• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, about Metroid "Metroid Prime" Trademark Renewed this year.

Malvingt2

I wanted to wait until VGX fever went out the way before making this thread.

On Friday, May 11, 2001, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for METROID PRIME by Nintendo of America Inc., Redmond, WA 98052. The USPTO has given the METROID PRIME trademark serial number of 76255608. The current federal status of this trademark filing is REGISTERED AND RENEWED. The correspondent listed for METROID PRIME is Jerald E. Nagae, Reg. No. 29,418 of Christensen O'Connor Johnson Kindness, 1420 FIFTH AVENUE, SUITE 2800, SEATTLE WA 98101-2347 . The METROID PRIME trademark is filed in the category of Computer & Software Products & Electrical & Scientific Products . The description provided to the USPTO for METROID PRIME is Computer game software; computer game discs; computer game programs; electronic game programs; electronic game software; electronic game discs; interactive computer game discs; interactive video game discs; interactive video game programs; interactive computer game programs; interactive video game software; interactive computer game software; video game discs; video game programs; video game software.

Word Mark: METROID PRIME
Status/ REGISTERED AND RENEWED
Status Date: 8/13/2013
Serial Number: 76255608
Filing Date: 5/11/2001
Registration Number: 2762377
Registration Date: 9/9/2003

http://www.trademarkia.com/metroid-prime-76255608.html

this Renewed is very interesting to me. For anyone who is curious this is Metroid's trademark pages

2009: http://www.trademarkia.com/metroid-77749727.html

1987 one: http://www.trademarkia.com/metroid-73680072.html

They are all active.

Tadale

I feel like Other M was like double punishment for Metroid fans. First, we dealt with a sub-par game that was too simplified and missed the point of why people like the series in the first place; then after relatively poor sales, Nintendo seems to have left the series to languish. We can't catch a break.

And for as much shit as Other M gets, MP3 sort of started the series down that direction with more outside characters, segmented worlds, and forced narrative. It's almost been 10 years since the last great Metroid games: Prime 2 and Zero Mission.

Depends. Let me make an example. Nintendo didn't renew Xenoblade trademark. Anyone can take it right now..

Wait, what?! Xenoblade only came out, what, two years ago? But the trademark's already expired?!

Granted I don't really know how trademarks work, but this seems pretty ridiculous.

Pociask

I feel like Other M was like double punishment for Metroid fans. First, we dealt with a sub-par game that was too simplified and missed the point of why people like the series in the first place; then after relatively poor sales, Nintendo seems to have left the series to languish. We can't catch a break.

And for as much shit as Other M gets, MP3 sort of started the series down that direction with more outside characters, segmented worlds, and forced narrative. It's almost been 10 years since the last great Metroid games: Prime 2 and Zero Mission.

It sucks. I am a huge MP1 and 2 fan. I bought 3, but... it just didn't click. Never bought Other M, even when it was on sale for 5 bucks. Still kicking myself I never bought the Trilogy (why was that a limited print run? wouldn't it print money for Nintendo to have it as a player's choice title for 20 bucks?)

Dascu

Depends. Let me make an example. Nintendo didn't renew Xenoblade trademark. Anyone can take it right now..

...No. Xenoblade is recent and popular enough that, even if not registered, it belongs to Nintendo because it's "in use". I should mention here that trademark law is arranged in such a way, that the more you use a product and the more famous the association is with the publisher, the less need there is for registration. It makes more sense to register Eternal Darkness, as to avoid any confusion with Dyack and his Kickstarter failings, than it does to register Super Mario.

Mael

Actually Other M is really closer to....Metroid Fusion.
You know the game that came out at the same time as Metroid Prime....1.
Heck Other M is even less interesting because really it's just retread of Metroid Fusion except lamer and crappier.

Hiccup

Banned
Heck Other M is even less interesting because really it's just retread of Metroid Fusion except lamer and crappier.

Heh. I just realized this. Wow. It really is Fusion.

Lunar15

...No. Xenoblade is recent and popular enough that, even if not registered, it belongs to Nintendo because it's "in use". I should mention here that trademark law is arranged in such a way, that the more you use a product and the more famous the association is with the publisher, the less need there is for registration. It makes more sense to register Eternal Darkness, as to avoid any confusion with Dyack and his Kickstarter failings, than it does to register Super Mario.

Side Note: I just clicked on your member title out of curiosity, and it took me to an Other M hype page. Man, the difference between then and now...

Malvingt2

So why renewed Metroid Prime when Metroid still active?

Tadale

I see your point, but I feel like text in an elevator is a whole lot less intrusive than the cut scenes in Other M and MP3 (though I could be misremembering in MP3). I think you have more of a point with the overt segmentation in Fusion - but for whatever reason I'm still able to enjoy that game.

The list thing, real quick: Super Metroid > Metroid Prime > Zero Mission > Prime 2 > Fusion > Metroid 2 > Metroid > Prime 3 > Other M

Dascu

Side Note: I just clicked on your member title out of curiosity, and it took me to an Other M hype page. Man, the difference between then and now...

I still like it. Shame the story turned so many people off, but I seriously appreciated the 2.5D gameplay aspect and fast combat.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I started playing Fusion well after I played Other M, and my first thought was, "Wow, so this is where all that nonsense started."

Luckily, Fusion actually managed to still turn into a good game despite the hand holding and order following. "Go to this sector. Now go to this sector."

Because Metroid Prime is not.

Dascu

Because Metroid is not Metroid Prime. They haven't been using, advertizing or publishing new Prime games for a while now, so the association to Nintendo is a lot less strong than the franchise in general.

My main point is that trademark renewal means absolutely nothing and is not some kind of hint that they're working on a new product, unless they suddenly revive an old IP from over ten years ago.

Malvingt2

Because Metroid Prime is not.
duh

Because Metroid is not Metroid Prime. They haven't been using, advertizing or publishing new Prime games for a while now, so the association to Nintendo is a lot less strong than the franchise in general.

My main point is that trademark renewal means absolutely nothing and is not some kind of hint that they're working on a new product, unless they suddenly revive an old IP from over ten years ago.

I see, I get your point. Thanks for sharing the info.

Gardex

I see your point, but I feel like text in an elevator is a whole lot less intrusive than the cut scenes in Other M and MP3 (though I could be misremembering in MP3). I think you have more of a point with the overt segmentation in Fusion - but for whatever reason I'm still able to enjoy that game.

The list thing, real quick: Super Metroid > Metroid Prime > Zero Mission > Prime 2 > Fusion > Metroid 2 > Metroid > Prime 3 > Other M

You're most likely misremembering MP3. It has some dialogue in the beginning to set the tone and story for the rest of the game. Then it becomes a Metroid Prime game just like the previous two ones, except now you're jumping from planet to planet instead of area to area. WHile that does make it a bit more segmented, it doesn't really end up feeling different. I just treat the spacetravel as elevators/portals from the previous games.

I found it to be the strongest entry in the Trilogy(granted, not by much at all).

Zalman

I think it's obvious they're going to make a Prime 4 after Donkey Kong. I just want to know whether Retro Studios have two teams or not. They confirmed some time ago that they only had one, but when Geoff asked them at VGX the guy said "can't say" as if it's suddenly a secret.

Mael

Seriously, it's actually way worse since at least something is resolved by the end of Fusion.
Here nothing is solved, there's not even a real reason why Samus is even there and really nothing would have been lost if she skipped town and ignored the distress signal.
Heck there's only 1 thing that's remotely interesting in this whole mess :
the small metroid Samus saved in Metroid 2 was a larvae metroid with queen potential, the rest is absolute garbage and goes nowhere.

You misremember, only the start of MP3 is like that, it's straight up a Prime game when you get the phazon enhanced suit.

Pociask

I think it's obvious they're going to make a Prime 4 after Donkey Kong. I just want to know whether Retro Studios have two teams or not. They confirmed some time ago that they only had one, but when Geoff asked them at VGX the guy said "can't say" as if it's suddenly a secret.

My guess is that the poor guy had a 30 second "Media Training" that consisted of "DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING EXCEPT DONKEY KONG OR ELSE REGGIE WILL EAT YOU."

CreepyReggie.jpg

So does this mean there could potentially be a Prime HD Collection?

I could see them doing this, much like Windwaker HD, to keep series Hype up while they work on the next installment. It would be interesting to see how they retool the motion-based Prime 3 for the Wii U Gamepad.

Madao

so, if the discussion here is true, can someone go and sweep F-Zero from nintendo? it doesn't look like they have renewed that ever.

LDAF

So does this mean there could potentially be a Prime HD Collection?

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD would be sooo nice...oh, or maybe Metroid Prime Hunters 2 is in the works for the 3DS. I know that NST was hiring more people who had knowledge in the online space some time ago.

I just want a new Metroid game :(

Prime, 2D, I don´t care.

I just don´t want it to play like Other M.

That was imo the biggest crime of Other M: The gameplay was really bad.

I could ignore the story, but the gameplay was inexcusable.

Lunar15

Totally nothing. So nothing that you don't even know the difference between a patent and a trademark.

Oops, accidentally said patent instead of trademark.

It's still nothing though! Thanks for your charming attitude in helping me correct my mistake.

Top Bottom