• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale gone gold ; final boss revealed

antic604

Banned
I was shocked to see it, but the game was already available last Friday 12th Nov in Saturn stores in Warsaw, Poland. I snatched it at once, because my son wanted it desperately for his birthday - he was willing to wait 5 weeks for it, luckily it turned out 3 was enough :)

Anyway, the game is much better than I expected. I only saw my son play it, but the mechanics seem fun, with a lot of depth for those that want to dive in, but simple enough for button mashing. The 'campaigns' are quite short - my son started with Ratchet on easy difficulty and within 30-40 minutes went through to Polygon boss and conquered it. Then he started with Sly on middle difficulty and it's already much tougher. Obviously the on-line doesn't work yet and I'm yet to see how it plays for 1-4 players locally. There's a code for free Vita download, but I don't have one so can't say how it compares.

The thing that impressed me the most is graphics - very detailed, sharp, with barely any jaggies, colourful and very lively. The stages change and morph all the time, mixing themes and objects from various PlayStation games. So far my favourites were GoW, Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted and the final level with Polygon.

Will try to make some time to play it over the weekend and will report back!

Salsa

yeah okay I highly dislike what I played of this game and I pretty much hate it in principle

but Polygon Man being the final boss is pretty fucking badass

Drencrom

Let this be a lesson to you Frank; never buy anything from gamestop, they're pure dogshit.

I wouldn't have but fuckin Sony let me to believe it was the only fuckin place to get the costumes and they gave info on digital preorder fuckin WEEK before release ;(.

That's why you should've waited until a week before release like yours truly.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Let this be a lesson to you Frank; never buy anything from gamestop, they're pure dogshit.

This is true. I have a friend who works for Gamestop and the stories I hear are rarely happy. I'm getting my copy from there, but only because it's literally next door to my work and I know the employees. Not a fan of the chain.

vg260

Well, I'm giving up a discount at Newegg to go digital. I much prefer it for convenience. The preorder costumes better be included or I'll be bummed. That and hopefully if there's any update in the near future it will be in the form of downloadable patches.

That extra $20 I got from spending $100 in October completely went towards this game on the PSN. Worked out pretty well

Some new info I'm seeing around from supposed leaks in case anyone is curious

-You unlock minions on Level 8 and costumes on Level 10
-1 playthrough of the character's arcade mode is enough to get to level 10
-there are 6 difficulty settings for CPUs
-Minions exist to cheer you on, ex: when you kill everyone with a Super they appear with fireworks.
-Rivalry cutscenes are CGI but opening cutscenes are hand-drawn images.

So far my favourites were GoW, Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted and the final level with Polygon.

Can You please detail this??

That's why you should've waited until a week before release like yours truly.

Argh, paid $5 for the preorder at EB Games-- problem is these guys have covers that NEVER have inside cover art. Do you get inside cover art, other Canada GAF? Maybe I should cancel and go digital

That extra $20 I got from spending $100 in October completely went towards this game on the PSN. Worked out pretty well

Some new info I'm seeing around from supposed leaks in case anyone is curious

-You unlock minions on Level 8 and costumes on Level 10
-1 playthrough of the character's arcade mode is enough to get to level 10
-there are 6 difficulty settings for CPUs
-Minions exist to cheer you on, ex: when you kill everyone with a Super they appear with fireworks.
-Rivalry cutscenes are CGI but opening cutscenes are hand-drawn images.

That last point sounds like it could get trashed on, unless other fighter games do the same thing? I know games like Tekkn 5 did it, but that was last gen. How does Smash do it?

So I just read how the final boss plays from PS forums:

If you thought that it was going to be a fight withPolygon characters, pat yourself on the back and have a cookie!

It goes as follows, and this is what the person told me..

"Polygon summons a single polygon enemy, (didnt say if it was specific or randomized). Once you kill that enemy, you can attack polygon man and hurt him a bit.

Afterwards he retreats, summons 2 polygon enemies, then after killing them, you attack Polygon man and hurt him more. again he retreats.

Lastly he summons 3, same deal, only you kill polygon man after those 3. Thats the boss fight in a nutshell

And as i was typing this he said the stage is "on a purple stage, like the rivals' blue stage"

Thoughts?

SmithnCo

I was shocked to see it, but the game was already available last Friday 12th Nov in Saturn stores in Warsaw, Poland. I snatched it at once, because my son wanted it desperately for his birthday - he was willing to wait 5 weeks for it, luckily it turned out 3 was enough :)

Anyway, the game is much better than I expected. I only saw my son play it, but the mechanics seem fun, with a lot of depth for those that want to dive in, but simple enough for button mashing. The 'campaigns' are quite short - my son started with Ratchet on easy difficulty and within 30-40 minutes went through to Polygon boss and conquered it. Then he started with Sly on middle difficulty and it's already much tougher. Obviously the on-line doesn't work yet and I'm yet to see how it plays for 1-4 players locally. There's a code for free Vita download, but I don't have one so can't say how it compares.

The thing that impressed me the most is graphics - very detailed, sharp, with barely any jaggies, colourful and very lively. The stages change and morph all the time, mixing themes and objects from various PlayStation games. So far my favourites were GoW, Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted and the final level with Polygon.

Thanks for the impressions. Do you know if you play the level with Polygon Man in multiplayer or is it just for story mode?

You know what's sad, all the modes that were leaked arent going to be in the game :(

I mean, CTF, Free Roam, etc. Those sounded cool.

I hope the stat tracking is super deep

SmithnCo

Yeah it really just depends on how long everything takes/how much time I actually decide to spend in random online the first week

Playing through arcade with everyone might be the most tedious part, but since you can get up to level 10 and get all their costumes it'll be worth doing just for that.

If you can wait till I get my game :3.

Just subtract the trophy dates :p

I wish the plat was harder though, I mean, where are the trophies for challenge mode?

This stream is the last chance to reveal any new modes like free roam, ctf, koth... I just really want them to show off Challenge mode. So much potential, but I keep fearing they did a bare minimum with it.

Just subtract the trophy dates :p

I wish the plat was harder though, I mean, where are the trophies for challenge mode?

This stream is the last chance to reveal any new modes like free roam, ctf, koth... I just really want them to show off Challenge mode. So much potential, but I keep fearing they did a bare minimum with it.

They will show some whacky FFA games in metropolis with Kratos, Radec, Sweet Tooth and Parappa :3.

pantsmith

Watching the stream right now, and I start wondering...

Have any "figureheads" of new/niche game become as iconic, as quickly, as Omar has?

Obviously he's not Miyamoto, and he's not even Tak Fuji, but the PSBR communities are all in love with his iconic deadpan (he dresses well, too. hah) Even my friend was like "Who is this super serious guy I keep seeing in All Stars stuff?"

Are we looking at a future gaming celebrity?

Have any "figureheads" of a game become as iconic, as quickly, as Omar has?

Obviously he's not Miyamoto, and he's not even Tak Fuji, but the PSBR communities are all in love with his iconic dead pan (he dresses well, too. hah)

He just stands out since he allways looks like he wants to kill everyone in the room :3.

Sid

Have any "figureheads" of new/niche game become as iconic, as quickly, as Omar has?

Obviously he's not Miyamoto, and he's not even Tak Fuji, but the PSBR communities are all in love with his iconic deadpan (he dresses well, too. hah) Even my friend was like "Who is this super serious guy I keep seeing in All Stars stuff?"

Omar is iconic? I thought people just saw him as a generic bald guy.

Top Bottom