• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

Ashhong

I'm sure I'll see it eventually because I love Nolan's stuff for the most part. But the trailers have just looked really dull from a plot perspective, IMO.

The trailers cannot display the suspense and setup that the movie probably needs. There's not really a plot anyway. People need rescue, see it happen.

Fercho

christopher_nolan_wallpaper_by_thesaygi-d3h45ov.jpg

Beefy

Denofgeek
5/5

For it's some achievement, this film. Very, very accessible (and that's an important point), streamlined, economical and quite, quite brilliant, Dunkirk is – I don't say this lightly – Christopher Nolan at the very top of his game. His best film? Maybe. There's an argument for it at least. More certainly, it's a relentless, engrossing, quite astounding piece of cinema (and cinema it very much is).

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/dunkirk/50738/dunkirk-review

strafer

Feels like when The Last Of Us review thread hit, praise out the ass.

I'm happy for those who looked forward to this, I wont be seeing it, only Nolan movie I'm skipping.

The Independent:

Christopher Nolan’s astonishing new film, a retelling of the Allied evacuation of occupied France in 1940, is a work of heart-hammering intensity and grandeur that demands to be seen on the best and biggest screen within reach. But its spectacle doesn’t stop at the recreations of Second World War combat.

5/5

I'm sure I'll see it eventually because I love Nolan's stuff for the most part. But the trailers have just looked really dull from a plot perspective, IMO.

The plot isn't the point in this movie. It's about the moment-to-moment suspense created through the action, editing and music. Like another reviewer said, "It's an impressionistic spectacle."

http://uproxx.com/movies/dunkirk-review/
But this certainly isn’t a “Harry Styles movie” or a “Tom Hardy movie.” Instead, it’s an experience. And it’s a theatrical experience unlike pretty much anything I’ve seen before. It’s non-stop intensity that will both exhaust a viewer and make one grateful that we didn’t actually have to live through that hell.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07/17/dunkirk-is-the-movie-christopher-nolan-was-born-to-make/
Nolan gives us one of the leanest, most ingenious studio films in quite a while: an intercutting montage of competing timelines that expand and contract and collide in ways both inevitable and surprising. And somehow, it’s also uncharacteristically intimate.

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/movies/why-dunkirk-is-one-of-the-best-war-movies-ever/2330669
Dunkirk is a staggering feat of filmmaking, as Nolan's fans are accustomed. Van Hoytema's cinematography conveys death trap closeness even with IMAX cameras on a vast beach. Hans Zimmer again proves himself a masterfully dramatic composer, turning violins into the sound of spiraling aircraft. The performances are solid as such Nolan's vision requires, including pop star Harry Styles briefly.

Still, Dunkirk left me unexpectedly thrilled, not being a Nolan diehard or a war movie buff in general. But its timeless heroism and state-of-the-art execution makes me think they don't make 'em like Dunkirk anymore. In fact, they never have.

A

The trailers cannot display the suspense and setup that the movie probably needs. There's not really a plot anyway. People need rescue, see it happen.

Oh I'm sure that's the case. But operating off of review reception and faith in Nolan won't compel me to rush to the theater for this. That's more my point. I just think there's no real hook here for me other than "hey Nolan made a WWII movie that's really great". For some people that's enough. For my own personal level of excitement, it's not.

Oh I'm sure that's the case. But operating off of review reception and faith in Nolan won't compel me to rush to the theater for this. That's more my point. I just think there's no real hook here for me other than "hey Nolan made a WWII movie that's really great". For some people that's enough. For my own personal level of excitement, it's not.

Is everyone saying 'this is one of the best films of the year' not a hook in itself?

mnannola

Wow I wonder if this film will do well. Not sure how much everyone is going to be tripping over themselves to go see a WW2 flick, but Nolan + these awesome reviews have to help. How much is this movie predicted to make domestic?

The plot isn't the point in this movie. It's about the moment-to-moment suspense created through the action, editing and music. Like another reviewer said, "It's an impressionistic spectacle."

That's fine. I understand that. And I'm sure all of those parts of the film are second-to-none. I just personally need more of a hook to pull me into the theater. I'm sure I'll see the film eventually and love it. I'm just in no rush to.

Is everyone saying 'this is one of the best films of the year' not a hook in itself?

Not really. There are a ton of really great films that I've seen this year, and pretty much all of them have been after the fact of them being in theaters or being the hot thing. I'll see it eventually, but just being a great film isn't enough for me personally. Like I went to see Baby Driver opening weekend because it was both a great film and was a style of film that hooked me with its promotion and style. Dunkirk just doesn't have that for me. I'm sure I'll love it when I do see it though.

Top Bottom