• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U announced - "Rethink the conventions of Zelda"

Coolwhip

Banned
This wait will be long and painful :(

I hope Nintendo realise how handholding and tutorials are killing Zelda though. Please make that optional mr. Aonuma.

Mileena

Banned
This is good. Please don't force me to use bad control gimmicks pleasepleaseplease

While we're at it port TP and SS with normal controls so I can catch up

I'm worried about making the game too non-linear. If you make the dungeons doable in any order you inevitably have to reduce the puzzle complexity and use of items that define the 3D games.
Absolutely my worry with non-linear Zelda.

I'm hoping they can address this by gradually increasing the amount of available dungeons. Maybe not all of them in any order but the first 3 then the next 3 or 4.
The outer/inner dungeon mechanic was brilliant. Everything on the ground really did feel like on giant dungeon. Now they just need to keep that aspect and vastly expand the scope. It needs an infusion of Xenoblade in the respect.
I really dislike the outer/inner dungeon mechanic personally. I don't really enjoy SS dungeons but I'm beginning to wonder if it can be attributed partially to this change in pacing. The whole damn game becomes interconnected micro-tasks and dungeons loose their purpose of being a focused challenge. Luckily for me this would probably have to go in a more non-linear Zelda.

duckroll

Absolutely my worry with non-linear Zelda.

I'm hoping they can address this by gradually increasing the amount of available dungeons. Maybe not all of them in any order but the first 3 then the next 3 or 4.

Here's another thought: what if the interior of a dungeon changes depending on your progress in the game? The item which you get in a given dungeon, and the visual theme and enemies you face in that dungeon are always the same, but the layout and puzzles are altered depending on how many other dungeons you have beaten at this point and what items you have available.

This wouldn't change the boss battles much either, because most of them are tied specifically to the item you get in that dungeon anyway.

Something like this could make the game much more fun to replay too.

takriel

Very excited about this.

Maybe we'll get some info on Zelda 3DS in the next Nintendo Direct for 3DS as well, seeing as how they were ready to talk about Zelda Wii U today. I can totally see this coming now!

Seems like an oxymoron in the title.

Well, not if the conventions have been introduced after the first games. In my eyes they thought of the conventions introduced with the 3D games (and partly LTTP) and instead want to go back to the basics of the very first Zelda which was somewhat non-linear.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd like this.

I'm willing to bet you wouldn't like what the end result would probably be though. Everyone else should have dialogue but I think people have this idea of Link in their head and no voice would fit for most people.

As for open world I'll take it. I just don't want motion control sword swinging like SS, much less fetch quests and waaaay less handholding.

Well, not if the conventions have been introduced after the first games. In my eyes they thought of the conventions introduced with the 3D games (and partly LTTP) and instead want to go back to the basics of the very first Zelda which was somewhat non-linear.

That makes sense.

I associate myself more with the 3D games personally, so that's the angle I was coming at it from.

I don't really also think of Zelda as being linear, but I mean I guess it is in all honesty.

Midou

I'm willing to bet you wouldn't like what the end result would probably be though. Everyone else should have dialogue but I think people have this idea of Link in their head and no voice would fit for most people.

As for open world I'll take it. I just don't want motion control sword swinging like SS, much less fetch quests and waaaay less handholding.

I liked sword fighting in SS but hated all the other motion stuff. I would love to have an option to use motion controls and Wii-mote, as well as having a full WiiU tablet control scheme. Then I could judge which one I use by how the game plays out.

Plus I agree everyone but Link could be voiced and still have it work out well. There are tons of games with great voice acting, if its done well, no one should really be able to complain. I don't mind too much though. Link should definitely stay silent though, because he doesn't talk in the first place, there is nothing to voice.

I don't know...there's a 50/50 chance, true.

But hey, I was pleasantly surprised with Pit's voice in Kid Icarus Uprising. I think they could probably pull something good off.

Here's another thought: what if the interior of a dungeon changes depending on your progress in the game? The item which you get in a given dungeon, and the visual theme and enemies you face in that dungeon are always the same, but the layout and puzzles are altered depending on how many other dungeons you have beaten at this point and what items you have available.

This wouldn't change the boss battles much either, because most of them are tied specifically to the item you get in that dungeon anyway.

I like that. I like it alot.

If they can do this and still make the dungeons feel like one big cohesive puzzle I'd be so on board.

arab

i don't trust you nintendo. the king has already been crowned:

dark-souls-logo.jpg

LONG LIVE THE KING

7Th

This thread depresses me; open world is the CANCER killing gaming. You can be non-linear without being open world.

duckroll

i don't trust you nintendo. the king has already been crowned:

dark-souls-logo.jpg

LONG LIVE THE KING

Since my message wasn't clear enough the last time, I guess I have to make an example of how unacceptable it is to try and derail a thread this way.

DaBoss

This is good. Please don't force me to use bad control gimmicks pleasepleaseplease

While we're at it port TP and SS with normal controls so I can catch up
Play GC version? On dolphin if you want to have it in HD.
I don't know...there's a 50/50 chance, true.

But hey, I was pleasantly surprised with Pit's voice in Kid Icarus Uprising. I think they could probably pull something good off.

Well to be fair, Pit was pretty much dead, and really didn't have an personality before Uprising, so it was easy for them to create a character for Pit. With Link, that's another story.

Pejo

*sigh* multiplayer. I hope it's local with a gamepad and/or optional for the full experience at least. I don't have huge faith with Nintendo + online.

This thread depresses me; open world is the CANCER killing gaming. You can be non-linear without being open world.

Well, this is all guesses and "reading between the lines" so don't take this too serious. At least that they want to go away from the strict linear structure is what you can understand from the Nintendo Direct.

DaBoss

*sigh* multiplayer. I hope it's local with a gamepad and/or optional for the full experience at least. I don't have huge faith with Nintendo + online.

When was it confirmed there was multiplayer? It says play by yourself, which I assume means less handholding.

7Th

Well, this all guesses and "reading between the lines" so don't take this too serious. At least that they want to go away from the strict linear structure is what you can understand from the Nintendo Direct.

What depresses me is the fact that people are actually looking forward to a game being ruined by going "open world".

RagnarokX

I had this thought years ago where dungeons could be done in any order and the dungeons change based on what items you have. It would add a ton of replayability to the game, but I think it would make the game too complex to develop. If there were 7 dungeons, you'd basically have to make 6 factorial + 1 dungeons. 721 dungeons.

duckroll

But Zelda has always been an "open world" game since the first title. I think people are just misusing the word here. It's really kinda dumb.

I had this thought years ago where dungeons could be done in any order and the dungeons change based on what items you have. It would add a ton of replayability to the game, but I think it would make the game too complex to develop. If there were 7 dungeons, you'd basically have to make 6 factorial + 1 dungeons. 721 dungeons.

Nah, that's not really true. You don't redesign every single dungeon. What you do is when you design one basic layout, you just consider how other items could be possibly used. You can also design rooms which have multiple different solutions based on what items you might or might not have. It would be more like designing 7 really big dungeons, and a player only seeing a portion of that design.

Kamek

I really don't want voice acting. I think it'll take me out of the immersion of a new Zelda. If they do go that route, PLEASE no voice acting for Link.

Hopefully there will be lots of secrets, secret areas, secret bosses, basically secret everything, with this one.

Derrick01

Banned

That's only because western devs are taking the easy way out by designing open world games. Lazy stuff like filling the map up with icons of pointless activities that are more chores than fun. There's no written rule that says that HAS to happen though.

bdouble

Ive posted it before and I thought they would do something like this. Now lets see how far they take it.

Very simply they could make it like Dark Souls progression where you die a lot and always go back to the beginning of the world or Village spawning a new Link. One who has all your key items and the environment shortcuts opened from your previous characters but the enemies have repopulated.

Progression is then done by finding items. Items give you new strategies and also unlocks new paths and environments.

I think they could pull it off. It would be like dropping you into an original Zelda HD forest not knowing a damn thing. Just a chest full of mysterious items and a sweet green outfit. It fits with the idea of the series having multiple Links and what not too.

Azure J

Since my message wasn't clear enough the last time, I guess I have to make an example of how unacceptable it is to try and derail a thread this way.

Hot damn.

Anyway, all this info is making me too damn giddy for a friggin' Wednesday morning. I need to go ly dow.

Top Bottom