• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

Izuna

Banned
So they're selling Doom 3 BFG at my Wal-Mart for 13 bucks. They're also selling Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition at that price but it's sold out atm.

Anyone here recommend Doom 3 BFG? It comes with a poster and Doom 1 and 2.

If you have never played the game, sure.

Gestault

So they're selling Doom 3 BFG at my Wal-Mart for 13 bucks. They're also selling Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition at that price but it's sold out atm.

I'd recommend it. Doom 3 is cool, though I think weirdly enough the more "simplistic" level design from the Lost Episode they included in BFG is more fun for the average player who's coming to them the first time. It's built almost closer to the original Doom's discrete level setup, instead of trying to flesh out a unified "world" like in regular 3.

The Doom 1 & 2 are great too because they have up to four player split-screen campaign co-op, if that's something that might be useful for you.

Novocaine

I like Doom 3 but it's a flawed game. Worth playing through once I'd say.

The original games though those are some good fucking games everyone should own

Oemenia

Banned
Sorry if this might have been answered, but does the BC emulation improve resolution too, or just frame rate?
I've certainly noticed IQ being being better on upscaled games, especially on ones that used FXAA. Far Cry 3 upscaled to 1080p almost looks crystal clear and the rock-solid 30 FPS with no tearing almost makes a rerelease not needed.

Anyway lets hope One X adds AA/upressing, could really help a number of games.

Hawk269

I've certainly noticed IQ being being better on upscaled games, especially on ones that used FXAA. Far Cry 3 upscaled to 1080p almost looks crystal clear and the rock-solid 30 FPS with no tearing almost makes a rerelease not needed.

Anyway lets hope One X adds AA/upressing, could really help a number of games.

You know I was thinking about this last night. I was playing BC Forza Horizon and though that if they allowed a 4k update, without changing anything other than the resolution, how much cleaner the game would look.

I would think that MS would want to take a handful of 360 games and pay to have the devs go back and do a resolution patch, test it etc and release the patch upon the X1X release. I am not suggesting this for all games, but if they took about 12 games and just did a resolution bump how much better would these games look, but also give people buying a X1X or thinking about buying one more reason to want to upgrade.

arhra

You know I was thinking about this last night. I was playing BC Forza Horizon and though that if they allowed a 4k update, without changing anything other than the resolution, how much cleaner the game would look.

I would think that MS would want to take a handful of 360 games and pay to have the devs go back and do a resolution patch, test it etc and release the patch upon the X1X release. I am not suggesting this for all games, but if they took about 12 games and just did a resolution bump how much better would these games look, but also give people buying a X1X or thinking about buying one more reason to want to upgrade.

Resolution upgrades should be doable in the emulator, without any dev input. Sony's PS2-on-PS4 games run at 4x the original rendering resolution (~1280x960), and most* community-developed emulators for 3d systems are capable of increasing internal rendering resolution way beyond what the original systems used (*exceptions generally being the ones focused on accuracy above all else, which obviously aim to match the original systems in every respect, including resolution).

MS seem to have figured something out for OG Xbox games on XB1 BC (we saw Fuzion Frenzy briefly at E3 on one of the daily shows, and it was definitely running at something higher than 480p), so I'd like to hope they can do something similar with 360 games using the extra power of the X.

I'm not sure about full 4k (that would be a 9x increase in pixels rendered over running at 720p on the One/S), but the X was basically designed to run games at 4x the resolution compared to the base hardware, and that would put 720p BC titles at 1440p, which would still look pretty good on a 4k TV (especially ones with good IQ, like Forza Horizon), and even sub-native games would get a good bump (BlOps 2 would go up to 1760x1440, for example, and Alan Wake would be bumped to native 1080p).

peppers

It'd be a m a z i n g to play RDR at 1440p and a locked 30fps among other last gen classics. I would buy this day one no bs.

Oemenia

Banned

AFAIK it also applies AA depending on the load, switching between MSAA and FXAA so I wouldn't be surprised if the IQ is improved a lot by that too on One.

finished replaying the Classic Dead Space 1&2 games and just started the 3rd,

ugh, so far it isnt a bad game but i dont like i change making it more "actionary".

will keep playing though just to complete the trilogy

MilkyJoe

I'd check on the DOOM 1 & 2 bit, last i checked they didnt come with the DOOM 3 download.

Chitown B

come on Deadly Premonition and Blur.....

Seriously though once I move soon I will not be setting up the 360, so I do hope my final favorites get ported someday. Till then, I'll just have to wait.

LewieP

I just reviewed the games I own digitally, here's the ones that are not currently BC that I'd like to be:

After Burner Climax (presumably never going to happen since it was delisted),
Crackdown (presumably will happen at some point),
Bionic Commando: Rearmed,
Child of Eden,
Crysis 2,
Dead Rising 2 (would be nice but fairly redundant, since there is a native Xbox One version),
Dust: An Elysian Tail (never actually played this),
Fez,
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (presumably never going to happen since it was delisted),
Resident Evil 4 (would be nice but fairly redundant, since there is a native Xbox One version),
Rez HD (not too concerned about this since I have it on PS4 now, I wonder if that version will ever hit Xbox One),
Rockstar Table Tennis.

I'm pretty impressed that the bulk of my digital 360 library is available. I got rid of my 360 + games on disc a few years ago, but the selection has grown at a solid rate.

mclem

Is Fez good? I wanted to try it, but the creator's comments sort of turned me off from the game.

I really liked it, but it's sort of two games in one. The game you *think* you're playing from the outset is a fairly mundane platformer with a nice gimmick to it. The other game is a surprisingly in-depth puzzle game, but it won't be apparent at first; it's not uncommon to complete the game without really registering it.

The platformer is nice, but not what made me fall in love with it.

Is Fez good? I wanted to try it, but the creator's comments sort of turned me off from the game.

I was kinda on the same page until I got the game on PSN Plus about two years ago and the game itself changed my mind. I still think Phil Fish is an awful person, but this game is really great. At least the part that I could play (It wasn't my PS4, neither I have one actually).

I hope this game get to the GwG someday.

Fez was amazing to me and i think Phil Fish is a little crazy but i think the internet is crazier and i dont blame his outbursts

I really liked it, but it's sort of two games in one. The game you *think* you're playing from the outset is a fairly mundane platformer with a nice gimmick to it. The other game is a surprisingly in-depth puzzle game, but it won't be apparent at first; it's not uncommon to complete the game without really registering it.

The platformer is nice, but not what made me fall in love with it.

I was kinda on the same page until I got the game on PSN Plus about two years ago and the game itself changed my mind. I still think Phil Fish is an awful person, but this game is really great. At least the part that I could play (It wasn't my PS4, neither I have one actually).

I hope this game get to the GwG someday.

Thanks y'all, I'll pick it up when it comes over to BC. I gotta say, one man games always impress me and I was looking forward to Fez. I just wish he kept his opinions to himself.

Keinning

let's see, most of my collection is already bc, lemme check what isnt

army of two: TDC
batman arkham city
battlestations: pacific
brothers
child of light (but i have the x1 version)
crysis 3
f1 2013 (eh dont care)
fh2 fast & furious (is this even a game)
fable anniversary (wtf microsoft)
game of thrones episode 1 (it was free - meh dont care)
happy wars (what)
kingdoms of amalur: reckoning (my impossible dream)
LA noire
lego harry potter y5-7 (want it)
life is strange (meh)
mafia II
some magic games
mgs ground zeroes (have the gwg x1 version)
both metro games (have x1 versions as well)
murdered soul suspect (x1 too)
mx vs atv live (dont care)
re revelations 2
red faction guerilla
sniper elite v2
soul calibur V
spartacus legends (lol)
tales from the borderlands (kinda wanted but will never happen)
terraria (x1 version)
the raven
both walking dead
wolf among us
tales of something
thi4f (rot in hell)
tomb raider
trivial pursuit
world of tanks
Top Spin
Virtua Tennis 4

Just give me LA Noire, Lego and SCV and i'll be happy

Roughly 140 of my digital games are backwards compatible, that's just around 1/2 of the games I own for 360. On pure numbers that looks good but when you drill down so many of those games are arcade games I'm not really interested in playing and it's missing so many best/must have 360 titles people do want to play that hold up even today.

Top Bottom