• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

You don't get how a sidescroller, a rpg, and easily defined games play? Did you lose your glasses? I understand that we can't expect much from your post considering they're more predictable than Nintendo's 1st party lineup, but you could at least pretend to not be an immature child.

Hahahah. What the hell?

Xamdou

Pikman 3, Zelda WW HD and the new monolith game are enough for me to buy one... But I will wait for a price drop around $200

Decado

Really, thus far there are two things that Nintendo has done that make buying a WiiU a possibility for me:

- Bringing back their quality 2D platformers in HD.
- Rescuing Bayonetta 2

The other Nintendo big sellers don't really interest me. I'd like them to do HD remakes of their old 2D classic SNES Metroid and Zelda games, though. New Zelda doesn't interest me.

Not enough to buy a console just yet, but I'm honestly considering my next gen setup to include PC/PS4/WiiU rather than PC/PS4/720. It really depends on how the M$ exclusives turn out...and whether the ones I'm interested in head to the PC (which they should, IMO, since they are being developed by PC developers...bastards).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No. I am sure I'll buy one eventually, but nothing about that did anything for me, really.

Wind Waker HD- Looks worse than the original to me. And when you're talking about the worst 3d Zelda game that's only propped up for its art style, that's kind of bad.

Fire Emblem X SMT - Weird! But this could be awesome. When I buy a Wii U, I shall buy this.

X - Looks awesome.

That's still not enough for me right now though, and X and FExSMT are probably a ways off. I will say, I'm glad that everything seems to be getting a NA announcement though.

Just back away.

I had to go through pretty much the same thing in another thread.

Obvious that many don't want you to die down their hype if you feel differently. I mean, some of the arguments don't even make sense.

Haha. Yeah, I understand that dynamic, but the thread itself is about your own personal impressions of the event. Whether I want to buy something or not shouldn't really affect them this much. Shit's weird.

Just back away.

I had to go through pretty much the same thing in another thread.

Obvious that many don't want you to die down their hype if you feel differently. I mean, some of the arguments don't even make sense.

You mean the topic where everyone is calling you out for being a hypocrite and making zero sense?

Yes.

amekbv.gif

Nessus

Not yet, but they're getting there.

If, against all odds, they use the opportunity of the Wind Waker remake to actually *finish* the game, to complete and include the two dungeons that were cut, and shorten/streamline the Triforce hunt, then that alone would convince me, as Wind Waker would have been my favorite game of all time if it hadn't been released in an unfinished state.

Other than that, though they're being Nintendo as usual, and making some really awful choices already.

So I was one of the comparatively few people who supported Virtual Console and stand alone Wii Shop games and you're telling me I have to pay for those games all over again? The only "discount" I would even consider accepting would be like a 30 cent fee to cover the bandwidth, and even that would be garbage.

I wish I could understand Nintendo's aversion to just merging the old Wii account with the Wii U one and importing all the games. It's not that they can't, they've already allowed you to tie your Wii account to your Nintendo.com account. The games I've purchased show up there.

I won't be rebuying any Virtual Console games, though. And this makes me VERY hesitant to buy any of the new ones, since apparently Nintendo has no interest in rewarding their supporters.

Also, staggered release of the old VC lineup we've already seen, bad idea. It should launch with every game they still have the rights to, period.

uzit88

I will defiantly be buying a console as soon as date for either Wind Waker HD or the new 3D Mario game is announced.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Nopes! They didn't announce anything of interest to me. Must be to soon for an Animal Crossing U huh? An we already knew Smash was coming so that dun count. To be fair, looking over at my Gamecube game collection theres few console Nintendo games I even care about.

Handheld games are where they shine but I believe there are some handheld series they could bring home if they tried. A console Golden Sun game would be glorious. And I think that thanks to the gamepad, the Pokémon Ranger series could move away from handhelds (also has the benefit of freeing up a slot for a new kind of portable PKMN spinoff) and become even larger, longer, an greater on console!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, they have.

I plan on importing a Japanese unit within the next couple of months. They showed that they actually care about putting out games with their Nintendo Direct last night.

And they recognized that their menu loading times are unacceptable, so that's nice.

Bgamer90

Banned
You mean the topic where everyone is calling you out for being a hypocrite and making zero sense?

Haha, yeah, what I said in that thread didn't make any sense and I'm being a hypocrite.

You guys are being perfectly fine and reasonable even though you are being super defensive over simple, easy to understand statements just because they are different from the way you feel.

::Sigh:: ...Things are going to get so ugly come E3 time.

Jarnet87

nintendo direct has justified my purchase crew checking in. We get Monster Hunter in March to hold us over till the bombas hit.

LeleSocho

Banned
Hahahah. What the hell?

Hey you said you couldn't understand the gameplay from these short videos but really there are only 2 games announced today that you might not know how to play them unless you are really dumb...
let's do a recap shall we?
Bayonetta 2: it plays pretty much like Bayonetta
Smash Bros: it plays pretty much like Brawl and Melee
X: it plays pretty much like Xenoblade
Yarn Yoshi: it's a 2d platform... no much more explanation needed here but if you really want we can say that it will likely play like Kirby Epic Yarn
Wind Waker HD: it's Wind Waker... in hd
Mario Kart: it plays pretty much like any other Mario Kart
New Zelda: unknown since they said they are reworking on the basic gameplay
New Mario: it might play like the Galaxy games or the 64/GCN ones maybe something new
Shin Megami TenseiXFire Emblem: unknown maybe some sort of SRPG but might be totally something else.

So...? You really can't understand how's the gameplay of these games? You can have over 999999 other reasons for Nintendo not convincing you to buy the system (graphics is a totally legit one if you ask me) but you've picked the only one that doesn't make sense.

These are the kind of announcements it needed. I'm not interested in buying one right now with the current pricing and even with this new library, but a couple more years of support like this and I will definitely pick one up. I don't consider it a viable platform at all until these announcements.

Mr. Fix

Depends on the general release date for the titles, but it may end up being sooner rather than later. It'll be my next home console for sure though.

What they essentially did was acknowledge what most people knew - Wii U flopped out of the gate in a way they clearly weren't expecting. So they're doing something they've never done in the past - making their console roadmap public in one shot instead of dripping it out each E3 in the hopes that it will spur on console sales now rather than people waiting for a price drop before the actual games come out. The downside of doing this I fear is it all but ensures third parties won't be taking the Wii U seriously. If they weren't already. In other words, it's the Gamecube. Not bad news at all if you live for Nintendo-made games. I'm personally Mario-ed out and hope they focus a lot more on developing new IPs instead of repackaging old ones. I realize I'm in the minority there.

why are people re posting this ? This looks bland and empty as hell

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like Generic Game 2000 that sells poorly on 360/PS3 already.

syoaran

Nintendo have convinced me that for that moment, they have an iron lock over the titles I want to play. Platinum games seem to have throwing their weight behind it, X is exactly the type of title I want to play, Capcom are bring Monster Hunter. All thats missing is Level5 and I'm sure they will start showing new software for the device in a year or so.

I care only for the games, and Nintendo have proven that I'll find them on the Wii U in the future

Hey you said you couldn't understand the gameplay from these videos but really there are only 2 games announced today that you might not know how to play them unless you are really dumb...
let's do a recap shall we?
Bayonetta 2: it plays pretty much like Bayonetta
Smash Bros: it plays pretty much like Brawl and Melee
X: it plays pretty much like Xenoblade
Yarn Yoshi: it's a 2d platform... no much more explanation needed here but if you really want we can say that it will likely play like Kirby Epic Yarn
Wind Waker HD: it's Wind Waker... in hd
Mario Kart: it plays pretty much like any other Mario Kart
New Zelda: unknown since they said they are reworking on the basic gameplay
New Mario: it might play like the Galaxy games or the 64/GCN ones maybe something new
Shin Megami TenseiXFire Emblem: unknown maybe some sort of SRPG but might be totally something else.

So...? You really can't understand how's the gameplay of these games?

This is incredible. I'll try to simplify this as much as I can.

I understand how the games play. What I do not understand is if they play in such a way that would make me want to purchase them (or an entirely new system because of them). I don't buy games just because they're NEW games in a series, I buy them because they appear to play well and appeal to me. That takes either my hands on experience or a selection of previews. I'm sorry you wasted your time.

I also find it hilarious how "same ol, same ol" is offensive, and then I get a bunch of explanations on how games play just like their prior iterations.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I always knew it would eventually have great games. That seemed a no brainer. Every console does. However, some of these titles look a long ways off, and I'll wait for a price drop before a get one.

Skyzard

Banned
Last few years I've felt Nintendo doesn't give any priority to the hardcore fans, mostly due to their hardware choices (and what it meant for all the games), no new decent ips and with third party set to dwindle again following next gens arrival I can't keep getting a Nintendo console each time just for Mario galaxy and Mario kart... Especially not when they charge so much for something that feels a lot more outdated. These days I can't really afford to bite on Nintendo, although of course I want one.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I am thinking 2015 might be the year for me to get a Wii U. A price drop or 2 and zelda will be out meaning all the heavy hitters from nintendo will be out on the Wii U. This year is saving up for the PS4 and a few launch titles.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think I already knew I'd get one eventually, but I'm a bit more excited about it now. Still think it might be a couple years, though. I like to have a decent size library of games already available when I buy a system.

If anyone isn't convinced now, then they weren't going to buy one to begin with (which is perfectly fine).

I like this response. I just don't think a Nintendo console is for me. I like Microsoft's and Sony's first party games better and I enjoy the multiplatform games that come to those systems better as well.

The Wii U has some pretty awesome games, but they are mostly not aimed at me. Some games do peak my interest like the Lego City game though.

LeleSocho

Banned
This is incredible. I'll try to simplify this as much as I can.

I understand how the games play. What I do not understand is if they play in such a way that would make me want to purchase them. I don't buy games just because they're NEW games in a series, I buy them because they appear to play well. That takes either my hands on experience or a selection of previews. I'm sorry you wasted your time.

I also find it hilarious how "same ol, same ol" is offensive, and then I get a bunch of explanations on how games play just like their prior iterations.

Since this makes sense i'm totally ok with this (i partially agree too) but i would like to suggest next time to explain yourself better because "I have no indications on how the game plays from short videos" and "I want to try them first to see if i like them" are totally different things and don't be upset if you will be attacked because instead of explaining yourself better you response is "hahahah wth".

El-Suave

Yes, the contents and tone of the recent Nintendo Direct went a long way towards convincing me to pick up a Wii U some time this year. I was always going to buy one eventually, but I wasn't sure when. I'm still not in a hurry, but I'm more optimistic about the system now.

Rpgmonkey

I always intended to get one, but similar to what I've done with all the game systems I've purchased (and also plan to do with Sony and Microsoft's consoles in addition to Nintendo's), I'm not interested in buying one so soon after launch.

And also like I've done with previous game systems, I'll buy the consoles once some or all of the games I'm interested in have released, not based on future promises/potential, or the capabilities of the hardware.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
They convinced me when they announced it, but they have not convinced me to buy it before summer yet. Ok, maybe march.

Top Bottom