• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much longer will xbox 360 be supported?

Recall

With lots of games still on their way and speculated cross gen titles coming into the mic also, how much longer do we think games will be developed for the Xbox 360?

Will it be like PS2 which had games coming out for it up until last year? When will we see Xbox 360 live services been shut off like what happened with the original Xbox?

I know the new generation is upon us, so how long is left for the current one?

commedieu

Banned
With lots of games still on their way and speculated cross gen titles coming into the mic also, how much longer do we think games will be developed for the Xbox 360?

Will it be like PS2 which had games coming out for it up until last year? When will we see Xbox 360 live services been shut off like what happened with the original Xbox?

I know the new generation is upon us, so how long is left for the current one?
how much money do you got?

edit:

Third parties will hold the 360 alive for years especially when they announce a mini at E3.

First party support though? Heh.

They say that they will continue supporting 360, but they moved Ryse (360 game announced 2 years ago) to XB1, and I don't remember too many announced but not released 360 first party games (Crimson Dragon?).

So the support will come by the third party, and multiplatform PS3-360, probably some good titles during 2014, and then sports iteration during 2015 and maybe even 2016.

They say that they will continue supporting 360, but they moved Ryse (360 game announced 2 years ago) to XB1, and I don't remember too many announced but not released 360 first party games (Crimson Dragon?).

So the support will come by the third party, and multiplatform PS3-360, probably some good titles during 2014, and then sports iteration during 2015 and maybe even 2016.

I suspect they're going to move the Crimson Dragon IP to Xbox One.

Copenap

For games: third party for a long time (I'd say at least 1-2 years) just like PS4. First party is pretty much done.

Xbl: as long as they are making more money than the infrastructure costs them.

Savitar

Considering the original console was pretty much done with when the 360 came out I'm not betting much longer.

It's about the new, not the old.

i think they have a lot of exclusives. some JRPGs like blue dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Also most of cave shooters and things similar
Maybe he wants a Japanese Import 360 to play all the Japanese import games.

Edit: Beaten -_-
2d scrolling blast em ups

PS3 doesn't really have anything interesting to import, except the upcoming Ketsui release.

Thanks. I got the impression the 360 was largely ignored by Japanese devs. I live in Japan and haven't bought a 360 or PS3 yet and am weighing my options on which one to pick up.

Well yeah, me too, if Cave goes on Xbox one, I HAVE TO get one (and prolly a jp system at that), but from what I've seen so far I'm set on a PS4.

Alienous

Don't expect to be playing Halo 5 on it.

(On a related note, I wonder if, now that the Xbox Live subscription model has changed, the Xbox 360 and Xbox One will be on separate subscriptions?)

As long as it sells hardware and software well. Probably two more years of active support, though most of the big developers and publishers will have started to wean themselves off of current gen by end of next year.

Shaanyboi

Banned
third party support will probably go for another couple years until it gets relegated to "yeah... I guess we'll do a Madden for the 360, because we can"

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I couldn't even begin to guess, but part of me wonders if slow adoption of the XBONE/reluctance of the userbase to move on from 360 will force MS to extend support for it.

...Kind of like the elongated transition away from WinXP.

Well yeah, me too, if Cave goes on Xbox one, I HAVE TO get one (and prolly a jp system at that), but from what I've seen so far I'm set on a PS4.
Unless Sony's television department decides to torpedo anything that won't help them sell 4k TVs, I really don't see this happening.

LeBoef

didnt MS say they will reveal something at e3 for the xbox360 which will have effect on the console for years to come?
so i'd say at least a few more years.

the question is, will the devs support it?

I don't know. I'd expect a year or two just because of the userbase. It won't drop like a rock like the Xbox1 when 360 came out.

Oh, yeah, makes sense.
Xbone is HDMI only by the look of it, I really hope PS4 will have that legacy PS-AV port. Imagine a Cave anthology with every games but no SD and/or 3:4 support :|

Top Bottom