• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League:Party System testing now live on PC. Precursor to crossplatform groups.

PC players: You may see a new Party UI pop up in Rocket League today.

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/psynet-party-system-test-steam"]Blog Entry
It’s party time!

Following the execution of our internal testing program, we're happy to announce that our first round of public testing for Rocket League's new PsyNet Party System will begin this week and continue throughout the month of October.

What’s the new Party System all about? Once the test is running, PsyNet (our name for Rocket League’s backend) will automatically sync with your Steam Friends List information and allow you to create a party inside of the game client, rather than using Steam's tech as you normally would.

If you’re playing on Steam, you will NOT have to update your game when the test goes live, as all of the changes will happen through PsyNet (and do not require additional downloads). Our initial party tests will be short -- roughly 24 hours or less -- followed by longer tests throughout the Autumn season. The screenshot below is what you will see in Rocket League when inviting friends through PsyNet instead of Steam.

rl_friendlist_new.jpg

Hoping all the testing goes smoothly and we get to see it rolled out soon for consoles. The endgame here is to be able to party up with your friends on regardless of platform. Given the state of crossplatform play it will probably be limited to PC/PS4 and PC/Switch/Xbone parties.

Cerium

PSN needs to get on board quick so we can have cross platform parties asap.
If it becomes a thing that Switch and Xbox players use a lot and are vocal about, more games will implement it and the pressure will build on Sony to come around.

One way to do this might be to organize cross platform tournaments.

ps3ud0

With all the bollocks and hot air we normally seem to get when it comes to this topic, these guys are at the forefront and actually building a framework that's looking beyond what basic cross-platform has to offer.

Less chat, more action...

ps3ud0 8)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Great, i will only play with Xbox/Switch players when on PC. Will do my part to skew the data and show the corporation that we want full crossplay

Kayant

Gaas model really is something in the way they can perform backend updates without updating the client.
With all the bollocks and hot air we normally seem to get when it comes to this topic, these guys are at the forefront and actually building a framework that's looking beyond what basic cross-platform has to offer.

Less chat, more action...

ps3ud0 8)
Not surprising given they are a big factor in MS opening up their network.
Great, i will only play with Xbox/Switch players when on PC. Will do my part to skew the data and show the corporation that we want full crossplay
I mean you don't really have an option to pick which platform you get lool.

I'm confused.

Does this mean i can play ranked from my PC with my xbox one friends???? That would be the best thing in the world

Kayant

I'm confused.

Does this mean i can play ranked from my PC with my xbox one friends???? That would be the best thing in the world
Not yet.

All this mean atm is PC players have a new system that uses in-game party system instead of steam's.

JoeLT

So now you can’t use Steams invitation services and have to use the in game ones? I know that’s pretty common in PC games, but if the same happens on PSN and Xbox Live I won’t be happy. Need to be able to use the system UI AND the in game cross platform invitation system, together. Not one or the other. This uniformity is one of the reasons I prefer PSN/XBL to PC online platforms. Not sure if they’re allowed to exclusively use an in game party system and ignore the system invitation API’s on console, anyone read the documentation that could shed some light?

Kayant

So now you can’t use Steams invitation services and have to use the in game ones? I know that’s pretty common in PC games, but if the same happens on PSN and Xbox Live I won’t be happy. Need to be able to use the system UI AND the in game cross platform invitation system, together. Not one or the other. This uniformity is one of the reasons I prefer PSN/XBL to PC online platforms.
Given the wording so far I imagine they are going to be bypassing these systems and just importing your friends' list into them.
Not sure if they’re allowed to exclusively use an in game party system and ignore the system invitation API’s on console, anyone read the documentation that could shed some light?
We can probably confirm this with things like warframe that only use their party system on PC and see how it is on console.

Not yet.

All this mean atm is PC players have a new system that uses in-game party system instead of steam's.

That’s what it is building to yes. They are testing the backend first on PC then expanding it later.
Thank you!!
God I can't fucking wait. None of my friends that play Rocket League have a PC so it sucks not being able to play anything but custom matches with them. This will be such a gamechanger

JoeLT

Given the wording so far I imagine they are going to be bypassing these systems and just importing your friends' list into them.

We can probably confirm this with things like warframe that only use their party system on PC and see how it is on console.
Really hope this isn’t the case. In this situation it will actually negatively impact the experience for users who just want to play with their friends that are on the same platform as them. I want to be able to go to a friend on my friends list on xbox and send them an invite even if they’re not playing the game and have it pop up on their system. I also want to be able to go into the game and invite one of my PC friends into the exact same party using the game interface.

This lack of uniformity on PC is something I despise and hope Microsoft/Sony enforce devs to create robust solutions that work both ways.

Really hope this isn’t the case. In this situation it will actually negatively impact the experience for users who just want to play with their friends that are on the same platform as them. I want to be able to go to a friend on my friends list on xbox and send them an invite even if they’re not playing the game and have it pop up on their system. I also want to be able to go into the game and invite one of my PC friends into the exact same party using the game interface.

This lack of uniformity on PC is something I despise and hope Microsoft/Sony enforce devs to create robust solutions that work both ways.

My understanding is it will work either way. Use the Xbox live or the in game system.

If this takes off, it could be brilliant.

Ploid 3.0

This is how my Epic launcher on PC is with the PS4 players (recent players list). This is the only way I know of that I can see who are playing on PS4 or PC. PS4 players can see PC players, even though they can use Mouse /KB also. I have a family member on my friend list that is PS4 with the PS4 controller symbol.

Games will need their own list for more cross play to work well. Maybe it'll be like Epic, EA, and Ubisoft launchers. EA used to have their own friend list in the PS2 days iirc.

Trup1aya

This seems like something that could be handled well from within the game, that way the 3rd party API can push the notification to the user via whatever network they play on.

For example, if I'm on xbox, I'd open Rocket league and send an invite to PersonA. Since PersonA isn't playing RL currently, PsyNet pushes the invite to the network PersonA is registered to. PersonA receives a notification that says he's been invited to play RL by <my Psynet name>

Top Bottom