• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
"Her" is a typo
https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney...pewdiepie-after-anti-semitic-posts-1487034533

He was under Maker Studios which is a Disney content network
Millions of people have watched a Jan. 11 video by YouTube's biggest star that included two men laughing as they held a banner that read, ”Death to all Jews."
Sever ties with this thread if old

MOD EDIT for context:

2017-02-13.jpg

WSJ video report about this article showing clips of the videos mentioned in the article: http://www.wsj.com/video/disney-cut...pie/AF3B6886-3245-4C48-AD5D-098F1E1ABEA9.html

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
isn't this that famous guy that kids watch on youtube all the time?

had no idea he was a nazi, what a piece of shit

I'm a fan of his new humor where he seems genuine and open to have more dark humor. This isn't dark humor though.

His actions were incredibly stupid and he deserves to lose brand partnerships. I think about the young children that will watch his videos and think saying "death to Jews" is funny or a joke. You have high schoolers in Texas saying "hail Hitler" as a "joke" as well.

We are passed the point where YouTubers can argue that they do not have a moral and corporate responsibility to not spread bigotry through the means of "jokes" and "pranks".

Is Markiplier the only big youtuber who isn't a piece of shit? Oh and the Grumps.

Markiplier pushed his old editors to the point of quitting by forcing them to do too much in a day and complaining about the quality of their work, then they left and started working for the Game Grumps.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm a fan of his new humor where he seems genuine.

His actions were incredibly stupid and he deserves to lose brand partnerships. I think about the young children that will watch his videos and think saying "death to Jews" is funny or a joke. You have high schoolers in Texas saying "hail Hitler" as a "joke" as well.

We are passed the point where YouTubers can argue that they do not have a moral and corporate responsibility to not spread bigotry through the means of "jokes" and "pranks".

But this is his new humor, right? I mean this happened recently.

But this is his new humor, right? I mean this happened recently.

New humor as in for him to be more dark and adult-like with his jokes. This isn't humorous. You can have a skit were you acknowledge the rise in populist behavior that led to Nazi Germany, which he has and I think are funny, but there is a line that was crossed when he paid two guys to hold up a sign saying "Death to Jews"

Tagyhag

What ties does he have with Disney? All I know is that he was given special park privileges when he went to Disneyland/California Adventure.

Why would you even make a joke like this when kids make up a huge percentage of your fanbase?

I don't think most of them realize just how many kids watch them, either way he seems to be trying to have more "adult-oriented" videos so he probably assumed nothing bad would happen.

But yeah, suuuuch a stupid move on his part.

I'm a fan of his new humor where he seems genuine and open to have more dark humor. This isn't dark humor though.

Yep, they are pop culture icons now. They have a responsibility to be role models or at the very least, not be idiots who do shit like this, just like any other people that kids might look up too or enjoy on a regular basis.

I'm a fan of his new humor where he seems genuine.

Just like kids in Toronto who say "allahu akbar" or make jokes about Islam simply because of all the nonsense out there in the public with regards to Muslims. It's aggravating, stupid, and asinine. I really can't understand why that's considered "humourous" along with the Hitler stuff you mentioned (which I also hear over here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom