• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

kromeo

O2 just say from April 28th, no idea when they'll actually send it. Costs nearly £150 more over the 2 years than my S6 did as well :(

So where are the reviews where they say the display is sometimes not good?
The time in the top right is how I saw it in person and it's certainly not supposed to look that way, otherwise people wouldn't be praising its quality.
An impossible-to-overlook flaw on an otherwise perfect phone.

Jeffrey

Both verge articles mention all the biometric things have issues.

Face login just doesn't seem to work lol.

Time to see if other reviews mention this.

Yeah, just finished watching the video and i noticed that was the only thing that is a 'blemish' on an otherwise amazing device.

too bad about the placement of the fingerprint reader, i used it a lot on my s7 because how quick it was. maybe some updates down the road will improve the iris scanner and face recognition.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I just picked up my 8+. It's so beautiful!

Possibly silly question - does everything that's needed for DeX mode come with the phone itself, or do you have to purchase the dock thing separately?

Interested in seeing reviews of call quality and download speeds on T-Mobile. They are using new tech in this one to use 5ghz spectrum for reception.

Watched/read a few reviews. Really great phones, but Bixby seems to be useless, hot garbage in its current state, and the fingerprint sensor location is indeed very annoying.

BraXzy

My midnight black S8 preorder from Very.co.uk wasn't going to be arriving early (but I got 10% off).

Today I got an email saying the delivery date has been bumped up to the 20th... YYYYYES!

GS8Speedtest1_low.jpg

umm, that is crazy. Sure, its a self contained test with optimal conditions, but damn. The phone can handle speeds that high? Whoa, im sweatin.. VIDEO

Jeffrey

So from the videos I've seen. A compromise I see to using the fingerprint scanner without stretching your finger like crazy is 2 hand it.

One hand holds the phone while other index finger on other hand reaches around.

Not ideal but should be second nature at some point.

MrMobile from android authority gave the iris scanner a pretty positive review even with glasses.

So from the videos I've seen. A compromise I see to using the fingerprint scanner without stretching your finger like crazy is 2 hand it.

One hand holds the phone while other index finger on other hand reaches around.

Not ideal but should be second nature at some point.

I don't know if it's just me that notices, but the fingerprint​ scanner is in the EXACT same place they put the heart rate scanner on the S7/edge, under the flash.

Again don't know if it's just me, but that is easy as hell to get my finger on. I don't exactly have small hands but I don't need to use two hands to reach that in the slightest. It's nothing more than a grip adjustment.

Coupled with the fact that basically every phone case has a deliberate sloping ridge to guide your finger to it, it's pretty easy to find too.

I've had my S7E since launch so I know it inside out now, but I have a pretty good feeling that in time, having the scanner on the S8 where the S7s heart rate monitor is, will be less and less of an issue.

Picking mine up on Friday. S8+.

Went to a store today to check it out and while the finger print sensor placement is pretty bad, I think most people will get used to it. Depends on what hand you hold your phone with.

I have fairly large hands and I didn't have an issue reaching my left index finger to it and learning not to hit the camera.

I guess it's easier if you normally hold your phone in the left hand like I do. Will be an issue for people that hold it with their right hand. You will constantly be smudging the camera lens reaching past it.

As far as the hardware goes, you really need to see it in person. Pictures don't do it justice.

I think it's the best looking phone ever made.

Sanjuro

Picking mine up on Friday. S8+.

Went to a store today to check it out and while the finger print sensor placement is pretty bad, I think most people will get used to it. Depends on what hand you hold your phone with.

I have fairly large hands and I didn't have an issue reaching my left index finger to it and learning not to hit the camera.

I guess it's easier if you normally hold your phone in the left hand like I do. Will be an issue for people that hold it with their right hand. You will constantly be smudging the camera lens reaching past it.

As far as the hardware goes, you really need to see it in person. Pictures don't do it justice.

I think it's the best looking phone ever made.

I love the one on the S7. Like being able to keep the phone flat and map to all of my fingers.

Top Bottom