of the chaos emeralds.

I tried my copy of Star Wars The Arcade Game for the 32X, and I am surprised at the poor framerate. I must have been much more forgiving back then as it almost makes the game unplayable.

I also have Shadow Squadron, and I will have to spend more time with this one. My very brief time showed that it could be fun if I figure out the controls.

Finally, there is Metal Head. Despite the bad framerate, pop-in, and glacial pace, I am having fun. It probably is because I am a sucker for anything 'mech, and can forgive most deficiencies as long as it has a theme that I enjoy.

Now, to somehow get a few hundred bucks together, and get myself a Framemeister Mini.

Edit: Oh, and I am trying out my new controller: the Asciipad SG 6.

800px-ASCIIPadMD6.jpg

I will have to spend more time with it, but I like that it is a 6-button controller with turbo function (as an aside, fuck first-party manufacturers for not making this a standard feature!) in a SNES configuration. The D-pad seems to work well, but the actual face buttons require very little depression to activate. I don't know if that is a positive, or negative yet.

Galdelico

^^^ Great stuff, you have tons to enjoy. :)
It's always interesting to me to see different/third party controllers... I've been this close to get a couple of those asciiPads as well, but never pulled the trigger due to the not ideal (very subjective, of course) buttons layout. I love the shape, though.

Also, not 'news' by any means - and I'm sure I'm the only one who didn't know about it - but I just found out that there was a complete Genesis/Mega Drive version of Indiana Jones - Greatest Adventures, which was canned for whatever reason. It looked pretty great too. Such a shame it didn't get released.

I could've sworn somebody said they were dumping that at some point. I wonder what came of that... (Presumably nothing the rest of us get to see.)

Galdelico

I mean, I read that on the comments' section of this YT video, so I take it for what it is... Someone said the game's showcase happened during a Gamescom event, hosted by Factor 5 people themselves, who pretty much confirmed they wouldn't dump the rom any time soon.

Top Bottom