• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

Ray Down

Banned
More ninja missions in part 1 were definitely sorely missing. We definitely needed to see more bro bonding and good guy Sasuke. Maybe sometimes focusing on other teams, like the Hidan/Kakuzu arc focused on Asuma and Shikamaru. With all of the retrospective knowledge we have, I definitely wanted to see more of other countries, especially Earth and Water. It didn't even have to be the ninja villages. Earth/Stone didn't become remotely relevant (outside of Deidara) until the last arc in the series. Not cool.

Kishi even admit more missions were planned but were forced to move to the Chunin arc.

Sai

Kishi even admit more missions were planned but were forced to move to the Chunin arc.
So it was a matter of ratings.

That's too bad, the Wave Country is a high point for a lot of readers, and concluded nicely. Sometimes a manga's success depends just as much on something as random as the time in which it debuted, as it does its actual quality.

I've always wanted to know how Naruto's ratings were after the first major story arc, because usually shōnen mangaka resort to tournament arcs when their manga starts dropping in the polls.

Naruto would have benifitted heavily from maintaining a more adventurous tone before going into something like the Chūnin Exam—showing more of Team 7's missions, and building up the close bonds Naruto and Sasuke in particular were supposed to have.

A lot more world building and exploration could have been accomplished with that too. So much of what Kishimoto did reveal about the world outside of Konoha felt wasted by the end of Part 2.

I don't believe we have access to such early sales data but the rhetoric goes that Kishi did have plans for more missions, however due to Naruto being such a hit was advised to quickly move onto the more juicy tournament arc.

Ray Down

Banned
So it was a matter of ratings.

That's too bad, the Wave Country is a high point for a lot of readers, and concluded nicely. Sometimes a manga's success depends just as much on something as random as the time in which it debuted, as it does its actual quality.

It wasn't due to ratings, just editor involvement.

Sesha

I would have probably enjoyed Naruto way more had there been more missions before the Chuunin exam. I've long felt things post-Wave were a bit rushed. It might have given Kishimoto more time to plan out the series too, as he's said he had initially planned things to the end of the Chuunin exam. I can't remember if that included the Destruction of Konoha stuff too.

Having a few more months pass would have made the power jumps during the long arcs feel more natural as well.

rambis

Banned
http://m.imgur.com/a/xdFtj

New tidbits from the Jump interview

*Kishi reviews every chapter from Boruto. Said its impossible for him to look as a "fan" becauses he's so entrenched.

* Naruto story was "dark", Boruto to be much funner/light hearted.

* Sasuke and Naruto are way too powerful, the kids will fight on a much smaller scale.

*Kishi wouldnt call Boruto lazy, rather crafty and more understanding of how the world works

Sounds interesting to me. Seems like this story won't take itself too seriously. Also seems like there won't be any more power creeps.

Mendrox

*Kishi reviews every chapter from Boruto. Said its impossible for him to look as a "fan" becauses he's so entrenched.

* Naruto story was "dark", Boruto to be much funner/light hearted.

* Sasuke and Naruto are way too powerful, the kids will fight on a much smaller scale.

*Kishi wouldnt call Boruto lazy, rather crafty and more understanding of how the world works

Sounds interesting to me. Seems like this story won't take itself too seriously. Also seems like there won't be any more power creeps.

This shit doesn't make any sense with the first chapter of Boruto lol

rambis

Banned
This shit doesn't make any sense with the first chapter of Boruto lol
Im guessing you mean the first pages?He spoke on that as well. Its to hype readers up and let them know that suspense is coming. I took that to mean that the manga will hop off to a slow start after the movie stuff.

comes in here after a long hiatus
sees interview link

reads it

gets to the part of Naruto and Sakura
jRuP9aW.png
Looks at OT title

I am sorry for anyone that actually was part of the NaruSaku fandom

I mean Kishi could've saved us from that bloodbath from the last thread

Ray Down

Banned
sees interview link

reads it

Looks at OT title

Kishi just in it for the bucks he don't care.

ghstwrld

sounds like retroactive mess tbh

i mean, beyond him contradicting himself in other interviews, hinata's lack of presence and impact in the actual story doesn't really support his claims

sees interview link

reads it

Looks at OT title

I call bullshit on this.

No way he'd give Hinata next to no attention and set up all those parallels to Minato/Kushina, Jiraiya/Tsunade and Obito/Rin if Naruto and Sakura weren't originally intended to end up together.

Even Sai and Yamato were hinting at it.

sees interview link

reads it

Looks at OT title

You mean the Kishi that sidelined Hinata throughout much of the story and continued to tease NaruSaku till the last arc?

I call bullshit on this.

No way he'd give Hinata next to no attention and set up all those parallels to Minato/Kushina, Jiraiya/Tsunade and Obito/Rin if Naruto and Sakura weren't originally intended to end up together.

Even Sai and Yamato were hinting at it.

Hinata was given next to no attention due to being an overall uninteresting character for Kishi. Tsunade loves Dan, Rin never loved Obito, and neither Sai and Yamato even know Team 7's history or Sakura.

Kishi deciding on pairings early on is nothing new, the VAs knew SS was endgame 15 years ago, but people fail to realise Kishi continued to tease throughout the story for drama and continued interest with the readership.

Pein

Banned
You know when I got over the naruto and sakura thing I was heavily invested to? when they show Boruto and Himawari at the end of the last. That was so sweet I wouldn't wanna strip away that happiness from Naruto lol.

You know when I got over the naruto and sakura thing I was heavily invested to? when they show Boruto and Himawari at the end of the last. That was so sweet I wouldn't wanna strip away that happiness from Naruto lol.
I think at the end of it all Hinata made him happier than Sakura could've. Sakura and Naruto are friends and sometimes your friend can't be your lover. Hinata's sweet though and probably has a better tolerance for Naruto's emotional dumbness than Sakura could've. Besides Sakura wanted Edgelord Uchiha.

Syntsui

So I was getting excited to read this... But holy shit at those first few pages. I don't want to get invested in this after knowing that shit will happen, no amount of asspulling could make that shit a believable event in the universe Kishimoto built.

That interview is ridiculous also.

Moaradin

Boruto is just gonna become a Dragon Ball Super situation where people just watch the anime. Sure, there's a manga for it, but it's probably gonna become a glorified advertisement for the anime at this rate.

TUSR

Banned
Exactly. Ikemoto and the new writer are trash. Its so sad to see most of the Naruto fandom not even giving a fuck about this new series.

Kishi ;___;

My brother and I drove round trip 8 hours to see the Boruto movie and have been avid followers of the Naruto manga and anime.

Unfortunately, we both do not care about this new series.

Syntsui

Boruto is just gonna become a Dragon Ball Super situation where people just watch the anime. Sure, there's a manga for it, but it's probably gonna become a glorified advertisement for the anime at this rate.

Even the kids won't give a fuck about the anime once they see that bulshit of the first pages, unless they anime adaptation completely ignores that, which would be the only thing that could save it.

Khezu

Even the kids won't give a fuck about the anime once they see that bulshit of the first pages, unless they anime adaptation completely ignores that, which would be the only thing that could save it.

You are giving children and young teens far too much credit.

I say that as someone who used to be a child/young teen.

My brother and I drove round trip 8 hours to see the Boruto movie and have been avid followers of the Naruto manga and anime.

Unfortunately, we both do not care about this new series.

Most of us don't and it makes me sad as a Naruto fan but I can accept Kishi's end with 700 and Boruto the movie. I'm happy with that and will enjoy the memories of being part of the fandom.

Even NarutoGAF. I how crazy the hype was back then for each new chapter, especially when we learnt about the series coming to a close. Naruto vs Sasuke, the pairing wars, the day when 699/700 released here, Gaiden with all its shenanigans and the excitement from Boruto the movie. Sure this place is pretty dead right now but its still nice to talk about those times every now and then.

Considering how big Naruto as a franchise is, I'm sure there will be a day Kishi returns.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm pretty excited to see where the Boruto series goes, it just hasn't done anything besides retell the movie yet.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I am so pissed that we haven't had a single episode with Naruto and Hinata doing dumb filler shit together
I watched the 1 hour special thing for Naruto and Hinata wedding. Holy shit it was fucking terrible, bunch of unfunny jokes and gags. Just show me Hinata and Naruto in dates, Hiashi's reaction to his daughter getting married to the most sought after bachelor in the Narutoverse, the Hyuuga's reaction of someone marrying outside the clan etc... etc...

Instead we got some annoying kids in the first part of the special and some seriously hideous art in the second.

rambis

Banned
Most of us don't and it makes me sad as a Naruto fan but I can accept Kishi's end with 700 and Boruto the movie. I'm happy with that and will enjoy the memories of being part of the fandom.

Even NarutoGAF. I how crazy the hype was back then for each new chapter, especially when we learnt about the series coming to a close. Naruto vs Sasuke, the pairing wars, the day when 699/700 released here, Gaiden with all its shenanigans and the excitement from Boruto the movie. Sure this place is pretty dead right now but its still nice to talk about those times every now and then.

Considering how big Naruto as a franchise is, I'm sure there will be a day Kishi returns.
Lol Kishi works on every chapter of Boruto. Im not sure he ever put the series down for an extended time.

Sai

Kishimoto has something of an advisory role when it comes to Boruto. He pretty much described it as such in an interview with SJ months ago.

No, he's not writing anything new that comes from this new serialization, but his approval is involved somewhere between the manuscript being penned, and the chapter being published.

When the hell is Boruto coming out? Last I checked they just finished the movie stuff right? So is the story finally continuing? Is it confirmed monthly or biweekly? Sorry if I'm late on this stuff.

I'd definitely watch the anime too if there was one.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
When the hell is Boruto coming out? Last I checked they just finished the movie stuff right? So is the story finally continuing? Is it confirmed monthly or biweekly? Sorry if I'm late on this stuff.

I'd definitely watch the anime too if there was one.
Anime in April I think.

Also, what's the deal with Naruto getting shit on in OT this past week or so? IIRC the first few pages of the first Manga OT were the same. It's weird how general opinion parrots how bad the series got. It was great up until Pain and the War arc wasn't that bad. I'd say other series had far worse declines (Bleach, Dragon Ball GT after the first arc, even Yu Yu Hakusho's last arc wasn't as good as the rest...)

Moaradin

Anime in April I think.

Also, what's the deal with Naruto getting shit on in OT this past week or so? IIRC the first few pages of the first Manga OT were the same. It's weird how general opinion parrots how bad the series got. It was great up until Pain and the War arc wasn't that bad. I'd say other series had far worse declines (Bleach, Dragon Ball GT after the first arc, even Yu Yu Hakusho's last arc wasn't as good as the rest...)

Last arc of YYH walks circles around most arcs in Naruto, even if that is the weakest in the series.

Kishimoto has something of an advisory role when it comes to Boruto. He pretty much described it as such in an interview with SJ months ago.

No, he's not writing anything new that comes from this new serialization, but his approval is involved somewhere between the manuscript being penned, and the chapter being published.

I don't believe thats of any worth other than giving him a role so they can flaunt his name. If he's not involved creatively and believe me, if he was involved creatively, WSJ would be advertising it all over the place, then it means very little.

Even with this recap we have seen deviations from Kishi's canon. Ikemoto thinks he can run the series but has no idea what made the series so great in the first place and thats why the series will continue to flop.

Anime in April I think.

I never stick around in those threads, I make my one comment and never look back. They're all painfully predictable.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Manga will begin a NEW arc with its upcoming chapter 10, set to be released officially on 27th February 2017. The chapter will be 44 pages long including colour page. Volume 3 of Boruto Manga will also be released on the 27th February.

I'm ready

Edit: http://www.spirallingsphere.com/2017...nters-new-arc/
awesome

SolVanderlyn

Shinki is Gaara's son?
I don't think the movie had that tidbit at all, lol.

Top Bottom