• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Let's talk about this wwe comic cover for next month.

0g5r55.gif

Needs Bane Strowman with "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!" speech bubble.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, the GitS Live Action movie was indeed hard underwhelming and it managed to have an amazing art design while looking super bland and cheap at the same time.

And man, that one thing with
Majors Ghost
was indeed super insensitive.

VanWinkle

I am loving Aja's art in Immortal Iron Fist, though I don't like its style as much as in Hawkeye. I miss those thick lines and lighter colors. But he's still a master of visual storytelling.

Messi

I am loving Aja's art in Immortal Iron Fist, though I don't like its style as much as in Hawkeye. I miss those thick lines and lighter colors. But he's still a master of visual storytelling.

I would agree but hollingsworths awful colouring ruined Hawkeye and all of comics for me in general. Even books he didn't colors.

Thanks bunches.I honestly can dig whatever so long as it's interesting, but I do have a particular taste for noire, heist, and spy in my fiction. Horror too. I like horror. I'm a grim guy.

Kill or Be Killed and Brubaker's Image stuff will probably be a good fit if you like that stuff.

Deadly Class, like Messi suggested, is also a good choice. Not really a noir comic or anything like that, but it's certainly grim and something I'd recommend. It's real good.

Disgraced

Kill or Be Killed and Brubaker's Image stuff will probably be a good fit if you like that stuff.

Deadly Class, like Messi suggested, is also a good choice. Not really a noir comic or anything like that, but it's certainly grim and something I'd recommend. It's real good.

Ed Brubaker"s Velvet. The New 52 Grayson run.
I'm actually already familiar with Remender and Brubaker and Velvet. Like, I do read comics lol. I just don't stay very current.

I think what I'll look for specifically is the latest of Paper Girls and Velvet (books I'm already into), then Deadly Class, and maybe Kill or Be Killed... Honestly, the premise of that one doesn't hook me. How is it really? Worth a read for sure?

In any case, thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to make sure they're open on Sunday and hit it up on my break tomorrow if so. It's someplace social that isn't a coffee shop and it's got to beat driving aimlessly or eating at work. I'm excited, and I'll post about exactly what I ended up grabbing later.

Messi

I'm actually already familiar with Remender and Brubaker and Velvet. Like, I do read comics lol. I just don't stay very current.

I think what I'll look for specifically is the latest of Paper Girls and Velvet (books I'm already into), then Deadly Class, and maybe Kill or Be Killed... Honestly, the premise of that last one doesn't hook me. How is it really? Worth a read for sure?

In any case, thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to make sure they're open on Sunday and hit it up on my break tomorrow if so. It's someplace social that isn't a coffee shop and it's got to beat driving aimlessly or eating at work. I'm excited, and I'll post exactly what I ended grabbing later.

Yes all of Brubaker and Philips stuff is worth checking out. Also Velvet is actually finished.

If you like creepy horror then check out Terry Moores Rachel Rising.

You have a good list there.

MartyStu

All caught up on Detective Comics

This may very well be one of my favorite comic runs. Period.

Fuck I am almost a year behind reading comics. I very much look forward to picking this book back up.

Which reminds me: any books of note recently? I am just going to pick up from where I left off with all the Rebirth books and Thor + Ms. Marvel.

I heard good-ish things about the Jean book.

Fuck I am almost a year behind reading comics. I very much look forward to picking this book back up.

Which reminds me: any books of note recently? I am just going to pick up from where I left off with all the Rebirth books and Thor + Ms. Marvel.

Jean Grey, both Wolverine books, Astonishing X-Men, and X-Men Blue are all you need from that line. Ms. Marvel and Mighty Thor are great as well. Secret Empire is bogging down a lot of shit right now though so it's hard to say what else there is. Secret Warriors and Royals for sure. Hawkeye is fun. Infamous Iron Man and Jessica Jones, but I'm not caught up on those.

That's just Marvel. Green Arrow, Nightwing, Super Sons, Superman, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, and Supergirl are all books I'm enjoying a lot from DC.

Sandfox

Black Bolt is a really strong book. I'm also enjoying Daredevil, Darth Vader, Iron Fist, All New Guardians of the Galaxy, and Gwenpool off the top of my head. Flintstones, Supergirl being Super, and God Country stand out to me as well.

I agree with the X-Men recommendations above.

error4041

Jessica Jones, Black Bolt, Infamous Iron Man (Almost done, the last trade will be out before Christmas) Royals if you like Inhumans, Defenders and Astonishing X-Men are both off to a good start, Gwenpool is a a great action-comedy with surprisingly strong emotional beats, I would also recommend anything written by Matthew Rosenberg (Kingpin, 4 kids walk into a bank, Secret Warriors and Rocket Raccoon)

I haven't kept up, but I would also recommend, Curse Words, Daredevil, I hate Fairyland, and Deathstroke

I also recommend the Iceman solo X-comic because a) it's pretty good and b) we need more gay comics from the big 2 to do well.

How's Batwoman's current run anyway?

Damn, Mister Miracle #1 climbed to number 2 on the CMX EU bestseller list. It beat out Secret Empire in just a few days. The top 10 is usually static after each NCBD when there's not a sale.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've never read any Detective Comics, even though I'm a massive Batman fan, but you guys are really hyping out this Rebirth run.

I've never read any Detective Comics, even though I'm a massive Batman fan, but you guys are really hyping out this Rebirth run.

I stopped reading it after the big Bat Family arc, when they started focusing on some shit with Azrael instead. But it was really good from what I read.

It's solid. I don't think I've ever enjoyed Batwoman as much as the Blackman/Williams III run, though.

I find the success of the Superman series post Rebirth with a happily married Clark and Lois funny when DC wouldn't let Kate and Maggie get married because 'heroes shouldn't have happy personal lives'.

Also the image of Bats for the Love is Love comic makes that whole debacle sting all the more.

14359476_1736770286572711_4995714875612200960_n.jpg

Dan Didio can fuck off.

Black Bolt is a really strong book. I'm also enjoying Daredevil, Darth Vader, Iron Fist, All New Guardians of the Galaxy, and Gwenpool off the top of my head. Flintstones, Supergirl being Super, and God Country stand out to me as well.

I agree with the X-Men recommendations above.
I forgot about DD and BB.

I'm also really enjoying Titans.
I also recommend the Iceman solo X-comic because a) it's pretty good and b) we need more gay comics from the big 2 to do well.

How's Batwoman's current run anyway?
It's decent. And that applies to both Iceman and Batwoman.
Yeah it's my favorite right now too. To me it feels like old school Claremont team-book. In a good way.
Not in an X-treme X-Men kinda way?
It's a really good team book with strong artistic direction that leads to badass superhero moments with a very strong emotional core immersed in Batman mythos.

Top Bottom