• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Wes

venison crêpe
So who is watching the olympics?

Murray looks really rattled in this first set. The other guy had 4 set points.... and Lu just converted his 4th set point in the tiebreak.

Koshiro

Murray just didn't give a shit, it seems his mind is on the US Open. Thing is, why even bother turning up if you're not going to TRY?

Sigh.

Peru

I've watched some.. missed Vaidisova's choke, luckily. Is Murray playing right now? Can't find that game anywhere.

edit: Oh, that Murray comment was a few hours ago. Poor showing.

Koshiro

Wes said:
Hopefully the Murray brothers will fair better in the doubles.
Yeah they won 4-6 6-3 6-4. Still very annoyed at Murray for half-arsing his singles match. I guess he feels he has to do it for his brother in doubles, whereas in singles he didn't give a shit about a medal. I do despair, I hope he gives a shit when he goes to the US Open.

_Frank_

lol at the canadian Frederic Niemayer who choose to give the win to his singles match opponen while he was a set up because he wanted to concentrate on doubles. He lost in the first round of doubles....

The Murrays have a grat chance of winning the gold medal in doubles. But i dont agree with andy's singles performance. He didn't give it all.

castle007

Banned
Lleyton Hewitt got married to Rebecca Cartwright!!

310_Rebecca_Cartwright_002.jpg

Peru

Used to have a crush on her. For some reason we got a lot of Australian drama series here the last two decades on daytime television. Most boring: A Country Practice, although I hardly remember what it was about.

Steroyd

Federer wins by 2 sets 6-3 6-6 (7-4) tie break.

Very messy 2nd set he let the other guy whatshisname come back into the match Federer was down 3-0, and was fortunate the opposition was erratic otherwise he would have been double broken.

I don't think i've ever seen Federer so vulnerable before, was very weird to watch.

Peru

You haven't? I have seen him prettttty vulnerable a few times this year. Berdych isn't an easy opposition, so two straight sets is pretty good any how.

Now: go Cornet!

Steroyd

Peru said:
You haven't? I have seen him prettttty vulnerable a few times this year. Berdych isn't an easy opposition, so two straight sets is pretty good any how.

I'm talking about this year, I don't know what it is but by his own standards the wheels have flew off.

But yeah a win is a win, which will build his confidence hopefully.

Peru

I'm pretty gutted, actually. I love watching Federer play when he plays well, I don't want this to be the end of his carreer peak. It would be a huge loss for tennis. Get back at it, Feds.. those unforced errors are just unecessary.

_Frank_

lol at everyone who were saying like 2 months ago that there is a huge gap between federer and other players. Federer reign is over. And that was visible from the australian open.

Peru

Li Na plays like a tennis goddess right now. Never seen her better, she could beat anyone with the way she's played today.

Steroyd

_Frank_ said:
lol at everyone who were saying like 2 months ago that there is a huge gap between federer and other players. Federer reign is over. And that was visible from the australian open.

On Grass and Clay there IS a big gap between Federer + Nadal >>>> Rest, the Wimbledon Final speaks for itself.

And wow it's just not happening for Federer on the hard courts, the last match he looked shaky but it looks like he got piunished for having a similar performance.

He really needs someone like a coach to get his head in check, he really must be doubting his own ability at the moment, which isn't where his head should be looking into the US open.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm sorry but I have to laugh at the outcome (not at the player). Maybe it's because he lost to the perenial underachiever in Blake that the result just sounds bizarre!

_Frank_

Steroyd said:
On Grass and Clay there IS a big gap between Federer + Nadal >>>> Rest, the Wimbledon Final speaks for itself.

And wow it's just not happening for Federer on the hard courts, the last match he looked shaky but it looks like he got piunished for having a similar performance.

He really needs someone like a coach to get his head in check, he really must be doubting his own ability at the moment, which isn't where his head should be looking into the US open.

well grass reprensent like 5% of all tournaments.....

when i judge a player, i consider his play on all surfaces. And saying theres a big gap between the top 20-30 players or so is a pretty big statement.

Koshiro

Poor Federbot, it's really quite sad the way he's dropped off since Wimbledon. I hope he sorts it out, we don't just want to replace Fed with Nadal, we want a real competition up there.

MIMIC

Banned
Federer should be over Wimbledon by now. He's had ample time to grieve.

He's not doing anything to quiet his detractors and if he still in that losing state of mind, then he's never going to win again. But I do think that it's hilarious that he's losing to random people now. Federer lucked up TWICE: Karlovic pulled out and Blake took care of Simon.

God: "Damn, Federer. I throw you two bones and you still fuck it up."

CajoleJuice said:
U.S. Open final preview?

Aren't they always put in the draw in a way that makes them meet in the semi's? But in any case, should be a killer of a match.

Regarding US Open, when does it start?

The Orange said:
Aren't they always put in the draw in a way that makes them meet in the semi's? But in any case, should be a killer of a match.

That's because they've been 2-3 for a while. Now that Nadal will be #1, Federer and Djokovic will meet in the semis.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
CajoleJuice said:
That's because they've been 2-3 for a while. Now that Nadal will be #1, Federer and Djokovic will meet in the semis.

Does that happen always? I'm pretty sure Federer has played against people ranked number 3 in semi-finals while being number 1 at Grand Slams.

John Dunbar said:
Does that happen always? I'm pretty sure Federer has played against people ranked number 3 in semi-finals while being number 1 at Grand Slams.
I'm fairly certain. 1 and 4 are put in the same half-bracket, while 2 and 3 are put in the other. I think one Grand Slam (Wimbledon?) doesn't have to go by ATP rankings when they do their seeding, though. At least they didn't have to at one time.

MIMIC

Banned
The Orange said:

Regarding the draw, it's pretty much a toss up as to where the No. 3 seed is placed (and the 4th would be on the other side).

At the Australian Open, Djokovic was in Federer's half of the draw and the same happened at Wimbledon. At the French Open, however, Djokovic was on Nadal's half.

MIMIC said:
Regarding the draw, it's pretty much a toss up as to where the No. 3 seed is placed.

At the Australian Open, Djokovic was in Federer's half of the draw and the same happened at Wimbledon. At the French Open, however, Djokovic was on Nadal's half.
Oops. :x I stand corrected. I guess I figured tennis was the same as other tournaments.

Steroyd

CajoleJuice said:
I'm fairly certain. 1 and 4 are put in the same half-bracket, while 2 and 3 are put in the other. I think one Grand Slam (Wimbledon?) doesn't have to go by ATP rankings when they do their seeding, though. At least they didn't have to at one time.

I'm sure Wimbledon had the seedings set in such a way that all the odd numbers were in one half and the evens were on the other.

Gonzalez takes the second set 7-5

Third set here we come. C'mon Blake! Time to be clutch!

edit: there are no third set tiebreakers and it looks like this match will keep going for a while 5-4 in the third on serve.

edit 2: Blake threw away 3 match points in that game. 6-6 in the third

edit 3: 7-all

edit 4: 8-all

edit 5: 9-all. And its 6am here and I need to get to bed dammit! I want to wake up before noon.

edit 6: Gonzalez with the break and is serving for the match.

edit 7: Gonzalez wins 4-6, 7-5, 11-9

Blake lost 3 match points and it cost him. He disapoints just when you thought he was turning his game around. Fuck. I'm going to bed.

_Frank_

lol at blake choking it. How did federer lost against him?

When is Nadal/djokovic semi ? The one who will win this match will likely be the gold champ

Peru

The beautiful game.

What an emotional match! Someone said these guys don't care about the olympics.. Nadal's cheering was on Wimbledon final level, and did you see Djokovic reduced to tears? You don't see the players hug very often either.

bud

fuck, i missed it. i saw federer playing for a bit, though--losing to blake is pretty bad. i think he's still not overcome his wimbledon loss. combine that with the fact that's already pretty old... so yeah, it's pretty much over.

_Frank_

Nadal has so much improved this year. He's clearly the stongest of the big 3 mentally. Always there in big moments.

Hootie

*sigh*...I fear the age of Federer has come to an end.

Unless he wins the US Open, it is just not looking good. It all comes down to that epic Wimbledon final.

Fuck you Nadal!

Top Bottom