• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | April 2013 | Sacrifice your Independent Soul

dENzFK7.png

Latest Vita Firmware: 2.11

On December 17, 2011, a handheld was launched that took the hearts of many by storm. Despite it's ups and downs, the PlayStation Vita remains a handheld with a solid library, and this thread's purpose is to discuss the software released on a monthly basis.

pa71pT6.png

NA
09 - Guacamelee
Table Mini Golf
16 - Dragon Fantasy Book I
23 - Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R
Thomas Was Alone
Draw Slasher
Black Rock Shooter(PSP; US and certain territories)
30 - Soul Sacrifice
Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov's Revenge(Free with PS+)

EU
10 - Guacamelee
19 - History: Legends of War
24 - Thomas Was Alone
Draw Slasher
Black Rock Shooter(PSP; Certain territories only)​

KUHgzvw.png

Soul Sacrifice

Soul Sacrifice is one of the biggest upcoming titles(or even biggest games ever) the Vita has to offer. Developed by Marvelous AQL and Japan Studio, the game is designed by famous gaming industry figure Keiji Inafune and has a large cast of well known designers and composers behind it, including music from the always amazing Yasunori Mitsuda.

Prepare yourself for a brutal combat experience where every decision made will have consequential results. Soul Sacrifice is a co-op action game full of brutal combat and consequential gameplay choices. Take on the role of a slave who stumbles upon a forbidden book that allows its readers to relive epic battles between sorcerers and monsters of the past. In order to use the magic during fierce battles, the player must be willing to make a sacrifice in exchange -- ranging from personal belongings, a limb, or even a life. What price will you pay for power?
CwKRPQj.png

XcmTCLO.png

Guacamelee

Guacamelee is the story of Mexico's Juan Aguacate, a down on his luck man who sets out to save the world when El Presidente's Daughter is kidnapped by an Evil Charro Skeleton. The story takes place in and around a small village in Mexico, and has the player travelling through alternate dimensions including "The World of the Dead" and "The World of Nightmares" on his quest to rescue the girl he loves.

The game draws its inspiration from traditional Mexican culture and folklore, and features many interesting and unique characters. Building a bridge between 2D open-world exploration games and complex fighting games, Guacamelee blur the boundaries between fighting and platforming by making many of the moves you perform useful for both traversal and combat. The game uses a dimension switching mechanic to wildly change the play area as you go, and offers co-operative same-screen multiplayer for the entire story.

The game is cross-buy(buy one, get both) and the Vita version of this game is special in the fact that you can use it as a controller for the PS3 version, or even a map as you play! Figure out where to go in your Mexican adventures, or sit down with a friend and take down your enemies with a friend using both your PS3 and Vita.
McmQSDt.png

Out now! https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...vita/cid=UP2045-PCSE00033_00-GUACAMELEE000000

IJURbHz.png

18 - Slotter Mania V: Zettai Shouji II
25 - Kajiri Kamui Kagura: Akebono no Hikari
Labyrinth Cross Blood: Infinity
NextRev: Danishu Denki Koujishi Shiken
NextRev: Daisanshu Denki Shunin Gijutsusha Shiken
NextRev: Eiken
PhotoKano Kiss
Sangoku Koisenki: Otome no Heihou!
Spelunker Collection
TOEIC Test: Jissen Tokkun 2​

... There's nothing that big this month in Japan. Oboromuramasa and Sei Madou Monogatari just came out last week(3/28) and One Piece the week before.

JWiLq69.png

e5HNkOC.png

Dead of Alive 5+ is one of the best ports the Vita has to offer. Beautiful graphics and 60fps on the go, means this is a fighting game on the Vita you want to get. With many unique features, including the new "picture mode", which allows you to freely take pictures of battle and a new touch mode, which allows you to fight an opponent in first person by tapping and swiping them, among many others. And if you're worried that the community on the Vita will die down quickly, worry not, since the game has both cross-save and cross-play, meaning you can carry your progress between your PS3 version of DOA5 and your Vita version of DOA5+ and even play with PS3 users on your Vita and vice versa. A game that is full of content that you DEFINITELY don't want to miss!

HZyzISV.jpg

See more information in the OT: Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

Bought DOA5 last night.

Yum. Looks soooo good and the Vita d-pad makes it blissful to play.
DOA5+ look fantastic, like really good,one of the best port on Vita (on top with SW and VT4).
I will also vouch for this game. I only ever played DOA:D for 3ds and thats it for fighting games this whole gen and Im loving DOA5+

xcaaDkv.png

Feel like your Vita skills are up to the test? Then take part in this monthly challenge where we find out who among you is the best of the best. The winner of this challenge gets to choose which game gets highlighted as "Game of the Month" in next month's OT!

April Challenge: Quick, GAFman Origins!

IiAInCL.jpg

The Challenge: Time Attack Challenge, Geyser Blowout
Objective: After you beat this level for the first time(first level), enter it again and you can punch the clock to initate the time trial. Hurry to the finish!
How to Enter: PM me a screenshot of your best time. In the event of a tie(possible), I'll randomly choose!

The cutoff date for this challenge is April 30th, 2013. Good luck!

BYMf4to.png

How do I backup/transfer my games and saves to and from my PC/PS3?
For PC:
Follow this guide.
For PS3:
Follow this other guide.

How do I switch accounts on my Vita?
Short Version -
First of all, note that:
1. A system can only be linked to one account at a time
2. A memory card can only be linked to one account at a time

To switch accounts, you must:
1. Restore the PS Vita System (Settings > Format > Restore)
2. Format the memory card (if you only have one) or swap in another memory card (if you have multiple)

Long Version here.

(Thanks to Kazerei and The Grim Heaper!)

What does system update X.0X do?
"Improve system stability", usually, unless noted otherwise.

What is PlayStation Plus? Why should I, as a Vita owner, care about it?
PS Plus is a subscription service that not only gives you access to extra perks to use for your PS Vita, but also grants you an Instant Game Collection of 6 games available to try out for free. These perks include:
-1 GB Cloud Storage for all your PS Vita Game saves (PS1/PSP saves are not allowed).
-Automatic Save uploads to the Cloud, Game Updates and Trophy syncs.
-The same features available for your PlayStation 3 console, only with even more games.

Is Persona 3 Portable as bad as people say it is?
It's not. There are some downgrades, unfortunately, but a lot of the gameplay tweaks make it a greater experience than Persona 3 FES in some aspects, while worse in others.

30Rsemz.png

Upcoming Vita Games and Apps for 2013
Vita Compatible PS1 Classics
PlayStation Mobile Thread of Indie Games, and Apps on Android/Vita
Vita NeoGAF Game Reviews
Vita Wallpaper Thread
Vita Tips and Tricks
_____

Game OTs
Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )
Guacamelee! |OT| ¡Mexicovania - Olé!
Dragon Fantasy Book I |OT| iOS NES "JRPG" reSNESed for PSV/3
Black★Rock Shooter: The Game |OT| One girl in all the world

If you see something wrong or wish for something to be added, politely ask and I shall do so!

zulux21

I'm hoping we get some more game announcements, the line up this month is kind of weak again. I suppose it's likely class of heroes 2 will come out this month as well.

and heck it might not be impossible that Atelier meruru will just randomly appear on the psn this month ><:

I am looking forward to the soul sacrifice demo though, to see if I can be excited for the game itself.

Guacamelee is April 10th for EU, by the way. :)

Another month where we'll see if Legends of War actually comes out. Anyone taking bets? :p

You're missing highly anticipated system seller Table Mini Golf for NA release on April 9th. Under the Japanese listing, I'd suggest you change Meikyuu Crosso Blood: Infinity to Labyrinth Cross Blood: Infinity.

EDIT: Also maybe add a note that digital only titles far to often get stealth releases with less than a week's notice, so the list of games is likely to grow as the month goes on.

Shoyz

The May topic will be out the same day as Soul Sacrifice, and it doesn't look like we're getting the demo..

Paskil

Good job on thread OP. :D

Super excited for Guacamelee and Soul Sacrifice. Amazon offers release day shipping on the latter (in US), FYI.

nampad

Nice thread. April will indeed be a good Vita gaming month. Especially can't wait for Soul Sacrifice, gameplay looks fun, hope we can get some gaf games going.
Ratchet and Clank: Q-Force is still missing in action?

Sangoku Koisenki: Otome no Heihou!
Hmm, this seems to be the most common romanisation of the Vita release on various gaming sites, though references to previous releases of the game (PC, PS2, PSP) all seem to use Sangoku Rensenki instead. The unromanised title is "&#19977;&#22269;&#24651;&#25126;&#35352;&#12288;&#65374;&#12458;&#12488;&#12513;&#12398;&#20853;&#27861;&#65281;&#65374;", anyone know enough Japanese to give an opinion on it?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Importing Photokano Kiss, will be interesting to brute force this with my beginner japanese :p

Also I caved and picked up Gurumin (thanks to a recommendation by Totobeni) and Earth Defense force.

Anyone know if portable ops is playable on U.S. vitas yet? I was thinking about picking it up but I would have a much easier decision if they were confirmed.

Omlagus

Nicely done Grimmy. Guacamelee and Soul Sacrifice for me too. Plus whatever Indies catch my eye. Looking forward to another good month like March.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Still have no idea what soul sacrifice is. A character action game? Monster hunter clone?

I don't get the hype after watching some gameplay footage.

matmanx1

Guacamelee and Soul Sacrifice for sure for me this month. Feels like we've been waiting on Guacamelee for a long time so I'm glad it's finally almost here. Good looking OT for this month. Thanks for doing it.

Soul Sacrifice looks awesome, just saw a video of gameplay against a master, its definitely different with some nice art, for some reason it reminds me of folklore a bit but more dark, hope it gets some nice reviews.

Shouldn't the latest FW update have to fix issues with NLKS?
Booted up that little fucker (PSN EU version) after a kinda long time just to play 20 minutes then had console freeze pressing the PS button, forced reboot, and game save corrupted with all progress lost (@ 4th princess) and no save data backup online because I thought it was automatic with PLUS, instead I had to choose which game I wanted to...
Not feeling to start over again...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dead month for me. Oh well I got DOA5+ and Disgaea 3 to play.

OmegaZero

Nice thread.
It's going to be a mostly dead month for me until Soul Sacrifice comes out, but luckily I got the demo for it and Senran Kagura next week to keep me company until then.

Also, I approve of the Hikage import header.

Still have no idea what soul sacrifice is. A character action game? Monster hunter clone?

I don't get the hype after watching some gameplay footage.

It's a boss hunting game.
The first few levels will have you fighting small enemies, but most of them will involve you and a friend or two trying to take down a large monster in an enclosed arena (with smaller monsters also joining in the fight). You are rewarded with spells for completing missions and fulfilling certain objectives (spells are your weapons and items in this game).

The combat is fairly fast-paced and fluid. Much more so then MH.
The X button allows you to sprint, roll, and interact with things.
The L button allows you to lock on to monsters.
R swaps between your two spell loadouts (see below).

You can assign three spells of your choice to the square, triangle and circle buttons before missions. During combat, all you do to activate the spell is press the assigned button.
The effect of spells vary:
-Some activate immediately when you press the button.
-Some can be charged until you release the button for an amplified effect.
-Some transform you/arm you with a weapon.
-Some bestow a certain effect upon your for a limited time, like invincible rolls.
All spells have limited usage and eventually will become unusable. You can restore them through certain means, but I don't understand enough Japanese to give any specifics.

Once you kill a monster, you are given two choices to level yourself up:
-Press and hold L to Save a monster, boosting your Defense and Healing ability.
-Press and hold R to Sacrifice a monster, boosting your Attack.
You can focus on either or maintain a sort of balance between the two types of EXP.

There's more to it, but that's stuff you can look up on your own if the above interests you.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Nice thread.
It's going to be a mostly dead month for me until Soul Sacrifice comes out, but luckily I got the demo for it and Senran Kagura next week to keep me company until then.

Also, I approve of the Hikage import header.

It's a boss hunting game.
The first few levels will have you fighting small enemies, but most of them will involve you and a friend or two trying to take down a large monster in an enclosed arena (with smaller monsters also joining in the fight). You are rewarded with spells for completing missions and fulfilling certain objectives (spells are your weapons and items in this game).

The combat is fairly fast-paced and fluid. Much more so then MH.
The X button allows you to sprint, roll, and interact with things.
The L button allows you to lock on to monsters.
R swaps between your two spell loadouts (see below).

You can assign three spells of your choice to the square, triangle and circle buttons before missions. During combat, all you do to activate the spell is press the assigned button.
The effect of spells vary:
-Some activate immediately when you press the button.
-Some can be charged until you release the button.
-Some transform you/arm you with a weapon.
-Some bestow a certain effect upon your for a limited time, like invincible rolls.
All spells have limited usage and eventually will

Once you kill a monster, you are given two choices to level yourself up:
-Press and hold L to Save a monster, boosting your Defense and Healing ability.
-Press and hold R to Sacrifice a monster, boosting your Attack.
You can focus on either or maintain a sort of balance between the two types of EXP.

There's more to it, but that

So the game isn't really made with single player in mind? Bummer.

Corto

Great thread Grim! Soul Sacrifice and Guacamelee for me. Is that History: Legends of War really confirmed to release? I was searching a week or two ago for it and I couldn't found any definitive info on a Vita release.

Top Bottom