• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Warfare - a new Kickstarter project in the vein of Call of Duty

AB12

Nah, am gonna wait for Mall Cop Warface.

Trailer looks nice, but couldn't they come up with a better title.

haha but no seriously wait what

a class forever barred from anyone who doesn't pay one hundred bucks for the game on kickstarter

haha oh man

I really liked the trailer and the setting.
But I wish I know if all the missions are pre-set and/or their are going to be real heat moments.
If you can PLAN things ahead and if you can change your plan half way through if you notice is does not work.

Or is it just mission always the same and also standard deathmatch and TD.

Emitan

haha but no seriously wait what

a class forever barred from anyone who doesn't pay one hundred bucks for the game on kickstarter

haha oh man

sounds like they really care about gameplay balance.

they should put in a gun that does 1 more damage for every dollar i put in their pockets

i want dinosaur warfare. you're a dinosaur and you shoot guns

should i make kickstarter

Yes.

dinosaurs-for-hire-cover.jpg

This will get easily funded once people learn about it, simply because the Kickstarter page and the information it contains, is probably the best I've seen until now.

Card Boy

Banned
Actually watch the video guys, the CoD thing in the thread is misleading. It looks pretty interesting, I couldn't see the video before. It's basically a Battlefield game but set obviously in a Police warfare backdrop. They really need to change the name of the game IMO, too much stigma attached to it. The name Call of Duty isn't mentioned anywhere but by the OP.

.nimrod

Almost all artists and no programmers? That might explain why they don't even show some rudimentary gameplay prototype.

Not interested the slightest bit until i see some gameplay.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The fact that they're only asking for 325k means that I put no stock into this project.
Far be it from me to throw cold water on anyone's dream, but that proposed budget set off alarm bells like nobody's business. Bare minimum man-month costs X the amount of time it will take to make a B-tier downloadable shooter, never mind the heights they are stating...I don't see it. Not without outsourcing up the wazoo and a lot of work off the books internally.

Aselith

Far be it from me to throw cold water on anyone's dream, but that proposed budget set off alarm bells like nobody's business. Bare minimum man-month costs X the amount of time it will take to make a B-tier downloadable shooter, never mind the heights they are stating...I don't see it. Not without outsourcing up the wazoo and a lot of work off the books internally.

No doubt. They're asking just slightly over what the Takedown crew were looking for to make an alpha for investors and that game seems like it's going to have a much smaller scope anyways. Really a ridiculous amount to ask for something like this especially when they say they want to make it Battlefield scale? Just preposterous.

This will get easily funded once people learn about it, simply because the Kickstarter page and the information it contains, is probably the best I've seen until now.

I disagree. some mid level poly models. generic vehicles which you can purchase off turbosquid.

The only thing the trailer has going for it is the production value on that video - that said; if it really is 8 months of work; why isn't there more ingame stuff.

I think what would be really useful for this pitch would be

john doeA ubisoft lead level designer Xgame
john doeA actvision 3D modeller designer Xgame

we have the expertise.

I think the pitch is flashy but hollow.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't mind kickstarting FPSes, but this doesn't tingle my interest in the slightest, even if I'm finding a lot of fun recently in Payday: The Heist, and I yearly indulge myself with my dose of CoDs.

But I feel like I already have my arcady, real-world FPS needs covered. I want to kickstart something like STALKER or set in a fictional universe with crazy stuff that has me intrigued and interested.

that said; if it really is 8 months of work; why isn't there more ingame stuff.

That's very true, but we've seen Kickstarters funded with even less cards on their hands.

In any case, I am not donating, just as I haven't donated to any other Kickstarter. It's easier for me to make decisions on a final game's quality than wonder what my money is being used for, for the next few months.

Would a project taking inspiration from Quake 1 (Graphics and scale) be do able on this budget, I'm really hoping for a project like that.

Raide

FFS. Just make HEAT: The Game already.

Good job the game in the OP is based upon LA Police. The UK Police version would be sitting in cars waiting for speeders to go past and walking slowly down busy town streets! AAAA right there!

Zyzyxxz

Ok so possibly big money is behind this but when it does come out will it still costs $15?

I don't really see what's wrong with funding it and getting access to the beta, hell people paid a ton of money to import the Gamecube RE4 demo back in the day. What's $15 compared to getting fucked by $60 games that offer 5-6 hour singleplayer experiences now?

I like the concept and will probably fund it whether big money or not is involved. If it will be made whether kickstarter funds it or not then I'd still rather vote with my dollars for a game that interest me and that I would actually like to play.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm not arguing that it will not be funded. FPS is a genre that is wildly popular and not dying out soon, no matter what the hive mind would have you think. There is certainly room (I would argue more room) in the downloadable arena to support a venture like this.

But

BUT

The Staff roster is incredibly art/production heavy with no SE support that I can see. SEs, good ones who you would need to make something like this work, are not cheap. You are looking at anywhere from 12 to 15k per man month, more based on experience. Gameplay, online, AI, scripting, audio, and more. It ain't cheap.

Player balancing is also a quagmire. I know from experience. The number of people, dev test, focus groups, internal and external beta tests required to make it feel right...that all costs money. Good LDs cost money. Asset creation costs money, and if you are planning on outsourcing the majority of that to Eastern Europe or Asia (which you wouldn't do with that staff on board, right?) then you can plan on paying for an art outsource manager to ensure your neat guns don't come back with a 80k polycount and seams everywhere.

Carry all of that for a minimum additional 10 to 12 months (because that 6 months of preproduction doesn't mean jack without a technical director and lead SE on board to keep expectations in check) and you're looking at a project more with the 1.8-2.5m range...and that's with a lot of reduced salaries and project points in lieu of payment.

I see this as a stepping stone to make a playable vertical slice, not a fully funded project. The numbers, as presented, don't work.

remnant

Banned
Kickstarter isn't confined to being solely a venue for small indie games most people will download and never play. If there is a market for this game, people will support it. I just hope the anger against shooters won't dictate how this game is treated by gaming journalists.

Kickstarter isn't confined to being solely a venue for small indie games most people will download and never play. If there is a market for this game, people will support it. I just hope the anger against shooters won't dictate how this game is treated by gaming journalists.
You are mistaking hating a terrible project that is ripping off things we already get multiple times a year for hate towards a genre.

I remember this. I was one of the many that wanted to say "Shut up and take my money!" but clearly they don't know how to take the money.

The rewards are full of shit. The price ranges are full of shit. All they needed to do was follow something Double Fine did. How hard is that?

Fuck content locked up for $100+ users only. I rather play Payday.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't hate the project. That would be silly. I love cops n robbers, love FPS games, and love seeing new IP.

I am, however, stating that what's being proposed and the budget put forward on Kickstarter don't add up. I'd take it a lot more seriously if they just asked for 1.5m - it would at least signify that the numbers are in the right wheelhouse. Probably wouldn't get it, based on lack of track record as a group, but it would still be an improvement. If they hit this number, or even double, that won't hit what is being put forth as the final project.

Best of luck to 'em but I'm going to sit this one out.

Zyzyxxz

I'm not arguing that it will not be funded. FPS is a genre that is wildly popular and not dying out soon, no matter what the hive mind would have you think. There is certainly room (I would argue more room) in the downloadable arena to support a venture like this.

But

BUT

The Staff roster is incredibly art/production heavy with no SE support that I can see. SEs, good ones who you would need to make something like this work, are not cheap. You are looking at anywhere from 12 to 15k per man month, more based on experience. Gameplay, online, AI, scripting, audio, and more. It ain't cheap.

Player balancing is also a quagmire. I know from experience. The number of people, dev test, focus groups, internal and external beta tests required to make it feel right...that all costs money. Good LDs cost money. Asset creation costs money, and if you are planning on outsourcing the majority of that to Eastern Europe or Asia (which you wouldn't do with that staff on board, right?) then you can plan on paying for an art outsource manager to ensure your neat guns don't come back with a 80k polycount and seams everywhere.

Carry all of that for a minimum additional 10 to 12 months (because that 6 months of preproduction doesn't mean jack without a technical director and lead SE on board to keep expectations in check) and you're looking at a project more with the 1.8-2.5m range...and that's with a lot of reduced salaries and project points in lieu of payment.

I see this as a stepping stone to make a playable vertical slice, not a fully funded project. The numbers, as presented, don't work.

Good points, while I am excited by the concept even I must admit the numbers don't make sense in comparison to Wasteland 2 which will be isometric and possibly look like Fallout 2 HD? I won't pledge any money until I see more transparency because the team can't be doing this out of goodwill since they need to get paid.

Keasar

The premise does sound interesting, I only wonder if they can pull this kind of project off with a small team like that.

Also, when you have reached a stage as a police force that looks like this:
I think it is time to call in the US Army and declare California a offical war zone. :p

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
ah good, looks like this little kickstarter experiment will run its course in the calendar year or less. Thars gold in them thar internet hills, Billy! Git yer gun and le's go a kickstartin'!

Aselith

But

BUT

SE is sound engineer right? The lead designer is a sound engineer so maybe he's playing to do dual duty on the product or is a sound engineer and sound designer two separate jobs?

I wish them all the luck, but their lead designer has a strange road to becoming one. Sound Designer, Lead Sound Designer, to Lead Designer? Also a lot of them used to work at Artificial Studios with Tim Johnson who wrote/developed Reality Engine (that demo was in 2004 on a ATI 9700).

ah good, looks like this little kickstarter experiment will run its course in the calendar year or less. Thars gold in them thar internet hills, Billy! Git yer gun and le's go a kickstartin'!

Nope, this probably won't get funding.

There have been shit project before this one and there will be after this, trying to extrapolat anything from this is a fool's errand.

Chris_C

It looks quite professional and very well made... but I doubt this will gain much traction. I think projects on Kickstarter that are successful tend to promise to fill a niche.

Top Bottom