• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai: "PS4 hardware is already profitable"

Spiegel

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140522_649764.html

平井CEO「PS4はすでにハードウェア単体で利益を計上しており、従来のプラットフォームビジネスとは異なる事業体制となっている」

Is Kaz Hirai saying that PS4 hardware is profitable already?

Yes, and that it differs in that regard to the business model of previous platforms.

Yoday

Does he mean the platform or the hardware itself, because that was a really short amount of time to cut ~$60 cost on each unit made.

EL CUCO

9kONtzB.jpg

The Llama

Great news for Sony and their investors. Hopefully means they can continue to invest in more first party studios and games.

Means they could easily price drop to $350 if Microsoft starts catching up.

Yep yep

Especially with the internal hardware being pretty mainstream, so the cost of production will continually drop at a pretty rapid pace.

I could see a $299 PS4 by this time next year honestly.

Gorillaz

With how fast its been selling I was wondering. It took 4 years for the George Foreman to make profit

Next e3 will probably be revision and price cut time. I still think they will have a price cut out by the time uncharted 4 drops

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well It's was the logical to drop the loss leader hardware. But even still makes me more apprehensive in comparison to simply building a new pc next year.

CECH-1106A doing work already!

PS4 is has an amazing design. The loss in the previous quarter was probably related to higher cost of assembly because of over capacity and residual air shipment costs spilling over into Jan/Feb.

The strategy outline is quite poor though. Will make a thread on it later...

So, are they having a profit on each unit sold, or they are selling a good amount of games to the point it's already making up for the loss and them some?

I just have ONE request! Please have Kaz come on stage at the Sony press conference at E3! Even for 2 seconds to say hello! The man, the legend, the hero!

Damian.

Banned
Good for them, bad for gamers if this gen goes on for more than a couple years. I hope Nintendo realizes the hilarity of the design choices by Sony/MS and releases a Wii U successor in 2 years that is notably more powerful. Maybe then console users will see the uselessness in console cycles.

hopefully sony as a whole for next fiscal year does better. hopefully the game side isn't brought down more because of that tv/tablet and all that jazz.

Top Bottom