• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Pyrrhus

Yeah, no save point til the very end of the ruins. I'd recommend going through and loading up on gold and leveling up a few times, getting the ravel ore from the chests, and then heading back to town and upgrading. Then make your way to the end. Trust me, you'll want to be as upgraded as possible when you get to the end of it. Even if it means going through the ruins 2 or 3 times (should be a breeze after the first run due to the higher level and better equipment).

Yeah, it's definitely wise to go back and stock up. My favorite place to grind a few quick levels is that room a bit more than halfway through the ruins where you head up and there's a chest with Raval in it and a gate that closes behind you until you kill about six small, durable enemies. Those enemies give good XP and you can kill them, then exit the room and return immediately to continually build up your XP multiplier to further speed things along. Gained three levels in about as many minutes.

Varion

Just bought. I loved the other Ys games on my PSP, never played any of them on PC. DOes it control okay on kb/m? or is it unplayable?
On normal or whatever it's fine, I've beaten it on normal and with a bit of trouble beaten everything but the final boss on hard. Much easier with a pad though.

Visceir

I can get through dungeons just fine but the bosses seem awfully tough, I just spent a good 2 hours trying to beat Guilen. Not complaining, just making an observation.

Also, up until this point I haven't grinded any levels.

Aeana

I can get through dungeons just fine but the bosses seem awfully tough, I just spent a good 2 hours trying to beat Guilen. Not complaining, just making an observation.

Also, up until this point I haven't grinded any levels.

One level makes a dramatic difference, so if you really are up against a wall, just gaining one will help a lot.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just lost like an hour in the deep mines thanks to the giant gulfing gaps between save points.

Fuck.

Saroyan

Well I finally got the game running stable now, for some reason its fine if I run the DX8 version. Just cleared the lava zone and loving this game. The boss fights are pretty exciting :)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just lost like an hour in the deep mines thanks to the giant gulfing gaps between save points.

Fuck.
You can always teleport to the last save point and save again, then try a different route etc, rather than go back and forth all the time while looking for the real way and inevitably also encountering dead ends with chests and what not.

Edit: wait, I forget if you can or not by that point, I don't remember location names to know what those mines are.

Unless later dungeons are way too lengthy and you get lost etc, I'm only at the 3rd or 4th
ice caves, whatever that is

Game has also been very easy since that boss that gave me trouble, including (sub?) bosses. But I might have kinda caused it by saving all my money until now and buying the best armor the shop had before this part. Still no new sword though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Someone compared this to "Secret Of Mana but on steroids", would this be accurate?

Hmm... yeah, that's pretty reasonable.

Actually, maybe I'm way off here, but this game has always felt like an overhead Symphony of the Night to me... something about the way the combat works and the awesome music and the feeling of exploration.

Aeana

Someone compared this to "Secret Of Mana but on steroids", would this be accurate?

No, because Secret of Mana's combat is as far away from Ys's as you can possibly get. It's slow, and your attacks are limited by that stupid recharge bar. SoM is the game that made me hate action RPGs, and Oath is one of the games that made me love them again.

Actually, maybe I'm way off here, but this game has always felt like an overhead Symphony of the Night to me... something about the way the combat works and the awesome music and the feeling of exploration.

No, because Secret of Mana's combat is as far away from Ys's as you can possibly get. It's slow, and your attacks are limited by that stupid recharge bar. SoM is the game that made me hate action RPGs, and Oath is one of the games that made me love them again.

Thanks guys.

Might have to pick it up when I get some time.

Honestly, the fighting in this game kinda reminds me of new Ninja Gaiden; Adol's speed and responsiveness (most of the time lol), combos all day, enemies that relentlessly come at you, etc.

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I don't know how to advance. I just seem to reach dead ends up in the mountains. I'm wondering if that's even where I'm supposed to go. I get
past the midpoint save and reach either the slippery area at the bottom, or go up to two sealed doors that look crackable. That's it. I'm supposed to find Dogi, I think. I haven't found the special shoes that the guy in town mentioned, either

Does anyone have recommends controller inputs for the 360 controller? And what are some of the graphic settings you should crank up for this game?

new to the series btw.

Sara

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I don't know how to advance. I just seem to reach dead ends up in the mountains. I'm wondering if that's even where I'm supposed to go. I get
past the midpoint save and reach either the slippery area at the bottom, or go up to two sealed doors that look crackable. That's it. I'm supposed to find Dogi, I think. I haven't found the special shoes that the guy in town mentioned, either

Have you beaten
the Abandoned Mines boss, Istersiva
?
You can actually go to the Mountains as soon as you're able to double jump so some people don't realize at first that you can go deeper into the mines.
Of course, if you have, then
you should be able to advance through the ice caves until you eventually reach the boss there, as long as you've seen the events in town first, so
, just keep looking.

Edit: Wow, maybe that was kinda annoying...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

You likely need to Check in with the Mayer.

SYNTAX182

Just got it. So so good. Anyone reading this and don't have it, please pick it up as I want more Ys and Falcom games on Steam. :-}

Koroviev

I hate all of you. This month has been so brutal, but I really want to see more Japanese games on Steam. It's probably going to be a while before I can really dive in, but I wanted to give this my vote of approval.

Edit: In other words: bought. I pray that no other month this year tops March because I can't afford it.

LowParry

Haven't had a chance to start playing this again. I've purchase it and will install at some point. Just trying to finish up some other games before starting this up. Glad to see people are enjoying this game. :D

manzo

Even though I've finished Ys III more than 20 times (one of my favorite games ever), the last time I finished the PC version was in 2005 when the game came out. I still remember all the tricks to break this game. :)

Buy the 2500 gold armor and 1800 gold shield from the shop before going to the 1st boss in Illburns. If you have them, the lava level is a cakewalk, with the 1st boss dealing around 0-1 damage to you.

Also for grinders, the small bugs in the lower level of the lava field are great for grinding.

Netto-kun

Update details.

This update fixes some issues that users have been reporting on the forums, and some extra error handling to help debug issues moving forward. The patch notes:

- Added an option to disable movie playback.
- Made some minor corrections to the text.
- Fixed some issues related to a couple achievements.
- Fixed some bugs with control configuration.
- Fixed an issue with a texture in the Zone of Lava.
- Enabled generation of crash dumps to assist troubleshooting.

A short trailer added to the store page as well.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wonder if it made the config stuff less finnicky.

Well anyway...

Playing the game without streaming it is so much better. Xsplit made the game stutter and drop frames, which made things kinda difficult.

Tesseract

Banned
yo video game programmer peoples, can you please add an option to remove the awful text chirp noise? some things are better left dead.

Volcynika

Ok? I didn't say I couldn't dodge, it just feels much clunkier since you can't block or do normal things in it. Obviously this game is older than Ys 7 so I'm not sure why you're mad I think the gameplay is better in a later entry in the series.

When was I mad? I'm not mad. I have zero anger! Zero! Zero.

zoku88

So, after failing to get my playstation 3 controller working at all (I think there is a driver problem), I tried just using my arcade sick. It actually went pretty well.

Top Bottom