• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quay Dash - Transphobic EP. She's a trans rapper who came to my attention because she was working with SOPHIE on a track or two. Listening to her EP now, it's pretty solid and varied. I'd recommend it if you want something different to listen to.

I was about to listen to that new Starlito album till I saw it was longer than an hour. Artists need to stop making 1 hour plus projects because there's no chance it'll be consistent throughout and I'm frankly tired having to sift through the garbage for the gold. That's why I haven't bothered listening to the 2 Chainz album or the Khaled album, for that matter.

HiResDes

Quay Dash - Transphobic EP. She's a trans rapper who came to my attention because she was working with SOPHIE on a track or two. Listening to her EP now, it's pretty solid and varied. I'd recommend it if you want something different to listen to.

I was about to listen to that new Starlito album till I saw it was longer than an hour. Artists need to stop making 1 hour plus projects because there's no chance it'll be consistent throughout and I'm frankly tired having to sift through the garbage for the gold. That's why I haven't bothered listening to the 2 Chainz album or the Khaled album, for that matter.
Hot Chicken pretty fire, don't understand the obsession over an albums length or making all of these sort of preconceived judgements about a project without even listening to it. BFT isn't fire just because it's short, GKMC isn't bloated just because it's long there are too many exceptions to the rule yo justify it being a rule.

Isn't Queer Hop a thing? That's an interesting genre to look into, especially as a pro-LGBT person.

Hot Chicken pretty fire, don't understand the obsession over an albums length or making all of these sort of preconceived judgements about a project without even listening to it. BFT isn't fire just because it's short, GKMC isn't bloated just because it's long there are too many exceptions to the rule yo justify it being a rule.
Most, if not all, projects that I've listened though that have been an hour plus have been mediocre. Here's my reasoning: not every person putting out an hour plus album is going to be a Kanye or a Kendrick or a Daft Punk or a Chromatics. For every one of these, there's a Lil Yachty or a DJ Khaled or a Future that make albums with no intent to curate it with only the best tracks. I have no experience with Starlito, so I automatically assumed that his album was going to be on the Future/Yachty side of that divide.

I still plan on listening to the Starlito album, but it's not gonna be now. I hope it upends my preconceived notion.

Also, this is nice: T.Y.E. - 32

Let me elaborate on the link above. The artist, T.Y.E., was a baritone who was good enough to get a full-ride to a famous opera school. Ultimately, he dropped out after being diagnosed with bipolar depression. He created this album after all that, production included. The album flits between genres. Sometimes the production sounds like the lo-fi blown out sound that's become popularized by XXX, other times there's more instrumentiation (piano and some string instrument). I'm enjoying it a lot, and you, anonymous reader, should try it out.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yeah, DAMN is so good. I think it's been a little underrated
At one point it was the highest rated album ever on MC...and now is still tied with TPAB.
I re-played TPAB heavily and for a long time, but DAMN. left my rotation very quickly.
Yup, I can still even put TPAB, and I might only skip a track here are there. DAMN is pretty eh, and pretty disappointing. I knew that it wouldn't reach the highs of TPAB, but it's just an even bigger drop than I thought.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

tenor.gif

Bronx-Man

Banned
Thinking about it, I can't call Big Fish Theory a Great Value Yeezus.

At least on Yeezus, Kanye actually tried matching his flow to the beat
merchant.png

HiResDes

Most, if not all, projects that I've listened though that have been an hour plus have been mediocre. Here's my reasoning: not every person putting out an hour plus album is going to be a Kanye or a Kendrick or a Daft Punk or a Chromatics. For every one of these, there's a Lil Yachty or a DJ Khaled or a Future that make albums with no intent to curate it with only the best tracks. I have no experience with Starlito, so I automatically assumed that his album was going to be on the Future/Yachty side of that divide.

I still plan on listening to the Starlito album, but it's not gonna be now. I hope it upends my preconceived notion.

Also, this is nice: T.Y.E. - 32

Let me elaborate on the link above. The artist, T.Y.E., was a baritone who was good enough to get a full-ride to a famous opera school. Ultimately, he dropped out after being diagnosed with bipolar depression. He created this album after all that, production included. The album flits between genres. Sometimes the production sounds like the lo-fi blown out sound that's become popularized by XXX, other times there's more instrumentiation (piano and some string instrument). I'm enjoying it a lot, and you, anonymous reader, should try it out.
I would go back and listen to the previous Turkeys he has more in common with the old southern trap than the modern approach, some real moments of clarity and loss in his music.

https://soundcloud.com/lito615/the-dui-song-s-prod-bandplay

Viper is not good not even in an ironic way, his best album is shit and thus his second best album is greater shit

How come? He's wavy as fuck and his rapping gets pretty addicting. I won't really defend him that much, but I never really thought I liked his music ironically. Same with Lil' B, honestly. They kind of fall under the rapper who....feel like nothing else?

Everytime I listen to guys like Lil' B, I feel that their personalities and whatnot make their music endearing, oddly enough.

Andrew's possibly the rarest breed of hip-hop fan. How many people could there possibly be that are unironic Viper fans? They're like unicorns. The only thing rarer might be an unironic IceJJFish stan.

HiResDes

I don't think he can rap at all I don't actually want to ever listen to his music it's actually kind of motonous and genius that's been afforded to his idiotic approach to music has come from delusional blog writers trying to find depth in a rap persona so devoid of talent or musicality that the its roughness is misunderstood as purposeful.

Lil B can actually rap and craft anthems when he feels up to it, you just have to sift through a a twenty song tape to find a couple of them.

5. Take Me to Your Leader
4. Vaudeville Villain
3. Operation: Doomsday
2. Mm.. Food
1. Madvillainy

I'd swipe Vaudeville Villain with Operation Doomsday, but I love this list. the Mouse and the Mask I would probably put after Doomsday, though (even if I think it's lyrically overrated).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom