• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-SYNC Do-It-Yourself Kits available in NA for $199 - Link to Youtube Guide inside

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/diy

Youtube Guide is HERE
PDF Guide

For a limited time, we are making a G-SYNC Do-It-Yourself Kit available. If you have an ASUS VG248QE monitor, you can purchase the kit and mod your monitor. Assuming you are proficient with moding, this solution might be right for you. The installation process should take approximately 30 minutes.

To prepare yourself with the modding process, we recommend carefully reading the Installation Guide (PDF, 6.7 MB) and watching the installation video below.

Note that unless directly caused by NVIDIA’s own negligence, NVIDIA is not responsible for any product damage or warranty issues, including, but not limited to, the voiding of a third party product warranty that may occur by using, integrating or substituting the warrantied product with or into third party product.

Product Page NA shipping:

United States
Canada
Puerto Rico
Virgin Islands

For UK users & others, there is no news at this time.

You might need to watch this page (or your region equivalent) for more info. It should appear in the sidebar at the bottom similar to the US page.

Tenck

Is there specific GPUs that are required? I'd love to give this a try with my current setup, but I'd like to avoid the headache of finding out that I need a new GPU.

Unai

Too bad they aren't bringing the kits to the benq monitors. I can't justify buying a new one right now.

Is there specific GPUs that are required? I'd love to give this a try with my current setup, but I'd like to avoid the headache of finding out that I need a new GPU.

Kepler GPUs (GTX 600/700 series), specifically the GTX 650Ti BOOST and higher

Check page 3 of the PDF file.

Just know that you NEED an NVIDIA gpu.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
The installation is quite easy if you've got any experience with electronics.

$200 is steep though.

I'm thinking about it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't know about you guys, but $200 on top of price of monitor is a bit much for me...

I don't care how cool and hip GSYNC is. You are absolutely right. It makes me kind of upset that nvidia does this kind of stuff. No way in hell I'm buying a 300+ monitor on top of a little 200 dollar chip.

baphomet

I don't care how cool and hip GSYNC is. You are absolutely right. It makes me kind of upset that nvidia does this kind of stuff. No way in hell I'm buying a 300+ monitor on top of a little 200 dollar chip.

Its not really a chip. Youre basically buying 1 complete monitor and then the insides of another monitor.

Damian.

Banned
That's a lot more complicated than I imagined. Seeing that and the price on top of it makes me second guess whether I want to do this or not. At $99 I would have jumped on it immediately. Tough call.

That video's pretty surprising. The guy actually takes out all the guts of the monitor and pretty much throws it away, except for the connecting cables that he uses to connect the new circuitboard. It's not just a little chip that he's plugging in, like I thought; the G-Sync 'module' is actually the circuitboard for an entirely new monitor that you're just plugging in to the panel and case for the one you own.

LiquidMetal14

Its not really a chip. Youre basically buying 1 complete monitor and then the insides of another monitor.

Doesn't look much more than a small PCB that doesn't look worth anywhere near 200. Chip was used loosely on my part but my point stands. Price talk more than anything on this.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

The reports coming out from CES are saying that there will be G-Sync ready monitors coming out from various manufacturers that are on board.

I've heard of 2560x1440 monitors overclocked to 144hz, and the MSRP being ~$650. Haven't heard if they're TN or IPS though. And you can't really judge quality until some people get these in their home/labs.

You can get a VG248QE for $250 if you shop around, $300 if you don't. With the separate G-Sync module, you're looking at $550 for the total package. Considering this is an option obviously targeted to the enthusiast/early adopter market. It's not an awful deal.

For someone who already has the monitor, like myself, it might even be a better one.

Still, $200. I'm not sure if I'll jump in.

LiquidMetal14

The reports coming out from CES are saying that there will be G-Sync ready monitors coming out from various manufacturers that are on board.

I've heard of 2560x1440 monitors overclocked to 144hz, and the MSRP being ~$650. Haven't heard if they're TN or IPS though. And you can't really judge quality until some people get these in their home/labs.

You can get a VG248QE for $250 if you shop around, $300 if you don't. With the separate G-Sync module, you're looking at $550 for the total package. Considering this is an option obviously targeted to the enthusiast/early adopter market. It's not an awful deal.

For someone who already has the monitor, like myself, it might even be a better one.

Still, $200. I'm not sure if I'll jump in.

It's a tough pill to swallow. I'd buy a monitor with the thing for 400 but not anymore. Not right now.

Doesn't look much more than a small PCB that doesn't look worth anywhere near 200. Chip was used loosely on my part but my point stands. Price talk more than anything on this.

While I'm sure there is a profitable markup on these chips, the price is high because the board is apparently a FPGA. Supposedly FPGA's are normally used for prototyping and not normally massed produced, hence they are expensive. Newer monitors won't be using these chips, they'll be mass produced specialty chips that are much cheaper.

For me, I got my monitor on a deal at $250. The board will cost me $210. So about $460 total for the whole deal.

Yeah, that's expensive, which is why I am waiting on blurbusters. You lose the functionality of DVI and HDMI, and we don't know if the ULMB mode is really better than ToastyX Lightboost (like can you use it in borderless fullscreen {like lightboost}, or will it strobe at 60hz - something Lightboost can't do)

outsida

Wait so I would lose the ability to use HDMI if I did this mod? My monitor doubles as my second Xbox 360 set up (probably replaced by my PS4 soon) at my desk.

I imagine the pre-installed G-Sync monitors are going to be much better value, because you won't be buying two separate sets of monitor guts. If Nvidia has some partnership with Asus where they can just slot these PCBs in on the assembly line instead of the regular stuff, that should keep the costs down.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
200$ :|

This monitor was 250$ by itself. I was so sure I was gonna be among the first to get this technology but now I'm thinking I might just wait for my next display upgrade.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Wait so I would lose the ability to use HDMI if I did this mod? My monitor doubles as my second Xbox 360 set up (probably replaced by my PS4 soon) at my desk.

Yep, you will. The board provided doesn't have anything but one DisplayPort input. Not sure if there are HDMI to DisplayPort converters out there, but I don't think they'd be cheap if there are.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, you will. The board provided doesn't have anything but one DisplayPort input. Not sure if there are HDMI to DisplayPort converters out there, but I don't think they'd be cheap if there are.

Ok. Its decided. No gsync for me this year. I'm actually quite bummed.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't wanna sound like a lunatic.. but for something so niche and limited like this kit they should give them away for like 45 bucks. This is like a one time thing, theres not gonna be a market for this upgrade kit 6 months from now.

I don't wanna sound like a lunatic.. but for something so niche and limited like this kit they should give them away for like 45 bucks. This is like a one time thing, there's not gonna be a market for this upgrade kit 6 months from now.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Well, if you already have a 660Ti Boost or higher nVidia card. A lot of people don't. I have 2 x 7970 GEs right now. To keep the same level of performance I'd need, what, 2 770s or 780s? On top of the $600 for a monitor and this kit? That's almost, what, $1,500?

I mean, I spend money like a drunken sailor, but that's a lot of fucking money.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Will purchase when they're in the 100$ or less range... Really looking forward to these puppies. Not at that price though.

mkenyon

Banned
HDMI can't output past 60Hz anyway, which kills the entire point of the module.
I don't wanna sound like a lunatic.. but for something so niche and limited like this kit they should give them away for like 45 bucks. This is like a one time thing, theres not gonna be a market for this upgrade kit 6 months from now.
Supposedly the chip they use on them sells for $1000 MSRP. This is from a random display tech hobbyiest on the Blurbuster's forum.

xJavonta

Banned
HDMI can't output past 60Hz anyway, which kills the entire point of the module.

Supposedly the chip they use on them sells for $1000 MSRP. This is from a random display tech hobbyiest on the Blurbuster's forum.

He wanted to use it for his console as well (not Gsync, just the monitor)

Durante

It makes me kind of upset that nvidia does this kind of stuff.
You should seriously ask yourself why it makes you upset that there's one company out there actually creating and selling enthusiast products for the gaming market.

Because of 3D vision we got 120 Hz LCD monitors, because of its further development we got Lightboost and reclaimed motion clarity, and because of G-sync variable refresh rate adoption in gaming displays at the very least got a massive mindshare and development boost, and we just got the first official 1440p 120 Hz monitor announcement.

Top Bottom