• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

koam

Since you guys decided to make a whole new thread on this, here's a copy past of the info on my thread:

I thought this was a bit early until I realized that there's less than a month to go before the game is out! It will be the first time Nintendo goes online in North America so I double up the thread with some info on how to go online using "wifi".

First, the game

nintendo-reveals-red-hot-ds-bundle-20051012044000826.jpg

Mario Kart DS
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo (EAD? CAn someone confirm this?)
Release Date:
US: November 14, 2005
Japan: December 8, 2005
Europe: November 25, 2005
Players: 1-8 Offline, 2-4 Online (no battle mode online)

Track list (Confirmed tracks from the get-go, there are 16 Nitro and 16 Retro in all)
Nitro Grand Prix (New Courses)

Mushroom Cup:
* Figure 8
* Yoshi Circuit
* Cheep Cheep Beach
* Luigi's Mansion

Flower Cup:
* Desert Sun-Sun
* Delfino Plaza
* Waluigi Pinball
* Mushroom Hill

Star Cup:
* D.K. Alpine
* Tick Tock Watch
* Mario Circuit
* Flying Fortress

Special Cup:
* Wario Stadium
* Peach Garden
* Bowsers Castle
* Rainbow Road

Retro Grand Prix (Old Courses)

Shell Cup
* Mario Circuit 1 (SNES)
* Moo-Moo Farm (N64)
* Peach Circuit (GBA)
* Luigi Circuit (GCN)

Banana Cup
* Donut Plains 1 (SNES)
* Frappe Snowland (N64)
* Bowsers Castle 2 (GBA)
* Baby Park (GCN)

Leaf Cup
* Koopa Beach 2 (SNES)
* Choco Mountain (N64)
* Luigi Circuit (GBA)
* Mushroom Bridge (GCN)

Lightning Cup
* Choco Island 2 (SNES)
* Banshee Boardwalk (N64)
* Sky Garden (GBA)
* Yoshi Circuit (GCN)

Battle Arenas:
* Nintendo DS
* Twilight House
* Palm Coast
* Sweet Cake
* Block City (N64)
* Pipe Plaza (GCN)

Characters (8 more are unlockable)
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Yoshi
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Wario

Hidden Characters:
Daisy
Dry Bones
Waluigi
R.O.B.

New confirmed features:

Mission mode: Complete certain goals or tasks within time limit or constraints.
Custom Decals: Create your own 32x32 decals for your carts.
Multiple carts for each racer: Each cart has its own specs (speed, heavy, items)
WiFi and Local wireless compatible
New items include Squidy and Bullet Bill. Squidy throws ink on your opponents screen which obstructs their view and Bullet Bill turns you into well, a bullet.
You are now allowed to choose the same character in multiplayer
Map on the second screen shows player positions as well as the track and items.

Some more details:
- As in previous versions, you can exchange ghosts (time trial mode) with other players.
- There are 54 mission levels (six levels with 8 missions and a boss level each).
- In balloon battle mode, you have to blow to the microphone to inflate the balloons.
- Each driver has two karts to choose from (don't know if there will be unlockable karts).

Track Impressions (impresssions from Twilight Rockstar)
The tracks look REALLY nice. SNES, N64 and GBA tracls are well nice, and I was even impressed with what they managed to pull off with the GC tracks. Better 3D than I was expecting. The GC tracks do have cut-backs though. eg Mushroom Bridge, there's no shortcut by the starting line, and the bridge arches are off limits.

Music (impressions from Twilight Rockstar)
Really good. The Retro tunes have been remixed, some have slightly different structures, some just different instruments. Some sound about the same, some remixes I prefer the originals of and some, like Donut Plains 1, I prefer the new version.

Missions (impressions from Twilight Rockstar)
Rank (in Mission mode at least) ia scored D, C, B, A, *, **, ***, depending on your speed and overall skill/technique. It'd make sense that it means the same in Grand Prix as well.
There are six levels, each level having eight parts and one boss battle. The missions are there to ease you into the game. They teach you how to boost, corner, powerslide etc and require you to collect coins, destroy enemies, drice through tyres etc. Get this though: the boss battles are arena based and put you up against bosses from Super Mario 64! So far I've gone up against Big Bully and Eyerok.

Tiny unlockable spoilers:
Waluigi is unlockable by completing the Star Cup (difficulty unknown)

Mirror Mode is unlocked by completing all cups in 150cc

Each character has 7 (?!) karts at least. Some of them are repeated amongst the characters (Yoshi & Toad can use DK's Rambi Kart).

The tracks in the Special Cup are Wario Stadium, Peach Garden, Bowser's Castle & Rainbow Road

Some screenshots:
mario-kart-ds-20050515002501330.jpg
30251020051014_005457_12_big.jpg
30251020051014_005457_11_big.jpg

30251020051014_005458_17_big.jpg
28522475812.jpg
mario-kart-ds-20050515002503549.jpg

Possible purpose for Decals (thanks :Motorbass):
mariokart.jpg

NINTENDO WIFI CONNECTION

1128514921news.jpg

el4c2t.jpg
el4bk8.jpg
el4bol.jpg

el4bqh.jpg
el4bus.jpg
el4bw6.jpg

el4bxg.jpg

* FREE
* Easily transfer your settings to another DS (using normal DS wireless connections)
* Space for three connections—no need to change router settings every time you use a different network.
* A separate one-touch connection for the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector
For each connection
* Easily search for a wireless network
* One-touch AOSS support for Buffalo routers and access points.

Manual Setup options
* Auto-obtain DNS or explicitly define Primary & secondary DNS servers, Gateway, Subnet ask, etc.
* SSID and WEP Key (WPA does indeed seem to be unsupported)
* DHCP or manual IP assignment

So what do you need to get online?

- A Broadband connection (DSL, CABLE ETC) - 56K WILL NOT WORK
- A Wireless router or the official Nintendo Wireless Dongle
- A PC (Note that if you are using the wireless dongle, the PC MUST be turned on when you play and the PC also requires 1 USB port).

If you are using the Nintendo wifi dongle you have nothing more to do besides install the CD, and then turn on your DS with a wifi compatible game and press on the one-touch connection button.

If you are using a wireless router, the following must be done.
1) First, make sure your wireless router is 802.11B/G compatible (most routers are)
2) If your router is a 802.11G model, make sure "dual mode" is enable in order to support the DS' 802.11B standard.
3) Find out the type of encryption you are using:
- If it is open you have nothing to do.
- If it is WEP, write down your key, you will need to enter this when you turn on Mario Kart
- If it is WPA, you are screwed. Either switch to WEP or buy the Nintendo wifi Dongle.

If you have any questions regarding wifi, please ask below and i'll edit the answer in here.

If you have anything else to contribute post below.

More info:

DS Download Play:
* 2-8 player simultaneous wireless game play
* Choice of multiplayer racing, Balloon Battle, or Shine Thief modes
* Players who own Mario Kart DS can choose their own characters and use personalized icons
* Players who do not own Mario Kart DS must play as Shy Guy; they cannot use personalized player icons
* Track selection is limited to eight tracks for racing and three arenas for Balloon Battle and Shine Runner modes
* DS Download Play is limited to the 100 cc engine class

Multi-Card Play:
* 2-8 player simultaneous wireless game play
* Choice of multiplayer racing, Balloon Battle or Shine Thief modes
* Players can choose from different engine classes
* No limits on character choice
* No limits on track choice
* Player's win/loss ratio is saved and tracked
* Players who race locally are automatically added to each other's friend roster and then can race via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
* Players can trade ghost data wirelessly, allowing them to race against each others' best times.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection:
* 2-4 Players racing simultaneously
* Choice of playing with:
- Friends Only (players registered as Friends)
- Rivals (players with similar skills)
- Recent Opponents
- Regional Racers (players in their country)
- World Racers (players anywhere in the world)
* No limit on course choice, but each player votes for a course and the course with the most votes wins (in case of a tie, the course is chosen randomly)
* No limit on character choice
* Players can create and use personalized player icons

THERE IS NO BATTLE MODE ONLINE

Here's the WiFi Faqs:

Does it cost anything to play online with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection?
No, there are no monthly subscription fees from Nintendo.

How do I know if a game is Wi-Fi compatible?
The packaging for games with this feature will display the Wi-Fi logo:

For a complete list of Wi-Fi compatible games, please click here.

How can I find out about upcoming Wi-Fi games?
Visit www.nintendowifi.com often to get news on upcoming Wi-Fi compatible games.

What do I need to set up a wireless connection with the DS?
There are two ways to connect with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection with your Nintendo DS: Through a home, wireless network or, through a Hotspot location. What you need depends on where you want to connect.

At home:
In order to establish a Wi-Fi connection with your Nintendo DS at home, you need:

A broadband internet connection (such as DSL or Cable).

A wireless router attached to your broadband connection. The majority of major brand wireless routers are compatible with the Nintendo DS wireless feature. For a list of routers please click here. If you do not wish to purchase a wireless router, you may be interested in the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Connector, which allows you to create an access point using a USB port on your computer. For more information on this accessory, click here.

A Wi-Fi compatible Nintendo DS game. The packaging for games with this feature will display the Wi-Fi logo.

For a complete list of Wi-Fi compatible games, please click here.

At a Hotspot
A Hotspot is generally a public location that offers wireless connection to the internet. Nintendo has Partnered with Wayport in the U.S., and with FatPort in Canada, to provide free Wi-Fi access in many of their Hotspot locations.

When playing at a Hotspot, the only thing you need is your Nintendo DS and a Wi-Fi compatible game.

For information on setting up a connectoin at a Hotspot (including how to locate Partner and non-Partner Hotspots) in your area, click here.

How do I know if my router is compatible with the Nintendo WFC?
Click here and look for your router.

Do I have to buy the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector?
Absolutely not! If you already have a wireless router in your home, you will be able to use your Nintendo DS to connect online and play games. If you do not have a wireless router, you can buy one at your local retailer. Check out our router info page for more information.

If you do not wish to setup a wireless network in your home, you can also connect to the Nintendo WFC at many Hotspots. For more information on setting up a connection at a Hotspot, click here.

Can I tie my Nintendo WFC ID to my My Nintendo profile?
Yes. Link here for details.

Where do I find my Nintendo WFC ID?
Locate the Nintendo WFC Settings screen on the game you are playing (consult the manual for the game you are playing for more information).

Tap "Options."

Tap "System Information."

Your Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID will be the second item displayed.

Where do I input the auto-generated nickname?

Turn the power off and remove all games from the Nintendo DS.

Turn the system on by pressing the POWER button.

Tap the screen using the stylus when the "Touch the Touch Screen to continue" message appears.

When the main menu appears, tap the stylus on the Settings Menu Panel at the very bottom middle part of the screen.

Tap the user icon.

Tap the nickname icon.

A keyboard will appear. Erase all the letters of the current nickname using the "Erase" or "Back" button. Tap the letters to spell the nickname that was generated when you visited Nintendowifi.com Tap "CANCEL" if you wish to undo the changes or "CONFIRM" if you wish to enter the nickname.

Wait for the the confirmation message to disappear, then tap "Go Back," then "Quit," then "Yes" to exit. The unit will shut down automatically to save the settings.

To complete the process, either at home or at a Hotspot, connect to the Nintendo WFC. You don't need to complete a match, just be sure to connect.

I tried to link my ID to my profile and it didn't work.

Complete the process within the alloted time.

Make sure that you enter your Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID at Nintendowifi.com and then enter the nickname you received into your Nintendo DS

Be sure to complete the process by connecting online once with any wi-fi compatible game.

What is the difference between U.S. Partner Hotspot and non-Partner Hotspot locations?
A Hotspot is generally a public location that offers wireless connection to the internet. A partner Hotspot is a location that has been specifically set up to work with the Nintendo WFC. In the U.S., Nintendo has partnered with Wayport to provide free Wi-Fi access in many of their Hotspot locations.

To locate all partner Hotspots in your area, click here.

It is also possible to connect to the Nintendo WFC at a non-partner Hotspot location. While a non-partner Hotspot is a Hotspot that has not been specifically setup to work with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, many non-partner Hotspots are able to connect to the Nintendo WFC. Those Hotspot locations that require a browser interface for a user to accept a "terms of use" agreement, or to create an account, or that have incompatible security settings are not compatible with the Nintendo WFC.

What is the difference between Canadian Partner Hotspot and non-Partner Hotspot locations?
A Hotspot is generally a public location that offers wireless connection to the internet. A partner Hotspot is a location that has been specifically set up to work with the Nintendo WFC.

Nintendo is currently working to set up partner Hotspots across Canada. Please check back for more information.

It is also possible to connect to the Nintendo WFC at a non-partner Hotspot location. While a non-partner Hotspot is a Hotspot that has not been specifically setup to work with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, many non-partner Hotspots are able to connect to the Nintendo WFC. Those Hotspot locations that require a browser interface for a user to accept a "terms of use" agreement, or to create an account, or that have incompatible security settings are not compatible with the Nintendo WFC.

How do I find a Hotspot near me?
Click here to use our Hotspot locator tool and search your area for all known wireless Hotspots. You can even choose to view only those Hotspots that Nintnedo has partnered with, or view all known Hotspots.

What do I need to do to play at a Hotspot?

Click here to view our step-by-step setup instructions for setting up at a Hotspot.

What is a Friend Code and why do I need one?

Nintendo WFC allows you to play some games with people you've never met before, from anywhere around the world. Sometimes, though, you may find you just want to play with a friend. By exchanging the Friend Code generated by your game with your friends, you have the option of focusing your game play experience to playing only with your friends. For information on how to add a friend to your game's Friends Roster, click here.

Why do I have to enter a Friend Code for every game?
A unique Friend Code is generated for each Nintendo DS Wi-Fi compatible game. This is done so that when you are looking to play online with friends, the Friend Code can look for those friends that are online and playing the same game as you are.

Do I have to have a Friend Code to play online?
No, the Nintendo WFC is designed to allow you to play some games with people you've never met before, from anywhere around the world. Exchanging Friend Codes with others gives you the additional option of playing only with those players you have designated as friends.

Does the Nintendo WCF affect the security of my wireless network?

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection requires that you have WEP security on your router, or no security. However, please note that the Nintendo WFC does not affect these settings. The security setting can only be changed by you on your router.

I don't want to change the security settings on my router. Do I have any other options?

If you don't want to setup a wireless router at home, you can still connect to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection through a local Hotspot. To find out more about getting connected at a Hotspot, including finding Nintendo's partner Hotspot locations, click here.

If you still want to play at home, but don't want to setup a wireless router, you can purchase the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector. This add-on device connects to the USB port on your PC to create a wireless access point. For more information, click here.

Can I see my high scores and other information posted anywhere?

Each game maintains its own stat tracking. Check out the Gaming Hub to see what online features will be displayed for each game.

How do I upload high scores and other information?
Each game has its own method of receiving game statistics. Check out the Gaming Hub for details on each game.

Can I chat online?
Not all games will contain a chat feature. Each individual game developer determines if chat will be in the game and how it will operate.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection games that contain a chat feature will work as follows: "Open" chat is allowed between friends who have exchanged Friend Codes. "Closed" chat is available during "Stranger” or "Rival” play. "Closed" chat means you can select from a set of phrases to send to an opponent but you may not type whatever you want.

One of the great features of the Nintendo DS is Pictochat, which allows players to chat using the local wireless mode of the system. At this time, Pictochat is not a feature of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Keep checking Nintendowifi.com for news of any future uses of the Pictochat feature.

Can I choose who I play with/against by location?
Each online game offers its own online options. For instance, Mario Kart: DS lets you choose whether you wish to race against only players on your Friends Roster, players within your region, or players from anywhere in the world. Complete directions are available in the manual for the particular game you are playing.

For additional information, click here to visit our Game Support page.

Will performance of the game be any different online versus offline play?
Normally, you should see very little or no difference between playing with a friend in the same room or when you are playing a game against an opponent across the world. The amount of data exchanged in the process of playing a game is very small. However, if you are using a shared access point – such as a home network where other computers and printers may be active – you may see a small amount of lag time while playing. This may also be true if your Internet Service Provider handles a lot of traffic. If you are experiencing performance problems that interfere with your game play, please disconnect from Nintendo WFC, and try to connect again. You may also want to play using a Nintendo DS AC Adapter while online, because online play represents a higher drain on your battery.

Are there any plans for a national/international tournament online?
Visit www.nintendowifi.com often to get news of any plans for tournaments, contests, and other online activities.

How do I play with other people online?
The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection allows you to connect with other players from around the world for online gaming fun. You have two ways you can connect. One way is to connect with other players with whom you have exchanged Friend Codes and placed on your Friends Rosters. For more information on using Friend Codes to match up online, click here.

In certain games you can also get connected by being "auto-matched." Auto-match goes out and randomly sets you up with any other player who is online and looking to play. This broadens the number of opponents you can be matched against to thousands and thousands of other players around the world. The way auto-match is set up and used is unique for each game. Refer to the manual for the game you're playing for details.

I don't own a wireless router, help me find one!

Nintendo has evaluated several name-brand wireless routers to determine which ones work best with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Click here to view the results of our tests and find out which wireless routers might be right for you.

I don't want to set up a wireless router, can I still play online?

If you don't want to setup a wireless router at home, you can still connect to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection through a local Hotspot. To find out more about getting connected at a Hotspot, including finding Nintendo's partner Hotspot locations, click here.

If you still want to play at home, but don't want to setup a wireless router, you can purchase the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector. This add-on device connects to the USB port on your PC to create a wireless access point. For more information, click here.

Compatible Routers:
routers1sx.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I am not going to draw the usual XBL <-> NWFC comparisons, but I will say this..... Nintendo has definitely thought this out. IMHO this is about the most complete online strategy a company could release for a handheld system short of having a 100% connected system (like a cellphone).

Can't wait. can't believe it's only a week away. you suckas better sharpen those skills, because I'm about to take you downtown.

For those who want to prepare their Decals already on the PC, here is the palette (Zip contains .act-palette for Photoshop etc)

The Editor lets you do 32x32 pieces, while ingame they are 16x16 (besides the Playername on the top screen; are they interpolated? or just cut every other pixel?). As the art on nintendowifi.com is 64x64... wtf ^^

hf

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
borghe said:
I am not going to draw the usual XBL <-> NWFC comparisons, but I will say this..... Nintendo has definitely thought this out. IMHO this is about the most complete online strategy a company could release for a handheld system short of having a 100% connected system (like a cellphone).

Can't wait. can't believe it's only a week away. you suckas better sharpen those skills, because I'm about to take you downtown.

We going to set up an offical GAF Tournament?

We need a sticky friend code thread swap,and someone organize brackets, haha

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
John Harker said:
We going to set up an offical GAF Tournament?

We need a sticky friend code thread swap,and someone organize brackets, haha

The problem is that you can't request to play against a -specific- person in MKDS, from what I've heard... which makes brackets and such nearly impossible to do.

Jiggy

Mofo said:
Best new track BY FAR: Waluigi Pinball.

Imagine racing through a working pinball machine - while someone is playing pinball! It's really a rush when you're heading down the big board with two giant steel balls ready to collide in front of you... just incredible. The track even has enviroment-specific sounds - pass someone and you'll hear a bonus chime like you're racking up a high score... pretty darn neat.
Man. Between this and Tick Tock Clock, I just know Mario Kart is going to be the only game that'll show up in my DS as often as or more often than Advance Wars.

Can't wait...

borghe

DavidDayton said:
The problem is that you can't request to play against a -specific- person in MKDS, from what I've heard... which makes brackets and such nearly impossible to do.
not true at all. friend codes allow you to do just that.

Xrenity

borghe said:
not true at all. friend codes allow you to do just that.
Hmmm, I don't think so.

Add friend code > guy goes in your friends list.

Now, you want to play some online Kart. What you do is choose between Worldwide, Region, Skill level and Friends (something like it). When you choose friends you maybe get to see who's online, but my guess is you just start a game and wait for friends to come in.

Or am I horribly wrong? :p

John Harker

DavidDayton said:

Why can't we exchange friend codes and just play them?

edit: has anyone confirmed that you can just play specific friends on your Friend List?
And can you see if they are online once you choose this option?

DDayton

John Harker said:
Why can't we exchange friend codes and just play them?

edit: has anyone confirmed that you can just play specific friends on your Friend List?
And can you see if they are online once you choose this option?

My understanding is that you add friends to your friends list, then going to the PLAY FRIEND option puts you into a game with any friends who are currently on...

The problem with a bracket is that you could be put up against ANYONE on your friends list.

If you wanted to do a tournament, you'd have to manually empty out your friends list, then enter just the folks you want to compete against in the tournament.

Now, I could be wrong, but everyone people have said so far seems to say that... and that there is NO chat function, even with friends.

borghe

Xrenity said:
Hmmm, I don't think so.

Add friend code > guy goes in your friends list.

Now, you want to play some online Kart. What you do is choose between Worldwide, Region, Skill level and Friends (something like it). When you choose friends you maybe get to see who's online, but my guess is you just start a game and wait for friends to come in.

Or am I horribly wrong? :p
that could possibly be the most unintuitive design of all time. I (personally) expect that if I have a list of my friends in game that if I see three online I will be able to play against the three of them no questions asked. If instead I just have to keep creating a new game until I get the three of them in the same game, well..... that could possibly be the most ghetto thing I have ever heard.. I can't believe someone would actually design something that bad.. I will hold out belief that nintnedo actually made playing with friends sane and logical.

the concept that is mentioned is fine for all the other playtypes. nothing worse than going online and creating a gametype that YOU want only to sit around for 5-10 minutes waiting for 3 other plays to join in. but I would think a friends list style game you would be able to, I don't know.... wait for everyone to get on and play with them. :\

DDayton

borghe said:
that could possibly be the most unintuitive design of all time. I (personally) expect that if I have a list of my friends in game that if I see three online I will be able to play against the three of them no questions asked. If instead I just have to keep creating a new game until I get the three of them in the same game, well..... that could possibly be the most ghetto thing I have ever heard.. I can't believe someone would actually design something that bad.. I will hold out belief that nintnedo actually made playing with friends sane and logical.

It's also possible that none of the playtesters have more than 4 friends on their friends list at the moment, and that you only get the option of choosing if you have more than 4 friends online.

Just a thought.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
marc^o^ said:
Does it scream million seller? Does anyone know if Nintendo is planning to advertize it heavily?

I know there's a ton of Qs in this thread, but I don't have a lot of time atm. Also, a lot of the technical Qs I just don't know the answer to.

This question jumped out at me though. MKDS has million-seller written all over it and I'm very sure its going to recieve a huge push via Nintendo's Wifi advertising.

Xrenity

borghe said:
Well, I don't agree.

If you want to play online for a quick match, you just put up a game and any online friend jumps in. However, your friends won't be online all the time to join any game you start up. So you could get someone on a messenger to join your game as soon as it's opened.

I think most of the time none of your friends will be online, unless you add a whole lot of them :)

(I don't know if I'm right about how it works though)

GDJustin

The system was designed from the ground-up to have you online and playing as quickly as possible. Is it really that much less fun to be playing with a group of three guys you know personally and have traded codes with?

If you were throwing a videogame party, and a couple dudes that you wanted to show up didn't come but a couple other guys you like did, would you throw a shitfit?

borghe

GDJustin said:
The system was designed from the ground-up to have you online and playing as quickly as possible. Is it really that much less fun to be playing with a group of three guys you know personally and have traded codes with?

If you were throwing a videogame party, and a couple dudes that you wanted to show up didn't come but a couple other guys you like did, would you throw a shitfit?
ok, let me rephrase.. the INCLUSION of a mode such as being discussed is fine. one click play and whatnot.. but the purposeful EXCLUSION of just creating a "friend" game and letting "friends" join in seems stupid.

hell, even outside of friends mode, how does nintendo plan to do tournaments? right on the MKDS page on wfc.com they say every week lucky members will be picked to play against MKDS programmers. how would that work if there isn't some way to pick a game to be in?

this isn't making much sense. maybe it is in the game but needs to be unlocked by the service?

edit - nm.. the page says you can "try" to meet up with the NOA person.... hmm.. I hope this isn't true. IMHO it would be a black mark against what seems like a near perfect game. :(

GDJustin

borghe said:
ok, let me rephrase.. the INCLUSION of a mode such as being discussed is fine. one click play and whatnot.. but the purposeful EXCLUSION of just creating a "friend" game and letting "friends" join in seems stupid.

hell, even outside of friends mode, how does nintendo plan to do tournaments? right on the MKDS page on wfc.com they say every week lucky members will be picked to play against MKDS programmers. how would that work if there isn't some way to pick a game to be in?

this isn't making much sense. maybe it is in the game but needs to be unlocked by the service?

edit - nm.. the page says you can "try" to meet up with the NOA person.... hmm.. I hope this isn't true. IMHO it would be a black mark against what seems like a near perfect game. :(

For the tournies, an NOA player will be playing at a specified time, and 3 lucky gamers will get matched with them. It isn't like a big bracketed tourny... just an event.

The reason you can't race with specific friends is because you can't "make" a game at all. You just search and are up and running ASAP.

fugimax

The reason you can't race with specific friends is because you can't "make" a game at all. You just search and are up and running ASAP.
I dunno, that kinda sucks. I mean, I won't have enough friends online for it to be an issue, but in terms of usability for people with large friends lists, it's pretty stupid.

Even a simple invite thing would have worked. Go to friends list, pick up to 3 people, click "Invite"...whoever accepts gets thrown into a game. Easy.

Nester

PezRadar said:
So can players race agst computer bots as well as friends while online? Or just humans? 4 people on one track is kinda lonely =[

Yea, especially when I'm way up ahead in the lead all the time. ;)

borghe

PezRadar said:
So can players race agst computer bots as well as friends while online? Or just humans? 4 people on one track is kinda lonely =[
my guess on this is that it's 4 players only.. technically if they had 4 extra bots they would have 8 players online also. that is still 4 extra carts that need their geometry transmitted to all the other players.

borghe said:
my guess on this is that it's 4 players only.. technically if they had 4 extra bots they would have 8 players online also. that is still 4 extra carts that need their geometry transmitted to all the other players.

boo.. game will be kinda dull online i bet specially if u score a few good hits

borghe

PezRadar said:
well yeah, aside from that whole being able to play mario kart against human opponents without requiring them to be within wifi range of each other thing. :D

Yea but then look at this

How do I play with a specific Friend online?

Make sure you have properly exchanged and added each other's Friend Code to your games. For help, click here.

Make sure you are each playing the same game.

Make sure you have each selected Play with a Friend for Nintendo Wi-Fi play.

Depending on the game, if more than one friend is online playing in Friend mode, there is no way to select which friend Nintendo WFC connects you with. Check your game manual for online play.

http://www.nintendowifi.com/consumerservice/showTopic.do?topicId=GTS_Friends&catId=GTS_Friends

I cant even CHOOSE what friend i want to play with... wtflame?

fugimax

Nope. This is Mario Kart, man. You can go from last to first in 5 seconds due to the item bias based on your position in the race.

John Harker said:
So I can never specificy which friends I want to play with?

Nope you cant.. unless you take everyone off your list but that 1 person... it randomly pairs you with whoever is on your friends list? Gizzay?

fugimax

So I can never specificy which friends I want to play with?
Nope. You play with whoever is online in your friend's list. Shouldn't be a problem unless you have tons of random friends.

fugimax said:
Nope. You play with whoever is online in your friend's list. Shouldn't be a problem unless you have tons of random friends.

How is that NOT a problem?

lets say i have an online friend from GAF on, and then a IRL friend online, and i want to race only the IRL friend.. my chances of matching with him are 50/50, which is STUPID.

Damnit.. the more I read into the online features the more nintendo fucks it up.

fugimax

How is that NOT a problem?

lets say i have an online friend from GAF on, and then a IRL friend online, and i want to race only the IRL friend.. my chances of matching with him are 50/50, which is STUPID.

Damnit.. the more I read into the online features the more nintendo fucks it up.

No, your chances are 100%, as you will race with *both* of them.

fugimax

Well that isnt so bad then, but if you have like 10 friends? Then your kinda screwed right?

I suppose. But think about the conditions required for that. You're going to have to have 10 friends online at the same time sitting just waiting for games. Probably not.

SpeedRazor said:
I guess this throws out the chance of a bracketed tournament setup through GAF. :(

Technically no, u can whipe your friends list and put up only who your facing and pair off, then re-add stuff later (cumbersome yes but possible to do)

borghe

I have to agree with this sentiment as well. I can understand nintendo not allowing you to create games in non-friend modes. but to not include that functionality in friend mode is just poor planning. if I want to play someone, I should be able to play them; not simply have a "chance" that I might get thrown into a game with them.

and what happens when 5 friends are online? 4 get to play online and the 5th has to play with strangers (i.e. not in friend mode?) so you can't play 3 friends in one game and 2 in another game?

really I have to wonder what was going through the developers head when doing this.. I can understand making functionality like that the default, but to actually leave out something as basic as choosing who you want to play against is really a step backwards. almost so silly that I am still having a hard time believing that is actually the case.

John Harker

Well, put me into the "that sucks" category.

If I have 2 friends online, can I still play a 4 player match?
Will it pull someone else randomly looking for a game, or can I add a bot or something?

Dammit, so much for 1 on 1 friend racing...

dkeane

The only reasoning I can come up with is that Nintendo likes to keep you playing. Having to set up a race and waiting for people to join tends to have you waiting longer than playing. Especially in a game like this where the matches are are only a minute or two long.

Still strange though.

borghe

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Remember, it's just as good as Xbox Live, and it's free! :lol
to be fair, this isn't a "feature" of the service but of the game itself.. the service could still very well be a live killer.

Nester

How do I play with a Friend online in Tony Hawk's American Sk8land?
From the main menu, select "Wireless," then select "Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection." Choose "Connect to Nintendo WFC" and select "Head to Head." Choose "Friend Match" and select the friend you wish to invite.

Well, at least you can choose who you skate against in Tony Hawk..

antipode

fugimax said:
I suppose. But think about the conditions required for that. You're going to have to have 10 friends online at the same time sitting just waiting for games. Probably not.

What if you have 2 friends online, and each of those friends has one other friend online? Does the 5th person have to sit out every other game?

I guess my basic question is: is online even fun if you can't chat? I've never played an online game where you couldn't even type to people telling them you had a good game and that you're leaving. Do you basically have to call the people on your friends list and tell them you're dropping after 5 minutes because you're heading to McDonald's for lunch, not because you're bored? Otherwise it just seems like people you know will log on and log off and you can't even tell if they are having fun or not.

I think for games with random strangers, theres closed chat.. some prebuilt in phrases u can use.. like "Good Game" and shiat..

But for friends theres a full fledged chat w/ keyboard I think.

Top Bottom