• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comey agrees to testify in OPEN session before Senate intel committee

Loxley

I've watched the other testimonies Comey has given to the intel committee and I have learned what to expect at this point:

- No major bombshells or damning statements implicating anyone in particular - if anything Comey will likely spend most of his time just refuting a lot of the bullshit Trump has been spewing since he fired Comey.
- Since the investigation is ongoing (and expanding) we'll likely be hearing a lot of "I cannot/will not comment on that at this time."
- Expect the Dems on the committee to be the only ones asking questions about Russia + the Trump campaign
- Expect Republicans on the committee to try and steer the conversation to #EMAILS and #leakers.

I'm really hoping one of the Dems straight-up asks Comey if Trump asked for his loyalty.

Someone photoshop trump into this DN portrait:
file_166393_0_dnf_come_get_some_header.jpg

o5ypx.jpg

You orange bastard, come get some! I hope the senate rips his head off and shits down his neck.

HotHamBoy

It's in Reuters Legal

https://twitter.com/reuterslegal/status/865692203187920896

Things people do who are guilty AF

Edit: the ethics rule may stymie investigations by Mueller, into Jared and manafort.

I'm not really worried about this. If the DoJ, who appointed Mueller, can waive it away.

How many rules has Trump broken that the GOP has looked the other way on?

This isn't a thing until it's a thing and even then it can only make things worse, IMO.

I've watched the other testimonies Comey has given to the intel committee and I have learned what to expect at this point:

- No major bombshells or damning statements implicating anyone in particular - if anything Comey will likely spend most of his time just refuting a lot of the bullshit Trump has been spewing since he fired Comey.
- Since the investigation is ongoing (and expanding) we'll likely be hearing a lot of "I cannot/will not comment on that at this time."
- Expect the Dems on the committee to be the only ones asking questions about Russia + the Trump campaign
- Expect Republicans on the committee to try and steer the conversation to #EMAILS and #leakers.

I'm really hoping one of the Dems straight-up asks Comey if Trump asked for his loyalty.

This was all before he was fired, when he was actively involved in the investigation.

Game Guru

If Comey agreed to testify, then Mueller agreed that he should testify, and if they both think that testifying in OPEN session is worth it, then shit is going to hit the fan on Memorial Day. Mueller and Comey know when they need to keep something a complete secret until the perfect time to reveal it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I think certain congressmen, and Comey in particular, understand how the open aspect of this investigation is extremely important. Mueller will do his thing, but the public interest shouldn't be held together simply with calculated IC leaks.

This all sounds like the plot of an episode of 24. Are anyone else terrified that something might happen? With everything that has happened, could you imagine if Russia / Trumps Administration tried to do something?

It seems totally far fetched but with everything that has happened... I mean, nothing would surprise me at this point.

KHarvey16

You should watch his testimony about rushing to the hospital to prevent Bush administration officials from taking advantage of John Ashcroft while he was in the hospital. It could be a very interesting hearing.

subrock

I'm skeptical too. I'm expecting a bunch of questions to go unanswered on classified information, leads currently under investigation, and stuff that he is out of the loop on since he was fired. As usual, the GOP will go after character assassination. I think the whole point of this will be to put the contents of the memo on the record to set up obstruction of justice charges.

What are the chances Trump just absconds to Russia?

The only way that would happen is if they wanted him to continue as a mouthpiece for the anti-government movement. Given his age, I don't think they'd take him. They'd stand to benefit more from him being jailed and his followers continuing to doubt his ties to Russia.

Edit: Comey's only going to say enough to make sure that the FBI can continue to get the support that they need. They're not going to lay all their cards out now to risk compromising the investigation. For instance, if they had some leads about audio recordings or e-mail logs, you'd see the Trump team erasing all of those records.

NandoGip

People: do not think this is the end. Comey might say things opposite of what you expect. Or opposing sides can use their power to even the odds. My entire point is be realistic with your expectations

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fun for jokes, but remember that Trump still believes that a) Everyone still loves him and b) He'll get away with it, just like he's gotten away with stiffing contractors, stealing money from students, refusing to house African Americans, paying taxes etc etc etc.

His entire life he has somehow miraculously skated from scandal to scandal by suing the very people he owes money to and bankrupting himself and anyone who goes near him, time and time again.

He has apparently had over 2000 civil suits, making him one of the most litigious individuals on EARTH. That alone is a staggering fact.

And he more or less, ends up on top, somehow.

So Trump's not going to Russia. Because he's going to treat a criminal inquiry like a Civil case and make an absolute ass of it.

Slaythe

Don't forget Graham asking who unmasked Flynn 5 times to make this a complete Comey show.

People: do not think this is the end. Comey might say things opposite of what you expect. Or opposing sides can use their power to even the odds. My entire point is be realistic with your expectations

This. I know things have EXPLODED this past week, but we need to keep a cool head here.

We can't assume that Comey's going to suddenly drop a bombshell that will be the finishing blow. We watch it, see what happens, and predict what happens next based on the facts.

As much as I'm sure most of you would like to believe otherwise, this isn't E3. No matter what happens, if you go in expecting megatons, you'll most likely be disappointed.

Control yourselves, and we'll see what happens.

That obstruction of justice KO is on the way, that's the only reason I can see that Comey would testify. Time to send the calling card.

Nekofrog

Banned

Really, these people are going to be fighting for their lives, freedom, and most important of all their money. as stupid as they are, they will still be dangerous

IrishNinja

On my way to better things
(No time left for you) I found myself some wings
(No time left for you) Distant roads are callin' me
(No time left for you), da da da da da

No time for a summer friend
No time for the love you send
Seasons change and so did I
You need not wonder why
You need not wonder why
There's no time left for you
No time left for you