• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Nice OT. I would've picked one up, but I went with the Switch. My 2600k will live on a bit longer. Really looking forward to upping my core count. Hate frame drops trying to capture video.

dnaeNia.jpg

6OdWa03.png
>:3

Ivan

Nice thread and nice CPUs from AMD. Finally.

I think we should have a separate thread about it's implementation in future consoles, this is huge. We're finally going to get something really fast.

I know APUs will come later, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

tuxfool

Banned
GTAV seems like a real mofo. It scales well to lots of cores, but seems really sensitive in 99th percentile.

I'd really like to see watch dogs 2 to get another open world benchmark.

Looks pretty promising, though I don't know offhand how GPU limited you are in each of those games/configs/settings. I'm not building mine for gaming, but it's nice to know it'll handle itself quite well.

I wish Thursday were already here for some reviews!

What was the all core frequency of 1700, 3.4 GHz? It's almost 1 GHz advantage for 7700K in that sense, but at 1440p I don't think these results tell us more than that most games are GPU bound.

What'll be interesting to see is if there's actually titles that are more Intel optimized outside the usual difference in frequency or cores. AMD seems to have a talk at GDC about Ryzen optimizations for games, and they announced a partnership with Bethesda for optimizing CPU&GPU performance, so I wonder if there's any significant optimizations for devs to specifically target Ryzen or if there's games right now that have sub par performance for some reason on AMD.

What was the all core frequency of 1700, 3.4 GHz? It's almost 1 GHz advantage for 7700K in that sense, but at 1440p I don't think these results tell us more than that most games are GPU bound.

What'll be interesting to see is if there's actually titles that are more Intel optimized outside the usual difference in frequency or cores. AMD seems to have a talk at GDC about Ryzen optimizations for games, and they announced a partnership with Bethesda for optimizing CPU&GPU performance, so I wonder if there's any significant optimizations for devs to specifically target Ryzen or if there's games right now that have sub par performance for some reason on AMD.
3.0GHz base clock for the 1700, right?

I'm not aware of any all-core turbo frequency being confirmed for the R7 1700.
As mentioned, the CPU lineup image in the OP is direct from AMD's Ryzen launch showcase. Also, this: https://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/ryzen-pre-order?ipromo=ryzen-preorder-banner

AMD Ryzen 7 1700
WORLD'S LOWEST POWER 8-CORE DESKTOP PROCESSOR
3.0 GHz clock rate; 3.7 GHz with boost
AMD Wraith Spire cooler
65 Watt TDP​

hqdefault.jpg

Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 AM4 Ryzen Motherboard Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDrtRSS--o

hqdefault.jpg

Asus Prime X370 Pro Ryzen Motherboard Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuYSF3aqFhc

hqdefault.jpg

Asus Crosshair VI AM4 Ryzen Motherboard Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zyjSqPAFs

hqdefault.jpg

Crosshair VI Hero Unboxing and First Look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVcIss7m5SM

hqdefault.jpg

Crosshair VI Hero Closer Look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAZA6bgZh0o

Does BF4 even have the option to play in DX12?
Wut
Likely a DX11 typo in both charts, or "DX12" is being used in place of "Mantle" for some reason.

Looks pretty promising, though I don't know offhand how GPU limited you are in each of those games/configs/settings. I'm not building mine for gaming, but it's nice to know it'll handle itself quite well.

I wish Thursday were already here for some reviews!
If accurate (leak is from AMD, and not an independent review) it would show that the frame times of Ryzen are much improved over Bulldozer/Piledriver/Steamroller/Excavator. Even when those CPUs had comparable performance to Intel's FPS results, the frame times were often below competing Intels.

pestul

If that slide is real, it looks quite promising for gaming. I think the real battle against the 7700k will come from the 1600x in a couple of months for overclocking enthusiasts. The 1500/1600 *should* overclock a lot better.

Paragon

If that slide is real, it looks quite promising for gaming. I think the real battle against the 7700k will come from the 1600x in a couple of months for overclocking enthusiasts.
Considering that the 1700/X seems to be performing worse in games than a 7700K/6800K based on the two charts from AMD above, I would expect fewer cores to perform worse.
That said, if things are this close and all these CPUs are at stock speeds, those are quite promising results.

The 1500/1600 *should* overclock a lot better.
Based on what?
The i3-7350K doesn't seem to overclock any better than the quad-core i7-7700K, and those are dual-core CPUs with smaller dies.

The 6-core Ryzen CPUs are just 8-core Ryzen chips with two cores disabled.
I would expect them to be worse overclockers than an 1800X which is the highest binned chip using that design.

Well, I was going to get the 1700X, but my car just broke down and needs a new fuel pump. The PC will have to wait. Thankfully, those benchmarks look promising!

Considering that the 1700/X seems to be performing worse in games than a 7700K/6800K based on the two charts from AMD above, I would expect fewer cores to perform worse.
That said, if things are this close and all these CPUs are at stock speeds, those are quite promising results.

Based on what?
The i3-7350K doesn't seem to overclock any better than the quad-core i7-7700K, and those are dual-core CPUs with smaller dies.

I would expect them to be worse overclockers than an 1800X which is the highest binned chip using that design.

As you said, stock speeds.

The 1700 stock speed is 3.0GHz. The 7700K is 4.2GHz...

It being that close despite lower clocks is really in favor of Ryzen. Intel has a 1.2GHz advantage and still only squeaks by if that slide is accurate.

More cores = lower frequencies. That's the reason the i7 quad cores are clocked higher and overclock better than the i7 6 or 8 core variants.

We already know that the 1600x will be clocked higher than the 1700 and 1700X based on AMD's slides at their event.

OmegaX06

It still looks like the 1800x overclocked to 4.4/4.5ghz is going to be unbeatable. Hopefully this is easily obtainable on air.

https://videocardz.com/66640/amd-ryzen-7-launches-tomorrow

AMD Ryzen 7 Gaming Performance

Take a close look at those charts. This is exactly what you will be seeing in tomorrow’s reviews. AMD Ryzen 7 is superior in many aspects, especially in synthetic benchmarks like 3DMark. However, it may not be just as good for gaming. Based on the reviews I saw, Ryzen 7 is doing great when Radeon GPU is used, but the gap between Ryzen and Kabylake/Broadwell-E increases when the system is equipped with GeForce graphics card. It’s too early draw any conclusions, but be aware that Kabylake is still competitive when gaming is considered.

amd-ryzen-design-opti2rknl.jpg

amd-ryzen-smtzwkrf.jpg

amd-ryzen-key-perform5rk2x.jpg

amd-ryzen-core-functi4ajpp.jpg

amd-ryzen-l2-cachelgkkw.jpg

amd-ryzen-l3-cache2fj47.jpg

amd-ryzen-zen-coreu6kck.jpg

amd-ryzen-shadow-tag-lbjzs.jpg

amd-ryzen-pure-powerx4jfx.jpg

amd-ryzen-neural-net-hjknz.jpg

amd-ryzen-ccxx9j7k.jpg

amd-ryzen-precision-bc9kc3.jpg

Paragon

As you said, stock speeds.
The 1700 stock speed is 3.0GHz. The 7700K is 4.2GHz...
It being that close despite lower clocks is really in favor of Ryzen. Intel has a 1.2GHz advantage and still only squeaks by if that slide is accurate.
Yes, that's why it's a very interesting result if all the CPUs are running at stock speeds - though we still don't know the full details of how the CPUs handle boost, and how XFR may affect that.

More cores = lower frequencies. That's the reason the i7 quad cores are clocked higher and overclock better than the i7 6 or 8 core variants.
That really just assumes that heat is going to be the limiting factor.

Intel's HEDT chips are not the same as the consumer chips. They're not just the same CPUs with a few more cores, so you can't compare something like a 6800K/6900K to a 6700K/7700K.
That's why my example was to compare the dual-core i3-7350K against the quad-core i7-7700K.
Same platform & architecture - basically the same CPU design with fewer cores and a smaller die.

The 6-core Ryzen CPUs are just worse-binned 8-core CPUs.
They still have 8 cores and are the same die size.

We already know that the 1600x will be clocked higher than the 1700 and 1700X based on AMD's slides at their event.
Stock speeds perhaps, but that doesn't mean there is any additional headroom when overclocking - as I said, I would expect them to be worse overclockers if anything, due to them being lower-binned chips.

It still looks like the 1800x overclocked to 4.4/4.5ghz is going to be unbeatable. Hopefully this is easily obtainable on air.
When you need LN2 to hit 5.2GHz, and their watercooled demo crashed trying to run 4.1GHz on all cores, 4.5GHz on air seems unrealistic.

Steel

Banned

Based on what?

The 1600x has a higher base clock than the 1700x, so...

Nachtmaer

Yep, apparently that was from an engineering sample too, so that is without turbo clocks.

And they also had to run their memory at 2133MHz because they didn't have an up to date BIOS. Obviously not every test will see a difference with using faster/lower latency memory.

I should've noticed this OT sooner instead of rambling in that old thread.

wachie

Videocardz is literally the top (most reputable) rumor and leaks site now, they keep delivering the goods time and again. Good on them.

Ryzen looks promising. Competitive with Intel in single-threaded performance while consuming a lot less and costing a lot less. Killing Intel in multi-threaded performance.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Those leaked 1700x benchmarks posted above are pointless.

- He is using a Engineering Sample.

- Low end motherboard with outdated Bios that is why he has his ram clocked so low. While intel setups are using high end motherboards and faster ram.

I live in Brazil. Here 1700 is $500, 1700x is $576 and the 1800x is $866

Brazil over tax Electronics to hell and back no surprise.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm getting a new gaming computer about this time next year and have budgeted 1500 CDN for it, I hope there will be good options then. My current computer is about 6 years old and needs a total redo. What all power supply and such is needed now? How much ram? Can motherboards include Bluetooth for controllers?

I'm getting a new gaming computer about this time next year and have budgeted 1500 CDN for it, I hope there will be good options then. My current computer is about 6 years old and needs a total redo. What all power supply and such is needed now? How much ram? Can motherboards include Bluetooth for controllers?
Not sure about power supply, but 16GB RAM would be best. If you're getting the PC next year, then hopefully RAM prices would have dropped by them.

I think some mobos have built in Bluetooth, but I do know that some of the ones that ship with WiFi cards have Bluetooth via the card.

For PSU's a good 500-600W unit will do even for higher end as long as you don't go SLI/CF. For RAM 16 GB is plenty unless you do heavy duty video editing etc. Motherboards usually do come with bluetooth, but the quality can be iffy, and I'd not recommend to use it for game controller purposes since the input lag might get too big, if it even keeps the signal.

tuxfool

Banned
Motherboards usually do come with bluetooth, but the quality can be iffy, and I'd not recommend to use it for game controller purposes since the input lag might get too big, if it even keeps the signal.

Not that I've seen.

Also as you've noted you'd want the antenna to be outside (and in front of) the case, so it is best to get a usb dongle anyway.

Excellent news. 99th percentile and frametimes really need to be reported more.

Getting really close to pulling the trigger on a 1700x build now.

Do we know what video card they were using for that? I'm wanting to make the jump to 1440p here after upgrading my CPU from a 2500.

Top Bottom