• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2017 - Hopes. Dreams. Predictions

decisions

I really hope they make a sequel to DmC and not make dmc5 . DmC was a fantastic game that deserves a sequel.

You know what else was a fantastic game that deserved a sequel? The fastest selling in its franchise? DMC4!

Ahhhh you DmC apologist people. Relatively shallow gameplay, weak character designs/art, horrible writing that took itself way too seriously, terrible idea of "cool".

Can't believe one of my like, top three favorite franchises is still in limbo because of a game like that. Not to mention the douchey developer comments surrounding it.

DmC all day baby
You always got my back Sanji!
3761552-9055789854-ltBRG.gif

Careful not to step on all that edge mate.

Newk86

Confirmation of European localisations of Dragon Quest XI 3DS, Monster Hunter XX, and most of all, Alliance Alive.

I try not to overhype myself but that 2nd trailer (linked) showing multiple characters, overworld map, overworld vehicles - several of which, PUZZLES, and hopefully a better story focus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntBPmv_25nU

Newk86

Also an Uncharted 4 + new DLC physical disc/bundle version would be nice as still yet to play. Hopefully with some cool cover too and not just some discount platinum thing.

Ahasverus

2D Castlevania
Red Dead
Spiderman

All else is secondary. I'd love to be surprised with a traditional Konami slate (MGS + CV + SH)

From my perspective, this could be the most interesting E3 in a while. The big 3 all have pretty big stakes. Microsoft has to show why the Scorpio will be worth the 400 or 500 dollar upgrade and they NEED to show new exclusives. They really don't have any sort of advantage when compared to Playstation's lineup, especially considering Playstation's exclusive agreements with Destiny and Call of Duty. The Switch needs to keep up its momentum with Mario and other new announcements since Mario is really the only announced game they have this holiday. And Sony has been on a hot streak and they already have released lots of first class exclusives this year and they still have GOW, Spider Man, Uncharted the Lost Legacy, Death Stranding, Detroit, Last of Us 2, Days Gone. Im looking forward to all conferences and will actually be going to E3 this year so I can't wait to try out some of the games announced. Especially since a lot of the games from Microsoft and Nintendo will be surprises.

Late response but I agree with you that Nintendo and MS need to show new games, mostly MS. However, where are these games from MS going to come from? They have no internal studios to make all these games we want them to produce. If that's not bad enough, the entire company has made it obvious they want to steer towards making games as a service multiplayer focused titles ala Sea of Theives. They've been burned over and over on failed AAA single player endeavors this gen, as misguided as those attempts were, but are still making money on multiplayer focused games. Their research shows silly people with money love paying out for colors on fake guns.

Meanwhile, Nintendo, I remind you held an E3 last year revolved around a single game. You think they are going to do what everyone thinks and expects them to? Nah. In their minds they will be showing off 3 brand new upcoming games in Splatoon 2, Arms, and Mario. They are also riding high on positive press in the first time in a long time, so they aren't feeling any heat. You will be lucky to get a single announcement out of them.

Late response but I agree with you that Nintendo and MS need to show new games, mostly MS. However, where are these games from MS going to come from? They have no internal studios to make all these games we want them to produce. If that's not bad enough, the entire company has made it obvious they want to steer towards making games as a service multiplayer focused titles ala Sea of Theives. They've been burned over and over on failed AAA single player endeavors this gen, as misguided as those attempts were, but are still making money on multiplayer focused games. Their research shows silly people with money love paying out for colors on fake guns.

Meanwhile, Nintendo, I remind you held an E3 last year revolved around a single game. You think they are going to do what everyone thinks and expects them to? Nah. In their minds they will be showing off 3 brand new upcoming games in Splatoon 2, Arms, and Mario. They are also riding high on positive press in the first time in a long time, so they aren't feeling any heat. You will be lucky to get a single announcement out of them.

Yeah, you have a pretty valid point with Microsoft. I mean they have to have studios to make all of those new IPs but they could also do what they did with sunset overdrive and get another studio to make the exclusives (also like what they were going to do with scalebound). All the recent gaming announcement/trailers that look nothing like the final game have kept me pretty cautious about getting excited for anything gaming related lately but I still have some hope. As for nintendo, again you might be right. Nintendo likes to drip feed content so this year's focus will probably be primarily ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Mario.

vall03

Someone that is not Atlus USA or Sega announcing Etrian Odyssey V. Don't care about anything else. Just this one, fucking please!

Yes, Nintendo have a lot of bigger IPs/Franchises. There's no denying Splatoon 2 will be a big focus and is a huge game for them, ARMS will also be a big focus,DQ11, I also completely forgot that a new SMT game was teased a while back and should all be either imminent release or far enough along to get a release date. They should show several new games, and most of them will be really damn good, as Nintendo usually is, but I'll be disappointed if I don't see one of the bigger games that would get me excited (Can swap Metroid for Bayonetta, W102, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, DK).

The SMT game was actually confirmed to be in very early stages of development. I don't expect to see it release anytime sooner than summer/fall of 2018. Especially since iirc it'll be the first HD project in the MegaTen series. (excluding Persona 5, of course)

Lakitu

st5fu
I want something out of left field to completely surprise me and get me excited...

Sony: Really looking forward to seeing some all-new gameplay of God of War. I'm not a fan of the original games but the gameplay last year got me really excited. I'm also holding out a slither of hope to see something from The Last of Us Part II.

CDPR: Cyberpunk2077. But it won't happen, at all. I'm a realist.

From Software: I would absolutely love to see something from their new ARPG but it's unlikely. I'll have to settle for Armored Core.

Bethesda: Whatever new IP Bethesda Game Studios is working on next, whether that is Starfield or not. Again, it's a very slim chance but who knows.

Honorable Mentions: Bioware's Dylan, Red Dead Redemption 2, Death Stranding, Code Vein, Destiny 2, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Shenmue III

sinonobu

Banned

They just did a big blowout on Arms with the Direct and there's really nothing much to show for Splatoon 2 as they already revealed new game mode and single player. I agree that they'll focus on Mario Oddyssey but I think we will see some unannounced Q3~Q4 titles like rumored Pokemon Stars, or Mario+Rabbids and even some early 2018 titles like Animal Crossing or Smash.

I hope there are news of Red Ash even if it's just the cancellation of the game. Aside from that I wanna see Code Vein and if the IP is not dead then also Freedom Wars 2.

oti

Banned
With Tennis World Tour announced my biggest dream has already been announced, bummer it won't show up at E3 though.

I want to see that rumoured Harry Potter game real bad.

Persona 5 on Switch would be nice. So would some collections, like a Dark Souls or FF XIII collection.

From Sony I don't know what to expect. Giving dates for all their announced stuff might be enough for an entire presser, but of course I want to see some surprises.

I don't expect anything from MS that would interest me tbh. Hope I'll be proven wrong though.

borges

Banned
Hopes:
-> Scorpio SKU at 399, launch date late August.
-> Halo 5 4K, 60fps with a new single player DLC
-> Playground's non FH title teaser / trailer
-> Revamped MCC at 4K, including missing games
-> GAAS to be usd60 per year

Dreams:
-> Scorpio bundle at 299 when GAAS sub for one year included
-> Xbox Live Multiplayer to become free.
-> All Xbox Games to be XPA
-> Minecraft 2
-> H3 Anniversary, 4K / 60FPS
-> Destiny 2 and RDR2 at 4K / 60FPS on Scorpio
-> GAAS to be strongly discounted for Xbox Live Gold Members (70% off like)

Predictions:
-> Scorpio SKU at 449, launch date late November
-> Destiny 2 and RDR2 to be almost identical to PS4PRO versions
-> GAAS to be usd99 per year

Microsoft announcing:

Perfect Dark reboot
Battletoads reboot
Fable reboot

Exclusive RPG (seriously lacking in rpg department)

A couple other exclusives

Purchase / formation of new Studios

$400 Scorpio

I feel MS needs to go big or go home. They can rely on 'the best place to play multiplats' with Scorpio for a little bit while they put some serious work into game development. I hope they announce projects 1-3 years away (I know they said they wouldn't) and create an unstoppable hype train.

Sesha

I really hope they make a sequel to DmC and not make dmc5 . DmC was a fantastic game that deserves a sequel.

That's not gonna happen. DmC 2 was originally intended to come out 2.5-3 years after DmC. Capcom has moved away from overseas outsourcing, and according to Tameem, Ninja Theory's biggest title at the moment is Hellblade.

The big one is Devil May Cry 5 is announced and that it looks glorious.

I've also been in a Star Wars kick lately, so I hope to see good things about Battlefront II and that other EA project.

Kthulhu

New Metroid please. I know it won't happen​but I want it anyway.

Hopefully Nintendo will backtrack on their online situation.

Predicting the Scorpio will have a dumb name and will just be the Xbox equivalent of a PS4 Pro.

The PC gaming conference will suck, as usual.

Bethesda will tease something big that'll get people hyped.

The Ubisoft conference will have some weird thing. Probably a new AC game.

Sony will show off the games they teased and announced last year.

Pantz

Hope: Cyberpunk 2077 in-game teaser.
Dream: Lost Odyssey 2
Prediction: Orchestral FFVIIR music will give me some tears of joy.

DKHF

Mix of hopes, dreams and predictions:

KHIII long trailer showing 3 new Disney worlds, story, new Shimomura music and its release window. I think a trailer like this will be shown/released on June 10 at the first LA KH concert. Also a demo playable on the showfloor or for press would be nice
Spider-Man stage demo + blowout. Dream would be a late 2017/early 2018 release but I doubt it (thus I call it a dream)
Red Dead Redemption 2 stage demo/or trailer at the Sony conference, still releasing in 2017
God of War gets an October 2017 release date (dream, I expect it in March)
FFVIIR stage demo, Tifa and Aerith revealed and shown in gameplay. Breakdown of what will be covered in part 1. Part 1 in 2018 confirmed
Ni no Kuni II trailer and gameplay. Dream is it doesn't slip to 2018
Demon's Souls remastered is Bluepoint's next project (this is a prediction and hope)
Dragon Quest XI western release announcement and release window announced
Shenmue remasters
Meaty first trailer for Amy Hennig's Star Wars game. Releasing in spring 2018
MS Marvel exclusive (as has been suggested), that could make me interested in getting an Xbox One

PinballRJ

Microsoft:
Ninja Gaiden reboot
Every game on stage is play-anywhere
FromSoftware new IP (timed exclusive)

Sony:
Suckerpunch new IP
Horizon DLC
Tony Hawk reboot

Nintendo:
Metroid
Kirby